Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the hell aren't there more "space opera" / futuristic CRPGs?

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
I tried to watch the first few episodes of the original series, but found it was a bit too slow paced to get into, I might give it another go at some point.

Did everyone see the trailer for Isaac Asimov's Foundation?

The Dune one should be this month too.

Cael

Arcane
It's not worth it man, he already misinterpreted what two people said, acted aggressive/defensive..... ..his ego is up and he won't back down now
Says the lying cunt who deliberately misinterpreted what I said about fantasy being familiar to most people compared to sci-fi. I can't get any plainer than that, but you somehow turned that into some sort of debate on psychology and made all sorts of defamatory claims about what I said.

Cael

Arcane
This is where you are wrong. Analogs of elves and orcs were in old European tales for a long time. The dwarves (a staple of fantasy which you conveniently ignored) have been around for millennia
Dwarves were probably nature spirits like Dryads and probably related to Elves originally. Goblins were just malicious house spirits and not a race or warriors or related to Orcs. Sorry to say this if it means a lot to you, but it's still cool without having to be exaggerated.
Dwarves were outright in Nordic mythology... I don't think you really know what you are talking about.
The Prose Edda describes the dwarves as the maggots of Ymir's flesh. While the Poetic Edda states that they are made out of Ymir's (Blainn) blood. But since they are noted as denizens of Svartalfheim they are associated with the Svart Alf (Svart (black) alf (elves)). But then again in slavic mythology dwarf like entities are helpful beings of spiritual nature. On the other hand the etymological meaning of dwergaz is associated with harm. Nevertheless Tolkien referred to the germanic "norse" understanding of dwarves from the Eddas as crafty and skilled smiths and brewers that are living inside the earth like maggots in Ymir's flesh.
Note: Svartalfheim = Svartalfarheimr
I was thinking more of the dwarves that crafted Sif's hair and a myriad of other stuff worn/used by the Norse gods in their mythology.

Darkzone

Arcane
The Prose Edda describes the dwarves as the maggots of Ymir's flesh. While the Poetic Edda states that they are made out of Ymir's (Blainn) blood. But since they are noted as denizens of Svartalfheim they are associated with the Svart Alf (Svart (black) alf (elves)). But then again in slavic mythology dwarf like entities are helpful beings of spiritual nature. On the other hand the etymological meaning of dwergaz is associated with harm. Nevertheless Tolkien referred to the germanic "norse" understanding of dwarves from the Eddas as crafty and skilled smiths and brewers that are living inside the earth like maggots in Ymir's flesh.
Note: Svartalfheim = Svartalfarheimr
I was thinking more of the dwarves that crafted Sif's hair and a myriad of other stuff worn/used by the Norse gods in their mythology.
The creation myth about the Dwarves as maggots in Ymir's flesh, that are given consciousness by the AEsir, is from the Poetic Edda, Codex Regius and Hauksboek (Haukr Erlendsson's) which are beside the Prosa Edda the main sources for Norse mythology. To be even more precise: it is from the Voluspa poem which details the creation myth and Ragnarok.
If you look at the things that the dwarves created for the AEsir then there are mainly two groups: The Sons of Ivaldi (Alvaldi means all-mighty/powerful) and the brothers Brokkr and Eitri. And this confuses even more because one of the youngest of the older children of Alvaldi is Idunn, which is identified as Alfar (elf). Now that does not mean that the Sons of Ivaldi are from the same mother or that they are even related, since Alvaldi (Ölvaldi) is a giant himself ( a jötunn).

Edit: Naturally there could be misassociation of Ivaldi with Alvaldi and this are two distinct entities: one is dwarf and the other a jötunn.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I tried to watch the first few episodes of the original series, but found it was a bit too slow paced to get into, I might give it another go at some point.

Did everyone see the trailer for Isaac Asimov's Foundation?

The Dune one should be this month too.

Hears of trailer - super excited

Sees Apple Original - less excited

Sees Jared Harris - super excited again

Sees rest of trailer - eh.... cautiously optimistic.

Ashigara

Educated
I'm not sure I care in this case as 1951 Foundation really was old and had characters that were mainly just there to help Asimov show some concept, little more than names....

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Anyone here watch Gundam? I wanted to give it a try because it has space habitats, O'Neill Cylinders, etc. But I'm not a huge fan of the giant robot genre, as humanoid robots just seem a little redundant. Is it worth a go? I know one of the main political events is that a miles-long O'Neill Cylinder colony gets used as an orbital kinetic weapon and dropped on Australia or something:

i52bioC.jpg

XOwTt3h.gif

Legend of Galactic Heroes is very decent 'big history' military space opera.
LoGH is basically Gundam for grown-ups, ie not actual science fiction but war drama set in space.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Yeah I'm cautiously optimistic for Foundation, the real question is will they do justice to the ideas? Limiting a Dark Age of scientific ignorance between civilizations is a conservative and academic concept. It could be butchered. But from watching one or two movies he wrote, David Goyer seems like someone who at least tends toward realistic hard science maybe. Like Man of Steel, was a harder take on Superman than usual, and showed quite a sober/restrained planet Krypton as a moribund society living in a genetic cul-de-sac. So all that stuff about the rise and fall of societies, how they become decadent, maybe he is a good fit? Who knows, I'm just speculating, and dunno how much of that was Zach Synder. I think Jonathan Nolan was gonna give it ago for HBO before David Goyer and Apple, which might have been interesting; I liked Westworld season one.

There was also this trailer for a new series on HBO:

An android vs. Ragnar Lothbrok in a post-apocalyptic Earth with spaceships.

I'll post the Dune one soon as it's out. Can't really believe we are getting Foundation and Dune, I hope it has the 'Star Wars effect' and kickstarts a bunch of interest in space opera.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
Dune trailer
Have watched it as it came out. What i like is the Shai-Hulud the the ships, but everything else quiet discouraging for me, like Paul or the Stillsuit. Simply said Lynches version is superior in the aspect of the optics.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think it's just because fantasy has wider appeal commercially. And I think that's because it's closer to what most people experience in their everyday lives, or at least on Earth.

I mean, cancelling out the magic and the high tech, the bucolic setting of most fantasy RPGs is more familiar to the average person than some completely new outer space scenario (e.g. the hub of a galactic empire) that's nothing like anything they've ever experienced. At least to start with, and most fantasy CRPGs start in that sort of setting.

Of course this is a generalization about relative weightings of potential audiences, and you can induce people into following an s-f scenario if you "start small" in a sense (maybe a familiar urban setting on an asteroid, or a farm on an alien planet, or something like that).

V_K

Arcane
Both McLachlan and Chalamet were 24-25 when they played Paul, so why does the former looks 10 years older than the latter? Damned twinks everywhere.
Daddy Atreides is hot though.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Both McLachlan and Chalamet were 24-25 when they played Paul, so why does the former looks 10 years older than the latter? Damned twinks everywhere.
Daddy Atreides is hot though.

Leto is contractually obligated to be good-looking. I find Oscar Isaac's acting to be hit or miss. We'll have to see.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think it's just because fantasy has wider appeal commercially. And I think that's because it's closer to what most people experience in their everyday lives, or at least on Earth.

But it's a game. It's a fantastic journy into places of imagination. Why would you want it to be anywhere close to what you experience in your everyday life?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

But it's a game. It's a fantastic journy into places of imagination. Why would you want it to be anywhere close to what you experience in your everyday life?

For the uber nerdy and s-f fans, like us, sure that's what we want, but I think for the more normal human being, they need a bridge to fantasy, and that's the semi-familiarity of the mediaeval setting.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I would have loved if they made a deep intricate Star Trek RPG back in the late 90s. What could have been...

The Star Trek IP hasn't really grown out of the 90s has it? Lackluster show after show, games that barely made a blip. It's a waste of an excellent setting.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I would have loved if they made a deep intricate Star Trek RPG back in the late 90s. What could have been...

The Star Trek IP hasn't really grown out of the 90s has it? Lackluster show after show, games that barely made a blip. It's a waste of an excellent setting.

I don't think it's just the setting, but also because Star Trek was a beacon for Secular Humanism. It's a show that made you think.
Meanwhile, modern trek is just using Star Trek as a theme but forgetting Gene Roddenberry's vision.

The JJ Abrams Star Trek trilogy = Star Trek themed Action film. Terrible despite all the special effects.
Star Trek Lower Decks = Star Trek themed Rick and Morty. Insulting.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I don't think it's just the setting, but also because Star Trek was a beacon for Secular Humanism. It's a show that made you think.
Meanwhile, modern trek is just using Star Trek as a theme but forgetting Gene Roddenberry's vision.

The JJ Abrams Star Trek trilogy = Star Trek themed Action film. Terrible despite all the special effects.
Star Trek Lower Decks = Star Trek themed Rick and Morty. Insulting.

And the ideals of secular humanism have been co-opted by corporate and political interests. Kind of makes sense why Star Trek went to shit, actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom