Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Wiping all out.

Who's hotter?

• Junpei Iori.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Akihiko Sanada.

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Ken Amada.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Shinjiro Aragaki.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Theodore.

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Koromaru.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
:decline: Didn't you said something about Megaten games not requiring grinding??

There's quite a difference between the game requiring grinding and me enjoying raising my Pokemons.

Not to mention my savegame is frozen about two months after the date in which we are now, and that's with the grinding. :P

Fixed, Derpsona's tone is too grim for the Dreaming.

The Dreaming is actually quite a dark game. Without going too deep into the lore The Dreaming itself is a realm in which everything humans have imagined, dreamed, written, desired, felt, daydreamed, ambitioned, believed, etc, is real, immortal, and has a will of its own.

Most GMs making nothing but lighthearted romps back to childhood do not really understand the setting, nor the stories the setting is based upon, nor remember what childhood was like, nor have an understanding of mental disorders nor the depths of brutality, depravity, and madness even healthy minds can go in their fantasies and nightmares.

The Lost doesn't really understands fairy lore, so I'm not going there.

Right up to this point I was like "Vanessa's ranting about the RPG Codex..."

I had not noticed how much part of it fits The Codex until you mentioned it. :eek:

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
Wait, how did you get that catgirl-card? I thought you fused the pixie and the priestess but you still have those two as well. Or did I get something wrong?

First they went and trained both Pixie and Apsaras, the former to level 4 and the later to level 5. Those two were fused into Nekomata.

Then they went and trained Orpheus up to level 6, and along the way got a new Pixie, a new Apsaras, and an Angel.

They were going to train both the Pixie and the Apsaras back to level 4 and level 5 but got bored.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Great LP.
2506134213_5b84388d61_z.jpg
kitty_cat_by_dangerousladies-d301h8h.jpg

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
Chapter the tenth:
Birds are from Venus.

P3P%20008677.jpg

P3P%20008682.jpg

vanessa.jpg
By all screeching banshees, what is that noise?

nekomata.jpg
Nyoise, nyah?

vanessa.jpg
Do you not perceive it? A truly abhorrent cacophony.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
The boss battle BGM, you mean?

vanessa.jpg
Is that what it is? I suspected a weapon of some kind.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
They must have spent all their budget on Wiping all out.

vanessa.jpg
I can not concentrate like this. How are those shadows called?

renegade_vanessa.jpg
They are known as Venus Eagles.

vanessa.jpg
I see. This is an easy one to fix.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
I'm sorry?

vanessa.jpg
*ahem* La la la, your dazzling image makes me stop in place.

flying_nanako_chan.jpg
*poof* From your head to your toes, everything is perfect!

renegade_vanessa.jpg
*raises an eyebrow*

vanessa.jpg
The moment I saw you passing by wordlessly.

flying_nanako_chan.jpg
You light up, light up, light up, light up!

orpheus.jpg
Shinhwa as battle music. Mad, the world has gone.

vanessa.jpg
This is the kind of music which inspires a girl to victory and greatness, mister.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Not to mention several other things.

vanessa.jpg
I... I know not what you mean.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Of course you don't.

vanessa.jpg
*ahem* You were telling me about those shadows.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Alright. They are a normal sight in higher levels, yet those are different from the ones before us.

vanessa.jpg
I understand. Can you tell me anything about their weaknesses and strenghts?

renegade_vanessa.jpg
They are weak against Yukari.

orpheus.jpg
Woe, a kindred soul to slay!

vanessa.jpg
*sigh*

renegade_vanessa.jpg
That's all I'm getting. *shrug*

vanessa.jpg
It is more than enough. We will focus on lowering their defenses and keeping everyone alive while Yukari attacks.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Just focus on a single one at a time.

vanessa.jpg
Should we not try to set up an all out attack?

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Rarely against stronger enemies. If you exploit the weakness of an already downed shadow you will make it dizzy, and it will remain defenseless and confused for an entire turn.

vanessa.jpg
I understand. Then we will make Junpei raise our defenses when there is no dizzy shadow available, and make him attack when there is.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Sounds good.

vanessa.jpg
Nekomata!

nekomata.jpg
*tilts head* Nyah?

renegade_vanessa.jpg
She's actually summoning you.

nekomata.jpg
OoOoOh, right nyow!

P3P%20008692.jpg

providence.jpg
Defense down!

P3P%20008698.jpg

P3P%20008702.jpg

vanessa.jpg
Thus their weakness must be piercing damage.

P3P%20008707.jpg

P3P%20008709.jpg

P3P%20008711.jpg

vanessa.jpg
Nekomata, heal Yukari.

nekomata.jpg
Right nyow!

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Sooo unexpected.

vanessa.jpg
*sigh*

P3P%20008714.jpg

P3P%20008718.jpg

P3P%20008721.jpg

P3P%20008723.jpg

renegade_vanessa.jpg
You are all pathetic.

P3P%20008725.jpg

P3P%20008727.jpg

renegade_vanessa.jpg
This is pissing me off. NEKOMATA! Burn down that bird.

nekomata.jpg
Roasted birdie coming up, nyah!

P3P%20008733.jpg

nekomata.jpg
Or nyot...

vanessa.jpg
Worry not about it.

P3P%20008737.jpg

P3P%20008739.jpg

P3P%20008740.jpg

vanessa.jpg
This is it.

P3P%20008742.jpg

P3P%20008744.jpg

nekomata.jpg
Birdie's ours, nyah!

P3P%20008748.jpg

P3P%20008752.jpg

P3P%20008753.jpg

P3P%20008756.jpg

P3P%20008759.jpg

P3P%20008761.jpg

P3P%20008762.jpg

P3P%20008763.jpg

vanessa.jpg
This battle is pretty much over.

Two repetitions of the same pattern later...

P3P%20008830.jpg

P3P%20008831.jpg

nekomata.jpg
Om Nyom Nyom Nyom. ^__^

vanessa.jpg
Oh, my. I want to forget I ever saw that.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Nekos gonna neko. *shrug*

vanessa.jpg
In any case, what are those?

cigarimp.jpg
Those be Empress' Masks, girl. Those bird things ya just killed were wearin' dem. Useless, tho' ya can sell them fo' some joogold.

vanessa.jpg
Why the name?

renegade_vanessa.jpg
It comes from the third among the great arcana, The Empress. Each and every shadow is linked to an arcanum, represented in the mask their wear. Keep that in mind when we begin to establish social links and learn about the cards.

vanessa.jpg
I will do as you say.

Not much later...

P3P%20008838.jpg

...they ascend to the sixth floor by means of the staircase they have cleared access to.

And the mail...

Great LP.

Thank you very much. :hug:

And I want the second one's eyes. :oops:

Kz3r0's MC would be much more classy in her/his delussions. :hug:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
In order not to spoil you too much I am not going to say those were some awesome updates (although they were) ;)

:decline: Didn't you said something about Megaten games not requiring grinding??

There's quite a difference between the game requiring grinding and me enjoying raising my Pokemons.

Not to mention my savegame is frozen about two months after the date in which we are now, and that's with the grinding. :P

:(

Grind is something I've been allergic to ever since I finished my D3 review and realized how liberating is not having to pop moles for arbitrary reasons (exp and gear). As much as I enjoy seeing my characters/pokemons grow in power I'd rather they become more powerful as a result of real achievements.

Fixed, Derpsona's tone is too grim for the Dreaming.

The Dreaming is actually quite a dark game. Without going too deep into the lore The Dreaming itself is a realm in which everything humans have imagined, dreamed, written, desired, felt, daydreamed, ambitioned, believed, etc, is real, immortal, and has a will of its own.

Most GMs making nothing but lighthearted romps back to childhood do not really understand the setting, nor the stories the setting is based upon, nor remember what childhood was like, nor have an understanding of mental disorders nor the depths of brutality, depravity, and madness even healthy minds can go in their fantasies and nightmares.

The Lost doesn't really understands fairy lore, so I'm not going there.

There's actually a pretty good, acclaimed movie illustrating the grimdarkness of fairy lore. If you haven't, watch it lightbane:

Pan's Labyrinth
Mrowak said: ↑
I am getting strong Hellsing vibes from this pic.​

Would you laugh at me if I told you I never actually saw that show?

Nah, I wouldn't. Hellsing is a peculiar one - the sort of anime Tarantino gets his inspirations from. It's pulpy as last hell but it ain't ashamed of it. Actually Hellsing is the first manga I've ever bought. Back in the day shit seemed original and I still love it for that feel.

lightbane

Arcane

Yes, I watched it. What's more, years ago I had the privilege of meeting Sergi Lopez in the flesh (the guy starring as the main antagonist), he's a nice felllow :incline:

The Lost doesn't really understands fairy lore, so I'm not going there

Unfortunately, the Dreaming simply put doesn't have good mechanics while the Lost does, the Banality system is a killer, especially when literally EVERYTHING is harmful against your fairy character (even bloody mages that fully believe in the power of dreams, hopes, etc, which is retarded IMO). You should probably try Little Fears, it's a pnp rpg that has pretty much everything you mentioned (however, it is an absolutely GRIM and bleak game).

Going back to Derpsona, you sure like milking Tartarus. Although sooner or later the game will force you to GTFO and go back to the plot school.

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
The catspeak puns! They make me nyaseus! :?

Nekomata is too cute and girly to talk like a lolcat, so Nya-ing and Purr-ing puns it is. :P

Going back to Derpsona, you sure like milking Tartarus. Although sooner or later the game will force you to GTFO and go back to the plot school.

I rarely, if ever, grind in games with no Pokemons to train, yet I always do so in games where I have pets that gain XP and new skills of their own. I guess I just like Pokemon training a lot.

But the life sim part is actually my favorite Persona 3 element, and by far. :oops:

Most of you souless cynics will make fun of me but I actually get emotionally engaged by several of the characters.

Unfortunately, the Dreaming simply put doesn't have good mechanics while the Lost does, the Banality system is a killer, especially when literally EVERYTHING is harmful against your fairy character (even bloody mages that fully believe in the power of dreams, hopes, etc, which is retarded IMO). You should probably try Little Fears, it's a pnp rpg that has pretty much everything you mentioned (however, it is an absolutely GRIM and bleak game).

The Dreaming is a mess, I never said otherwise. The concept of the game is one of the best concepts ever, but the mechanics do indeed suck, though mostly because it was stupid to even try to mechanize many of the elements of the setting, and White Wolf writers had neither the skill nor the balls to do anything with the setting's most interesting elements.

The most basic example,

Those are fairies. Half of them feed by turning the life of random fellows into living emotional hell. Even the nicest of them is just one court switch away of becoming a heartless sociopath. In their world emotions, passions, fear, despair, madness, desires, obsessions, nightmares, etc, become real entities and real places. Their final objective is to bring the world of man back to the wild and chaotic state of The Dreaming itself, which involves turning most people into either an idealist dreamer or a tortured madman.

Let's use them to tell naive stories of experiencing child-like wonder and never growing up.

... o_O

It should have been a mixture of The silver key meets In the mouth of madness meets fairy lore. It was... A mess.

But it still is one of the most awesome concepts ever. :P

I do like many things from The Lost. To begin with, the art is beautiful. I bought several of the books just because they are so stupidly pretty. I like the hedge, I like the goblin markets, I like the idea the fairies are alien and there are no "races" (which was stupid to begin with), etc.

But the game has nothing to do with any of that. It tries so hard to have a message that in the end it is not a story with one or more messages but a story -about- those messages, and none of those messages have anything to do with fairy lore to begin with. @_@

That aside, the comparison with The Dreaming was mostly because Persona 3 and Persona 4 are basically identical to what The Dreaming would be if you were to remove both World of Darkness and the stupid ideas (the extreme banality, etc) from it. You could easily make the entirety of Persona 3 and 4 a campaign with minimal edition, other than because they would all become undone by Banality come exam week and there's no way to make The Fool in that system.

Anyway, I'll check Little Fears. I actually have it, but I never got to read it yet. And have you seen Dark Ages Fae?

Grind is something I've been allergic to ever since I finished my D3 review and realized how liberating is not having to pop moles for arbitrary reasons (exp and gear). As much as I enjoy seeing my characters/pokemons grow in power I'd rather they become more powerful as a result of real achievements.

But I enjoy my Pokemons growing in and out of itself. Not grinding means their growth is limited by the actual content of the game, while I am raising them just because I like the feeling of raising Pokemons and seeing their characters sheets full of custom skills. :oops:

As I just told Lightbane I rarely grind in games where you aren't a summoner. I just love to watch the little cuties growing into machines of conquest and slaughter, which is also why, for example, my Nocturne character build was full support. My pets did the slaughter, I just healed them and buffed them and hugged them and told them how awesome they were. :hug:

spekkio

Arcane
First LP of PSP game in the Playground?

Bonus points for this LP being JAVA-powered...

:smug:

Mrowak

Arcane

But I enjoy my Pokemons growing in and out of itself. Not grinding means their growth is limited by the actual content of the game, while I am raising them just because I like the feeling of raising Pokemons and seeing their characters sheets full of custom skills. :oops:

As I just told Lightbane I rarely grind in games where you aren't a summoner. I just love to watch the little cuties growing into machines of conquest and slaughter, which is also why, for example, my Nocturne character build was full support. My pets did the slaughter, I just healed them and buffed them and hugged them and told them how awesome they were. :hug:

Fair enough. :salute: I can understand the satisfaction from seeing your pets/characters become more powerful over time and easily approach otherwise unsurmountable challenges. Heck, I personally ground my way through a number of such games. In the end, however, while I like the goal of the journey, the journey itself (grinding) has lost its luster to me. I mean there must be a better way of raising your pokemons than doing the same stuff over and over. Learning is creative process so it makes no sense that repeating the same pattern till kingdom come should give you any xp. The question is, how to do it without breaking the game into segments, all the while facilitating training. But that's something for another thread.

:thumbsup:

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
Italian folklore has its own Nekomata, Italian only:

That's actually quite interesting, thank you for bringing it to my attention. :hug:

It is kind of impressive how many demon cats and fairy cats are there all around the world, compared to other animals.

First LP of PSP game in the Playground?

Bonus points for this LP being JAVA-powered...

:smug:

Kuroneko, blazing trails into :incline: since whenever it was I first joined.

Fair enough. :salute: I can understand the satisfaction from seeing your pets/characters become more powerful over time and easily approach otherwise unsurmountable challenges. Heck, I personally ground my way through a number of such games. In the end, however, while I like the goal of the journey, the journey itself (grinding) has lost its luster to me. I mean there must be a better way of raising your pokemons than doing the same stuff over and over. Learning is creative process so it makes no sense that repeating the same pattern till kingdom come should give you any xp. The question is, how to do it without breaking the game into segments, all the while facilitating training. But that's something for another thread.

The problem is that any method which encourages the progression of the summoner and her cutie pets through content instead of grinding is actually limiting how much they can grow as there's going to be only so much content and the XP is thus going to be a finite amount. This may be fine with those who want choices and shit (do I train this pokemon or that pokemon?) but that is not the main target of the Mon genre.

Any game in the Mon genre has to give you random encounters, randomly generated dungeons, randomly generated quests, or something along those lines. It has nothing to do with being believable, logical, or fun, people simply is not going to like your Mon game if they can't kill the same enemies over and over again until Pixie has dethroned YHVH in an epic duel that fills you with motherly pride.

Anyway, since we are talking about Mon games...

:troll:

lightbane

Arcane
^That reminds me that yesterday the game was out in Amerikwa, I'll have to give it a look, perhaps it's even good...
Now, what about a Digimon and survival horror/Ghost in the Shell/random cyberpunk setting crossover for maximum insanity :M ?

Mrowak

Arcane
Italian folklore has its own Nekomata, Italian only:

The problem is that any method which encourages the progression of the summoner and her cutie pets through content instead of grinding is actually limiting how much they can grow as there's going to be only so much content and the XP is thus going to be a finite amount. This may be fine with those who want choices and shit (do I train this pokemon or that pokemon?) but that is not the main target of the Mon genre.

Yes, I realise that finite number of chalenges in a "mon" game or in any RPG for that matter. However, even if something is randomised, it doesn't mean it cannot be fun. For instance in stupid Diablo 3 I loved fighting randomized elites and champions, who posessed a variety of abilities and used them to their full strength creating some lethal combinations. Even though the pool of extra skills is limited, if you met elites and champions of three different monster types at once you were in for some serious fun. The issue of repetition was in this case almost non-existent due to the sheer number of combos (monster_type x skill_set). In fact those battles were much better than fighting hand-crafted Act bosses who were pretty much pathetic (in single-player). Why can't we have more of real challenge instead of constant repetition?

Any game in the Mon genre has to give you random encounters, randomly generated dungeons, randomly generated quests, or something along those lines. It has nothing to do with being believable, logical, or fun, people simply is not going to like your Mon game if they can't kill the same enemies over and over again until Pixie has dethroned YHVH in an epic duel that fills you with motherly pride.

Not being logical, and believeable - one can accept that. Not being fun - well, that's a serious problem on an entertainment platform. I know there is something compulsive in us all, that would do the same thing over and over again, just for this short jolt of satisfaction. But in retrospect, well, isn't it a bit shallow? I don't mean that games are suddenly :monocle: entertainment and all, but when the game ceases to be a challenge at any level or a venue for social networking (MMOs) and becomes all about getting virtual xp and items with no tangible purpose beyond that, there's something inherently wrong in it, IMO. I wish game devs would finally start to address that glaring problem.

But considering my track record, I am a filthy hypocrite here. :oops:

Anyway, since we are talking about Mon games...

Somehow that doesn't surprise me at all. :roll:

While we are on it, any good little-less grindy jRPGs on the system (yes I am ignorant, but you can't know everything... yet)? The more gimmicky (but fun) the better. :M

lightbane

Arcane
You mean, on the DS? Sure:
Radiant Historia, Dragon Quest V, Infinite Space, Contact, Etrian Oddyssey 3, Devil Survivor 1 and 2, Strange Journey, Saga 2...

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
Yes, I realise that finite number of chalenges in a "mon" game or in any RPG for that matter. However, even if something is randomised, it doesn't mean it cannot be fun. For instance in stupid Diablo 3 I loved fighting randomized elites and champions, who posessed a variety of abilities and used them to their full strength creating some lethal combinations. Even though the pool of extra skills is limited, if you met elites and champions of three different monster types at once you were in for some serious fun. The issue of repetition was in this case almost non-existent due to the sheer number of combos (monster_type x skill_set). In fact those battles were much better than fighting hand-crafted Act bosses who were pretty much pathetic (in single-player). Why can't we have more of real challenge instead of constant repetition?

Any of those enemies we have been fighting can ruin our day if we don't get a free round at the start, and once we get to the second block we can lose most of our party before we get a round if they get the jump on us. My entire grinding strategy is on always getting the first round (that's why I run away at first) and then wiping the entire party in the most efficient but boring way so they never get a round of their own. Once enemies I can't defeat in a single round start appearing I just get a pixie with Trafuri and run away instead of fighting, when grinding.

Because I'm GRINDING. I have to be efficient and fast, not time consuming and fun.

Also, if grinding required concentration I would neither grind nor play the game. Do you really believe I am sitting here and focusing on my gaming when grinding my demons? No, I am not. I am watching TV Shows on my notebook and talking to my friends over skype. If you made the game so that to level up my pokemon instead of fighting five hundred shit monsters for three hours I would have to fight five hardcore monsters for three hours I wouldn't train my demons, because who the fuck wants to waste five hours killing monsters just to see a number go up?

I even ignore most of the unique levels that require concentration while grinding, because my objective is to get as much XP as I can in as little time as I can with almost no attention paid to the game beyond muscle memory and navigating the maze by means of peripherical vision alone.

Not being logical, and believeable - one can accept that. Not being fun - well, that's a serious problem on an entertainment platform.

No one is forcing you to grind if you find it boring. You can pretty much fuse yourself a demon you like and then use her the entire game while leveling her up, and go about adding new skills to her and raising to her stats by means of cards, and if then you get bored of her looking always the same you can fuse her into something else around her own level while keeping both the skills and the stats from cards.

Which is what I will probably do when I get Leannan Sith, since we are at it.

The game can be won without grinding if you are so inclined, as the more demons you train and fuse the more you need to grind to keep those demons on a level competitive with the game (as only the demon you have selected at the end of the battle receives XP). Basically, if you want to grind you NEED to grind. If you don't want to grind, you don't need to.

So why don't you let me play the game as I like and you play it as you like? :P

While we are on it, any good little-less grindy jRPGs on the system (yes I am ignorant, but you can't know everything... yet)? The more gimmicky (but fun) the better. :M

Persona 1.

To be honest I mostly play romance visual novels for girls on the PSP, and the same do those of my friends that have an actual PSP, so I can't really help you. Well, that and Patapon. And the Prinny games.

If you are talking about the DS instead, get yourself The World Ends With You, Rhapsody, both devil survivor games, avalon code, and the DS atelier game. :hug:

Sukeban Cho

Erudite
Chapter the eleventh:
Three obviously male hands.

P3P%20008840.jpg

mitsucomm_thebel.jpg
The Shadows on this floor are a bit different than the ones you've faced thus far. Proceed with caution.

Our heroine asks Yukari to heal all of their wounds before proceeding any further, and soon afterwards...

P3P%20008848.jpg

vanessa.jpg
Those shadows do not look that good. Do you know what is it that afflicts them?

renegade_vanessa.jpg
That one's pretty easy, they are scared shitless of us.

vanessa.jpg
I beg your pardon?

renegade_vanessa.jpg
We have grown too strong for them to feel they have a chance against us, yet they know we are in this level. Once they see us they'll start running around while squealing like the little bitches they are.

vanessa.jpg
I understand. Thank you very much.

P3P%20008849.jpg

vanessa.jpg
This will make our training much faster.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
*sigh* Keep up the good work.

Our heroine and her friends return to the entrance to recover and save, and then they move back into the dungeon to continue exploring the floors they just opened. As soon as they arrive back to the level they just left...

P3P%20008872.jpg

providence.jpg
It seems you'll be able to gain more EXP on this floor!

vanessa.jpg
I could really grow to like this place.

The enemies on those new levels are for the most part the same shadows they have faced before, and our heroine makes sure of sweeping clean every corner of every level before ascending to the next. Later they start coming across new shadows, the first of which are...

P3P%20008914.jpg

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Those are called Obsessed Cupids.

vanessa.jpg
They are new, yet scared of us all the same.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Well, it wasn't MY idea to outlevel everything in Thebel far before reaching even the halfway point through it.

vanessa.jpg
Mere details. Do you know where Iori-San is, though?

renegade_vanessa.jpg
He must have gotten stuck in the scenery. If one of your friends is too far away from you when a battle starts you'll have to fight without him.

vanessa.jpg
Should you not tell me such things before they happen?

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Mere details.

But those new shadows they can slaughter without the least interest, and then move on with a shrug. Shortly afterwards they continue ascending, and upon arriving on the next level Mitsuru decides to drop by and offer more intelligence on what are they facing on Thebel.

P3P%20008899.jpg

vanessa.jpg
What is it that worries you, Kirijo-San?

mitsucomm_thebel.jpg
...There it is again! I detect a powerful foe above you. It's still relatively far away, but be careful as you work your way upward.

vanessa.jpg
I understand. Thank you for telling us.

It is later during her stay in this floor where our heroine meets the remaining newcomers, who at least deserve a bit of respect for trying very hard. It is a very small bit of it, though.

P3P%20008963.jpg

vanessa.jpg
It had to be a bug, had it not?

renegade_vanessa.jpg
That's a Grave Beetle.

vanessa.jpg
He did not run from us.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
They are strong and tough compared to the other shadows who inhabit Thebel, yet they are weak against wind.

nekomata.jpg
Which in turn makes them crawling XP pinyatas, nyah.

pixie.jpg
Badum tish!

P3P%20008969.jpg

P3P%20008971.jpg

P3P%20008984.jpg

P3P%20008985.jpg

P3P%20008989.jpg

P3P%20008990.jpg

vanessa.jpg
I am so disappointed.

By the time they are almost ready to move on to the eighth floor Vanessa reaches her tenth level. This is a pretty important moment in her life as a summoner of demons and fairies.

P3P%20009004.jpg

vanessa.jpg
This is just too slow.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
The XP shadows give us is reduced the more we fight them, or maybe the more powerful, comparatively, we are.

vanessa.jpg
I am never going to finish training my current personae for fusion like this.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Just go ahead and fuse them.

vanessa.jpg
But the less trained they are the less skills the new persona will inherit.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
So they will inherit two skills instead of three, big deal.

vanessa.jpg
There will also be a smaller pool of skills for those to be picked from.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Most of which you never use, nor remember you have.

vanessa.jpg
Plus, it would be wrong in and out of itself to do so otherwise.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Alright, alright. *sigh*

vanessa.jpg
One moment... Do all members of the party get a set amount of experience upon defeating the enemy, or is the amount divided between all party members?

renegade_vanessa.jpg
I believe it is divided, why?

P3P%20009031.jpg

P3P%20009032.jpg

renegade_vanessa.jpg
... Oh.

vanessa.jpg
He was useless, anyway.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
And your good girl image just went down the drain.

And thus our heroine returned to the first terminal...

P3P%20009034.jpg

... and time passes without passing as Vanessa and Yukari kill shadow after shadow, after shadow, after shadow. Hours become days and days become weeks, which in turn become months. And through all of this a mixture of Eye of the Tiger and the panicked squealing of powerless shadows blares in the background.

P3P%20009049.jpg

Stories of true love and deep friendship are cut short by claw and naginata. Villages are burned down, the survivors pursued and slain by catgirl and bondage angel alike.

P3P%20009065.jpg

Ancient families are ruined, struck by one tragedy after another. Baby shadows are left to die, pinned to the wall by arrows.

P3P%20009081.jpg

Civilizations which had endured eons are brought down to ruin, their monuments turned ashes and their populations XP.

P3P%20009096.jpg

And even in the most far away corners of Thebel stories about a pair of schoolgirls who rode out of hell and led the barbarian hordes of incarnate nightmares in a orgy of brutality and pillage are whispered, and shadow mothers tell their unruly shadow children to eat all their hummies if they don't want "those two girls" to come for them.

P3P%20009165.jpg

And then, one day...

P3P%20009258.jpg

P3P%20009266.jpg

P3P%20009253.jpg

lilim.jpg
My, my. What do we have here?

vanessa.jpg
I am pleased to meet you, daughter of Lilith.

lilim.jpg
Alas, just pleased? I must be losing the touch.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Please, help me get one thing straight.

vanessa.jpg
What is it?

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Personae are a part of your soul, a shard of your true self, a manifestation of who you really are and what you truly desire... Right?

vanessa.jpg
I guess so.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Thus the message here is that you spent some quality time alone with Yukari and as a result awakened to your inner sexual predator demoness, am I right?

vanessa.jpg
I... I beg your pardon?

And thus our heroine did allow Junpei to rejoin the party and then lead the party back into the dungeon, and soon afterward they found themselves ascending up to the tenth floor of Tartarus for the first time.

P3P%20009298.jpg

mitsucomm_thebel.jpg
Once again, you'll be facing a new type of enemy, so stay alert.

vanessa.jpg
I will do as you say, Kirijo-San.

lilim.jpg
So very submisive.

Before long our heroine has located and activated the local terminal, and advances against the three powerful shadows who stand between them and the next staircase.

P3P%20009331.jpg

P3P%20009333.jpg

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Those are dancing hands, and they are indeed strong. They can use several types of elemental magic, too.

vanessa.jpg
And you do not remember their weakness, am I right?

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Aren't you the fast learner.

vanessa.jpg
Then there is not much we can do other than being very careful and keep focused on our defense while we either look for a weakness or slowly chip away at them.

lilim.jpg
You two are so simple minded.

vanessa.jpg
Please forgive me, but no other plan occurs to me.

lilim.jpg
Plans are for the weak and the infirm, and for the boring little bookworms no one cares about. We have something much more valuable than knowledge, honey.

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Enlighten us.

lilim.jpg
We have beauty, and charm.

P3P%20009344.jpg

P3P%20009345.jpg

P3P%20009351.jpg

P3P%20009356.jpg

P3P%20009358.jpg

P3P%20009359.jpg

P3P%20009360.jpg

P3P%20009362.jpg

P3P%20009363.jpg

lilim.jpg
So it is done. *giggle*

renegade_vanessa.jpg
Impressive.

vanessa.jpg
Indeed, it is so.

lilim.jpg
Let us end this now. The time of the lovely is far too precious to be spent on commoners and small fry.

vanessa.jpg
Then let us tell Yukari-Chan to focus on healing and Iori-San to focus on spamming cleave on whomever we cast Rakunda upon when not keeping them charmed and fighting each other.

lilim.jpg
Just hurry up. *shrug*

And thus the battle is won without any difficulty and the party proceeds into the eleventh floor of Tartarus.

Mrowak

Arcane
You mean, on the DS? Sure:
Radiant Historia, Dragon Quest V, Infinite Space, Contact, Etrian Oddyssey 3, Devil Survivor 1 and 2, Strange Journey, Saga 2...

Thanks! I've acquired DS just now and was looking for some games to burn time on. :salute:

Because I'm GRINDING. I have to be efficient and fast, not time consuming and fun.

I guess that's the point why most Codexers (including me) fail to see the appeal of grinding. It just doesn't compute, for some reason.

Also, if grinding required concentration I would neither grind nor play the game. Do you really believe I am sitting here and focusing on my gaming when grinding my demons? No, I am not. I am watching TV Shows on my notebook and talking to my friends over skype.

I guess everyone does something along those lines with this kind of gameplay.

If you made the game so that to level up my pokemon instead of fighting five hundred shit monsters for three hours I would have to fight five hardcore monsters for three hours I wouldn't train my demons, because who the fuck wants to waste five hours killing monsters just to see a number go up?

No one's saying lengthy boss battles are any good. In fact, I'd argue that a boss battle should take 10 mins tops with a variety of skills and abilities used on either side to spice things up, and with AI making intelligent, environment-based decisions. Watching bloated health-bar trickle down for half an hour is not very exciting.

Not being logical, and believeable - one can accept that. Not being fun - well, that's a serious problem on an entertainment platform.

No one is forcing you to grind if you find it boring. You can pretty much fuse yourself a demon you like and then use her the entire game while leveling her up, and go about adding new skills to her and raising to her stats by means of cards, and if then you get bored of her looking always the same you can fuse her into something else around her own level while keeping both the skills and the stats from cards.

That's good to know. I don't think that not grinding was possible in Persona 4 - there were circumstances which basically required you to have certain level (especially with followers being limited to one Persona and their linear skill progression).

The game can be won without grinding if you are so inclined, as the more demons you train and fuse the more you need to grind to keep those demons on a level competitive with the game (as only the demon you have selected at the end of the battle receives XP). Basically, if you want to grind you NEED to grind. If you don't want to grind, you don't need to.

So why don't you let me play the game as I like and you play it as you like? :P

Make no mistake - I am not criticizing you for liking this kind of gameplay. I merely commented why I and many others here do not see any kind of appeal in it, although there undeniably is one - as proved by many gamers, even on these boards. I approach the problem from more broad "technical" perspective and ask if there is a way to retain the "training" feel of "mon" games and all kinds of RPGs while axing the excessive grind. You seem to give a negative response to that. I don't really concede with your conclusion, but that's fine. Enjoy the game the way you want and please do carry on with this amazing LP. :salute:

Persona 1.

To be honest I mostly play romance visual novels for girls on the PSP, and the same do those of my friends that have an actual PSP, so I can't really help you. Well, that and Patapon. And the Prinny games.

If you are talking about the DS instead, get yourself The World Ends With You, Rhapsody, both devil survivor games, avalon code, and the DS atelier game. :hug:

I should have been clearer. I meant Nintendo DS. Thanks for your recommendations. :thumbsup:

Edit: Oh, there was an update...

And thus our heroine returned to the first terminal...

... and time passes without passing as Vanessa and Yukari kill shadow after shadow, after shadow, after shadow. Hours become days and days become weeks, which in turn become months. And through all of this a mixture of Eye of the Tiger and the panicked squealing of powerless shadows blares in the background.

Stories of true love and deep friendship are cut short by claw and naginata. Villages are burned down, the survivors pursued and slain by catgirl and bondage angel alike.

Ancient families are ruined, struck by one tragedy after another. Baby shadows are left to die, pinned to the wall by arrows.

Civilizations which had endured eons are brought down to ruin, their monuments turned ashes and their populations XP.

And even in the most far away corners of Thebel stories about a pair of schoolgirls who rode out of hell and led the barbarian hordes of incarnate nightmares in a orgy of brutality and pillage are whispered, and shadow mothers tell their unruly shadow children to eat all their hummies if they don't want "those two girls" to come for them.

Edit 2: :bravo:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom