Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry 8 - first time playing

Parabalus

Arcane
Most difficult start so far is the one i just tried, starting with a party of four, only one pure caster with a T'Rang exported party, you take a wrong turn and you're dead, your team starts at level 4/5 but gimped as most items don't cross over and you only get 20% of their skills.
The ranger didn't have any ammo, the bishop didn't have any spell but the ones he picked leveling up.

Ghosts from marten's bluff (with rebel spirit as casters = paralysis, fear, insanity, sleep) -> game over
2x dwellers outside of marten's bluff in a cave -> game over
Pack of vines in trynton (lot of fucking debuffs) -> game over
Hogart (i'm ashamed about this one) -> game over

I did kill the swalower though, snuck my way to Arnika and then it's business as usual.

I did a T'rang start today and I think it's the easiest by far, since you get immediate access to the teleporters.

You can grab the arm, explore the bluff+tunnels (the T'rang kill mobs)+visit Crock, port to T'rang house->Umpani and get like >70k XP+gadgets/instruments from their quests, before porting to Arnika road and continuing on as normal.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Where did you get the wires ?
I couldn't get past the ghosts to get to the teleporter, maybe my gimped party of four didn't help (the fairy ninja is mostly useless early on and the ranger was useless too with his elven bow and no arrows), it was basically the valkyrie against the world with the bishop as meager support.

And the T'Rang alchemist wasn't there yet so no shopping ...

Well, it's not like it matters now, i'm sure a well thought party of six holding the right exportable items would do way better, especially if you recruit Vi as well (which i didn't, i wanted to stick with four and no NPC)

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Where did you get the wires ?
I couldn't get past the ghosts to get to the teleporter, maybe my gimped party of four didn't help (the fairy ninja is mostly useless early on and the ranger was useless too with his elven bow and no arrows), it was basically the valkyrie against the world with the bishop as meager support.

And the T'Rang alchemist wasn't there yet so no shopping ...

Well, it's not like it matters now, i'm sure a well thought party of six holding the right exportable items would do way better, especially if you recruit Vi as well (which i didn't, i wanted to stick with four and no NPC)

The wires are next to the arm.

I didn't run into ghosts at all, a couple of ants next to the elevator, and a bunch of bugs in the corridors (which the trang killed for me).

You can run through the Trang guard in combat mode (and grab a sword and spellbook too), so from Zant you go left into their breeding chamber, then you're at the teleporter and can also loot the upper part of the bluff via the stairs.

Parabalus

Arcane
The wires are next to the arm.

Ah, i was sure it was supposed to be there and yet, it wasn't, oh well ...
As for the running in combat mode trick, i've read about it already but never did it.

Well, it clarifies things, you didn't fight the level 8 packs of ghosts, you little weasel. :P

The ghosts are behind the painting, no?

That's a dead end, even if you kill them you couldn't get to the teleporter.

Yeah, without running through that this import probably sucks really hard.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The ghosts are behind the painting, no?

That's a dead end, even if you kill them you couldn't get to the teleporter.

Yeah, without running through that this import probably sucks really hard.

Ah, you're right, you have to get there from the RFS side, let's just hope the wires will magically appear next time or that the teleporter will be fixed already, using it is a major QoL improvement, not sure i'll go very far if it doesn't work.

xuerebx

Erudite
Killed the motherfucking king crab without dying! :D

Just to clarify:
  • you can level up the more you use a skill (ala Elder Scrolls)? Didn't remember reading this in the manual
  • Melee and ranged attacks automatically target the nearest target right?
  • Can't understand what the numbers on top of an enemy indicate (not the HP): 1/0/1 etc
Thanks!

Piotrovitz

Savant
1. Yes
2. Yes, but you can change to any target that's in your weapons reach.
3. Don't remember, probably the number of mobs in each groups or sth like that.

xuerebx

Erudite
Thanks man. The numbers are also present if you're fighting one monster (like Gegor, that motherfucker! killed him but he killed my bard, good thing I found some resurrection powder).

When it comes to distributing attribute points on level up, given that I don't really know what the future character levels and spells hold (I know there's the full spell list in the manual, but that takes away from the excitement you get on level up), is it good practice to look at the skills on the second page on level up and see which attribute governs them?

My build is probably shit but hey it's working for now :lol:

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Easier to look at the expert skills and beeline to 100 for them, it overlaps with the skills mostly as well.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
When it comes to distributing attribute points on level up, given that I don't really know what the future character levels and spells hold (I know there's the full spell list in the manual, but that takes away from the excitement you get on level up), is it good practice to look at the skills on the second page on level up and see which attribute governs them?

You want power cast on your offensive casters (unlocked at 100 INT before equipment boost) and power strike on your melee fighters (unlocked at 100 STR) and the 100 Senses ones for the ranged fighters, everything else is a matter of taste but speed and dex increase the number of attacks during a turn and the number of swings for each attack (the skill level as well).

Then, it's a matter of taste and of course, depends on the skills you favor the most.

you can level up the more you use a skill (ala Elder Scrolls)? Didn't remember reading this in the manual

The Elder scroll franchise was launched in 1994 while the Wizardry one was created during the stone age so it's the other way around.

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Str: +dmg +melee AR +Stamina +Carry Weight, Expert Skill (skill lvl 100): Power Strike: +Penetrate (AR to beat body AC)
Dex: +AR +# of attacks, Expert Skill: Reflextion: +AC
Int: ? Expert Skill: Power Cast: increases effectiveness of spells and basically lowers enemy resistances
Pie: +SP +Stamina, Expert Skill: Iron Will: Increases Resistances
Spd: +Initiative +AC when >80 +# of attacks +# of swings per attack, Expert Skill: Snake Speed +Initiative
Vit: +HP +Stamina +Carry Weight, Expert Skill: Iron Skin: +phys dmg resistance
Senses: +AR +Initiative when >80, Expert Skill: Eagly Eyes: +ranged AR

This leads to the following implications in terms of importance: for melee Str-Dex-Spd-Senses-Vit, for ranged Dex-Senses-Str (if bows/xbows)-Spd, for casters Int-Spd-Pie-Senses (depending if you want to go first or have a larger SP pool)

Hybrid characters are less straightforward, depends on what their role is.

Wizardry uses a funny AC system. There are basically 2 AC values: general AC and body part AC. To hit a thing, general AC must be beaten, else it is a miss. To do dmg after a hit, body part AC must be beaten (penetrate roll). funnily General AC gets added to to body part AC from armor. This is why for example Rogues with Stealth, Cloaks, Rings, Reflextion and whatnot are almost impossible to damage.

Hope that helps to plan your characters out.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Game is awesome but too slow. And it becomes repetitive. Also the stats are different to D&D so it is worth researching them.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Just skimmed through the thread, so probably a lot of repetition, but whatever.

For first playthrough, I would recommend:

1. Fighter - yeah, the most boring class in the game, but hits like a truck, takes a lot of punishment, super easy to develop and unlocks ultimate skills the quickest
2. Rogue - absolute murderer in melee, difficult to kill because stealth, low xp reqs and quick ultimate skills, is pretty skill starved depending on how you want to build him, but will be an asset from level 1
3. Valkyrie - contrary to all other hybrids, she is ridiculously easy to develop, tanky, deals decent damage and gives access to the most important spell book in the game (which is also much easier to develop for her than for Lord)
4. Bard - ultimate support + easy to develop and can be made into a very respectable melee/ranged fighter, once you go bard it's very difficult to go back
5. Ranger - this is in fact one of the suckiest classes in the game, but scouting is actually super useful for the first playthrough (lots of consumables and ammo + some very nice items, like amulet of healing), he will also cover your alchemy - it's not really worth actively developing for a hybrid, but get it to mix small and medium healing pots (only 15 is needed afair)
6. Mage - if you want a pure caster for a first playthrough then take mage - very good, no nonsense specials and skill bonuses and mage spell book is the most balanced of them all (quick access to two super useful, unique buffs and the freezing spell is amazing early game), also gets power cast the quickest

Other classes I would consider, probably in place of ranger:

1. Monk - he is the best balance between crit focus and pure damage focus (especially if you don't go martial arts, but staves instead), would give access to psionics (which is pretty meh outside of haste that bard has, but still) and has stealth
2. Alchemist - if you want dmg magich then go alchemy, also great debuffs, but shitty buffs, quick access to all the crazy potion mixing, covers throwing and is not super-easy to kill
3. Priest - widely considered the worst class in the games, but there is a case for him in the context of first playthrough: quickest access to all the heals and vital buffs, also can be a decent frontliner

Classes that I would not recommend for begginers (and some of which often suggested):

1. Gadgeteer - hands down the suckiest of suck early game, not newb friendly at all, takes a lot of time to grow
2. Bishop - you'll hear people calling him the best class in the game, but bishop pretty much needs powergaming (esp. for skill training) and metaknowledge (esp. for spellbooks availability) to shine, otherwise you're just penalizing yourself with high exp reqs, also shitty specials
3. Lord - better offensively than Valkyrie, but much more difficult to properly build and develop
4. Psionic - will drop dead when somebody farts, psionics is the least useful spellbook, cannot wear or use shit
5. Samurai - to get the best equipment for him you need metaknowledge of where it is and then to savescum for it, average ac and hp + no stealth means he is the most vulnerable of all the dedicated frontliners
6. Ninja - ditto for equipment, severe lack of throwing weapons in the game, high xp reqs + extremely skill starved, relies on gimmicky, meta builds, the meme class of the game

DraQ

Arcane

For first playthrough, I would recommend:

5. Ranger - this is in fact one of the suckiest classes in the game, but scouting is actually super useful for the first playthrough (lots of consumables and ammo + some very nice items, like amulet of healing), he will also cover your alchemy - it's not really worth actively developing for a hybrid, but get it to mix small and medium healing pots (only 15 is needed afair)
Rangers have always seemed kind of meh to me. In any case they are not easy to use properly by a n00b as they prefer ranged combat when your typical party will most likely want to close in for melee.

Classes that I would not recommend for begginers (and some of which often suggested):

1. Gadgeteer - hands down the suckiest of suck early game, not newb friendly at all, takes a lot of time to grow
More newb friendly than Ranger and can fill in for Rogue when it comes to opening stuff. Slow-burner to be sure, but very satisfying in the end and very helpful from mid-game on, especially if you lack Psionic.

2. Bishop - you'll hear people calling him the best class in the game, but bishop pretty much needs powergaming (esp. for skill training) and metaknowledge (esp. for spellbooks availability) to shine, otherwise you're just penalizing yourself with high exp reqs, also shitty specials
No argument here - Bishop is effectively 2-4 casters crammed into single slot - with corresponding drop in effectiveness. Well developed Bishop is fearsome, but in early game they will spend most of the time miscasting spells and getting hit by stuff.
3. Lord - better offensively than Valkyrie, but much more difficult to properly build and develop
Eh, lord is only marginally harder to develop than Valk, the main problem is that they are pretty much unambiguously worse as well.
4. Psionic - will drop dead when somebody farts
Yeah, so? So will Mage.
psionics is the least useful spellbook
:abyssgazer:
The fuck are you on.
cannot wear or use shit
Same as mage.
5. Samurai - to get the best equipment for him you need metaknowledge of where it is and then to savescum for it, average ac and hp + no stealth means he is the most vulnerable of all the dedicated frontliners
Eh, Samurai is kind of fragile and spread out, but makes for solid, somewhat glass-cannony frontliner. You can make them Dracon to make them sturdier or Mook for the memesword.
6. Ninja - ditto for equipment, severe lack of throwing weapons in the game, high xp reqs + extremely skill starved, relies on gimmicky, meta builds, the meme class of the game
No argument here. Ninja is extreme buttmonkey entire early and mid-game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

The anti-ranger racism on display ITT is abhorrent and ignorant. It's a terrific class.

Meanwhile, in the background ...

*sound of arrows flying*

"Life is short and i just made it even shorter ..."

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You can right click on them and it'll give you the breakdown.

Interesting, never checked and never even thought about it, seems to me it's (for each monster pack)
number : in combat/ can be targeted/ in visual range. (now, i'll have to right click it)

Also, nothing beats having a blonde Valkyrie with the female chaotic 2 voice set.
(with a germanic accent) : There will be implements of destruction at my disposal, yah ?

jackofshadows

Magister
Okay, here's my class-tier list no one asked for:
(and it's pointless for this game anyway since it's not a fucking MMO, also seems too late for the OP)
A-tier:
- Bishop. The best caster. And I disagree that it's a bad choice for beginners. For RPGs beginners maybe, but what the fuck they're doing in Wiz8 anyway?

My first party was (full blind dive, except for the manual) Fighter, Ninja (relying on martial arts was a grave mistake and since I didn't develop alchemy for him he was basically useless most of the game, obviously), Psionic (squishy but I liked him a lot) and this preachy motherfucker. Considering magic skill system it's wiser indeed to put points directly into primary, four spellbook skills and raise secondary, "practical" magic ones via spamming or simply let them raise by themselves (endure some misfires along the way), but I didn't realize that at first and spent considerable amount of points on them anyway. But it was fine! Sure, I get higher spells a bit later but it was before end-game, also I realized that it's better to save spells via lvl-up for later around mid-game, so again, wasn't all that bad.

I don't have to stress how awesome Bishop is: beside his forte having all the fucking spells in the game his minor features like taking cursed items off in early game and even bonus to artefact skill are extremely useful. Bottom line - I was very happy that I took this guy for the first run.

- Gadgeteer. I agree that he's obviously the least noob-friendly class in the game. He's a complete vagon first not just a few but up to 10 at least levels and gadgets are require a lot of in-game knowledge. But if that's granted since mid-game (early game not hard at all anyway) he's getting only more and more power (unlike Bard) to ridiculous degree, while keeping the versatility.

- Valkyrie. Output damage is lacking but otherwise she's just too great all-around and capable of complementing almost any party.

C-tier:
- Ranger. Scouting is useless even for the newcomer (usually hidden stuff is not so hidden at all, you have to just cast a spell near boxes, shelves etc as the game shows at the very beginning). As damage dealer he is mediocre, alchemy book is mostly about AOE so it's better to have spells sooner rather than later, which is not the case for a hybrid class. For a ranged-oriented party is okay choice I guess.

- Priest. Literally the worst class from a min-max whore perspective. But! Extremely useful for the new players, especially if one goes w/o Valk in party. Also I took this guy for my ironman playthrough, zero regrets.

(B-tier every other class. Some advantages, some disadvandages)

xuerebx

Erudite
Easier to look at the expert skills and beeline to 100 for them, it overlaps with the skills mostly as well.
You want power cast on your offensive casters (unlocked at 100 INT before equipment boost) and power strike on your melee fighters (unlocked at 100 STR) and the 100 Senses ones for the ranged fighters, everything else is a matter of taste but speed and dex increase the number of attacks during a turn and the number of swings for each attack (the skill level as well).

Then, it's a matter of taste and of course, depends on the skills you favor the most.

The Elder scroll franchise was launched in 1994 while the Wizardry one was created during the stone age so it's the other way around.

Thanks - didn't know about the power cast/strike when you reach 100. I'm close to reaching 100 for some of my characters (I believe the average level of the party is 6-7 right now), just a few more levels.

Regarding the Elder Scrolls being inspired from Wizardry, and not the other way round, you're right of course. I mentioned it the way I did because I've played them the other way round.

Str: +dmg +melee AR +Stamina +Carry Weight, Expert Skill (skill lvl 100): Power Strike: +Penetrate (AR to beat body AC)
Dex: +AR +# of attacks, Expert Skill: Reflextion: +AC
Int: ? Expert Skill: Power Cast: increases effectiveness of spells and basically lowers enemy resistances
Pie: +SP +Stamina, Expert Skill: Iron Will: Increases Resistances
Spd: +Initiative +AC when >80 +# of attacks +# of swings per attack, Expert Skill: Snake Speed +Initiative
Vit: +HP +Stamina +Carry Weight, Expert Skill: Iron Skin: +phys dmg resistance
Senses: +AR +Initiative when >80, Expert Skill: Eagly Eyes: +ranged AR

This leads to the following implications in terms of importance: for melee Str-Dex-Spd-Senses-Vit, for ranged Dex-Senses-Str (if bows/xbows)-Spd, for casters Int-Spd-Pie-Senses (depending if you want to go first or have a larger SP pool)

Hybrid characters are less straightforward, depends on what their role is.

Wizardry uses a funny AC system. There are basically 2 AC values: general AC and body part AC. To hit a thing, general AC must be beaten, else it is a miss. To do dmg after a hit, body part AC must be beaten (penetrate roll). funnily General AC gets added to to body part AC from armor. This is why for example Rogues with Stealth, Cloaks, Rings, Reflextion and whatnot are almost impossible to damage.

Hope that helps to plan your characters out.

Definitely helps a ton! Yeah in the manual the AC average and bodypart was explained - funny system but it gets the job done I guess. And when you think about it does make sense.

Game is awesome but too slow. And it becomes repetitive. Also the stats are different to D&D so it is worth researching them.

When I read that higher AC is better I was relieved :D I hate the lower AC mechanic in one of the D&D versions. My only experience with D&D are cRPGs (never played PNP) and they all seem to have slightly different mechanics anyway (i.e. I have to acquaint myself with the system for each game I play).

[shortened]

Okay, here's my class-tier list no one asked for:
(and it's pointless for this game anyway since it's not a fucking MMO, also seems too late for the OP)
[shortened]

Thanks for the advices. Although I've already started playing it's still interesting to read different perspectives. Although many of you guys posting here seem to know much about the game, there are opposing views which I think means that the game is so versatile and allows differing approaches.

Anyway this thread will serve its purpose for beginner tips & tricks to anyone reading, and also to myself if I start a new party or if I beat the game and start over. So thanks :)

You can right click on them and it'll give you the breakdown.

Interesting, never checked and never even thought about it, seems to me it's (for each monster pack)
number : in combat/ can be targeted/ in visual range. (now, i'll have to right click it)

Awesome thanks, never thought to right click over there!

I can see why people don't like samouraï and rangers, they just have no idea how to build them.

:smug: Probably me. I'm focusing my warrior on physical skills rather than magic since I've got the mage and psionic for that.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
More on ranged. Something like a ranger with high ranged combat/eagle eye, triple x-bow and decent bolts is very ok (like most things in Wiz8 are) when out of context, but ranged combat is really meh compared to the sheer power and reliability of melee throughout the game. This is most evident in the early parts of the game of course, but I still remember that time I had mook ranger with your typical larpy ranged/eagle eye+best bow+best arrows setup. When I got the first copy of giant sword I decided to give it to him just to test for lulz and was really appalled how he instantly became more of a presence with literally zero points invested in cc and swords. Outside of some rare and niche scenarios (high dmg, low hp ranged mobs), ranged doesn't really give any extra edge in this game. Almost always you're better off with baiting with using/cancelling walk command to let enemy come to you or just rushing in. Finally, a very important point that makes me not want to bother with ranged much anymore and that can become a huge noob trap depending on how much you invest in it are the logistics problems it causes. Ammo weighs a lot and higher level chars burn through it real fast. Then there's throwing weapons and the tiny little detail that there's just not nearly enough of them (especially the better ones).

That said, I need to do a axe+shield frontline ranger for my next run. That's been sitting on my "extra shitty things I've never done" list for a long time.

More newb friendly than Ranger and can fill in for Rogue when it comes to opening stuff.
Not really and definitely not in the setup I gave. Scouting + potion mixing is a good utility that will help very early. What is the point at which gadgie starts contributing? Probably completing lava lamp at Trynton and the noxious fumes pot in Marten's Bluff. That's quite a long period of total suck even when taking an optimal route.
Eh, lord is only marginally harder to develop than Valk, the main problem is that they are pretty much unambiguously worse as well.
Nope. Every hybrid in the game has multiple skills to put points into and then there are more details to consider, dw is a bit of handicap early on, most common weapon category is a bit of a trap when going for dw etc. Valkyrie is unique here, because she only needs cc + polearms and then can happily pump divinity asap. For every other hybrid pumping magic means leaving something out.

And I wouldn't call lord unambiguously worse, because proper dw setup>polearms. He also has his little niche of being a go to class for draining cursed weapon builds, although that's obviously a very minor thing.
Yeah, so? So will Mage.
Same as mage.
Nope. Mage has a bit more hp, better resistances (getting 1-2 shot with aoe magic is the most common cause of death for casters provided you mind positioning and avoid getting buttraeped by melee) and can wear a number of useful items that psionic can't, for example fearie plate. Also much better initial skill contribution, but that doesn't have impact on sturdiness of course.
The fuck are you on.
Er, what. That's common consensus. Psionics have one "I really need this shit asap" spell, which is also available for bard. Mage has by far the best balance between buffs, debuffs and damage, starts with two very good, completely unique buffs and freezing spell (unlocked way earlier than the instrument) is probably the best early game spell that can completely turn the tables for noobs. If you have to drop one spell book, dropping psionics is a safe bet. You could make an argument for alchemy, but alchemy has kewl potion mixing.

Bishop. The best caster. And I disagree that it's a bad choice for beginners. For RPGs beginners maybe, but what the fuck they're doing in Wiz8 anyway?
I don't like bishop even now, because I hate abusing learn by using mechanics in crpgs. If you can stomach things like clicking on tumblers for two hours straight and have a good metaknowledge of what spell books there are how to get to them then sure, you can cram as many schools as you want into one guy, making bishop the best caster class in the game.
Gadgeteer. I agree that he's obviously the least noob-friendly class in the game. He's a complete vagon first not just a few but up to 10 at least levels and gadgets are require a lot of in-game knowledge. But if that's granted since mid-game (early game not hard at all anyway) he's getting only more and more power (unlike Bard)
Unlike? Bard is awesome from start to finish, gadgeteer needs time to get there. Both are ultimately great support classes with lots of utility, but something like (a)rousing drums alone makes bard more appealing for me, especially since so few parties will have a psionic able to cast haste on a high dice reliably.
Ranger. Scouting is useless even for the newcomer (usually hidden stuff is not so hidden at all, you have to just cast a spell near boxes, shelves etc as the game shows at the very beginning
If you know where things are then why why would you need a spell? Just use search, it will be enough pretty much always. There's just that small issue of knowing where hidden items are, which us, non-psychic normies, didn't know the first time.

Once you get a spiked spear / mystic spear, with her extended range, nothing beats her but a well built ranger or mooks (warrior/samourai).

I can see why people don't like samouraï and rangers, they just have no idea how to build them.
Lol, what are you even talking about. Berserking fighter and backstabbing rogue beat valk easily and that's the most basic stuff there is. Then you can move to a bit more niche stuff (but not super niche, like giant sword mook samurai or fearie staves ninja), like, for example, monk with (gettable early) sod that will have more attacks with high dmg, very high instakill chance and extremely high chance to deal multiple crippling status effects. Valk is a very good class that brings things other classes can't, but pure killing power is not her forte.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom