Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: The Five Ordeals Steam release

Ysaye

Arbiter
Well - I got my first major wipe today on encountering a 4 groups of enemies (including a couple of groups of mages) on floor 3 which (despite being on that floor for a while and even floor 4 at times) was completely out of the blue, I tried to run but failed and lost my Mages in that round. I thought I would try to run again and lost everyone. In despair I crt-alt-deleted but the damage was already done; looks like I will have to level up some new characters (I have a level seven mage in reserve but no anything else...).

Casual Hero

Augur
So is Abyss of the Ancient Relics worth playing through? I'm slightly more skeptical of the user-made modules.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They'll now push daily-ish updates to beta instead of the main branch. So that people can play more stable game and they can do more daring updates like engine version updates: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1308700/announcements/detail/4564966873065913941

Pre-announcement of future update

Thank you for your continued support of "Wizardry: The Five Ordeals".

As for future updates, starting with next week's update, frequent updates will be made via Steam's beta function.
The beta version will include updates to the Unity major version to ensure continued support in the future, so there is a possibility of completely unintended problems occurring. We will update you with more details about the beta version.

We are also preparing an English version as needed.

Tarrant

Educated
Dumb/slightly less than relevant question:

Anyone played any maps that go beyond the 19 x 19 grid maximum seen in other late-gen Wizardry titles? I know the editor isn't out yet, but trying to see whether non-standard dungeon sizes are a thing. Call me an autist, but knowing in advance how a given dungeon floor is bounded kills the exploration for me. Less of an issue if the max is something absurd like 100 x 100, but.. 19 x 19 is pretty bad. This all but destroyed LoLS for me.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some news on future updates and English translation: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1308700/announcements/detail/3194750393557012701

recent update schedule and some of the future plans.

Thank you for your continued support of Wizardry: The Five Ordeals.

This week's update none even if beta, but next week we will be doing a beta update with a major feature addition: Changing equipment during battle. Details of the feature will be announced at the time of the update.

In addition, although a specific date has not been determined, as part of our future plans:

- Changes to the location of saved data, portraits, and other temporary files generated by the game.
- Expansion of savedata with partial or complete removal of compatibility with previous versions.

and about the Official scenario English translations:

- Plans have already been decided and all that remains is to wait for time.

However, again, this is a translation of the "official scenario". It does not allow user scenarios to be played in English, nor does it involve significant UI English optimization.
On the other hand, some improvements are planned for English users playing Japanese user scenarios.

Thank you.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Bah! I have no idea if 20x20 is max size or not. No one says. Editor is supposedly coming out late dec 2022. Maybe the game will be fully translated by then. This is your basic wiz 1-3 & a little 5 infinite map maker and I read some company has purchased thd entire franchise.

Gematsu

So, whomever is playing now will have to go through every homebrew and the 5 scenarios and map them out. I'm guessing a HARD - YES that is maximum dimensions. Level depth? No clue. For old schoolers that isn't a big deal breaker.

When I read the old article from Kotaku, I get worried.

"Those Japanese games rarely get released in America. When they do, it’s typically on a console. (Labyrinth of Lost Souls has been available in the United States for PlayStation 3 since 2011.)"

And most of the times it is fans who translate and not the company. There are times I believe Japan purposely says FUCK OFF to non-jap for many franchises.

But that is an old article and 5 ordeals has a smattering of english atm.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A first look at English translation of scenario: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1308700/announcements/detail/3328735652611487369

Beta Update 2022/5/30
This is Beta version, we cannot guarantee compatibility of save data, etc.

before playing the beta version,
Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\59Studio\WizardryFoV2\savedata
You can back up your saved data from above location.

If you agree to the above, right click on "Wizardry: The Five Ordeals" in the Steam library, select properties, and enter the password "
IReadAnnounce
" in the beta tab. The "publicbeta" version can be selected. This will automatically update the system, and you can also return to the current normal version by selecting no beta from the Beta tab. However, we will not be able to provide support for data corruption caused by version inconsistencies due to the use of this switch.

Updates

- Added English names for default characters created when a scenario is first launched or data is initialized, so that the Japanese or English name is determined according to the Steam's UI language.

Fixes

- There was a possibility that game would stop if fighting under certain equipment conditions.
- In scenarios where the magic effect AUTO, ineffective spells were generated when both spell level settings were set to "None".
- In scenarios where the magic effect AUTO, special items were appearance even when the contents of the special item table were none (all junk).

We are already in the process of implementing the first official English-language scenario.

4ccbba0cb676cfb51f7897dd0ce9730c1df8a131.jpg

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Beta Update 2022/5/30

If you agree to the above, right click on "Wizardry: The Five Ordeals" in the Steam library, select properties, and enter the password "
IReadAnnounce
" in the beta tab. The "publicbeta" version can be selected. This will automatically update the system, and you can also return to the current normal version by selecting no beta from the Beta tab. However, we will not be able to provide support for data corruption caused by version inconsistencies due to the use of this switch.

Updates

- Added English names for default characters created when a scenario is first launched or data is initialized, so that the Japanese or English name is determined according to the Steam's UI language.

Fixes

- There was a possibility that game would stop if fighting under certain equipment conditions.
- In scenarios where the magic effect AUTO, ineffective spells were generated when both spell level settings were set to "None".
- In scenarios where the magic effect AUTO, special items were appearance even when the contents of the special item table were none (all junk).

We are already in the process of implementing the first official English-language scenario.

Could someone translate this in english?
It means the english translation isn't ready yet, right?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The game looks better. I need to see more screenies of town talk and dungeon messages along with combat.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1308700/announcements/detail/3354633888428082354

Finally! English Iteration 1 Beta Update 2022/6/24

14cb9dc27c4f2cbc50f908d4f9166614d8c5c169.jpg

e40a37e7b2bcc2c837ff542356d27d1b18921f65.jpg

b3c324af9da1b666304280f26c82215af040f51c.jpg

08fa3c50ce3a8108aef73b90c213a48ab74e9ac5.jpg

IReadAnnounce

New

- The first official English-language scenario, "Traveler's Property".
Scenarios are updated automatically. English can now be selected in the message.

Updates

- In the battle in the state of magic disablement (magic disablement zone) by the event, the message at the time of spell use has been renewed and differentiated from other spell failures.
- Initial behavior of auto-map recording for events "Flag Teleport" and "Item Teleport 2" has been changed to the same as the 2006 version.
- Changed the timing of the end-of-battle jingle / treasure chest BGM and the labyrinth music to switch after returning to the labyrinth. In addition, the treasure chest BGM is now played on the result screen even in battles where treasure chests do not appear.
- Changed the language setting of many parts of the site to "interface" setting, such as the description of magic effects of items.
It is no longer necessary to English the item name and see empty item name in order to see the item's magic effect description in English.

- The event "flag rope ladder" status is now reflected as show/hide of the icon on the automap.

Fixes

- One of the boon spell wishes, "health and revival", silence and confusion was not treated.

Please use the Steam forum for comments on english glitches and translations.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
You need to break in their office and get access to the debug mode build.

Biggus

Scholar
So is Abyss of the Ancient Relics worth playing through? I'm slightly more skeptical of the user-made modules.
totally worth playing and I'd say it is better than the first three of the official scenarios. I am on floor 7 of it now, and the level design is just fantastic. Itemisation is great, and the way they've worked ID, thief and ninja, you are kinda forced to make them all (one way or another). Fantastic scenario. Do not hesitate.

Rtrqopp.jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Unicorn elf furry is very horny.... she loses a lot of lovers because of that growth. She's very frustrated.

How deep can the dungeon be? Is there a limit to dungeon depth?

I need to look again but are there a lot of different dungeon walls, floors, crilings and other assets to choose from ehen designing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom