Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Would an Avellone-led FNV have turned out better than Sawyer's?

Title

• Total voters

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fairfax/Avellone also contradicting Sawyer there.

how far into the development process was Ulysses cut as a companion? He seemed like he would have been pretty cool, and I feel like there was a dearth of pro-Legion companions.
He was cut very late in the development cycle.

Puteo

Learned
Wouldn't have mattered because it was meant to be a low effort cash grab from the start.

The game is so damn empty and devoid of content that no man could have prevented it from being garbage.

Which gamebryo game are you describing, exactly?

Fairfax

Arcane
*writes Ulysses*
Didn't hurt the game, turned out just fine (or even better, according to MCA) in LR.

*writes Durance and Grieving Mother*
Fenstermaker's incompetence.

*writes a Wasteland 2 novella that balloons into 4 novellas and a novel*
Better for the backers, but Fargo is too cheap to pay for the covers.

*writes what's supposed to be a small Pathfinder adventure module that balloons into a 600+ page adventure path*
Sounds great, looking forward to it.

:mca:

Fairfax

Arcane
Fairfax/Avellone also contradicting Sawyer there.

how far into the development process was Ulysses cut as a companion? He seemed like he would have been pretty cool, and I feel like there was a dearth of pro-Legion companions.
He was cut very late in the development cycle.
MCA didn't say it was early in development. It was my own assumption, based on the fact he delivered the 12k word doc early in development, as J.R Vosovic shared in his amusing story about MCA and Fenstermaker:

Early on, I was sharing an office with Eric Fenstermaker. After a week or two of writing he checked in some dialogue and was super happy with it - and he had written several hundred lines. (At that point I had only written about a dozen placeholders).

A bit later he starts swearing and sort of fake-sad-crying-laughing and is looking pretty defeated. Being the glowing tower of empathy that I am, I told him to shut the f up. But also inquired why he was now a broken shell of a man.

He told me he checked in a couple hundred lines for a character, and then checked Chris Avellone's character for comparison.

... Over 10,000 lines. Legend status confirmed

So that experience really opened my eyes to the metrics required to reach exalted levels of awesome. Here I was with 10-20 lines. Fenster who was one of our best, with hundreds. Then Chris...amazing

It was long after that I read a great book called War of Art. Check it out. To summarize: work a 10-6 day every day and put in the work. It will come.

Bergman said they started to record some lines for Ulysses, but the character was still just concept art and none of the writing was implemented. It's possible the decision to cut Ulysses was late in development, but the point was that very few resources were wasted. Chris delivered the 12k words in the time it took Fenstermaker to deliver 200, and the character was later recycled anyway. Considering LR is the highest-rated DLC on Steam and Ulysses is a big part of it, it's clear it was a net positive. +M

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
My impression is that Josh is better (than MCA) at organising things, while MCA is much beter at creating things. In the short time enterprises being creative is more important than being able to organize things. In the long term enterprises it is vice-versa. Being the lead for a game as huge as F:NV is the long term enterprise. Ergo: you should have chosen Josh.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I mean seriously, riddle me this, has Josh to do anything with the faction design of FNV, the single saving grace of FNV??? Because no matter what else he did, it all sucks.
From what Avellone has been saying on twitter in his desperate attempts to distance himself from FNV, yes, Sawyer was responsible for literally every single creative design choice in the game.

2house2fly

Magister
Define "design". Sawyer did just about all the high-level stuff, Gonzalez wrote the main quest so he was probably responsible for details. Sawyer provided feedback on the main quest and made at least one demand which got followed(less use of the Platinum Chip in quests).

GrainWetski

Arcane
Chris-Avellone-metal.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

No Chris did that already in 2012 on a PAX East Panel.

Fucking Sawyer, lagging nearly 7 years behind.

:troll:

I rest my case. Sawyer is irrelevant.

The depth that codex guzzles avalon's cum is just fucking disgusting.

And to the actual topic, No.
I dont recall avallone being a direct lead for anything other than torment.

Quillon

Arcane
Can we have both?
Put Avellone on the writing and Sawyer on the mechanics.

Nope, they are no Cainarsky. Sawyer doesn't let writers fully control narrative. On NV and PoE they resolved conflicts with pulling/using rank rather than finding common ground and since Sawyer was director most of the time, he got his way most of the time which must be why MCA seems resentful now :P When MCA took control of NV DLCs, he sabotaged where Sawyer's vision taking Fallout to(post-post apocalypse) and then he refused to write the companions Sawyer outlined for him in PoE unlike base NV where he did what he's been told :D

When MCA took control of NV DLCs, he sabotaged where Sawyer's vision taking Fallout to(post-post apocalypse) and then he refused to write the companions Sawyer outlined for him in PoE unlike base NV where he did what he's been told :D

MCA's vision for Fallout's future is dumb as hell, tho

"Let's nuke everything back again and do Fallout 1 re-runs because things are becoming 'too civilized' "

No they are not. There is still plenty of Wasteland to explore. Personally I feel like Fallout works best in the border between civilization and savagery. Fallout 2 and FNV were perfect in that regard - there was plenty of chaos, banditry, savegery and primitiveness, but there is also actual new civilizations being built, places with order, science being done and things generally being slowly patched up again.

Then again, I think BIS did a mistake when they advanced the setting by 80 years in 2. There's some evidence that 2 originally happened in 2220s not the 2240s.

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
When MCA took control of NV DLCs, he sabotaged where Sawyer's vision taking Fallout to(post-post apocalypse) and then he refused to write the companions Sawyer outlined for him in PoE unlike base NV where he did what he's been told :D

MCA's vision for Fallout's future is dumb as hell, tho

"Let's nuke everything back again and do Fallout 1 re-runs because things are becoming 'too civilized' "

No they are not. There is still plenty of Wasteland to explore. Personally I feel like Fallout works best in the border between civilization and savagery. Fallout 2 and FNV were perfect in that regard - there was plenty of chaos, banditry, savegery and primitiveness, but there is also actual new civilizations being built, places with order, science being done and things generally being slowly patched up again.

Then again, I think BIS did a mistake when they advanced the setting by 80 years in 2. There's some evidence that 2 originally happened in 2220s not the 2240s.

F2 is a disgrace to the IP and the cRPG genre. FNV is the spiritual sequel to that aberration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom