Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News WTF - Pillars of Eternity II is apparently getting a turn-based mode

Dr Schultz

Augur
Why would console players want turn-based? Wouldn't they more likely be in the opposite camp? Is it just that it's impossible to manage RTwP using a console controller rather than a mouse?
Because DOS2 ?
I'd say because of a long and successful history of turn-based tactical jrpgs which nowdays are even copie-pasted by indie Pc developers (sometimes with very interesting results for a tactical games fag like myself)

Suicidal

Arcane
yeah i'm sure this will work out great

all games that have both real time and turn based modes always turn out great

Unless they don't do stupid shit like golems that can reach you anywhere on the map while walking at a turtle's pace it will be fine. I hope. I always thought Pillars would benefit a lot from being turn based because of how much micromanagement you are expected to do and how much random garbage is going on at the same time. If you have to pause the game every microsecond to see what the fuck is happening might as well have a turn based system even if it's tacked on.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
This exactly! Josh Sawyer is a turn based fag, and tried to apply turn based logic to a real time system.

Reading about all the mechanical changes Nryn posted in the other thread, it's obvious that it should have been turn-based to begin with.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
What do we have here ?

- PC-centric story (supposedly) with party-based gameplay
- Class-based system with class-less mechanics
- Cosmological plot within a strongly regional setting & tone
- A faction system designed around working for all of them at once until the very end
- A game with companions, not-companions and not-not-companions
- You get to be renowned for your extreme cruelty and your christic benevolence at the same time.

Isn't it the perfect evolution for this PoE-saga ride ? The transformation is almost complete ! Behold !
The first game ever designed with absolutely no concession to its absolute modularity and lack of personnality.
Next stop : the optional first person view with full 3D rendering.

It's legit fascinating, at this rate it's impossible to tell the genre of the eventual next game of the series.
I'll put my shekels on a Skyrim-like with bullet time, which can be played with top-down view and turn-based combat. You read it first here.

Deleted Member 22431

Hmmm, part of me is interested, but part of me remembers all the trash battles and fears TB will turn the game into a slog.
This. The remedy might be worse than the disease. You make the combat to end fast with RTwP and then you change to implement turn-based on top of it. They are creating a monstrosity.

Last edited by a moderator:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
All has come to be as it has been written.

In the Codex of RPGs it says in Cain 3:16 :

"And Saint Cain said, behold! let there be turn-based combat! And the people rejoiced and were glad, for there now was turn-based combat where there was none before. And he then commanded, put away the real-time-with-pause gods that are among you, and yield your hearts to the incline, the incline of RPGs. But unto the unbelievers he came with great destruction and put fear into their hearts."

Saint Cain, truly one of the greatest of all the miracle workers of the old days.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Tim Cain didn't have shit to do with this. It's all Josh Sawyer.

Although interestingly, this system is very different from the one in the PnP prototype except for the same AP mechanic.

Last edited:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
These games are designed around trash mobs and filler combat, since the biggest "advantage" of rtwp combat is making them fast and more bareable. A turn-based Pillars game will be a slog unless they completely change all the encounters, good luck with that.

Tigranes

Arcane
These games are designed around trash mobs and filler combat, since the biggest "advantage" of rtwp combat is making them fast and more bareable. A turn-based Pillars game will be a slog unless they completely change all the encounters, good luck with that.

Deadfire doesn't really have the typical level of filler combat. If they did this to POE2, too much trash mobs wouldn't be the reason for it to suck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom