Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I decided to get a refund from Amazon. So far they accepted it, send me the link to print out the personal code and label to ship it back and I am about to send it tomorrow. HOWEVER, the game is activated on Steam, so I wonder how this will proceed. Will they block it at some point? Or inform me few weeks later that they cannot accept the refund?
I've found some discussion about that on amazon.co.uk and it seems like there is no problem with such refunds in UK (the example was Rome 2).

I just wonder what will happen with X: Rebirth on my Steam account? Will it disappear? Or what? Anyone tried that out with other shitty games?

Raapys

Arcane
Good question. Kinda doubt they can be bothered contacting Steam about it...? Or maybe they have some kinda of deal with them that makes the process fairly automatic. *shrug*

hadberz

Novice
It's amazing how screwed up this game is designed. Reminds me of Elemental War of Magic release. I should have followed my gut on this one. Oh well, 45 bucks down the drain.

i hope so, because they did everything to earn and deserve it, but i hope not because who else is going to give me my starships fix? :'(
no, i don't believe in either elite dangerous nor star citizen.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bah, the game gave it up entirely. I was just starting to enjoy it a little, when first a gamebreaking bug occured, then after a few minutes, the game would never start again, because it crashes on the logo screen. What a piece of junk. I try to reinstall it, but if it doesn't start, I give up.

Edit: so, I managed to breathe life in it by deleting my profile (except the save files) in documents.

Last edited:

Raapys

Arcane
I wasn't a huge fan of it in X1 and X2, but starting with X3 I thought it was decent. Still a large'ish gap up to IW2 and Freespace 2 though.

That's the dogfighting aspect mind you. Capital ship combat was always fairly poor, whether you're on the giving or the receiving end.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How is the combat in the X series? is it mostly managment?
Well my mining laser being the most effective weapon tells something about it. I shoot and shoot them with my plasma gun or that other repeating weapon (forgot the name), but I miss them most of the time, despite my aim looking good. With the mining laser, you can aim at the enemy precisely with the mouse, and roast them slowly.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
My memories of X series combat was that it was dull up until you could afford a M6, preferably a Argon Centaur. Then you could really start getting into serious dog fights and even the sector defense missions. And in turn get paid handsomely for kill stealing from the much heavier M1-M2 capital ships.On the other hand Capital ship combat was a very slow and could take ages as you circles each other in a knife fight. But it was quite possible to get skilled at it and clear an entire Xenon sector with one M2.

I don't know if Egosoft has what it takes to turn X rebirth into a fallen Enchantress.

Is it a good thing to turn something into a Fallen Enchantress? Honest question, I haven't played it yet but word was that this game sucked really bad. Was it patched to perfection or something?

I would say yes. Elemental sucked and cost stardock dearly. But they turned it around and since then Fallen Enchantress has been quite well received to the point that it has spawned a full priced "legendary heroes edition" standalone (being sold full price) and a DLC map pack.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I can't believe how retarded the X fanboys are. They must be among the worst in this category. I was browsing the steam forums, and I find thread like "the developers deserve the medal, because they patch the game day after day. How devoted these guys are!" and "if you stop playing X REbirth, you are lame, because the game will be great when the devs iron out the bugs".

Holy shit. I can be a fanboi of things, but this is ridiculous. They really want us to thanks the devs for releasing the game in a broken state.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Oh yer ? I raise you one.

Why all the hate against Egosoft?
Deepsilver is to blame. Egosoft was tied to a deadline and some stupid $$$ numbers they had to make.

Sure, Egosoft's time management could have been the issue as they might have wanted way more than 20 guys can develop in the given time-frame.

But it's also very possible that half way through, Deepsilver was like "we don't like what you have, start over". Of course the deadline wouldn't have been pushed back.

It happens daily. Unfinished games (and the dev's are well aware that it is unfinished) are being released because of money-grubbing publishers who probably occupy employee's who never played any video games but only have their spreadsheet with $$$ that they have to get in after release. How they get it, they don't care. Why don't they care? Because they know that the majority of the players will blame the developers (like this community).

I could very well imagine that one conversation between Egosoft and Deepsilver was somewhat like:

Egosoft: "We don't believe that our fanbase will like the direction we're heading with X Rebirth. Yes, we did let them new it won't be X3 but we still believe that we are going the wrong direction"

Deepsilver: "Well, not our problem. Just see that you can somehow get the sold games number to XX amount!"

A couple months later another meeting with Deepsilver:

Egosoft: "we should really have a Beta. This will help us discover bugs and we will get usable feedback about X Rebirth"

Deepsilver: "But didn't you tell us that you believe your fanbase won't really like the new direction of X Rebirth?! So, no! Definitely no Beta. The sales numbers would drop like flies!"

Best and most famous example.... EA.

Turjan

Arcane
Holy shit. I can be a fanboi of things, but this is ridiculous. They really want us to thanks the devs for releasing the game in a broken state.
Stockholm syndrome. People don't like to admit they made a shitty decision on how to spend their money.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The only thing I could imagine is that the "walking in ships and stations" feature was commanded by the publisher to create a unique selling point. But if that wasn't the case, then ES alone - and no one else - is to blame for ALL this crap.

Gord

Arcane
I wonder if, a couple of years ago, they decided to do some console spin-off with the intention of creating a more linear, action-driven game.
It would have had you playing in a single, upgradeable ship (just like now), maybe with intermittend fps sequences on stations.
When that failed, for whatever reason, they decided to salvage as much as possible and turn it into a pc game closer to the classical X games.

Raapys

Arcane
More like 7 years ago. Probably spent a couple trying to make a good engine(lolfail, every part of it is a mess) then started on the console spinoff thingy. Struggled for a few years trying to get it to work, told by publisher to hurry it up already and then just threw together something resembling an X game in the short time remaining. Some of the assets may have carried over(like the NPCs, he he), but I doubt the 'Rebirth' incarnation we're seeing now has been in development for much more than a couple of years or so. If it has then they're completely talentless.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I can't believe how retarded the X fanboys are. They must be among the worst in this category. I was browsing the steam forums, and I find thread like "the developers deserve the medal, because they patch the game day after day. How devoted these guys are!" and "if you stop playing X REbirth, you are lame, because the game will be great when the devs iron out the bugs".

Nah, Double Fine fanboys take the cake.

Raapys

Arcane
Eh apparently, according to a German gaming magazine, DeepSilver has nothing to do with the game except for the physical medium part of it, printing CDs and such. So looks like they might indeed be blameless here.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Eh apparently, according to a German gaming magazine, DeepSilver has nothing to do with the game except for the physical medium part of it, printing CDs and such. So looks like they might indeed be blameless here.
Yeah. The leading theory seems to be that Egosoft themselves decided to popamolize the game, because back in 2007 when the project started, popamole seemed to be the only thing that was selling. But none of them knew how to make popamole, so they took forever to make an unplayable mess.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Yeah. The leading theory seems to be that Egosoft themselves decided to popamolize the game, because back in 2007 when the project started, popamole seemed to be the only thing that was selling. But none of them knew how to make popamole, so they took forever to make an unplayable mess.

So this grew all on their own pile... gawd, how disgusting...

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

I doubt any of those steamtards played any of the x games before. You should just stick to the egosoft forums.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Yeah, I used to have a massive boner for the X series, but being a fanboy like that is just retarded. There's no defending this pile of shit, no matter how much you want to believe. It reminds me of the worst of fanboys, iTards. Also like I said earlier, unfortunately that level of ridiculous optimism is pretty much standard for the Steam forums.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

Yeah, I used to have a massive boner for the X series, but being a fanboy like that is just retarded. There's no defending this pile of shit, no matter how much you want to believe. It reminds me of the worst of fanboys, iTards. Also like I said earlier, unfortunately that level of ridiculous optimism is pretty much standard for the Steam forums.

Yes, but do not mix Steamtards with the real X community (and by that, I mean the guys that are behind all the mods behind the previous games). Most of them are either silent or in a nuking mood. The few you'd see on Egosoft forum are likely apologetic Steam partizants with butt hurting all over due to spending full price for this turd.

Honest apology from Egosoft and close cooperation with VALUABLE community is the only way to save it (and it doesn't seem likely).

Just look at this thread:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=352790
They are fixing the turd to be a more-or-less-playable turd for consolitis. Speaks volume about their approach to "fixing" things.

My prediction is, that Egosoft that we may have known is dead and get over with it. Tards on Steam and even Egosoft forums are just going to tard more. Hopefully for their demise (together with the idiots that run the company).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom