Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

hiver

Why dont you stop insinuating while beating around the bush and just provide some names?

You arent doing anything different then what those philistines are supposedly doing.

:Flash:

Arcane
If I were asked to drop a name it's Tachyon: The Fringe.
Certainly the least well known of the top-tier space sims out there, it is a great game.
Top-notch voice acting (Bruce Campbell), great mission design, giant space stations, and a flight model that (while still being arcadey) allows for more interesting flight maneuvers than the standard on-rails flight model.
My other favourite is X-Wing Alliance.

There was a time when I tried to collect all space games that came out, which is why I own such obscure titles as Stellar Mercenaries, Starfighter 3000, Xenocracy or Phoenix - Ashes to Ashes. That last one is the last game I'm aware of that runs at full CPU speed and is therefore unplayably fast on modern PCs. It was a DirectX game, you'd think by then developers would have learned their lesson, and Team 17 weren't some nobodys.
The one game I'd still like to own is Terminus. It never came out here, and back then I couldn't order imports. I once came across one copy in a second hand store, but the CD was missing!

Last edited:

Severian Silk

It's been many years since I played Tachyon. It may be time to replay it. X-Wing Alliance however was too difficult for me. I only got as far as like the 6th mission before I quit.

The difference may be that I played Tachyon with a more ergonomic PSX gamepad, and tried playing XWA with a true joystick, which I found uncomfortable when sitting on my desk. If I find another gamepad to replace the one I had, I will try it again.

Why dont you stop insinuating while beating around the bush and just provide some names?

You arent doing anything different then what those philistines are supposedly doing.

+1

There's a notable lack of Hardwar in that list.

:nocountryforshitposters:

AquaNox is also missing. Though I could never get the thing to work with my gamepad and thus play it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcane
It's been many years since I played Tachyon. It may be time to replay it. X-Wing Alliance however was too difficult for me. I only got as far as like the 6th mission before I quit.
X-Wing Alliance is not very well balanced. The starting missions are the hardest. I almost quit a few missions in as well. I don't know the exact number of the mission that drove me nuts, but it was before you join the rebels.
Once you join the rebels, the game gets easier.

Severian Silk

There's one mission where the enemy docks with another ship and you have to kill him 1) but also not hit the ship he's docked with and 2) before he gets away. It's way too hard.

Or I just can't remember all the damn keyboard controls.

Arcane
I made myself my own keyboard reference triangular prism. But it's all in German, so it possibly wouldn't help you much.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There's a notable lack of Hardwar in that list.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Wish they made a sequel to that. Although if they made it now, it would probably be on the same level of quality as X Stillbirth.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Good old Hardwar. :love:

The best part was shopping around for a hangar near a light well. Then install repair droids and make it public. Then, once night falls, fly over to the crowded lightwell and jettison some expensive contraband. A fight breaks out every single time and AI ships limp away to your hangar to get repairs for creds before rejoining the grand melee. You usually get a 4-5x return on investment for some drugs.

Raapys

Arcane
I need to replay it. I never actually managed to do anything fun in Hardwar.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Good old Hardwar. :love:

The best part was shopping around for a hangar near a light well. Then install repair droids and make it public. Then, once night falls, fly over to the crowded lightwell and jettison some expensive contraband. A fight breaks out every single time and AI ships limp away to your hangar to get repairs for creds before rejoining the grand melee. You usually get a 4-5x return on investment for some drugs.

Plus, if the winner of the fight was a criminal type, usually easily identified by their name, you could blast them while they're charging up on the light well and get your cargo back, as well as the police bounty for killing them.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
LOLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOL There's an X Rebirth 2.0 SEEKRIT SERVUS MISHUNZ now. Is anyone retarded enough to pay 25 dorra for this POS by now?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I doubt we've seen such sharp decline in a computer game series since Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, and that's pretty damned impressive.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah I was about to mention Morrowind->Oblivion, but on second thought this is actually an even steeper decline. It's like they just threw away everything they've learned and done since starting the X series. Not only is the design direction completely wrong, but it also feels like it was executed by complete amateurs. The only area in Rebirth that could be said to have some measure of quality is the actual space graphics(*not* the indoors graphics), which are very atmospheric and well-done. Everything else has a 'how do I do this??' or 'fuck this shit, cant be bothered' feel to it. And that's for something that's been in development for 7 years.

Baron

Arcane
Maybe they outsourced sections of it to high schools with IT classes or to prisons. I always loved the soundtracks, and the space graphics do look stunning. Steam has X Rebirth for 50% off. Still can't bring myself to buy it until I hear something positive, anything at all. Not sure that day will come.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Maybe they outsourced sections of it to high schools with IT classes or to prisons. I always loved the soundtracks, and the space graphics do look stunning. Steam has X Rebirth for 50% off. Still can't bring myself to buy it until I hear something positive, anything at all. Not sure that day will come.

Any day now.

At the moment the latest kool features added in the patches are (no BS, this is in an email Egosoft sent me) :

-Autopilot your playership.
-Ability to deal with NPC's without landing on space stations
-Joystick support
-TWO modes for the radar

And other such AWESUM stuff that appeared in X:BTF 15 years ago.

Watch the patch notes for:

-Complete fucking redesign from the ground up to actually resemble the X series in any way.

Then and only then consider buying it. In a Humble Bundle for max 2 dorra, depending on what else is in the bundle.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
X-Rebirth was obviously a failed attempt at breaking into the console market, and Egosoft can burn in hell for trying to serve that piece of crap to the X fans.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, I think they must have scrapped the console plans by now. There was that theory about how it was initially meant to be a console adventure/shooter/spacesim game(and not an actual X game), but that they for some reason tried changing it into more of a classic X half-way through development and scrambled to put together some X-lite gameplay in time for release.

That all fits rather well with all of the ridiculous design decisions and the user interface. And the crappy interiors and station-gameplay would explain why they decided to change direction mid-way; they simply didn't have the talent for that type of gameplay and graphics.

DraQ

Arcane
The only space sim I'd score :5/5: is IWar II.
I wouldn't.

Overall combat and auxiliary mechanics is nice (I kind of liked visual ship design as well), but you get derpy AI, bad UI, inconsistent stealth, near instantaneous autorepair, and slowly extending 'laser' beams ( :lol: ).

The only currently existing space combat sim I could give 5/5 is Frontier. Sure it's rough around the edges but it's the only space sim actually fully embracing that it's set in fucking space and doing a great job about it.

DraQ

Arcane
:lol: X Stillbirth Stillbirth

1666783-soulblighter.png

:bro: to anyone who gets the reference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom