Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
How did you not melt typing this post? I mean you had to be connected to the internet to do so and clearly you're allergic to the interwebs.
as somebody who paid a subjectively quite substantial amount of money for ed, has been playing it since the second beta, and is now being increasingly plagued by disconnects for no reason: fuck you.

cw8

Cipher
How did you not melt typing this post? I mean you had to be connected to the internet to do so and clearly you're allergic to the interwebs.

The X series has always been offline singleplayer. Which means I can slowly build my space empire without online jerks camping around to hit me from behind, like in the jerk stories I heard from Eve. That also means I can play on my offline laptop which I bring to places which doesn't have internet. Also I don't have to see DC or maintenance messages that I've encountered in Diablo 3.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I am not alergic to interwebs. I am allergic to shitty online games.

ED is space game. Online means: LAG, disconections, LAG, LAG, desync, LAG, disconection, lack of modding and obviously F2P model that will come later because they will have to pay for servers. And after few years (or months if they just stock money and call it a day) they will shut this down and you won't be able to play it.

Enjoy: :d1p:
While the few disconnections in ED were annoying, always online doesn't automatically make it a worse game than X:R. X:R was shit at release, and will be more or less shit forever.

Considering Elite Dangerous dropped completely offline i'd say that X-Rebirth will be better game that ED.

Today i am starting fresh 3.0 game to see what is up and i will report later. Probably will record few videos too as i want to finally test huge battles.

edit:
OOHHHHH FUCK YOU. I forgot how annoying is to build your trade network information from ground up. That small talk shitty QTE gives me nightmares.

Fuck it i have better things to do that listen to that shit 400 times to build network, i'm out.
:shunthenonbeliever:

Perkel

Arcane
Heh. I found mod just yesterday that changes it.
Now you can contact trader on station via just commlink and buy from him this for 80,000 cr.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=262382979

Probably will start playing 3.0 today with this. I must say that without this shitty small talk i look forward to rebirth.

- lack of other ships to fly
- rather "small" world
- some bullshit spawning system for enemies
- bigger weaponry
- equipping ships with different weapons/shields and such

is something that keeps it from being proper X4 and overall amazing space game.

Executr

Cipher
So, it seems the X games will be on sale on Steam next weekend (13-15 March) and X-Rebirth will also lower its permanent price for the 3.5 upcoming patch and will be free-to-play that weekend. They're already on sale on Gamergate. Therefore I think this is the right time to get into one of them.

That's why I'm asking my fellow Codexians for your recommendations for which game I should play as a first-timer (and if possible any mod(s) I should add), except for X-Rebirth. I do already have Reunion but do you think I should skip it and go straight for TC or AP?

cw8

Cipher
That's why I'm asking my fellow Codexians for your recommendations for which game I should play as a first-timer (and if possible any mod(s) I should add), except for X-Rebirth. I do already have Reunion but do you think I should skip it and go straight for TC or AP?

Most people just start off with X3TC. AP's the free exppack for X3TC which adds a new plot, faction quests, many new ships, a perpetual war, stock market etc. Note that whatever empire you build in TC cannot be carried over to AP, you'll need to start anew.
I myself bought the Superbox few years back. I started off with X2, then X3: Reunion and then to TC and AP. About 300-400+ hours for each game.

Branm

Learned
Meh I hated most of the design decisions in Rebirth......The fact you're stuck in one ship was a huge deal breaker for me....

The old games are pretty good though, I spent a ton of time with the newer AP.

Perkel

Arcane
It will be free to play weekend so download and try it.
If you are new dude to X games then it might be your thing as there are almost no games that can give you ability to build empire from 0.

If you are X veteran or played it briefly then jump straight into X3TC with X-tended 2.0+ mod.
AP is good but it doesn't have fantastic X-tended mod.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
If you get yourself the Superbox, do as cw8 did, you'll get the most out of it (its sufficient to play x2 and maybe even Reunion only up to the point where you finish its main Storyline) AND have the easiest start, regarding the learning of new things.
X2 was the easiest to get into, because it provided you with extensive simulator-tutorials that covered a lot of details you'd have to find out yourself in later games.

If only buying TC OR AP is an option, i'd go with AP. I played both for extensive amount of times and AP is just more fun, because the AI is a bit more capable, the War-Sectors provide you with plenty opportunity to deploy even full Carriers Squads and Missile-M7 actually do something.

If you don't plan on staying vanilla (that is, being able to get Steam Achivements and upload your Stats), you should probably start this Mod right before starting your game:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=324236

It gives you the best from both worlds, providing you with the plots from Terran Conflicto on top of those from AP and everything in the improved engine of AP.

Edit:

Holy shit:

Hi there,

after our work on the 3.50 update for X Rebirth will soon be finished, we are currently considering to also start working on another update for the X3 games (X3TC and/or X3AP in particular).

One idea that we thought about a lot was to make better use of the ability to draw graphs and use them for station information logging (prices / ware amounts etc)

So I wanted to use this opportunity to ask about your ideas and wishes or maybe existing mods that you would want us to integrate. Please post in this thread and I will try to read and see if maybe one or two things can make it into the development. Obviously the chances for it to happen rapidly reduce if the idea requires big asset changes.

Looking forward to your ideas...

-Bernd

Note:
This was a post by the boss of Egosoft on the official forums.

This is actually REALLY great, if you have an account over there and maybe some ideas, chime in here:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=378073

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
So they are backing out from X-Rebirth, sweeten their community with X3 updates and possibly making real X4 on X-Rebirth engine ?

Yes please.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Too late, Egoshit. You already pissed on the franchise, then ate it, then shat out the remains and then set the shit on fire. X Stillbirth is literally the worst big-budget game of all time. Instead of the Citizen Kane of Gaming, you made the Max Payne the Movie of Gaming.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Too late, Egoshit. You already pissed on the franchise, then ate it, then shat out the remains and then set the shit on fire. X Stillbirth is literally the worst big-budget game of all time. Instead of the Citizen Kane of Gaming, you made the Max Payne the Movie of Gaming.
It's never too late. If they make an X4 that's actually good and a true sequel to X3, then I'm certainly not going to avoid it due to still being annoyed with the X-Rebirth fiasco. A game is a game.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Exactly.
Egosoft is known to sort-of learn from their experiences.
If they deliver an actual X4, this will be a Day1 purchase (and be played as soon as Patch v2.0 is out).
And while X Rebirth is not great, at least in its current state its not that shitty.
If you enjoyed games like Darkstar One, Rebirth is alright.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
It's never too late. If they make an X4 that's actually good and a true sequel to X3, then I'm certainly not going to avoid it due to still being annoyed with the X-Rebirth fiasco. A game is a game.
Lul, like that ever happens. I'm sure Call of Doody 39 will be a good game again and not console shit like the previous ones, right? Developers don't just go back to making good games on their own.

Besides, that's not even remotely ext they're suggesting, they are going back to patching OLD games, not making a new one.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Deus Ex: Human Revolution does ring a bell?

Ach, w/e, you obviously just want to cry around.
If a developer sees in clear lines that the old games brought in money and the new ones don't, he has good reasons to switch back.
Problem with Cowadoody is that it can be as simplified as ever, the target audience (Boys from 8 to 17) still buy it or force their parents to do so.
Thats nothing that can be said for the target audience of X.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
X Stillbirth still sold big. Egosoft has pretty much promised that it was the last X game. But keep enjoying that fantasy. Maybe if we all sing Kumbaya enough, the decline will spontaneously reverse.

Perkel

Arcane
Well it all depends on how Limit Theory will do.

If it will do what goes in those videos of his then i can safely say goodbye to X games as LT will be on whole other scale. If not they can try many times and i will care if they will release proper X game.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
X Stillbirth still sold big. Egosoft has pretty much promised that it was the last X game. But keep enjoying that fantasy. Maybe if we all sing Kumbaya enough, the decline will spontaneously reverse.

Yes, and that is exactly why they now are coming out of the blue with asking the community for ideas for the next Patches for Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude.
Games where the older came out 7 years ago.

Yeah, totally a valid sign for them seing no future in the X series.
:hmmm:

Re limit theory:

No story, no limits, and no rules. Experience the synergy of total freedom and boundless opportunity.
No hand-crafted assets. The universe is built procedurally - from the asteroids to the planets right down to the ships - so each game is completely different.

I don't have enough faith in procedural generation to believe that this will not suck.

Last edited:

tripedal

Augur
Well it all depends on how Limit Theory will do.

If it will do what goes in those videos of his then i can safely say goodbye to X games as LT will be on whole other scale. If not they can try many times and i will care if they will release proper X game.

Do we even know if the Limit Theory guy is alive? It does seem extremely promising, but his disappearance is a bad sign.

Perkel

Arcane
Yes, and that is exactly why they now are coming out of the blue with asking the community for ideas for the next Patches for Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude.
Games where the older came out 7 years ago.

Yeah, totally a valid sign for them seing no future in the X series.
:hmmm:

Re limit theory:

I don't have enough faith in procedural generation to believe that this will not suck.

Just look at dev videos. Ships fallow some rules where mass, firepower, cargo and so on dictate how ship looks. Yeah you will find some ships ugly as hell but occasionally you will find something cool.

Do we even know if the Limit Theory guy is alive? It does seem extremely promising, but his disappearance is a bad sign.

He didn't disappear. Dude is working hard to overdeliver next update. Rumor goes it will be beta and soon release.

Executr

Cipher
Thank you all for the suggestions. I grabbed X2. I'll play it, as well as Reunion, to ease the learning curve. If they manage to grab, I'll get TC and AP at a later time.

cw8

Cipher
X2 also has the best main plot and grand finale mission. The X3s aren't too interesting for their plots. Reunion's last mission is a freaking let down.

Perkel

Arcane
X2 also has the best main plot and grand finale mission. The X3s aren't too interesting for their plots. Reunion's last mission is a freaking let down.

Did you really play X game for story ? Because it is like buying whore to be your girfriend.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Ach, come on. The Story in X2 was nice (not great) and gave a good feeling for the lore of the Universe.
Its not really the main focus of the game, but i appreciate it, if the Devs put a bit of work in how and why their universe is the way it is now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom