Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

cw8

Cipher
X2 also has the best main plot and grand finale mission. The X3s aren't too interesting for their plots. Reunion's last mission is a freaking let down.

Did you really play X game for story ? Because it is like buying whore to be your girfriend.

Heh, nope but it's a good icing on the big cake, makes you feel more involved and at least understand why things are as they are. X2 had a pretty epic last mission. And the storyline involving the Khaak was hell a lot more interesting than the whatever X3s churned out with. Reunion's last mission was a letdown because you're stuck in whatever ship they gave you and you can't bring your whole battle fleet in either.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Yo bros, as someone who only played X2, but quite a bit, what's the skinny on differences with X3(I know X4 is not good), aside from graphics? I sunk a lot of time into X2 many moons ago and enjoyed building a little space empire, so is there a point in playing X3 then, or are the differences not enough for essentially a revisit? Don't even know where my X2 discs are, so I might get one of them on the upcoming sale anyways.

cw8

Cipher
Yo bros, as someone who only played X2, but quite a bit, what's the skinny on differences with X3(I know X4 is not good), aside from graphics? I sunk a lot of time into X2 many moons ago and enjoyed building a little space empire, so is there a point in playing X3 then, or are the differences not enough for essentially a revisit? Don't even know where my X2 discs are, so I might get one of them on the upcoming sale anyways.

Many improvements/differences actually:
- Factory complexes. You can chain everything up together this time. And they feed each other. So you don't have to rely on automated transports to ferry goods from one factory to another.
- Heck a lot more ships and ship classes. M4+ Heavy M4s , M3+ Heavy M3s, M7 Frigate classes, M6+ Heavy Corvette, M7M Missile Frigates which you can spam projectiles, M7C Light Carrier class in AP
- Heck a lot more missiles and factories
- Your own HQ and sector. Your HQ is a unique building which allows you to reverse engineer any ship you have or capture so you can directly manufacture ships without buying them. Good way to mass produce Xenon ships and the Hyperion. Also paint your ships. You also have your own personalised sector eventually. You even get to choose which.
- Terran faction ships which are widely differently from the Commonwealth, and different weapons. You can play as Terran.
- You get to visit the Solar System and Earth.
- Boarding. And yes you can board any ship even Xenon ships and own them now. Xenon ships are exceptionally hard to board
- Shitty tutorial compared to X2. No BBS system starting from X3:TC. You take missions by communicating directly with the building. Easier but I prefer the charm of the BBS
- Perpetual war in X3:AP until you end it or let it go on.
- Crappier story

KoolNoodles

Arcane

Many improvements/differences actually:
- Factory complexes. You can chain everything up together this time. And they feed each other. So you don't have to rely on automated transports to ferry goods from one factory to another.

That alone might be worth it, man was that a chore.

Perkel

Arcane
TC is big huge improvement over X2 but Xtended for TC is like X4 in therms of scale.

Each faction now look completely different, huge new universe that expands, bigger space in each sector, ton of new ships, weapons, missles and so on, each faction now is distinct and huge load of new things like aliens and so on, you can build your own shipyards, homebases, trading stations and so on.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I'm going to grab X3 for the $8, as someone who only played 1&2. Not sure about trying Rebirth.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Loved X2, couldnt get into X3 despite improvements. Space feels much bigger, visuals are top notch, many gameplay additions. However there no cockpits, no station interiors, you dont see your ship when you enter a gate, just little things like that which added to the immersion. Plus I really didnt like the HUD and how the whole screen is busy and filled with little icons everywhere.

And funnily enough, i was so used to the interface from X1 and X2, that i really didnt like the changes in X3. X2 its all keyboad driven, i knew all shortcuts, it was a breeze just playing the game with the keyboard.

Anyway, X3 is still objectively the better and bigger game, not to mention X3 TC and its mods, which make it superb.

Personally though, my favourite is still X-Tension.

cw8

Cipher
They should let people try X3 instead of Rebirth. Rebirth gave the franchise such a black mark, it should be locked away, never let out and forgotten. Now the mainstream players are gonna refer to X series as the dumbed down flight sim trying to be a console game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
All of the X games are free this weekend including X3 and it's iterations, X2, and X.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Uninstalled after an hour. Keep in mind, though, I'm not really the target audience of the older X games (extreme simulators with a ton of management). I'm more of a Freelancer/Wing Commander Privateer fan. I'll wait for something like Rogue Galaxy or hope the single player aspect of Star Citizen isn't terrible.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Loved X2, couldnt get into X3 despite improvements. Space feels much bigger, visuals are top notch, many gameplay additions. However there no cockpits, no station interiors, you dont see your ship when you enter a gate, just little things like that which added to the immersion. Plus I really didnt like the HUD and how the whole screen is busy and filled with little icons everywhere.

And funnily enough, i was so used to the interface from X1 and X2, that i really didnt like the changes in X3. X2 its all keyboad driven, i knew all shortcuts, it was a breeze just playing the game with the keyboard.

Anyway, X3 is still objectively the better and bigger game, not to mention X3 TC and its mods, which make it superb.

Personally though, my favourite is still X-Tension.
I eventually got over it, although I still think the X2 interface is better. X3 has much better muh grafix and spehs opera especially with music mods, but managing a huge trade empire was much easier in X2. X3 was already the beginning of the popamoling of the series. I also didn't like the complete retcon of ship and station designs and weapons into something completely different. What saved X3 though is the huge amount of new content. And missions help you get money a lot easier early on.

Uninstalled after an hour. Keep in mind, though, I'm not really the target audience of the older X games (extreme simulators with a ton of management). I'm more of a Freelancer/Wing Commander Privateer fan. I'll wait for something like Rogue Galaxy or hope the single player aspect of Star Citizen isn't terrible.

Clearly. If you were a true Xfag like me there's no way you would have been able to stand that bullcrap for a whole hour. Ironically lots of the stuff that you have to micromanage in Stillbirth are nicely automated in X 1-3. Or, you know, "streamlined" out completely.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I am an XFag and im enjoying Rebirth. I just accept its a different game. I like many of the changes, highway system and the map layout, huge stations, docking, immershun, and other stuff. Sure there are things missing and what not, but I can always play X3 if i want.

Looking forward to the next game, if they build upon and improve on Rebirth.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Well I skipped 3 and waited on 4(which bombed), and I'm enjoying 3 right now with Xtended mod. Mount and Blade in space, indeed. Good stuff.

Perkel

Arcane
Well I skipped 3 and waited on 4(which bombed), and I'm enjoying 3 right now with Xtended mod. Mount and Blade in space, indeed. Good stuff.

finally someone smart.

hint:

Depot is cheap compared to Homebase. So if you have few stations now get depot for that "homebase" feel. Also light carriers are relatively cheap (as they store only like 3-4 fighters so get one ASAP with jumpdrive and you can play then wingcommander with your own wing deploying whenever you want fucking shit up and jumping away after docking on your light carrier.

KoolNoodles

Arcane

finally someone smart.

hint:

Depot is cheap compared to Homebase. So if you have few stations now get depot for that "homebase" feel. Also light carriers are relatively cheap (as they store only like 3-4 fighters so get one ASAP with jumpdrive and you can play then wingcommander with your own wing deploying whenever you want fucking shit up and jumping away after docking on your light carrier.

That will be a while. From X2: I'm used to trading, and then getting a Solar Power Plant/Freighter system going to make money. I understand some parts of that have been streamlined. Right now I'm still on basic trading. I didn't know what the "standard" start was with Xtended, so I started as Terran with the Baldric. As of now I'm sitting on 2x Baldric, Sabre, Buster, and Paranid freighter(captured). Just starting out, basically.

I'll keep your recommendations in mind though, for when I get a few more space bucks.

Perkel

Arcane

finally someone smart.

hint:

That will be a while. From X2: I'm used to trading, and then getting a Solar Power Plant/Freighter system going to make money. I understand some parts of that have been streamlined. Right now I'm still on basic trading. I didn't know what the "standard" start was with Xtended, so I started as Terran with the Baldric. As of now I'm sitting on 2x Baldric, Sabre, Buster, and Paranid freighter(captured). Just starting out, basically.

I'll keep your recommendations in mind though, for when I get a few more space bucks.

There is no "standard start" in Xtended. Each start starts differently. From being actual pirate with factions relations on red to being retired colonel with your own battleship.

Imho start you choose is good. Some other useful hints:

- Buy and deploy satelites. Standard ones are ~8k so pretty cheap and when you deploy it it will work like a ship in sector relying you data on prices and such. If you set up network of satelites you will have data on each station in those sectors. Only problem with them is that they are rarely in stock so most of the time you will have to buy advanced ones for 20k pop. So imo if you have already traders try to buy resources for satellite factories and deliver them at the same time and buy each sattelite they produce right after production (because someone may buy them if you wait because there is ton of demand there)

- Don't invest in solar factories at start. They are good source of money but they are super expensive and unlike X2 or vanilla X3 Xtended stations are usually well fed with with energy as universe will expand and there will be soon new XL stations that will produce shitload of energy to distribute.
Also unlike vanilla X3 it does require Crystals and those are not cheap to get and there isn't any way of reliably getting them cheap (so you would have to hunt for good prices) Since solar powerplants really fast eat up crystals you need steady supply of them at good price to get good return from investement in short time. If you will build one without proper chain you will spend hours trying to recover costs. Proper solar energy industry is not cheap and will require you at least 50-60 mln to generate proper money.
It would be much cheapter to you to use one of those XL stations as your own buying overstocked energy and selling it that buying your own solar stations for a while.

- if you want to start production imo silicon and ore are good ones to start they are relatively cheap (you can buy L station for like 1,5 mln) and there is universal demand so always someone is starving for those.

- Good mision to do is usually ship re-trivial. It is good money but you need to look out for timer and where ship is as there is a chance that ship will be so slow it won't be able to reach required station in time (those kind of things are handled by light carriers)

- missles. They are expensive but use them. If you have to take with normal guns M5 or M4 and you are flying something like M3 or heavy M4 it is better to send barrage of missles instead of spending next 30 minutes trying to catch up game. Mosqitoes are cheap (200 per pop i think) Stock always 20-30 of them in case of some shitty pirate m5 bugging you.

- military grade shields. They are expensive as fuck and hard to find or buy but they are well worth the price if you fly fighter or battleship.

- bombers. Unlike vanilla game ships now have strict weapon requirements. This is extended to missles. Bomber wing now can do ton of fucking damage with proper missles. So if you want to take on M6 or bigger ships without spending bilions on cap ships get yourself bomber wing. It will cost a lot but it will be much cheaper than fully equiped cap ship.

- buying super expensive cap ship is nothing. Fully equipping it and what is more important maintaining it (missles, shields) is money black hole. Salvo of thorpedoes can cost you 100k a pop and battles can last a good while.

- As above. Generally good idea about buying ships is that you need to x amount of money to buy it and exact same amout of money to fully equip it.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I guess I just lucked out and found an abandoned Notus...heavy fighter? Seems to be, never used one before. It's pretty dinged up though.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I guess I just lucked out and found an abandoned Notus...heavy fighter? Seems to be, never used one before. It's pretty dinged up though.
There are a few abandoned, heavily damaged ships floating around, moatly in the UNKNOWN SECTOR sectors. Their locations are on all the wikis, guides etc.

Perkel

Arcane
There are a few abandoned, heavily damaged ships floating around, moatly in the UNKNOWN SECTOR sectors. Their locations are on all the wikis, guides etc.

He is playing XTC. XTC has different worldspace (much bigger and betterlooking).

Normal. fighters have like 10% chance for pilot to bail out. The bigger ship the less chance for bailout.
Imo sell it for money and invest that in traders

After few days of playing XTC you will be able to know where to look for them but usually you will find M5 or M4. I 3 times overall found M6 pretty damaged.

Also if ships is heavily damaged (more than 50-60%) it is better to sell it instead to repair it.

Like i said earlier equiping ship is second buying price and m3s are expensive in everything. Running one without proper shields will quickly lead to repairs in range of 500k for a small fight and shields for that if i remember right are medium ones so they are expensive (especially military ones)

So if you find bailedout M3 and it is badly damaged you would need to first cover repairs from you pocket which would usually mean more money than actually buying new one + covering for new equipment since most likely most of its equipment is destroyed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom