Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

or get out of your ship and drop a rock on the alt button.

Perkel

Arcane
They took out repair laser in Xtended mod, probably for that reason.

yeah.

They took it out precisely because people bail ships more in Xtended. Also it is a good way to earn money (scavenge battlesites).

I once started as scavenger bought myself quickly dolphin (small transporter) + small m4 3 ship fighter wing to defend me and picked up all those shields, missles, cargo even ships from battlezones.
Though wars are a bit dynamic so you won't be able to predict which sectors will be most profitable

Also if play extended read BB. Configure button in option and read ton of news from space.

if somebody can put together a detailed guide on how to install xtended on x3ap perhaps i could try it out.
last time it didn't work.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
They took out repair laser in Xtended mod, probably for that reason.

yeah.

They took it out precisely because people bail ships more in Xtended. Also it is a good way to earn money (scavenge battlesites).

I once started as scavenger bought myself quickly dolphin (small transporter) + small m4 3 ship fighter wing to defend me and picked up all those shields, missles, cargo even ships from battlezones.
Though wars are a bit dynamic so you won't be able to predict which sectors will be most profitable

Also if play extended read BB. Configure button in option and read ton of news from space.

Yeah I did that for the BB, it's a nice touch! And some interesting features, like gambling. :)

Perkel

Arcane
if somebody can put together a detailed guide on how to install xtended on x3ap perhaps i could try it out.
last time it didn't work.

xtended is only compatibile with TC. There is experimental version of for AP but it is not officially supported by Xtended devs nor they plan to. It is buggy mess.

AP itself doesn't have anything interesting compared to Xtended aside from bit bigger UI screens

How to install Xtended:

Install X3TC and update it at least to version above 3.2
Then download 2.0 xtended and install it poiting your TC instalation place
Then download 2.2 hotfix and copy and paste into TC folder.

That is it.

last time i had to mess a lot with the mod manager which screwed everything anyway, and looks like a lot of links to guides are broken, that's why i've asked for help.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Yeah I just installed it to my Steam directory with the provided installers, and then unzipped the hotfix into the parent TC folder, and everything worked out fine. No need to mess around with mod managers and all that.

right, sure, 200k to fix my starting ship when i earn 1k at best from affordable missions.
a ship which can't trade, can't kill, can just zoom around protecting the hebrew race.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
People familiar with X-tended mod, is there an easier way to get Marines? I can't seem to find any. There aren't any at the closest Terran Military Outpost and I'm not seeing any Marine Barracks etc. at the 14 or so sectors I've been to(and I've dropped advanced sats in most).

Also, is there an updated system map? I'm all for exploration, and I'll do most of it, but I wanted to fully explore my "home turf"(Terran space), and it seems the map that came up has some missing connections. At least I can't get to a bunch of Terran systems. Unless I'm missing something there. A lot of the gates loop in on themselves. Do I need some mission or higher rank to get to the inner worlds of a race? It has been a long time since I played X2 and I never played X3.

Perkel

Arcane
right, sure, 200k to fix my starting ship when i earn 1k at best from affordable missions.
a ship which can't trade, can't kill, can just zoom around protecting the hebrew race.

Depends what ship you have.

If you have scout ship (m5) then you should do non combat missions like:

- ship retrieval
- passanger transport*
- asteroid scans*

* requires buying module (mineral scaner or life support system)
if you have light fighter m4 then you could do above and some light combat missions but don't expect to fight other m4 if you are alone. So you can accept those missions but when m4 shows up instead of m5 then ditch the mission.

Honestly if you have shitty ship then you should do above 3 missions. ship retrieval is profitable a lot and with some luck you can earn second ship in no time.
After you will buy life support system you can as well transport people

If you have fast ship you can try also to accept missions in which you deliver some small quantity of comonents (that can easily fit into even m5). Problem is that there is a chance of spawning enemies so that speed is essential.

This is why there are so many different "starting campaigns".

In one case you may start with M5 and 0 guns, in other with M4, in other with supersize class trader and personal m4. Try different scenarios.

Usually people like to choose that start with supersized traded ship and m4 as m4 allows you quickly to travel, explore and so on where trader ship trades goods for you.

If you choose Argon Emigrant for example you will start with slow m4 in shitty region.
If you take Loyal Lar start then you will start with M6 (which is class lower from capital bettlesips) + your own homebase
Terran colonel or something like that has basically capital battleship.

Imo most interesting start is human famele one as you start with m3 (heavy fighter) good weapons and all factions as enemies sans pirates and yaki. Naturally it takes ton of experience to pull it of but creating your own pirate empire from basically nothing is worthy goal and hella of achievement in the end.

People familiar with X-tended mod, is there an easier way to get Marines? I can't seem to find any. There aren't any at the closest Terran Military Outpost and I'm not seeing any Marine Barracks etc. at the 14 or so sectors I've been to(and I've dropped advanced sats in most).

Also, is there an updated system map? I'm all for exploration, and I'll do most of it, but I wanted to fully explore my "home turf"(Terran space), and it seems the map that came up has some missing connections. At least I can't get to a bunch of Terran systems. Unless I'm missing something there. A lot of the gates loop in on themselves. Do I need some mission or higher rank to get to the inner worlds of a race? It has been a long time since I played X2 and I never played X3.

Marines will be trained at marine training facilities i believe but it takes m7m class ship to use them. If you started recently and run like couple of traders m6 is waaay out of your league finantially and needs full combat support to even work.

To board ships above m3 you need m7m and marines and to get them on board safely you need full combat support from fighter wings

Xtended mod has one imo awesome feature. World expanding !
Worldspace you play is basically new space for most of factions and they all start from essentially few sectors to more sectors. This also means that new sectors which will be added after a time will need factories and such so NPC will generate missions for you like buiding factory for someone and delivering it or simply delivering factory to that new sector.

Those expansions are all in BB and you can read stories connected to them, who discovered them why and so on. It also takes reaaaaly long time to reach last systems and your space will almost double from initial state and new connections will be created. Finally on last stages of expansion game will add sectors that are not safe and soon factions will often fight xenon, pirates and so on.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Also ship classes for new people to X series. To make it clear some classes specialize in something but overall ship sclass is everything. Which means that m3 will always win with m4 and m4 will always win with m5.

Capital Ships (Ships that cannot dock in factories like IRE forge)
M1 = Carrier (Has hangar slots for multiple fighters.)
M2 = Destroyer (Heaviest ship class in TC. Has the most firepower and shielding. No hangar.)
M7 = Frigate (Lighter version of M2, some have a hangar for fighters like the Split Panther.)
M7M = Missile Frigate (Requires missles [Hammer, Flail, Ghoul, Shadow] to work properly. Also often used for boarding, since it is the only class that can use boarding pods.)
TL = Large Transport (Not really a capital ship, because it lacks firepower and shielding. It is used to build stations [the only class with ST class cargo].)

Other ships (Can dock in all stations.)
M6 = Corvette ("Extra heavy fighters". Great player ships [Springblossom, Hyperion Vanguard...], because they are quite fast, have quite much firepower and shielding and can dock in all stations. Also can be used for spacewalk boarding.)
M8 = Bomber (Smaller version of the M7M and uses different missiles [Tomahawk, Phantom]. Useful when fighting capitalships in earlygame.)
M5 = Scout (Light ships that are really fast and are great for scouting, but lack the firepower and shielding to do anything else. Able to dock in M1,M7,TL,TM.)
M4 = Interceptor (Medium class fighter. Used to fight other M4 and M5. Able to dock in M1,M7,TL,TM.)
M3 = Fighter ("Basic" Fighters. Not much to say. Able to dock in M1,M7,TL,TM.)
TM = Military Transport (Poorman's Carrier. Has only a few fighter slots.)
TS = Transport (The backbone of the economy. Used to take all sorts of wares around the universe.)
TP = Passenger Transport (A Taxi ship. The ship able to do taxi missions. Can be used in spacewalk boarding.)

Perkel

Arcane
Like i said earlier it is really good to invest early in TM class ship, It gives you basically 3-4 ship squad of fighters (naturally you need to buy those fighters) and jumpdrive.

Problem occurs like for example transport being attacked ---- > jump with TM to hot zone ---> deploy fighters ----> safe trader.
Also it is really awesome to do fighting missions like that and it can have more energy cells (fuel for jumpdrive) than your m3 which will allow you to jump a lot instead of restocking every few times.

edit: (and it is very cheap, something like i think 500k without equipment).

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Well I sold that Notus for around 4 mil, then bought a light TP because I wanted marines(found a derelict M6), been on the hunt for those, but seems the only ones nearby are in Argon space and they don't like me enough to let me board..... :D

I'm just a few percentages away from ranking up with Terran and being able to buy an M3, so I think that's my next course of action. Sell a few things, rank up, get the M3, blast some pirates in Argon territory, rank up, buy some marines, steal that M6(if it's still around).

Should be interesting.

- ship retrieval
- passanger transport*
- asteroid scans*
ship retrieval is going to fail without jumpdrive.
passenger transport is either bugged or small ships can't board people because whenever i taken one it vanishes into thin air.
asteroid scans requires a module i can't afford.

anyway, i'm going to end into a crossfire sooner or later, not being able to pay for repairs.
removing the repairing laser is definitely a terrible move.

Perkel

Arcane

- ship retrieval
- passanger transport*
- asteroid scans*
ship retrieval is going to fail without jumpdrive.
passenger transport is either bugged or small ships can't board people because whenever i taken one it vanishes into thin air.
asteroid scans requires a module i can't afford.

anyway, i'm going to end into a crossfire sooner or later, not being able to pay for repairs.
removing the repairing laser is definitely a terrible move.

bugged my ass.
Ship retrieval depends only on time. So if you see that target ship is just 2 sectors away and you have 50 mizuras (minutes) then you would really need to be unlucky to get ship in really bad shape.
you need life support cargo. without it you simply can't take passengers
yeah mineral scaning module requires money

Either way in Xtended starting from 0 is really start from 0. So if you don't like this start, you have several different starts where you can pick and choose which you like. There are definetely harder and easier "starts"

Imo if you are newbie to Xtended pick merchant mentioned above. Quickly you will be able to field small ship squadron and take on some combat missions.

it feels a lot like the supposed "best" mod for freelancer: the vanilla game already sucked sweaty donkey balls, the mod multiplies the grind tenfold at least, makes the fight last days, everything costs an arm and three legs and everything basically becomes a chore.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Just try to get good m8.
Haven't bothered with extended so far (probably will be derping around in Reunion a bit for the Story and to be able again to fire Shockwaves again from M6), but with derelict Ships being not that rare, Money should be not that difficult to come by, allowing you to repair your stuff.
Reducing the difficulty to "easy" is supposed to give you the Repairlaser back, idk if this still works.

Perkel, do you have an Overview on what exactly each start gives you in Extended?

Perkel

Arcane
Just try to get good m8.
Haven't bothered with extended so far (probably will be derping around in Reunion a bit for the Story and to be able again to fire Shockwaves again from M6), but with derelict Ships being not that rare, Money should be not that difficult to come by, allowing you to repair your stuff.
Reducing the difficulty to "easy" is supposed to give you the Repairlaser back, idk if this still works.

Perkel, do you have an Overview on what exactly each start gives you in Extended?

Just start with them you will see what you have in property and check your faction relations. Each have different spin and each start in different part of universe.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
New Patch (v3.6) is out:

New features and improvements:
New Feature: Target can now be set directly from within the holomap.
New Feature: Flight assist mode can now be disabled.
• Added audio feedback for when the game is saved.
• Added possibility to talk to Ship Dealers and buy/sell ships remotely via the station's communication conversation.
• Improved behaviour of acceleration/deceleration controls when crossing zero speed boundary.
• Improved text-readability of distance and destination texts at target elements.
• Improved performance and responsiveness of UI.
• Improved accuracy of mouse click/pick detection.
• Improved shooting behavior in external view.
• Improved readability of start menu, options menu and sidebar by removing "scan lines".
• Improved accuracy of out-of-sector trade lane calculations resulting in faster trades via Cargolifters URVs.

Fixes:

• Fixed memory leak in upkeep missions causing large savegames and long game shutdown times.
• Fixed player falling through floor of ship if walking around while in super-highway.
• Fixed broken player movement after certain multi-stage conversations.
• Fixed mouse cursor being stuck hidden and confined when loading a savegame while on a platform.
• Fixed police not picking up all dropped illegal containers from player when scanned.
• Fixed engineer repairing hull too slowly if there are no other damaged elements.
• Fixed shipyards potentially starting to build when something is docking/undocking.
• Fixed ships/stations still shooting at objects when they shouldn't in certain cases.
• Fixed some cases where small ships and drones were dragged by capital ships instead of flying to the correct destination.
• Fixed combat drones not using evade manoeuvers in several cases.
• Fixed missing weapons in playership encyclopedia entry.
• Fixed several issues with crafting mission.
• Fixed several issues with text and localisations.
• Fixed several issues with the Twilight Sentinel plot battle.
• Fixed Plutarch Overwatch station repairing itself after being destroyed.
• Fixed engine rotation of the Eterscel Raider.
• Fixed trade reservation clean up when canceling trade plans on player-owned ships.
• Fixed issues with drone capacity after a drone launch pad is destroyed.
• Fixed not being able to steer after loading certain savegames.
• Fixed several bugs related to launching and docking remote controlled drones.
• Fixed some cases where mouse-picking positions on menus were incorrect.
• Fixed distance text at target elements not being centered.
• Fixed details menu for ships in construction.
• Fixed some incorrect speed values in menus.
• Fixed problem highlighting station modules by clicking on them in the map.
• Fixed incorrect part positions in holomap detail view.
• Fixed accuracy issues with trade prices in savegames.
• Fixed rare cases of turrets trying to shoot through other objects which are in line-of-sight of their actual target.
• Fixed rare cases of sound-effects coming from the wrong positions in the cockpit or during remote control.
• Fixed several causes for managers reporting incorrect recommended budget and transferring too much money to player account.
• Fixed NPC built stations in the plot from sometimes never being completed by allowing a new builder ship to be ordered.
• Fixed several small glitches with the crosshair in external view.
• Fixed player being allowed to dock at ships after they were sold.
• Fixed re-entering ROVs at the last moment causing issues with bomb ammo and exiting the drone again.
• Fixed architect not asking for enough credits.
• Fixed incorrect profit calculations.
• Fixed cases of stuck ships in build-areas preventing stations from being constructed.
• Fixed missing rare engine reward bug in crafting mission.
• Fixed station-owned ships ignoring non-player-owned stations when attempting to sell off products or leftover cargo from their homebase.
• Fixed drone units being marked as "in use" even if launching them failed.
• Fixed Traitor drones not replenishing bomb ammo when bombs are detonated while the drone is docked.
• Fixed certain cases of being unable to dock on captured ships.
• Fixed issue causing excessive stalls when quitting a game session.
• Fixed issue causing performance to degrade slowly over a long game session.
• Fixed several more causes of crashes.
• Several small performance and memory optimisations.

Flight assist-off aka "fly in direction X while turning ship and firing in a different one" might be quite noice.

They also sort-of announced somewhere that they are working on a new installment of X that is more akin to the older ones, giving you the possibility back to fly different ships.

tripedal

Augur
Why are they trying to fix this unfixable abortion instead of making something good from scratch? If it's a reputational issue, just give away a free copy of the next game to anyone who bought X:R.

Turjan

Arcane
Why are they trying to fix this unfixable abortion instead of making something good from scratch? If it's a reputational issue, just give away a free copy of the next game to anyone who bought X:R.
I'm afraid that the learning effect is quite limited when your shittiest game made the most money of all.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I'm afraid that the learning effect is quite limited when your shittiest game made the most money of all.
That's just because of the initial steam sales though. It dropped sales like crazy just after a few days when everybody figured out just how rotten the game actually was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom