Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X4: Foundations - Mount and Blade with space-ships. Now with significant Beta update

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Does it support mods? As it is singleplayer, am I to expect player-made upgrades and tweaks?

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, it's always been a very moddable series.

This teleporter thing seems very overpowered. Instantly teleport to any of your properties as many times as you want? Is this something from Reburth?

Perkel

Arcane
Does it support mods? As it is singleplayer, am I to expect player-made upgrades and tweaks?

Yes, and aside from stillbirt modding community always took half finished game and made it into one of the best space games. There are already few mods but i fully expect people to start outputting a lot of mods soon.

Yeah, it's always been a very moddable series.

This teleporter thing seems very overpowered. Instantly teleport to any of your properties as many times as you want? Is this something from Reburth?

Nope, new x4 feature. I can't say it is overpowered really. You can't teleport ships.
X3 always had jumpdrives which X4 doesn't have and jumpdrives were op.

Morkar Left

Have neither time nor the stress free mind to actually being able to enjoy it. Oh fuck it I bought it anyway.

Raapys

Arcane
Ah yeah, forgot about no jump drives. In that light it does make more sense.

This "Autopilot epically failed" computer statement was quite accurate after running into not one but two asteroids in the span of 5 seconds.

Perkel

Arcane
Ah yeah, forgot about no jump drives. In that light it does make more sense.

This "Autopilot epically failed" computer statement was quite accurate after running into not one but two asteroids in the span of 5 seconds.

Lack of jumpdrives is the biggest incline about X4.
Previously in X3 you just hit a button and your whole fleet just jumped on top of enemy base.
On other hand if you were in position of defending enemy ships just jump in on top of your base. Core or border doesn't matter.

So you:
Never had to deal with patrols
Never had to establish trade routes and protect those routes.
Never had to deal with issue that as your empire grows it gets more and more tricky to defend it.

Now building laser towers and placing destroyer near critical junction makes a lot of sense.
Same with attack. Now instead of just jumping into core system, you have to first deal with defenses and work your way into core sectors.
When you will have 2 fleets you will no longer send both of them becaue you don't know if someone will stab you in the back and it would take a while for your fleet to response from other side of galaxy.

Couple that with RTS mode and voila you have really nice tacticool game.

Jumpdrives were kind of silly with how much they trivialized things. Good to hear they are gone.

Any hint of how the late game plays? Are there actual threats and things to do with large fleets? I didn't play the final X3 iteration but on the original you needed mods to have large scale race wars and real invasions, are those in the base game now?

Thane Solus

Arcane
IF you have medium rig like mine, wait a few months, this shit is unoptimized like hell (30-40 fps in busy docks, 50-60 in space) and when the shit starts (fleet batlles) probably is gona go to 20-30 at best....\

i7(2nd) , 1050TI, SSD, 8GB RAM, Win7-64

People with high end rigs, have no problems, medium rigs struggle to keep 60 FPS a lot...

Not suprised at all, but from what i see if the AI is not completly garbage (which kinda it is, just stay 5 mins in Argon Dock to check their pathfinding and col lel) this might turn into a good game.

Perkel

Arcane
Jumpdrives were kind of silly with how much they trivialized things. Good to hear they are gone.

Any hint of how the late game plays? Are there actual threats and things to do with large fleets? I didn't play the final X3 iteration but on the original you needed mods to have large scale race wars and real invasions, are those in the base game now?

No one knows how end game looks when game is out in last 24 hours :)

But yeah. Unlike all previous X games this time Egosoft aknowledges it exists and made a lot of changes to make sure kingdom part isn't left to moders.

RTS style camera
Superiors
Formations
Map which outright tells you quickly what is happening
Queueing orders
Behaviors where you can set up if ships run away etc.

Basically they took what modders did in X3 and then some.

As for invasions we don't know. But all factions now are completely dynamic, meaning that they can be wiped out and they do make wars and change sides.

People with high end rigs, have no problems, medium rigs struggle to keep 60 FPS a lot...

Not suprised at all, but from what i see if the AI is not completly garbage (which kinda it is, just stay 5 mins in Argon Dock to check their pathfinding and col lel) this might turn into a good game.

Most of slowdowns are caused by simulation or AI issues. You can easily see this when you switch on minitoring of your GPU and CPU.
In busy sectors where i can get 40-50fps my CPU use is 50% while GPU at 65%. Which means that there is either bottleneck in code they wrote or there is actually a bug that fills up part of gpu/cpu and rest of stuff need to wait for that part to finish stalling framerate.

I also saw it with UI when you use controler. If you use stick as emulated mouse in some weird cases FPS goes down to 10fps...
It is their first Vulcan engine so it is clear this are growing pains.

But hey, X:abortion run even worse. It had Dx9 engine lol.

Raapys

Arcane
I can't speak to the end-game yet, but from my time so far I've not seen any activity beyond some Xenon/Kha'ak scouts... Then again, stuff might be locked behind time/player/exploration progression.

I've seen exactly one capital military ship.

No one knows how end game looks when game is out in last 24 hours :)

But yeah. Unlike all previous X games this time Egosoft aknowledges it exists and made a lot of changes to make sure kingdom part isn't left to moders.

RTS style camera
Superiors
Formations
Map which outright tells you quickly what is happening
Queueing orders
Behaviors where you can set up if ships run away etc.

Basically they took what modders did in X3 and then some.

As for invasions we don't know. But all factions now are completely dynamic, meaning that they can be wiped out and they do make wars and change sides.

I figure someone has cheated themselves a billion credits and constructed some station complexes by now. Should be able to find out if something happens. But dynamic factions and wars sound good.

Good RTS-style controls should make it pretty enjoyable as long as there is something useful to actually do with big fleets.

Perkel

Arcane
Btw you can switch off trade stuff from map, in top right. Map then becomes much cleaner.

Mortmal

Arcane
I can't speak to the end-game yet, but from my time so far I've not seen any activity beyond some Xenon/Kha'ak scouts... Then again, stuff might be locked behind time/player/exploration progression.

I've seen exactly one capital military ship.
It's most likely exactly the same as in X3, as from what i am seeing so far is an improved X3 with a new coat of paint.Its good, it's really good to see egosoft back to its root, clunky buggy but deep pc gaming with no hand holding like they did before.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
can anyone give me like an overview of what these games are about? Some1 gifted me terran conflict a long time ago and I was like wtf is this. I think I remember crashing my ship into a wall immediately after undocking and then I uninstalled

Is it basically eve online but single player?

What are you supposed to do in the game?

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I managed to navigate my way back to the starting location. I am learnding!

BTW: How do I crash land on a planet? I've tried for hours. It is almost as though it is forever out of reach!
Can I crash into the Sun?

Is it possible to remove the ship from the HUD? I need maximum view space. I have been mixing F1 + F2 views, but would rather an F1 view without the ship blocking the lower screen. (found it, toggle cockpit in controls, I assigned it to shift-v)

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
can anyone give me like an overview of what these games are about? Some1 gifted me terran conflict a long time ago and I was like wtf is this. I think I remember crashing my ship into a wall immediately after undocking and then I uninstalled

Other way around. Eve Online is a multiplayer version of X.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

okay thanks for the clarification

BUT WHAT THE FUCK ARE U SUPPOSED TO DO IN THIS GAME

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Same as in EVE. Make money to build more fleets and factories to make more money.

There's also a campaign but it's mostly an incredibly detailed economic sim.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

I've just spent hours patrolling the first sector's barge and getting $10,000 for every small ship I kill and $500 for every civilian criminal killed. Just do whatever floats your boat. I play these games really loosely.

Jinn

Arcane
Not quite sure, but I think I stumbled on the main mission, or at least a unique side-mission.

Was short-range scanning around stations and factories in the starting sector when I found a signal from a Boron scientist who is imprisoned and forced to do research for weapons research by his captives. He is, however, more interested in perusing his own scientific interests, so he convinced me to be his exploration "partner." He led me to a space anomaly that warped me to a random spot in space. Now to explore!

Pretty cool. Loving the game, by the way. This shit is GOOOOOD! Glad to see it seems to be doing well in both fan reception and sales. Still number 3 on my steam global top-seller list.

Jinn

Arcane
Does anyone know how to complete a delivery mission? For instance, I got a mission to deliver 2 unstable crystals to a shady character, but when I approach the medical station the mission marker is centered on and land, the marker disappears and I can't find any options on the station to turn in the crystals/finish the mission.

ZeniBot

Cipher
I'm also wondering if there's a faster way to search star sectors, as I can't find shit at the moment. I would like to find a nearby Teladi equipment dock but I'd have to comb the entire sector. Man we ain't found Shiet. In x3 it was easy because you just had to equip a good sensor and you could see most of the sector when you spawned.

cw8

Cipher
Anyone got screenshots on Capital ships, big military ships - the M6, M1, M2s in general?

Are there M2s in the game? I bought X4 off GOG yesterday. Waiting to finish Pathfinder Kingmaker before I jump in. Gonna miss the Split Tiger, one of my fav semi-cap ships.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom