Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X4: Foundations - Mount and Blade with space-ships. Now with significant Beta update

Psquit

Arcane
Last question, if want to get into x3 which version should i play? Reunion or terran conflict...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think the opposite, the x4 universe is more living but the x3 universe is prettier and maybe more immersive. I fucking hate the highway ring in x4 and the duality of all factions. Performance is great considering the scale of the simulation.

The scale of the simulation is smaller than X2 and much, much smaller than X3...

It's the Stillbirth engine that can't handle it, the old one did fine.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I think the opposite, the x4 universe is more living but the x3 universe is prettier and maybe more immersive. I fucking hate the highway ring in x4 and the duality of all factions. Performance is great considering the scale of the simulation.

The scale of the simulation is smaller than X2 and much, much smaller than X3...

The universe is smaller in x4 but there's much more to simulate.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

The universe is smaller in x4 but there's much more to simulate.

There are fewer ships, fewer sectors and fewer factories, what's more exactly?

There's less stuff, it's just done in a less efficient way, thus needing far more processing power.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Every ship is simulated OOS, running their errands, mining, trading, patrolling sectors, etc. X3 gives you a pretty presentation but little what you do actually matters. Destroy an ostensibly important factory? Doesn't do anything. In X4 that causes a real shortage that can lower the combat power of a faction. Destroy a miner before it offloads minerals? That actually affects things in X4.

Perkel

Arcane
Last question, if want to get into x3 which version should i play? Reunion or terran conflict...

Albion Prelude and use Litecube mod.

Litecube fixed shitload of problems with vanilla X3 series games. For an example without Litecube you can build fleet of 100 small ships and when you move them suddenly they start to hit each other and kill themselves this way as AI can't handle fleet logic.

Also as new guy you really should start with X4 not with X3. There are many things completely arcane for newb in X3 that can easily take you away from game. For example whole game REQUIRES you to use SETA aka time speed up without it, it is pretty much unplayable.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Every ship is simulated OOS, running their errands, mining, trading, patrolling sectors, etc. X3 gives you a pretty presentation but little what you do actually matters. Destroy an ostensibly important factory? Doesn't do anything. In X4 that causes a real shortage that can lower the combat power of a faction. Destroy a miner before it offloads minerals? That actually affects things in X4.

Nope.

All that happens in X3 too. It just takes more than a single factory to really affect their supplies because the factions are big and complex. In X4 it's WITNESS MY MIGHTY STAR EMPIRE WITH 3 (THREE) SECTORS and 1 SHIPYARD!!!

And, as I posted earlier, the Xenons cheat (in X4). They still build stations without any supplies actually reaching them. You can test this easily for yourself by blocking off a system.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Oh noes, X requires SETA, a core feature of the series, to be fun? EGADS!

Baldur's Gate is also a shit game because it REQUIRES you to use the character sheet. It is pretty much unplayable without spending attribute points.

Perkel

Arcane

Baldur's Gate is also a shit game because it REQUIRES you to use the character sheet. It is pretty much unplayable without spending attribute points.

My point is that if you don't know what SETA is going into game then how do you think he will play game ? By waiting in his ship 30 minutes to reach from point A to B in same sector. I literally bounced from X3 because of that. It was later on that some dude shoed me that you need to use SETA and then it clicked.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

Nope.

All that happens in X3 too. It just takes more than a single factory to really affect their supplies because the factions are big and complex. In X4 it's WITNESS MY MIGHTY STAR EMPIRE WITH 3 (THREE) SECTORS and 1 SHIPYARD!!!

And, as I posted earlier, the Xenons cheat (in X4). They still build stations without any supplies actually reaching them. You can test this easily for yourself by blocking off a system.
You may have 3 sectors and 1 shipyard but you need a mining fleet venturing out and bringing in minerals for that to count, or traders bringing in missing products. And I highly doubt what you said regarding x3, supplies being affected, and factions being complex. I'd be really pleasantly surprised if that were true. In X4 xenons do cheat, but the main factions do not.

My point is that if you don't know what SETA is going into game then how do you think he will play game ? By waiting in his ship 30 minutes to reach from point A to B in same sector. I literally bounced from X3 because of that. It was later on that some dude shoed me that you need to use SETA and then it clicked.
SETA drive should just come by default in every ship.

cw8

Cipher
Just forced myself to complete the very mediocre Starpoint Gemini 3 few days ago, not sure how they went from Warlords to SG3. But now with the Boron expansion, I should be ready to jump back into X4 for a new campaign.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Makes me kek that Egosoft magically found a way to bring back the Boron. Too bad all of us collector edition buyers* are shafted on the new DLC. I still hate X4 for redesigning the aliens, especially the Teladi. They were like, Jewish space kobolds in the first games. Now they're hideous.

*Got it off a keyseller site for cheap. :smug:

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Played for a few days, cool sense of scale in docks even looking at the size of M class lads, but besides that seems like stunted x3 with less going on, sectors seem emptier or scale is larger (?been years) and highway looks like derpy carpet across system mechanically it may be interesting to plop factories alongside it, mission are even worse than before since you have to walk out of cockpit and go trough same boring animations and same elevatore textures over and over.

Playable but inferior to its predecessor.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i might finally play it since i can probably run it at a decent framerate at medium-high settings now, i have a gpu that can take advantage of the vulkan renderer, although i remember the balance being fucked up, making the game either trivially easy or way too hard in certain aspects

i remember hoarding a ton of money from these stupidly easy quests

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Making absurd amounts of money is trivially easy in this game. In previous games it took many many hours before you could scrounge up enough for a second ship, but then it got easier.

X4 just throws free ships at you (and the PHQ almost immediately at the start lol)

Perkel

Arcane
Making absurd amounts of money is trivially easy in this game. In previous games it took many many hours before you could scrounge up enough for a second ship, but then it got easier.

X4 just throws free ships at you (and the PHQ almost immediately at the start lol)

What are you talking about. X3 vanilla is pretty easy with money and it is not hard to buy new ship. Unless you are talking about auto trader MK3. PHQ by itself is useless and it takes normal amount of money to build anything just like you would build any other station.

If anything crafting and crystals are imho broken when it comes to early money.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

Oh god. So you were too retarded to figure out a basic, basic-ass concept of the game and THAT's why you stopped playing instead of git'n gud? :lol:

I mean it's not like there's an annoying, unskippable tutorial.

Or an in-game encyclopedia.

Or a wiki.

No wonder you've been shilling all the Stillbirth, wannabe Freelancer decline bullshit since the start of the thread. It's all you know. You remind me of those millennials always defending the worst brands in the world, like Apple, because they don't know a world where you could just buy a new phone battery for $20.

Nope.

You may have 3 sectors and 1 shipyard but you need a mining fleet venturing out and bringing in minerals for that to count, or traders bringing in missing products. And I highly doubt what you said regarding x3, supplies being affected, and factions being complex. I'd be really pleasantly surprised if that were true. In X4 xenons do cheat, but the main factions do not.

Mining ships suck balls. Asteroid mines were way better and made more sense. Especially after recent nerfs where only superstar ace pilots are of any use.

Another rocket surgeon who hasn't played the previous games arguing about basic mechanics.

Yes, X3 had plenty of missing products. A "real" economy has been a defining feature of the series since the first game. It didn't affect shipyards specifically because their only resource was money. You might argue that it's more realistic to have to haul 7 bazillion Field Coils for every little turret but the prefab station system was definitely better than this plot, layout, hire builder nonsense. Ultraplexes with a series of tubes worked out much better. Especially when combined with aforementioned mining asteroids.

And yes, the factions constantly fought each other in X3 (and they all existed without any DLC), but I'll grant that the interactions are more fleshed out in X4. Doesn't mean much with the tiny universe though.

SETA drive should just come by default in every ship.

It should. And in X4 it does. But so should docking computers mk2 holy shit.

Played for a few days, cool sense of scale in docks even looking at the size of M class lads, but besides that seems like stunted x3 with less going on, sectors seem emptier or scale is larger (?been years) and highway looks like derpy carpet across system mechanically it may be interesting to plop factories alongside it, mission are even worse than before since you have to walk out of cockpit and go trough same boring animations and same elevatore textures over and over.

Playable but inferior to its predecessor.

Spot-on assessment. Except I'd say "stunted X3 with less going on with graphical and interface upgrade"

What are you talking about. X3 vanilla is pretty easy with money and it is not hard to buy new ship. Unless you are talking about auto trader MK3. PHQ by itself is useless and it takes normal amount of money to build anything just like you would build any other station.

If anything crafting and crystals are imho broken when it comes to early money.

It became easier in X3 once they added missions. I think it came with TC and was then back-ported to vanilla X3. They also buffed the stock market (another feature completely absent from X4) to make it easier to profit. But even that is nothing compared to the free ship fountain in X4.

The PHQ is supposed to be "the crown jewel of your trading empire", as Egosoft themselves called it in the patch notes. A gift to the player who has everything. Now it's a gift to basic bitch noobs who cannot into anything.

It's definitely not "useless" in X4, it's by far the most powerful weapon in the game.

Perkel

Arcane
And I highly doubt what you said regarding x3, supplies being affected, and factions being complex. I'd be really pleasantly surprised if that were true. In X4 xenons do cheat, but the main factions do not.

I doubt he even played vanilla game to begin with. It gets more and more obvious with every post. X3 factions didn't have any economy going on, everything was mostly fake, only mods later added some faction dynamics like X-tended overhaul or Litecube.

X4 factions also do cheat a little. They have modifier for their economy so that faction that is close to death gets extra production % so faction close to fail can still recover.

Perkel

Arcane
I wanna play X3 because I never really got into it, which one is the best?

X3 AP with Litecube overhaul. Don't play vanilla. It's dogshit almost unplayable. Litecube is also retard free so no fiddling with other mods everything you need is included etc.

There is also X-tended 2.0 but that requires a lot of fiddling to run. It is superior experience to Litecube but for new player like you, you should go for Litecube. The "superior" experience only makes sense when you played a lot vanilla/litecube.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Isn't litecube a mod for experienced players?

Nope, Litecube is easier to get into game than Vanilla by wide margin.
It's certainly loaded with QOL stuff but I meant more about those new expanding factions that put you on a timer? Maybe I'm misremembering the mechanics, it's been years.
Btw, here's your thread about the mod
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/litecube-universe-x3-albion-prelude-overhaul-mod.122581/
Looks like their wiki is down :(
https://web.archive.org/web/20201112035231/http://litcube.xtimelines.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Perkel

Arcane
It's certainly loaded with QOL stuff but I meant more about those new expanding factions that put you on a timer? Maybe I'm misremembering the mechanics, it's been years.
Btw, here's your thread about the mod
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/litecube-universe-x3-albion-prelude-overhaul-mod.122581/
Looks like their wiki is down :(
https://web.archive.org/web/20201112035231/http://litcube.xtimelines.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Litecube introduces dynamic faction war as well as mentioned by your expansion of a thing. But this is literally late game stuff by which point you won't be noob anymore. We are talking here 100s of hours not 10.

Vanilla X3 is completely static.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom