Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Jrpgfan

Erudite
So, I was progressing really well on my ironman/commander playthrough, until I got my first mission with archon. And it was time attack(8 turns to complete).

Long story short: went straight for the transmissor, revealed 2 pods, one with 3 officers and when I got close another one to my right with 1 archon and 2 vipers. Had to go around the map to kill the archon without activating both pods, which left me with very little time left to acomplish the mission. Rushed a little, managed to kill the second pod with the 3 officers(so far no casualties). Got careless and rushed again to destroy the transmissor and activated a pod with another archon and 2 vipers behind the transmissor. Didn't go so well this time - I lost a couple soldiers, got mad and tried to kill them instead of evacuating and ended getting fucked in the butt.

Lesson taken: never rush a time attack mission, don't be fooled by the mission difficult on the description(it was described as moderate) and never hesitate to evac when you think things are gonna get ugly.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeap evacuating when you feel you're really in deep shit is an option. Better lose just the mission than both the mission and your troops

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The bigger problem is that once some enemies see you then all enemies see you even if they are on the other side of the map.

Uh, no they don't. They probably patrolled into sight or you used a Gremlin which activates pods from stupid ranges for some reason. I just raped a Gatekeeper pod with shit exploding everywhere for 3 turns while another Gatekeeper pod 10 tiles away jerked off.

Is there a mod that removes Bradford from speaking at all yet? Fucking hell is he annoying and worthless.

Sorry for my miss-communication but I'm talking about concealment and the field of view.

Problem 1: You have two groups of enemies which are close one to the other. You shoot some enemy, you exit concealment: the visible group will rush you and the not-visible group will simply wait to enter your field of view even if they are basically around the same position.

It means that the enemies actions are controlled/triggered by your field of view.

Problem 2: When you are out of concealment, some enemies are dropped on the map - they automatically know where you are even if you are situated on the other end of the map.

It means that the game doesn't implement a proper field of view and is equivalent to say that the AI is wall-hacking.

I don't know about you but I find these things very disappointing.

Edit: The field of view is basically the most important thing from a tactical point of view. This is my first XCOM, was it the same before?

If you ask about the first firaxis XCOM then the answer is "YES" - the system was exactly the same afaik (so things like one activated alien can see one of your troopers = all activated aliens know the position of all your troops and the things you mention were all there in XCOM 1). And yes it is a poor choice on devs part. Gamey and abstraction is one thing, going lazy in design is another. Still XCOM1+long war is a good game and XCOM2 so far is better than vanilla part 1 so im not complaining too much.
If you ask about the original games then no.

Mazisky

Magister
I wonder how will be the game when all expansions\dlc\big mods are released. I guess it will be huge and lot better of EW

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fighting two pods at once is actually no problem at all with the right setup. Having two psions per example makes this a cakewalk.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I would like to point out something that annoys the fuck out of me in this game: that fucking guy in the central. It is especially annoying when he pops out to warn me the civilians are being killed everytime one is killed by the aliens. I really, really wish I could turn that off(or kill the motherfucker which would be incredibly satisfying).

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I would like to point out something that annoys the fuck out of me in this game: that fucking guy in the central. It is especially annoying when he pops out to warn me the civilians are being killed everytime one is killed by the aliens. I really, really wish I could turn that off(or kill the motherfucker which would be incredibly satisfying).

Yeah, he's annoying.
I find myself muttering "I know Bradford, I'm working on it...fucking idjit" whenever he pops up to tell me what I already know.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, he's annoying.
I find myself muttering "I know Bradford, I'm working on it...fucking idjit" whenever he pops up to tell me what I already know.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=621358553&searchtext= is for you then

ArchAngel

Arcane
Either that or the fact that the simulationist arguments they do propose are flat out wrong.

It's already been explained why you start in concealment even though they know about Firebrand (Demon's Crest reference?)

Now people are complaining about how 'unrealistic' it is that you lose all concealment once you engage one pod, as if aliens were somehow incapable of using radios, head-sets or bluetooth.

So the gamist explanation is that the game is not balanced* for your 4 guys to fight 10 aliens at once. Especially not on higher difficulties. Which is why trying to get cute with stealth usually backfires spectacularly. You are meant to fight one pod at a time, and you are given all sorts of tools to make sure this happens (phantom, scanners etc). But it's not uncommon for you to end up revealing another pod, either because you went for a flank, or the 2nd pod patrolled in, attracted by noise (I haven't seen any code though)

*It would require rebalancing the game towards just trying to minimize losses, hitting the objective and extracting.
So far in my experience they don't react to noise. They react to sight and to hidden triggers like your guys seeing the objective while in concealment.

I was able to fight one pod full scale with explosives while another was standing a few squares out of sight.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Yeah, he's annoying.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=621358553&searchtext= is for you then

Thank you, good sir.

I would brofist you but apparenly I'm now allowed yet.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Finished the game
I can't believe firaxis turned the player character in xcom (an already ludcrous concept) into fucking goku. Including ending the game with a kamehameha against ghost ethereals :D

Lerk

Learned
B9443AD7ED59F9CEF37175802B94C96DE655D983

Lerk

Learned
Hmmm. I dunno, it was a standard option. I have the resistance & reinforcement thingies though, don't know if that's a factor. Utterly ashamed I overlooked his nationality, obvious Lem wasn't 'murican. Probably spinning in his grave. Waiting for an Iron Cross accessory mod :thumbsup:

Actually...a WW2 mod would be amazing. If I had the talent and time I'd have a go at raping rebooting Silent Storm in this engine...

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
The bigger problem is that once some enemies see you then all enemies see you even if they are on the other side of the map.

Uh, no they don't. They probably patrolled into sight or you used a Gremlin which activates pods from stupid ranges for some reason. I just raped a Gatekeeper pod with shit exploding everywhere for 3 turns while another Gatekeeper pod 10 tiles away jerked off.

Is there a mod that removes Bradford from speaking at all yet? Fucking hell is he annoying and worthless.

Squad gets eaten by Chrysalids, Bradford announces we should get started with saving civvies. Thanks Brad.

I noticed one of the surround settings filters out the dialog while keeping the rest of the audio intact, so im using that right now, otherwise i might punch my monitor at some point.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Personally, I love having command chewing me out all the time. Particularly when it's about something I have no control over. Gives me cop movie vibes when the captain is yelling at the loose cannon who's just doing his job the only way he knows how.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm mid game and I just finished an capture the hostile VIP mission with 12 turns. Enemies: 2 AVATARS, 3 Codexes and some Mutons + fodder Advent. I think I spent 2 hours in this mission alone.

At the end I had to destroy a wall with a grenade otherwise my guy carrying the VIP wouldn't reach the rescue zone. That's how close it was. Absolutely bonkers.

Another thing, I had to save scum until the Avatars teleported somewhere I could hit them. And when that didn't work I had to move my characters around the map in such a way that the Avatars would teleport towards the center of the map.

I have no idea how I finished this mission and I have no idea if someone could finish this on Ironmode. Personally I will never play this game on Ironmode. It's stupid. You simply cannot foreseen this kind of shit when you have missions like this.

And I'm mid game. I did not even meet an Adromedron yet. What the hell happened.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Yeah, he's annoying.

Thank you, good sir.

I would brofist you but apparenly I'm now allowed yet.
You can even go further and remove all the crap with "the stop wasting my time" mod :
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=620600092

Moink

Cipher
Who thought it was a good idea to put endless spawning enemies at the end? The last thing I saw before it crashed my game was about 5 mutons, 6 or 7 snakes, 2 mech things, 2 avatars and a bunch of codex's all sitting in one spot.

Zeriel

Arcane
I wonder how will be the game when all expansions\dlc\big mods are released. I guess it will be huge and lot better of EW

The modding capability is nuts. I've glanced at it in passing, the only limit to what you can do is like... uh... well, it's the Unreal graphics engine? That's about the limit. You can't change the core engine, but everything else (the entire geoscape, tactical combat) is up for grabs. We just need to get lucky to have some motivated professional quality modders who are familiar with Unreal, and this could be reshaped into something very special.

Personally, I'm hoping someone brings back interception minigame, even if it was just a straight port of the solution they had for XCOM 1. Sure it wasn't fun or particularly interesting, but it's one of those pillars that is so core to the series that it just feels wrong to me to play an XCOM game that doesn't have researching or building interceptors. I feel the same way about them getting rid of interrogations. Shit feels wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom