Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Moink

Cipher
Ayyyyy, Alien Status: Removed.

01a83568c2.jpg

So, is ironman commander doable ?

Wouldn't recommend Ironman due to amount of bugs and other weird shit that happens.

J1M

Arcane
Would have preferred an option to pick starting location. I suppose that is in the .ini file somewhere but I can't see myself playing this again.

Thane Solus

Arcane
i am done with it, i bought on day 1 like a moron(after 4 years of not doing day 1 purchases), but while the game is fun, even ignoring performance and other issues, beeing shot through walls pisses me off, yes i can do it too, but not like this... Some officer again shot my guy through 2-3 walls from above, without destroying them and killed my guy while he has in hard cover. While is trolol, this is xcom, i am sick of this shit, same problem as the first one. They toke months to fix this. Lots of potential, but it will take ages to fix everything and by then you can buy it at -50 or 75% and have fun. As for mods while they are nice, with the performance problems and bugs in their mods, you mostly break your game, some are nice, but you need to test them to see what they break, since most of them break something, cause nobody really tests them for real. So its gona be cool in 6-12 months, yay.

In conclusion, never ever buy AAA for big companies on day 1, wait 6-12 months for sale and be sure is patched, check forums, no gaming press sites or youtubers.

Shame on me.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Would have preferred an option to pick starting location. I suppose that is in the .ini file somewhere but I can't see myself playing this again.
Not much point. The bonuses on each continent seem to be randomly generated.

Zeriel

Arcane
So, is ironman commander doable ?
No, if you don't accept starting multiple times.
If you want to start multiple times then 15 to 30 attempts should be doable.

Even Legend can be beaten consistently.

He probably means for learning it.

Some people are really unlucky though. There's not much to be done sometimes if you are the 1% of players who consistently gets guys crit through full cover in the first mission.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who thought it was a good idea to put endless spawning enemies at the end? The last thing I saw before it crashed my game was about 5 mutons, 6 or 7 snakes, 2 mech things, 2 avatars and a bunch of codex's all sitting in one spot.

Yeah, its a horrible design decision. There should have been a hard cap.
Why is that? You are supposed to dispose of them before reaching this point. It could be counted as a soft win condition.
Now, performance wise, I agree it is horrible, but I had a great time sneaking my two rangers there for my snipers to destroy the relay.

Moink

Cipher
Who thought it was a good idea to put endless spawning enemies at the end? The last thing I saw before it crashed my game was about 5 mutons, 6 or 7 snakes, 2 mech things, 2 avatars and a bunch of codex's all sitting in one spot.

Why is that? You are supposed to dispose of them before reaching this point. It could be counted as a soft win condition.
Now, performance wise, I agree it is horrible, but I had a great time sneaking my two rangers there for my snipers to destroy the relay.

I'm talking about the attack on alien base, not the Max Headroom TV hacking mission.

My fps was in the single digits at the end of it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

He's not talking about the assault on the TV station. That mission was actually pretty neat.
He's talking about the undersea alien base, which ended up being a low performance bug fest.
It was fine until the last room with the Avatars. Then everything went to shit.

Mazisky

Magister
Please someone answer:negative:
Do supply drops disappear after some time?

Do you mean in Geoscape? Of course they do
Do you know after how many days? I'm conflicted between contacting some resistance that leads to a advent facility(since my bars are full bar one) or getting the supplies first

Sorry bro i don't remember...if u re close to Avatar finishing is better to reach the facility, but remember that story missions also helps with bar

Mazisky

Magister
I wonder how will be the game when all expansions\dlc\big mods are released. I guess it will be huge and lot better of EW

The modding capability is nuts. I've glanced at it in passing, the only limit to what you can do is like... uh... well, it's the Unreal graphics engine? That's about the limit. You can't change the core engine, but everything else (the entire geoscape, tactical combat) is up for grabs. We just need to get lucky to have some motivated professional quality modders who are familiar with Unreal, and this could be reshaped into something very special.

Personally, I'm hoping someone brings back interception minigame, even if it was just a straight port of the solution they had for XCOM 1. Sure it wasn't fun or particularly interesting, but it's one of those pillars that is so core to the series that it just feels wrong to me to play an XCOM game that doesn't have researching or building interceptors. I feel the same way about them getting rid of interrogations. Shit feels wrong.

Do you think we'll get a full expansion (dlc a part)? i guess it depends on sales

Disgruntled

Savant
Well, 66 hours later and ive finished the game. Got really deep in my last ironman commander campaign and said fuck it by altf4ing any horrible turns. It would have been nice to do it legit but I dont have the patience to fail 30 hour+ campaigns and start anew.

Overall the experience was pretty exciting although it got stale towards the finish. I think the tactics felt a little too methodic and the mission variety didnt matter once you got in the groove.
Its basically find the pod, soften it with an explosive, finish it with the rest of the squad, move on to the next. Always making sure you start the engagement with every soldier able to make an action. Deviate from this routine and chances are you are totally screwed or scrape away with heavy casualties.
The objectives become a token point and not very memorable, unlike say the train mission in EU/EW where you really needed to execute every move right to win and not lose people.
Timers werent even an issue once you have a good team setup, just have to run both actions at the start and you're gold. The vip extraction in early game gave me some grief cause they'd drop reinforcements right before you reach LZ, but the rest were standard.

Geoscape was a welcome change to the country counter, always something new popping up and decisions to make regarding current needs. On the negative side it failed to convey a cohesive sense of the world, you sort of fly place to place not thinking about the greater story going on.
Avatar progress was alarming in the beginning, until you learn its not the end of the world with a quick raid on a blacksite or pop into the main questline (which I delayed completing till there was little else to do).

The real highlight was upgrading everything. The game is great at feeding you cool little rewards constantly, a neat skill, weapon, armor, grenade, attachment, perk, pcs, proving ground etc... id only argue they should have stretched it out a little more instead of piling on tier 2 by the 2nd month and leaving it a bit thin towards the last few missions.

Graphics, stability and environments were good on my high end machine. All I got in bothersome bugs was chrysalids taking too long and a pathing issue on the second last mission which needed a save&exit.
Advent cities could have used less monotonous style, I still preferred the older looking towns and wilderness.

Xcom2 has really consumed my week and I come away well satisfied despite some gripes. There is easily more depth under the skin of this game and Im looking forward to the overhaul mods and dlcs to bring it out.
Some refined battle tactics (to break the predictable pod extermination), random skill progression, geoscape wars and mechs are just a few that would rush me back into a replay.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I on the other hand lost again my Commander Ironman campaign. Again. Drink a bit of coffee and start anew.
If in XCOM3 the aliens have not only taken over Earth but also raped all our women and have 3 bases in the Moon or something, blame me. I'm the one that's losing :mixedemotions:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom