Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware "Yasumi Matsuno may or may not be surprised his new game is being released" Unsung Story thread

Viata

Arcane
What happened with November and December Update?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What happened with November and December Update?

No one posted them.

UPDATE #97
November Update - Crunch Crunch
8e88d5827cbbf037144622c8f7c9ff8f_original.jpg

Little OrbitCreator
November 1, 2019

Dear Backers,

I'm currently in Europe for an event and business meetings, so I had to sneak away to get this update posted. Once again this is going to be a shorter update this month.

Unfortunately we hit an unexpected hurdle in October that created another month of crunch time on the other title we are finishing. For those that follow Little Orbit and GamersFirst, you can likely guess what we're working on. Ultimately I understand that this site is devoted to Unsung Story, so I wont share all the gory details here, except to say that it's a significant upgrade that was started years ago by another developer in a massive codebase that we inherited. It's not quite launched, so I can't absolutely stay we're greenlit to move back onto Unsung, but it feels very close.

On behalf of the entire team, we appreciate your patience and support.

I'll be back next month for another (hopefully longer) update.

Sincerely, Matthew Scott

UPDATE #98
December Update - Back into development
8e88d5827cbbf037144622c8f7c9ff8f_original.jpg

Little OrbitCreator
December 1, 2019

Dear Backers,

We finally got far enough ahead to transition some members of the Unsung Story team back into development this month. With the late Thanksgiving this year, November ended up being 1 week shorter for the team, but we did get a full week before the break to jump back in.

To kick things off we did a full review of progress from where we left off with a focus on the Chapter 1 MVP.

The initial roadmap for the next couple months includes:

• Finish implementing all the environment art for Levels 1 - 7. This involves swapping out elements of our whitebox levels to transfer gameplay functionality to the finished art versions.
  • UI review to identify and prioritize the design and implementation of the remaining screens such as Main Menu, Main Map, Chapter Map, Character Details, Equipment Management, Victory Screen, Vendor Menu, Options Menu, Party Management, Unit Customization, Job Selection/Review, Unit Recruitment
  • Design review to identify and prioritize the few remaining systems we need to finish such as Equipment/Itemization, Unit Recruitment including random generation of stats/appearance, Cosmetic/appearance unlocks, Job progression/unlocks, Artifact (lore) items, and Skill mastery details.
  • Engineering review to breakdown the existing systems and schedule resources to implement the design deliverables for new systems so designers can load the game data.
  • Technical art review to go over skyboxes, weather/time of day, camera occlusion, vfx, animation, unit item socket system for weapons, and post processing.
  • Art review to identify missing Player unit models, Story character models, creature models, vendor models, icons, etc.
  • Story review for cutscenes and dialog.
NOTE: It looks like we accidentally included the Sharpshooter in our original MVP scope, but that job is a bit too far down the job tree. Some adjustments will be made.

I also want to acknowledge some of backer comments about Industry Crunch. Little Orbit does try to avoid longer working hours where ever possible. Many of my employees have been with us for more than 10 years, and I think of them as extended family. For this month, we were able to scale back to regular hours for the bulk of the team.

Everyone has expressed their excitement to be back and even some frustration with the short amount of time to work on Unsung during November. But on behalf of the entire team, we appreciate your patience and support, and I hope all the backers got a nice holiday break.

I'll be back next month for another update.

Sincerely, Matthew Scott

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder which kickstarter project was worse: this or That which sleeps.

The people who backed this project might get a game in the same genre (SRPG) as the one they've backed (even if it looks and plays nothing like the backed project), whereas those who backed That which sleeps will get nothing.

Delterius

Arcane

The people who backed this project might get a game in the same genre (SRPG) as the one they've backed (even if it looks and plays nothing like the backed project), whereas those who backed That which sleeps will get nothing.
A dignified death is better than this.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

A dignified death is better than this.
There wasn't anything dignified with TWS tho. :argh:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This game might not turn out good but props to this dev/publisher for trying their hardest to salvage this

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Ever since John Romero, It seems to be the case whenever a "celebrity" developer tries to make their dream game (Iga, the mega man guy, Tim Schafer, etc) you quickly realize they were utterly dependent on solid veteran coders doing the gruntwork. Without that support staff their vision doesn't mean shit.

GXnuxPJ.jpg
A quick perusal of the credits listed for Daikatana on Mobygames seems to indicate otherwise, even if the team wasn't quite as experienced as could be hoped for. :M

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I still can't believe this is actually being made. It's a monkey's paw wish, though. The end result is certainly going to resemble nothing whatsoever of what backers came to expect from the pitch. Still, at least they're getting a game, so that's something I guess.

thesecret1

Arcane
Ever since John Romero, It seems to be the case whenever a "celebrity" developer tries to make their dream game (Iga, the mega man guy, Tim Schafer, etc) you quickly realize they were utterly dependent on solid veteran coders doing the gruntwork. Without that support staff their vision doesn't mean shit.
It's almost like being an ideas guy is easier than actually making the goddamn thing.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

GXnuxPJ.jpg
A quick perusal of the credits listed for Daikatana on Mobygames seems to indicate otherwise, even if the team wasn't quite as experienced as could be hoped for. :M
From glancing at the programming gigs, a lot of their first "serious" game was indeed Daikatana, before that was kids shovelware mostly. Barring the lead programmer, who programmed for Doom, Wolf 3D and Doom II. I can understand the hyperbole used here, though.

And quickly glancing at the rest of the staff, the same can be said for artists and such.

Viata

Arcane
Well, only dumb people thinks a game is going to turn out great just because there is that one guy that worked in a great game in his past.
*look at all shit games that codex backed because of a single guy instead of the original team*
Oh well... :negative:

Pearass

Educated

Thanks for posting this CryptRat!

I am honestly shocked that this game has even reached this stage. It's definitely not what I expected, but I'm glad that at the very least an attempt is being made. I'm doubtful that it will be good, but stranger things have happened. Best of luck to Little Orbit!

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It actually looks... kinda good. Even if the animations are basic right now, the models and art style look way better than the early concept art that looked like clash of clans mobile shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom