Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your test site sucks

Do you zoom in when reading the Codex?

• Yes, I usually or regularly zoom in (increasing the font size) in order to read the Codex.

Votes: 82 26.9%
  • On the odd occasion, I have had to zoom in. Maybe on a particular device.

Votes: 37 12.1%
  • No. Never.

Votes: 148 48.5%
  • Bitch, I zoom out.

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • Oh Comrade of Kings, lament not our sins.

Votes: 17 5.6%

• Total voters

Wunderbar

Arcane
XZOcY7P.png

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The new site looks like something "designed" by cheap outsourced laborers at $1 hourly rates. It has this terrible "kids' mobile game" vibe, it's a total joke really for such a prestigious forum.

Well, everything is wrong with it, I don't even know where to start. The only good thing is that the colourscheme looks familiar, but that's about it.

The menu font is incredibly ugly, and generally the fonts are too big. The use of space is terrible on all pages. I can't stand the CSS transitions, please get rid of them. I could go on all day but won't, looking at it for two minutes made me depressed enough already.

Seriously, just keep the current design and don't fuck around with it at all, or only make minimal incremental changes, as little or possible, if you can't afford to hire a proper designer.

I generally don't like the "nu-web" look, but it can be made look well. This is someone trying to copy the "nu-web" look, and failing spectacularly.

wasted a couple of hours with firefox's devtools desperately trying to make the new xenforo 2 skin look like the old one:

8swbxh.png

my brain shuts down the instant it sees a css file and i've never worked with xenforo before, but i got vaguely close anyways, so i really can't come up with a reason (other than pure laziness) not to add an optional codex classic® theme for luddites like me who throw a tantrum every time they see a website that wasn't last updated during the dubya administration. now for some good old fashioned nitpicking:
  • that cubano font looks godawful, it gives me dollar store fortnite vibes
  • the sticky navbar is obnoxious, but the profile boxes being sticky too is even worse
  • give me tahoma or give me death
  • font sizes should be decreased by 2px and there's too much padding everywhere. the spacing between individual posts is particularly bad
  • the profile boxes in particular are way too wide and i'm not big on profile stats getting funneled into those tiny little boxes at the bottom
  • not every corner needs to be rounded
  • why is there a fucking social media share bar in every thread
  • why is the new site background even blurrier
  • color scheme is a little too saturated and the light blue fonts could be brightened a little. it doesn't feel very codexian to me since i'm so used to the old one
  • i miss posts having alternating background colors
  • it's harder to tell if a thread is stickied now
  • different subforums/forum categories having their own icons would be cool
  • lots of missing/weirdly implemented features (reactions are all gone, the shoutbox is too cluttered, i think the old thread tags are missing, animated pfps don't work, nametags and profile badges are gone, i can't click on the troll logo to change it anymore, ignore lists are apparently gone, the donation shill page is weird now, everything is weird now and i hate it)
tl;dr it's different so it sucks. i don't think it's ready for primetime yet and i will continue to throw rocks at australian people until the situation improves

:shredder:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The people who actually like the Codex's current font size are fucking crazy. This is the only site on the internet where I have to zoom in to comfortably read the words. Even on the new site it looks better zoomed in at 20%.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
and it's missing a fair bit of functionality; there are presently no more youtube, twitter, or facebook embeds and I'm uncertain if the webm function remained.
There's a hitlist of features we're working through. Some of the Codex has custom built things which need other people to bring them up to date. Other bits are just beyond me from a technical capacity so take me longer to resolve. Mods we can get to carry over what we can, we're working through, but EG it's taken 6 hours so far to process the post ratings upgrade mod and it's still going.

Yes, I should've found the command line upgrade option first instead of doing it via the browser but YOLO.

Also, there is a heavy and heated battle in the admin forum between small fonters and big fonters.

Don't like it, looks like everything else on the internet, and it's way too big. Just have to ask why? Is it some kind of pet project, or a serious thing?
The Codex is serious business run by team of highly paid professionals.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The people who actually like the Codex's current font size are fucking crazy. This is the only site on the internet where I have to zoom in to comfortably read the words. Even on the new site it looks better zoomed in at 20%.

Yeah, that's one of the few problems with the current design. I'm viewing the current codex at 120%/133% magnification. But some of the fonts in the new design are too big still.

Humbaba

Arcane
and it's missing a fair bit of functionality; there are presently no more youtube, twitter, or facebook embeds and I'm uncertain if the webm function remained.
There's a hitlist of features we're working through. Some of the Codex has custom built things which need other people to bring them up to date. Other bits are just beyond me from a technical capacity so take me longer to resolve. Mods we can get to carry over what we can, we're working through, but EG it's taken 6 hours so far to process the post ratings upgrade mod and it's still going.

Yes, I should've found the command line upgrade option first instead of doing it via the browser but YOLO.

Also, there is a heavy and heated battle in the admin forum between small fonters and big fonters.

Don't like it, looks like everything else on the internet, and it's way too big. Just have to ask why? Is it some kind of pet project, or a serious thing?
The Codex is serious business run by team of highly paid professionals.

Whatever you do, get rid of the facebook updoot counter below the profiles, it's gay. Have it be a character sheet instead.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The current 13px size seems fine to me, but my monitor is running at an output that measures 108 DPI.
If you're running a 4K display at 24/27 inches though, I can imagine the font being too small.

Might be worth styling the new site's elements' fonts using 'rem' units instead of px.
Would make it easy to override at the root level with one line of CSS to placate both camps.

Absinthe

Arcane
I beg to differ. The Codex could actually do with a smaller font size. Makes it easier to read more in a single glance. Large fonts and line-spacing are legit eye cancer designed for people who either need glasses or never mastered basic literacy and as such are intimidated by any density of text. Big fonts and empty spaces is mostly catering to low IQ morons, who have difficulty processing text and visuals. Zooming in is always an option for those with reading difficulties anyway. I see no reason why the rest of us should be made miserable just to accommodate them.

This isn't a joke when we say a userscript will be necessary to reverse all the bullshit going on in the new UI.

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane

I tend to agree. The Codex could actually do with a bigger font size. Makes it easier to read more. Small fonts and no line-spacing are legit eye cancer designed for people who are autistic or never mastered basic patience and as such are infuriated by any size of text above 4px. Small fonts and filled spaces is mostly catering to ADHD morons, who have difficulty taking their time processing text and visuals. Zooming in is an unnecessary hassle. I see no reason why the rest of us should be made miserable just to accommodate them.

This isn't a joke when we say a userscript will be necessary to reverse all the bullshit going on in the new UI.

Absinthe

Arcane

I tend to agree. The Codex could actually do with a bigger font size. Makes it easier to read more. Small fonts and no line-spacing are legit eye cancer designed for people who are autistic or never mastered basic patience and as such are infuriated by any size of text above 4px. Small fonts and filled spaces is mostly catering to ADHD morons, who have difficulty taking their time processing text and visuals. Zooming in is an unnecessary hassle. I see no reason why the rest of us should be made miserable just to accommodate them.

Humbaba, you just proved my point about low IQ people. To low IQ folks, anything that requires even a marginal exercise of intellect looks like autism, and you couldn't even be bothered to come up with an original thought of your own so you had to crib mine and make a few tweaks to the language to make it look like a snappy retort.

Not to mention people with ADHD are precisely the kind of person that have difficulty sustaining the attention span to take in a large density of text, so they need to keep breaking it down into smaller components to make it mentally easier on themselves. Some of us also read (and yes, I do mean reading, not skimming) text way the fuck faster than others, and the faster we read text, the more frequently we have to scroll. Stop trying to pass off being slow as patience.

Humbaba

Arcane

Humbaba, you just proved my point about low IQ people. To low IQ folks, anything that requires even a marginal exercise of intellect looks like autism, and you couldn't even be bothered to come up with an original thought of your own so you had to crib mine and make a few tweaks to the language to make it look like a snappy retort.

Believing in IQ is the most autistic thing on earth. Cope harder.

Absinthe

Arcane
Believing in IQ is the most autistic thing on earth. Cope harder.
There's an argument to be had about the comprehensiveness and usefulness of IQ as a metric. But trying to reject the basic notion that some people are more intelligent than others is another way you out yourself as an idiot.

Also, you get butthurt really easily, kid.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I beg to differ. The Codex could actually do with a smaller font size. Makes it easier to read more in a single glance. Large fonts and line-spacing are legit eye cancer designed for people who either need glasses or never mastered basic literacy and as such are intimidated by any density of text. Big fonts and empty spaces is mostly catering to low IQ morons, who have difficulty processing text and visuals. Zooming in is always an option for those with reading difficulties anyway. I see no reason why the rest of us should be made miserable just to accommodate them.

How about you zoom out?

Top examples: sites with fonts for people with normal vision
Second from the bottom: a site made for ants with ant vision
Bottom image: a site made for slightly bigger ants; regular-sized ants react with hostility, claim it's too large

Humbaba

Arcane
There's an argument to be had about the comprehensiveness and applicability of IQ. But trying to reject the basic notion that some people are more intelligent than others is how you out yourself as an idiot.
How could I ever reject such a notion when retards like you are allowed to speak

Absinthe

Arcane

How about you zoom out?

Top examples: sites with fonts for people with normal vision
Second from the bottom: a site made for ants with ant vision
Bottom image: a site made for slightly bigger ants; regular-sized ants react with hostility, claim it's too large
I do zoom out on occasion, but you're going to find out that a lot more people prefer not having to zoom out than people like you apparently do zooming in. Also, RPG Codex and that imageboard have literally the same font size.

There's an argument to be had about the comprehensiveness and applicability of IQ. But trying to reject the basic notion that some people are more intelligent than others is how you out yourself as an idiot.
How could I ever reject such a notion when retards like you are allowed to speak
And being unable to formulate a rational counter-argument to the opinion you disagree with in favor of shitty attempts at put-downs is yet another way to out yourself as an idiot.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Also, RPG Codex and that imageboard have literally the same font size.
I had to check to confirm and you're correct. :what:

Turns out black on blue/white is much easier on the eyes than white-on-blue/gray. 4chan doesn't give me eyestrain, this site does at the default zoom level.

Absinthe

Arcane
And being unable to formulate a rational counter-argument to the opinion you disagree with in favor of shitty attempts at put-downs is yet another way to out yourself as an idiot.
Sounds like someone's missing r/atheism.
I rest my case. Kid, you sound like someone who got one too many participation awards in life and grew up thinking he was special. And it turns out you are special, just not the kind of special you think. If you want a flamewar or something, at least do it properly, not this steady stream of butthurt. At least let me shit on you without making me secretly pity you.

Also, RPG Codex and that imageboard have literally the same font size.
I had to check to confirm and you're correct. :what:

Turns out black on blue/white is much easier on the eyes than white-on-blue/gray. 4chan doesn't give me eyestrain, this site does at the default zoom level.
Might be a monitor thing, to be honest. Depending on things like screen brightness, color contrast, gamma values, and refresh rates, eye strain can vary a lot. My eye strain issues dropped a lot when I just lowered monitor brightness a ton and made sure the PC was using a higher refresh rate my monitor is capable of.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
maybe I am helped by the fact that I use redshift (it's f.lux but for Linux).
It tweaks the gamma for less eye strain, and makes things quite red, particularly at night time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom