Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yoshi's Island, for the record, is my personal favorite 2D mario game.
I played it on Gameboy Advance and did not finished it. It was gorgeous, but I did not find it fun. You're always treading on eggshells, any wrong movement and the baby starts his insufferable crying, and god forbid you loss one star too many, meaning you'll have to start again.

Saldrone

Novice
Hitman: Contracts was an actually great Hitman game.
How is that an unpopular opinion, my man?
It's arguably the best game in the series!
Also the most atmospheric.
And the Jesper Kyd soundtrack...
It isnt unpopular then? since It received a lot of criticism due to recycled levels from the first game and lineal level design and generally considered inferior to Silent Assassin and Blood Money

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Hitman: Contracts was an actually great Hitman game.
How is that an unpopular opinion, my man?
It's arguably the best game in the series!
Also the most atmospheric.
And the Jesper Kyd soundtrack...
It isnt unpopular then? since It received a lot of criticism due to recycled levels from the first game and lineal level design and generally considered inferior to Silent Assassin and Blood Money
Not recycled, but improved.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Daggerfall has decent systems but awful quests and even worse dungeons.

Pool of Radiance and other goldbox games are at best a historical curiosities.

Elden Ring/Sekiro are the worst fromsoftware games.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Daggerfall has decent systems but awful quests and even worse dungeons.
Dungeons are absolutely massive and labyrinthine, and this can make navigating and the quests themselves very difficult.
Quest items and monsters get randomly placed in the dungeon...
Still, I love Daggerfall precisely for this reason.

sabotaj

Barely Literate
Great topic.
The creators of Max Payne are assholes for aging him to the point where they would have had to make him a retiree in a hypothetical 4th series.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Yoshi's Island, for the record, is my personal favorite 2D mario game.
I played it on Gameboy Advance and did not finished it. It was gorgeous, but I did not find it fun. You're always treading on eggshells, any wrong movement and the baby starts his insufferable crying, and god forbid you loss one star too many, meaning you'll have to start again.
That game is piss easy, the enemies are basically harmless with how you can easily get crying mario back and the only real dangers are environmental hazards. It reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog with its rings.

Hell Swarm

Educated
From software should add an ELO system to souls games. Invasions should have a hidden rank so you're more likely to be paired against someone of an equal skill level. This would solve the problem of try hards invading newbies and plug pullers preventing invasions at all (plug pull counts as a loss). If you have summons in game you should be matched by much higher ranks than you usually would, you should be put higher up the list for invaders searching at the master rank levels.

Invasions should also happen organically where 2 players in the same area can phase into the same multiplayer instance without using an item (items and covenants should still remain in the game for specific PvP players). A ghost will solidify and then it's up to you two to figure out if you want to fight or work together. It would revive the original feeling of Demon's souls co op systems before it became fight clubs and gank squads.

GamerCat_

Educated
This thread was made in anticipation of my arrival. The world spirit spoke to Lemming42 on my behalf.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Quake is and always was overrated game, impressive tech demo for when it was made, but as a game it's fucking boring...and very brown.
Read Masters of Doom and Romero's new book. They talk about its troubled production.

The brown was a result of tech limits. 8 bit colour was all they could process with their engine.

Ezekiel

Arcane
From software should add an ELO system to souls games. Invasions should have a hidden rank so you're more likely to be paired against someone of an equal skill level. This would solve the problem of try hards invading newbies and plug pullers preventing invasions at all (plug pull counts as a loss). If you have summons in game you should be matched by much higher ranks than you usually would, you should be put higher up the list for invaders searching at the master rank levels.

Invasions should also happen organically where 2 players in the same area can phase into the same multiplayer instance without using an item (items and covenants should still remain in the game for specific PvP players). A ghost will solidify and then it's up to you two to figure out if you want to fight or work together. It would revive the original feeling of Demon's souls co op systems before it became fight clubs and gank squads.
I have a better idea. Improve the offline by letting the player pause the game. I stopped caring about invasions and cooperation after Dark Souls II. The try-hards who idle in the same places forever don't care about the world anyway, act like the whole thing is a joke.

Also, you should absolutely be able to disable the messages they spam everywhere, whether you play offline or online. Many are intentionally placed in front of/on NPCs and items. There are so many that they make the world look worse.

Hell Swarm

Educated

I have a better idea. Improve the offline by letting the player pause the game. I stopped caring about invasions and cooperation after Dark Souls II. The try-hards who idle in the same places forever don't care about the world anyway, act like the whole thing is a joke.

Also, you should absolutely be able to disable the messages they spam everywhere, whether you play offline or online. Many are intentionally placed in front of/on NPCs and items. There are so many that they make the world look worse.
I agree completely. Pausing the game is a reasonable expectation. If you need the bathroom or to do something and you can't pause it you have to quit out. It's dumb and there's no good reason for it while offline.

Finger butthole.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Oh, and I forgot to say that 99.8 percent of the messages are irreverent. Nonsense. Completely useless feature.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Quake is and always was overrated game, impressive tech demo for when it was made, but as a game it's fucking boring...and very brown.
Read Masters of Doom and Romero's new book. They talk about its troubled production.

The brown was a result of tech limits. 8 bit colour was all they could process with their engine.
Romero's got a book?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom