Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
If they had worthy singleplayers instead of garbage I'd consider upgrading it a tier.
"if this car was a plane it could fly" :kingcomrade:

Fighting games are a beautiful combination of knowledge, reactions, execution, mindfulness and competition. If this flies over your head because of confusing "like" with "quality", that's a shame.

Ash

Arcane
I know exactly what fighters are. I grew up with them, and still will bust one out from time to time for fun with friends. I'm fairly decent at them, though don't find them interesting enough to truly master. About the only moveset I ever came close to in that regard was Akuma. Mid-tier. Dragon Ball Z Boudokai 2/3 would be the only game I would even consider giving a promotion to, because they had more comprehensive singleplayer and a shitton of overall depth. Though I am not sure how they fare at the competitive level, possibly all falls apart due to one fatal exploit or design oversight.

Also stop pretending they aren't planes. They are singleplayer games. Just very shitty ones in almost all cases.

Hagashager

Educated
World is for soy boys. More focused in which way? It's shorter than 3. Less complexity & depth than 3. More linear than 3. The physics suck. the art sucks. It's decline in every way.
More focused...on what, core platforming gameplay? Explain how exactly. It's the same thing just less of it. Lazy.

As for the art. Gross. Look at that bush on the left in the foreground, ZERO detail. Look at that lazy background, SMB3 All stars had more detail let alone almost any other SNES game. The HUD is fucking UGLY. Mario himself should be tossed in a blender, so cutesy in a very weird way. Yuck, it offends my eyes. Alongside the toybox-sounding music it really blends into peak decline.

R.aa5b7c2ede2505a4393c18e9a3f837e9

Taken alone, it's a decent-ish game. Compared to the greatest platformer of all time, that being SMB3, it's shit. Same goes for every other Mario game.
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Oh yeah, real detailed. You're kidding yourself if you see any significant difference between the above and:
super-mario-world-23.big.jpg

There's obviously a stylistic choice going on, but the difference is hardly Cel-Shade Versus Photo-Real. You can only do so much with early SNES hardware.

Besides, regardless of your opinion on gameplay, I think we can both agree both games are curbstomped by the actual artistry of:
yoshi-island.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Yoshi's Island.

Yoshi's Island, for the record, is my personal favorite 2D mario game.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Super Mario World is decline in all the important ways.

Do you dash almost nonstop in 2D Mario like I do? Like 98 percent?

Ash

Arcane
Yoshi's Island.

Yoshi's Island, for the record, is my personal favorite 2D mario game.

Ah, the first retarded nintendo collectathon.

I'm being facetious. It is a good game, decent art indeed, and better than World, cutesy but actually pulls it off with style, but it has some major issues. The core gameplay is most engaging in collectathon form, as it is otherwise a bit too easy. 30 seconds to retrieve mario and the last 10 seconds always regenerate? Only instakills (pitfalls namely) pose a real challenge otherwise. Ok so it's a collectathon, it's pretty good at that and perhaps doesn't overdo it like some later games, but it is quite lame having to redo levels to find all the red coins and shit, while also not getting hit. It's still fun but no substitute for rock-solid core gameplay like Mario 3. It doesn't have endless replayability as a result also. And lastly, most importantly, the fucking baby crying is awful.

A classic nonetheless, but you're simply misguided or have shit taste if you favor it over SMB3.

Spukrian

Savant
Deus Ex: Invisible War is not completely terrible, and deserves a more thorough assessment and to be played with an open mind who is not averse to some disappointment.
It's not completely terrible no, but it is utterly sub-par and doesn't really deserve anything. don't waste your time and play better, non-sellout games, of which there are hundreds.
Invisible War is better than Human Revolution and Mankind Divided.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Deus Ex: Invisible War is not completely terrible, and deserves a more thorough assessment and to be played with an open mind who is not averse to some disappointment.
It's not completely terrible no, but it is utterly sub-par and doesn't really deserve anything. don't waste your time and play better, non-sellout games, of which there are hundreds.
:hahyou:

Machocruz

Arcane
For what it's worth, that is the All Stars version. They tried to bring it up to parity with World. It has more visual noise and color saturation, but I don't think these are improvements. Look at that garish melon sky, like Liberace was the art director. I prefer the austerity and cleanliness of the original. More is not always better. Plus there are changes in style/concept I don't agree with, for example:

smb3_w1-5.png
smas-smb3_w1-5.png

Two different vibes here. Often (in fact, most of the time) when game developers remake a game, they go for the most obvious, literal re-imagining of the visuals. "It's underground therefore we have to make it look more undergroundy caverny." From the surreal to the prosaic, and who wants prosaic Mario? It's like having Mario run around a normal human cit- huh, what's that?....

World I don't have an issue with because it had its style out of the gate and it looks better than All Stars 3 anyway imo. But I never cared for Nintendo's color or design sense from SNES on, Yoshi's Island and Super Metroid being the exceptions, and not counting DKC because Rare.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron

I’ve said before, Invisible War looks, sounds, feels more like Deus Ex than Human Revolution. I’ve never played Mankind Divided, but the idea of ‘augmented’ humans as an underclass is so completely, carelessly stupid it has be to disqualified.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Invisible War isn't the disaster people say it is. It's a far inferior game to DX1 with tons of issues, but I remember actually enjoying it while going through it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I’ve said before, Invisible War looks, sounds, feels more like Deus Ex than Human Revolution. I’ve never played Mankind Divided, but the idea of ‘augmented’ humans as an underclass is so completely, carelessly stupid it has be to disqualified.
I agree.
They went for the whole "underdog" and 'muh oppression shit. Original Deus Ex explored augmentations in the best way. Mechanical augs vs Nano augs. JC and Paul had the superior Nano augs, but those are very hard to install in individuals.

Nathir

Liturgist
If they had worthy singleplayers instead of garbage I'd consider upgrading it a tier.
"if this car was a plane it could fly" :kingcomrade:

Fighting games are a beautiful combination of knowledge, reactions, execution, mindfulness and competition. If this flies over your head because of confusing "like" with "quality", that's a shame.

It's clear he doesn't understand fighting games and never got good at one. But if you look at older FGs they put more emphasis on single player content. He's the guy who buys an FG, plays through the arcade with a character he likes, a few multiplayer games spamming hadouken or wahtever and it starts feeling repetitive. I actually think most casuals are like him. But he does have a point, and imo it's the reason why FGs are struggling nowadays. Lack of good and meaningful single player content.

Let's look at GG AC+R. It not only has an incredibly varied and balanced character rooster, the story mode has different paths and multiple endings for every character. I'm not saying it's an amazing experience, but if you look at the latest game, Strive... Strive has a cinematic story mode that plays itself over the course of 4 hours and is incredibly cringe. But the gameplay is incredibly dumbed down and simple. Every character plays the same, you have ez mode combos that are 4-5 hits into 40% dmg. Slow down on hit, you can use RC in neutral and cancel out of every move. The speed is slower... The ranking system is purposely designed so that everyone can reach the highest rank.

What I noticed in the past years is that Fighting game companies are trying to appeal to players like Ash. So called "casuals". In making the gameplay dumbed down as fuck. But players like him only care about spending some time in single player. If the gameplay is complex and well balanced, or incredibly simple and boring... a player like Ash will not care about that. A fighting game for him needs better singleplayer content, because it's the only thing that will keep him interested for a while. Older games were better at this. He gives a shout out to Budokai Tenkaichi (just as an aside, the DBZ games don't have a "shitton of depth"), because you can replay the different stories, you have a ton of unlockables etc. But if you play a "real" DBZ fighting game like the recent dragon ball fighterz, you get a lame and cringe story mode and online pvp. Characters are DLC, and unlockables are random tiny avatar clothes. Then you have something like Soul Calibur 2, and the weapon master mode. I don't think any game came close to implementing something similar.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that modern FGs fundamentally misunderstand how to make FGs appealing to casuals like Ash. No, it's not by making the gameplay slow and dumbed down... it's by adding an interesting story, interesting characters, tons of unlockables, and different game modes. About the only game in recent memory that attempted this was SF6 with the world tour mode. Which isn't that good because the actual story is anime cringe, but it was a better attempt than usual. And it's fun to run around the map with your custom character for a while. For instance SFV released with just story mode and 16 characters and was a total disaster at launch.

And speaking of interesting stories... most FGs these days are legacy franchises. That keep reusing the same characters from 20 years ago. So the stories are often convoluted, pointless and just bad. Let's look at Guilty gear from the late 90's early 00's. A character like Chipp used to be a drifting drug addict with anger issues, who was a total asshole. Even as alte as AC+R story he insults most people he comes across. He used to be an "american ninja" that used lighting pentagrams and devil faces in his moves. He was a dangerous asshole that you don't want to mess with. In Xrd he becomes a total retard, that somehow wants to become president of a country with 2 people in it or something. It's supposed to be funny, but it's just... retarded. And gone are the pentagrams, he now is doing Naruto handsigns and he's completely japanese. The Man. The guy responsible for everything, and the big villain of the franchise, who was always in shadows in the old artworks... Is revealed to be an anime catboy wizard that has been misunderstood or something. Do we even have a villain in modern GG? Or Street fighter6?

If you buy a DBZ game you get the same repeated story beats over and over again. Even a game with an ''original'' story like DBFZ just recycles the same old beats. Haha Yamcha is weak, haha Goku is stupid... etc. Mortal kombat is recycling it's characters and story mode ad nauseam and doesn't know what to do with it. It just got another reboot where Liu Kang is god or something, and Raiden is a mortal. But they can't let go of the legacy characters. Why not make something new at this point? Modern fighting games are creatively bankrupt.

They keep dumbing down the gameplay, which has been proven that it doesn't work in retaining people playing PVP. They keep ignoring singleplayer content, and an interesting story. Unlockables become DLC. The characters are getting worse and more convoluted. But they are too scared too make new characters or even new FG franchises. SF6 is probably the best attempt at a new FG in recent years... but it has it's own issues. I know the market is unforgiving but at some point a new game will have to take a risk. And as the last point, old FGs used to be incredibly stylish. A good character select screen with good character designs could go a long way. Nowadays everything is more sterile as far as the UI design goes, and the character designs are less edgy and badass.

Comparing any game to Yoshi's Island is unfair because it came out at the tail end of the SNES lifespan and it was more like an early n64 title. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be some sort of launch title for the project ultra 64 but as that kept being delayed they must've retooled it into the snes game we got.

I like it, but it feels overwhelming in parts. Kind of the same problem I felt going from DKC to DKC2.

Hagashager

Educated
Comparing any game to Yoshi's Island is unfair because it came out at the tail end of the SNES lifespan and it was more like an early n64 title. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be some sort of launch title for the project ultra 64 but as that kept being delayed they must've retooled it into the snes game we got.

I like it, but it feels overwhelming in parts. Kind of the same problem I felt going from DKC to DKC2.
Yoshi's Island was very much developed for the SNES. Miyamoto was told to make a 3D Sprite game in the vein of Donkey Kong Country.

Sources conflict on whether Miyamoto actually *resented* DKC or not, but he did feel there were other ways to make a game look good besides crunching 3D models into a side-scroller.

Miyamoto was allowed to make his Mario Platformer, which he billed as looking like water-color on the condition that for the upcoming N64 he needed to make a platformer like DKC. (Bear in mind this was before anyone realized Super Mario 64 was happening).

That 3D-Sprite game did happen by the way: Yoshi's Story- a game far *far* beneath its predecessor.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
They keep ignoring singleplayer
To be fair Xrd has a crazy singleplayer mode where you get to customize a char with all kinds of WTF stuff, we are talking some serious dev work, it's even crazier than Isuka, and nobody gave a fuck (if they even realize it's in the game at all). Seems like a huge waste of resources at that point.
A good character select screen with good character designs could go a long way. Nowadays everything is more sterile as far as the UI design goes
This is especially sad. Why FFS? I'm kinda stumped on that one...maybe a cool UI would clash too much with the neutered gameplay...lol.

Borelli

Arcane
Populous 2 (i haven't played the first one but i get the feel they are the same) is simplistic and very repetitive game and not worth the title of being one of the PC greats.
Populous 3 on the other hand is, despite being a totally different thing, a great RTS that does 3d like very few others do.

catfood

AGAIN
Populous 3 on the other hand is, despite being a totally different thing, a great RTS that does 3d like very few others do.
This is one of the few games that made me go wow, we're here now?!?. Great fun and very impressive at the time.
There is also a great mod called the Multiverse Launcher which brings a ton of technical fixes, a ton of new maps and campaigns, and working multi-layer servers.

https://thebeginning.uk/multiverse/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom