Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your worst gaming habits

Jürgen

Literate
I tend to hoard items as well and over-prepare reading some guides (or watching Youtube videos) before getting into a game. Also, I'm into achievements and such making some games needlessly frustrating.

I tend to only play shit I've already played before these days, usually stuff from my teen years that I have a strong attachment to, because looking at whatever other game that gets recommended by friends saying "You need to play this!" usually has me thinking "This looks incredibly generic." or "Just looks like a shitter version of X" where X = a game I liked from my past.

It takes me a long time to work up the desire to actually learn to play some new game's system or to even put myself in the right mindset to make a start. I just don't care enough about finding new games anymore and the periods of time between the end of one big RPG and beginning another get longer and longer as I get older, which makes it easier and easier to just fall back to my old haunts, since we're talking years between playthroughs anyway. I find it a tiresome prospect to dump 60-100 hours into some RPG just for it to leave no lasting impression on me these days, and more often than not, that's exactly what happens regardless of how new or old the game is.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Often I'll start a game I'm really enjoying but I'll only play for the four or five minutes, save, then exit the game. I'll get up, go take a piss, or go grab a snack, come back, boot the game back up, play another five minutes, save, then exit the game.

Then I just sit there and wonder why I keep doing that.

Hitting a difficulty spike, deciding to stop playing for the night, then not playing the game again for several months and having no clue what I was doing when I try to pick it up again.

Dota 2

But seriously firing up Retroarch and cycling through roms, 2 minutes at a time, and not really playing anything. Been doing that for years.

Zlaja

Arcane

Modron

Arcane
Often I'll start a game I'm really enjoying but I'll only play for the four or five minutes, save, then exit the game. I'll get up, go take a piss, or go grab a snack, come back, boot the game back up, play another five minutes, save, then exit the game.

Go get a prostate exam.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
1. Get open world game.

2. Play 3 missions.

3. Spend 20 hours going on random murder rampages.

4. Lose interest in game.

Getting addicted to games that aren't even that good because they're so comfy e.g. the amount of time I spent with Total War, or recently playing the interesting but very unchallenging Gemfire

For me that's Victoria 2. It's a great game, but after a while I noticed I wasn't playing it because it was fun, but because it's the kind of work that I enjoy. My inner Chud tells me I'd probably turn out a decent 19th century imperial bureaucrat. Alas, my country will never send me to get malaria in Swaziland or allow me to dictate imperial policy from my well-furnished Victorian study filled with maps. I realized I'd be better off reading a book.

You shouldn't be snacking all the time, man. You're gonna get diabetes.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I got really far into Dragon Age: Origins. I heard it was a great game. And I was enjoying it for the most part. I finished a bunch of quests and got some armor, but it was kind of lame armor so I sold it. Later I found out that all the unique quest-reward armor I was selling was the best armor in the game, after set bonuses are added. I didn't realize it had a set bonus. I didn't want to finish the game without the cool armor, and I didn't want to restart the game to get the armor again. So I have never finished DA:O.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
backupbackupsave for my backupsave quicksave again better make a backupbackupbackup save wew quicksave time again!
Probably the worst one, don't even savescum for better results or anything, it's just retadred.

Hoarding/stingy, although this has become less over the years. Al Fabet hit a little too close to home :lol:

ferratilis

Magister
I find it difficult to get attached to and finish games on game pass or any similar service (which is the main reason I started avoiding subscriptions in general). Before you point out, yes I know you technically don't OWN anything on Steam, but having purchased a game by myself makes me more invested in it and more likely to finish or even replay it.

I feel the same way about Netflix, I'd rather just pay a flat amount for a single movie to watch, rather than have a huge library of random shit that I'll just scroll through and never watch anything. But maybe I'm just weird.

Kruyurk

Learned
A few years ago I was afflicted by OCD. In video games it manifested itself with difficulty modes, I was constantly checking that I did not change the setting by mistake.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Except from a slight case of rerollitis, I have no bad gaming habits. I usually complete the games I start, and I don't suffer OCD attacks if I miss some content.
Also, it's always tempting to just fire up a new HoMM 3, AoW or Thief user-made map, instead of learning the mechanics of a new game.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Compulsive restarting in some types of games, like Rimworld, Civilization, etc. Even playing Baldur's Gate 3 I had to fight the dark urge to reroll another character when I see something cool about a different class/setup/alignment/etc.
But I am a recovering addict, and I am able to resist somewhat these days.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
2r0wrd.jpg

also

3sf5wm2dfrja1.png

Tommy Gun

Arcane
In sandbox games, I get drawn into trying to get out of the map, sometimes spending way too long sprinting and jumping into invisible walls.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I hog precious weapons and ammunition. I am that guy who reaches Half-Life 2 final with full ammo and weapons and 99% eneies killed with cheapest option possible.

Ash

Arcane
Very few, because chad gamer.

Perhaps two:

I play the correct way regarding resource use: I use them wisely but always save at least 1 important item in inventory. No need to overhoard. But sometimes I do get stubborn trying to do things the non-buffed way and end up dying multiple times. Then I'll just wise up and use the buff. Helps that I mostly only play on highest difficulty and not casual shit games, because then resource use is actually needed, not optional fluff.

Second bad habit is online multiplayer games. I don't manage my time with them well, get addicted, and play the same fucking degenerate game over and over. It has been like 5 years since I played any. I banned myself. I miss it but time is very valuable and I already consoom tons of singleplayer, and if I have to give up multiplayer or singleplayer (+local MP) then the choice is clear.

Bonus bad habit is being too judgmental of the first level or handful of hours of games. I am well aware from experience that games can start out unimpressive and become great later, this is always at the back of mind, but I still find myself writing some off too early. That said there have also been far too many times where I have stuck it out hoping it will get better and it doesn't. Lastly, sometimes you do just know when a game is bad and not worth the effort. This probably isn't even a bad gaming habit at all, just a conundrum of any type of media consumption.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I tend to only play shit I've already played before these days, usually stuff from my teen years that I have a strong attachment to, because looking at whatever other game that gets recommended by friends saying "You need to play this!" usually has me thinking "This looks incredibly generic." or "Just looks like a shitter version of X" where X = a game I liked from my past.

It takes me a long time to work up the desire to actually learn to play some new game's system or to even put myself in the right mindset to make a start. I just don't care enough about finding new games anymore and the periods of time between the end of one big RPG and beginning another get longer and longer as I get older, which makes it easier and easier to just fall back to my old haunts, since we're talking years between playthroughs anyway. I find it a tiresome prospect to dump 60-100 hours into some RPG just for it to leave no lasting impression on me these days, and more often than not, that's exactly what happens regardless of how new or old the game is.
I think the problem isn't you, but 99% of modern RPGs. Which ones aren't just shitter versions of old classics? I honestly want to know. I do need to explore more modern RPGs, if they're actually worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom