Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Woah, woah, WOAH!
What's going on here? I come home to whispers and mutterings of MALEVOLENCE?

Calm the fuck down. There's nothing that would warrant Falcom having to take a fucking break from making either of their ancient signature series that they've been making since the 80s.
There's nothing inherently wrong with Ys IX, it's fucking Ys, alright? Yeah, it's maybe not as good as VIII, it has balance issues, it doesn't look too good and the story is not top-notch(but gets better, as is always the case with Ys). It's still Ys, and that makes it better than most other modern games, especially shit from the western market. It's pure unadulterated, light-hearted fun.

There's a certain poster in this thread that is planting seeds of doubt, trying to destroy us from the inside and you're all taking the bait. Stop!

Shadenuat

Arcane
Ys hasn't been Ys since they introduced party, so Monstrum being good Ys is also implausible. there's a lot of neat in this gaem (unusual setting with childish take on europ history; not stupid, by JRPG standards, story premise; likeable character cast, adol being adol), except, sadly, gaem, which is mostly pseudoopenworld blocked by chapters and linear level design and little roof topsides; horribly boring "tower defence", nonchallenging platforming and enemies, crap loot and very unspectacular, by Ys terms, bosses.

I'd probably base whole game inside prison instead (like Origins did with the Tower) with various options to get into some areas out undercover; basically made Ys Fatalis out of it. Maybe with a reasonable stealth system instead of Gifts.

I am not giving up yet tho, perhaps another Dana the half dinosaur awaits us with rainbow lakes inside colossal mushrooms, didn't happen too long ago afterall. Having a more **majestik** setting and spirit of tireless adventure and discovering wild unknown, brings these games a tad above what I consider mediocre and gives me fun.

That and more waifus with ears and tails in white dresses, naturally.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Doesn't leave much room for delays or flexibility due to changing market conditions, though. Tokyo Xanadu had to be cobbled together in a rush to make up for delays to Ys VIII and Trails

Good point. There will be no room for anything that isn't Ys or Trails. I mean, even moreso than before.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
image.png

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ys hasn't been Ys since they introduced party, so Monstrum being good Ys is also implausible.

Nostalgia glasses distort reality to unbelievable extents. Ys VIII was better than any other in the series that came before it, so, pretty fuckin worth of the 'Ys' title.

sadly, gaem, which is mostly pseudoopenworld blocked by chapters and linear level design and little roof topsides;

Every other criticism aside from this and the previous one I quoted makes sense. What the fuck does 'pseudo open world' mean? I wasn't aware the game ever advertised itself as being open world. All the store page says is 'Explore the massive city'.

From the get-go right after leaving prison, you see just how restrained you are since you're unable to even go past the city gates. Balduq is nothing but an extensive hub, whose sectors you unlock by, yes, playing through the game. Literally nothing wrong with it.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Question for that have played this on PC - will Ys9 run on a not powerful laptop? Or rather - if I can run Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ fine on my laptop will this run fine?

Shadenuat

Arcane
What the fuck does 'pseudo open world' mean?
all the mobility abilities they showed off are only freely usable to collect feathers and graffitis. in any other level, their use is close to being entirely linear, including long loops of backtracking to go around some long ass unscaleable cliff formation gated by another !questmarker. it is especially asinine when everything between u and !questmarker is just a small amount of trashmobs and plants to kick. This is btw why older games are better (esp unchallenged and best in the series, Origins): they're just dungeon crawls without worthless padding.
I don't care how the game advertised (but btw - the city is not interesting to explore :shittydog:). If it has giant map/unlockable areas/free&vertical movement abilities, but plays like NWN1 i get muh narrative dissonance. also nothing you do seems to matter (I remember failing one quest and in next chapter it almost seemed like game counted it being resolved anyway), no good rewards for dumb collectables, no choices, no extra endings, nothing nein zero. pure jrpg pseudoscience. don't make assets if you're not going to use them, just make straight action game instead. can even dump most RPG elements, they were mostly worthless forever anyway - just a baggage, unlike Trails, where you can at least game the system and defeat enemies through it by speed chaincasting, stacking gems etc.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
Currently got a problem on YS VIII, for some reason the primordial from the quest "saurian hunt 3" glitch is way straight into the ground, i try loading different saves but it amount to nothing, and i would not get my hope on technical support. Will i be missing something if i'm missing only one quest in dana's past ?

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Currently got a problem on YS VIII, for some reason the primordial from the quest "saurian hunt 3" glitch is way straight into the ground, i try loading different saves but it amount to nothing, and i would not get my hope on technical support. Will i be missing something if i'm missing only one quest in dana's past ?

Afraid so, without spoiling too much, you need to do every quest. On the other hand, you can go back in the past later, so maybe it helps, if you try the quest another time?

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'VE DECIDED YS IX IS GOOD.

Those who disagree are on the Morrowind/Pathfinder spectrum and can be safely disregarded.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Question for that have played this on PC - will Ys9 run on a not powerful laptop? Or rather - if I can run Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ fine on my laptop will this run fine?

Performance is not too good, not going to lie. Durante and his team did their best but there are obstacles they couldn't overcome, if you read the technical report. There are areas (city, prison) where you might struggle FPS-wise. Aside from that, the game and all options load lightning-fast and there is no memory or pagefile thrashing.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Performance is not too good, not going to lie.

I have computer parts that have yet to be developed, and everyone will have to wait 1,000,000 years before they have the same hardware as me. Performance can not be bad on my PC.

Jinn

Arcane
Ys IX is indeed good, and I've found some of the complaints about it to be overblown, particularly if the general consensus here is that Ys VIII was a great game (it was). It's basically just a step down from YS VIII, with much of that having to do with just how much it inherits from its predecessor and feeling slightly stale because of that. A step down from an awesome game is still a good game.

I enjoy the exploration and freedom of movement. The combat remains great, and as long as you're playing on Nightmare or above, every equipment upgrade and level is impactful and matters greatly. I feel bad for anyone who played this on Hard or lower. Robbed yourself of half the fun. Exploration is damn near as addictive and enjoyable as Ys VIII's, and anyone who think's Ys VIII's dungeon design was hugely better than Ys IX's needs to either refresh their memory or get their head checked. They are pretty much on par, and I've found IX's dungeons to be even more interesting in some cases. Yes, dungeon design needs to be improved across the board for the next game, but it was still enjoyable and well-paced in this. The characters and setting are both charming and a nice change of pace for the series.

So overall, Ys IX is largely an extension of Ys VIII, and a good one at that. I would like to see them try something a little more daring with the next Ys game, but I've enjoyed my time with IX greatly and would recommend it to any action-JRPG fan.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Okay, it took me 41 hours to finish the game (I took my time with epilogue).

Yes, the game isn't as good as Ys VIII, but that's mostly because of the unevenly told story and the difficulty.

The story is good, but at the end it switches gears themewise and that not in the smoothest way. What started as a story about conspiracies and reveng turns into ... something really cool, but it could used more scenes or quests in that direction. We could have more moments that build up to that revelation, but mostly we got those through exposition. I found the idea of the Monstrums in general a bit underused, especially the whole persona thing, that let's some of them live out their fantasies. And I get the feeling that IX was supposed to be an even darker game, considering what happens in the last chapters. The Devs probably ran out of budget or had to rewrite a lot, I guess.

What made VIII story in my mind so good, was that it took its time and gave us even beyond affinityevents so many moments of the survivors sitting together and having a good time. IX feels a bit more mission based and almost hasty in its pacing. To sum it up: VIII took its time, IX has no time.

And hard is a joke. I read that this game was way easier than VIII, but I never thought it would be that easy. I felt kind of offended :D.

That said:

- The graphics and presentation are way better and I want that update on Ys: VIII. Especially the faces profited from that update.
- I liked the cast overall, even edgelord Credo. Especially edgelord Credo. They have written him as the kind of asshole that makes you laugh. And even besides his comments I laughed quite a bit. Especially when the rest of the group was commenting that Adol is kind of a weirdo. Which, let's be honest, he kinda is.
- The gameplay is as fast and fun as it should be and the gifts of the monstrum are a nice addition. Too bad, they couldn't be more involved in the bossfights.
- I also liked the parts were Adol had to work alone. Had a nice feel of old school Ys and surviving deathtraps never gets old.

This is overall a good entry and I hope they build up on the hints, they dropped. Meaning I wish for a game:

- In the Romun Heartlands.
- With Dogi as a real group member again.
- Maybe some references to roman gods like Janus or italian folkore in general.
- Bigger, better, more polished, something that feels like a milestone for the tenth entry.
- Or we are going to kick the romun legions asses in Britai and maybe combine it with arthurian mythology? Because, come on, we all can see Adol as a Knight of the Round Table. And this time it could even mean trouble for him, when the maingirl falls in love with him. I mean, just take a look how it worked out for Guineverre and Lancelot.

And after playing all the games thar are avaiable at Steam and GOG, my ranking looks like this:

1. Ys: VIII (the best)
2. Ys III: Oath in Felghana
3. Ys Origin
4. Ys SEVEN
5. Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
6 Ys II
7. Ys IV: Memory of Celceta
8. Ys I
9. Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim (it's still alright, but a major letdown after Felghana and Origin).

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Origin > Old shit =? Old 3d shit > nu party shit > 8 > 9

841c4b913cfb27090bce2a40db849452.jpg

D
__E
_____C
_______L
_____ ____I
___________ N
_____ __________E

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher

Well the good new is that i don't have to worry about that anymore.

Because the bad news is that my HDD fucking DIED last sunday, so i don't have any saved gamed on it anymore.

Would someone have by any chance a save around the beginning of chapter 6 ?

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected

Because the bad news is that my HDD fucking DIED last sunday, so i don't have any saved gamed on it anymore.

I think, I have.
It starts with a raid, correct?

I played on Hard difficulty, is that okay? Do you play on Steam or GOG?

Sarathiour

Cipher

I think, I have.
It starts with a raid, correct?

I played on Hard difficulty, is that okay? Do you play on Steam or GOG?

gog, and i did not use galaxy or whatever cloud save obviously :(.

I also played on hard. I agree on hard being a bit too easy most of the time, but most primordial could still pack quite a punch and two-shot you. Nightmare is currently too tedious for me, i would be doable but i would have to rely way more on consumable, which i tried to avoid as much as possible.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected

I also played on hard. I agree on hard being a bit too easy most of the time, but most primordial could still pack quite a punch and two-shot you. Nightmare is currently too tedious for me, i would be doable but i would have to rely way more on consumable, which i tried to avoid as much as possible.

Fuuuck, sorry dude :(. Not sure if my save is usable, because it's on Steam :(.

I found hard okay for a first time. It got a bit harder, but didn't stop the flow, so the perfect training ground for Nightmare.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher

Fuuuck, sorry dude :-(. Not sure if my save is usable, because it's on Steam :-(.

I found hard okay for a first time. It got a bit harder, but didn't stop the flow, so the perfect training ground for Nightmare.

damn :( . I'll try begging elsewhere i guess.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Fuuuck, sorry dude :-(. Not sure if my save is usable, because it's on Steam :-(.

damn :( . I'll try begging elsewhere i guess.

Saves should be compatible.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Checked mine, all I have from Chapter VI is on nightmare and a while further in, but let me know if you want it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom