Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Zodiac Legion - X-COM and dungeons

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Throwing someone against an obstacle or character will make him "bounce" back, and cause 1 damage to him, but maybe it would be better if it could destroy the lighter obstacles?

Yes, any degree of interactivity is a plus, it makes the game feel less like a flat chess board. Of course in an ideal world we'd also have unique (death) animations for that..

If a character is thrown against a character, does the other character also take damage?
Not yet, but I will add it when I add furntiture destruction on knockback.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
What kind of swag do you have? Booth babes?
Bruh he's French. Dude probably has the entire cabaret with him.
That would be a good way to show our strong commitment to diversity. I got a commercial proposition for Gamescom hostess already, but without any pricing information whatsoever. Given how much Gamescom charge for renting a table, I don't think it would fit in the marketing budget.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
The booth next to me had a girl decapitating a stuffed rabbit. The competition was uneven (and physical exhibitions are not a great fit for complex games anyway).

It was weird and not very sound financially to go there mostly for the Steam event. So I actively tried to make it hard to play the game (and steal my stuff!), as I hate people playing 15 minutes to tell me it's not their genre.

But there were still cool moments, like someone make his friend wait for 30 minutes to complete the mission, a couple playing together discussing most moves, and a 12 year old kid having a horrible start(more by the UI than the AI, sadly), but winning with a single character left at 3 HP.

Ok, this is beginning to sound like That which sleeps...

So overall, for a niche game dev, Gamescom/commercial area is a bad financial operation (and I suppose it is true for non niche dev, unless they already have a very popular game), as you pay a lot for very little (in term of actual WL). Most of the WL seem to come from Steam (the looped video stream had 250 average viewers in the first two days, while I had 10 visits. I know Steam's streaming numbers are very optimistic, but still, that's not even close).

But I got to talk with cool devs from Ishtar (The last Spell), Owlcat, Goblinz and Hooded Horse, so in a way, it is an overpriced meetup combined with an overpriced steam event. It was also exhausting.

But there are ways to make it more effective (going to the business only area, with some government backing, or getting into the curated events).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The booth next to me had a girl decapitating a stuffed rabbit. The competition was uneven (and physical exhibitions are not a great fit for complex games anyway).

It was weird and not very sound financially to go there mostly for the Steam event. So I actively tried to make it hard to play the game (and steal my stuff!), as I hate people playing 15 minutes to tell me it's not their genre.

But there were still cool moments, like someone make his friend wait for 30 minutes to complete the mission, a couple playing together discussing most moves, and a 12 year old kid having a horrible start(more by the UI than the AI, sadly), but winning with a single character left at 3 HP.

So overall, for a niche game dev, Gamescom/commercial area is a bad financial operation (and I suppose it is true for non niche dev, unless they already have a very popular game), as you pay a lot for very little (in term of actual WL). Most of the WL seem to come from Steam (the looped video stream had 250 average viewers in the first two days, while I had 10 visits. I know Steam's streaming numbers are very optimistic, but still, that's not even close).

But I got to talk with cool devs from Ishtar (The last Spell), Owlcat, Goblinz and Hooded Horse, so in a way, it is an overpriced meetup combined with an overpriced steam event. It was also exhausting.

But there are ways to make it more effective (going to the business only area, with some government backing, or getting into the curated events).

Maybe bring the cabaret next time and see how it goes

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Maybe bring the cabaret next time and see how it goes

Actually, I am thinking about doing something even more extreme than my neighbour, the developer of Jupiter Moons Mecha, who told everyone interested in the game that the game was too complicated for Gamescom, and they should just play the Steam demo at home.
Only a single player managed to pass the persuasion check to try his game (on the hidden Steam deck the developer had brought).

The thing is, even with a super popular game and a cool booth, you cannot have that nearly enough players/square meter for the whole Gamescom.
So the main revenue comes from the Steam event.
But then, your booth really doesn't matter for that. So maybe next year, I'll just rent 0.25 square meter to get into the Steam event.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Thank you for the repost!

Secret doors and traps will have a "suspicious" flag that requires someone with scouting skills to check. A good part of them will be decoys. You can also check a trap by just ignoring it.

Then, to disarm traps (or lockpick, or do other complex actions like casting spells), you will have a "prolonged skill check".

These work almost like attack rolls: you roll as normal, and every die under your skill level is a success.

Each success over the target number is "added" to your success gauge, and when it reaches twice the target number, it is a success. The successes are kept between rounds, and you can have several characters contribute.

But rolling under the target number will have bad to catastrophic consequences (especially when casting a difficult spell).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
New installment of the suspicious tile series:

And here is the non Twitter version of the gif if you don't want to go there:
SpikeTrap.gif

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
You're one of the very few upcoming RPGs that's made for men. Celebrating strength, male armor fashion, intelligent strategy and tactics, sacrifice for greater Good, temptations of Evil, desire for conquest, masculine spirit found in Berserk. Stay Based

You'll find success on Steam, don't you worry. People are starved for real things. You look as real as it gets

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
You're one of the very few upcoming RPGs that's made for men. Celebrating strength, male armor fashion, intelligent strategy and tactics, sacrifice for greater Good, temptations of Evil, desire for conquest, masculine spirit found in Berserk. Stay Based

You'll find success on Steam, don't you worry. People are starved for real things. You look as real as it gets
Thank you! We just wanted to make a game from the good old times, but with tooltips :)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Thank you for the post!
Traps, secret doors have just been implemented, but not the associated UI elements for the skillcheck yet.
We will add several types of prolonged skillchecks in the future:
- magic, to disable or power a magical device up, or disable some magic seals, or just cast complex spells
- strength, like raising a portcullis manually lkie this guy:

- Skulduggery, for your generic dungeon needs.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
New demo build is up for Tacticon and Games Made in France.

Greeting commanders,
We are thrilled to showcase you the new elements we added in our demo build for Tacticon and Games made in France.
Traps and pressure plates can now be hidden on the ground.
5b5f89a237614ed481cfe054b209181ead163c2b.gif

And if you missed it, since the Gamescom build in late August, the AI can no pro-actively open doors to engage your party or reinforce an area.

As with every major update, this one probably broke a few things, so please excuse us in advance for the inconvenience.
I only had time to modify the prison (jailbreak) and cathedral (iconoclasm) level to add traps and secrets to them.

For Tacticon, I will have an interview with kormakrtv followed by a LP on Twitch tomorrow (8PM CEST)
twitch.tv/kormakrtv, or here on the TactiCon Steam page.

and with Games made in France on Saturday (11h30 PM CEST).
Thank you for your support, and may the stars shine on you.

You can now try playing with traps and secret doors.
I didn't have time to implement them exactly as I wanted, but the final system will be relatively close. We plan to make some complex lockpick/disarm last several turns, and the detection range of suspicious tiles will depend on the skulduggery stat of a character.

Steam page with demo build

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
It has been one month already!
So, I have been mostly busy catching up with taxes, and everything else I had to delay for these events, but I should be back to coding almost full time next week.
The dev play/interview from Tacticon is now live on youtube here:

I also need to choose between two variants of the key arts on Steam. I asked for a new one as the old one was not very readable, especially when scaled down:

ZL_Capsule_Main3.png

2_Illustration_Capsule_dentete_460x215px.jpg

Which one do you think would work best here?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
It has been one month already!
So, I have been mostly busy catching up with taxes, and everything else I had to delay for these events, but I should be back to coding almost full time next week.
The dev play/interview from Tacticon is now live on youtube here:

I also need to choose between two variants of the key arts on Steam. I asked for a new one as the old one was not very readable, especially when scaled down:

ZL_Capsule_Main3.png

2_Illustration_Capsule_dentete_460x215px.jpg

Which one do you think would work best here?

I prefer the dynamism of the old one.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not really feeling the new one, but it's more readable than the first. A less busy version of the first one would be good.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The second one is not as interesting, but it's more legible, and I think that's more important.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom