Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Zorbus (D&D-inspired roguelike)

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Joonas, Sep 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lagi Savant

Lagi
    but in Zorbus potions are based on Heretic the Serpent Riders, so all is halal
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    at this point deviating from red - hp, blue - mp is just confusing.

whats next, quick save on f9/10 and load on f5?

• Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Joonas Arcane Developer

Joonas
    Damn, I honestly didn't know that potion colors were standardized, but a quick Google image search proves that they very much are. I guess I've mostly played games that don't have icons for items or have just been ignorant. Actually, a young workmate (~25 yo) saw a screenshot of the game and said "the potion colors are wrong", but I probably just snorted and cleaned my monocle. I think at least some of the Baldur's Gate healing potions were blue?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Indeed, they were.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    pure healing were blue indeed in bg3, all the tiers.

Potions tend to match color of specific bar.
    Mana is blue - hence potion is blue too.
    So is red.
    If there is yellow stamina bar, potion will be yellow.

and I think thats it for standard. I guess colored bars made it standard. I bet felipepepe got few pages to share.

when I think of antidote it would be green. Poison is green/purple/black.

I Loved how in mm6 mixing potions would give you proper color, like red+blue = purple.

There is one game i can think of(unless i misremember things) that intentionally does it differently and thats unexplored. You might chose to go that route thinking about it.
    Each new run potions and effects pairings are randomized. You will never know what red potion does unless you identify it or drink.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. The Red Knight Liturgist

The Red Knight
    Albion has green, turquoise and blue healing potions (and red/violet/blue potions, that are dark orange, purple and navy blue respectively, for mana). Amulets & Armor it's purple/turquoise/grey. Earlier Vogel's games have weaker healing potions red and stronger turquoise (and the visually-related Realmz uses the reverse), though I think he later switched to using the round, orange mana potion icon for healing? NWN2 and Icewind Dale were blue too. Same for KotC2. And I recall seeing them blue in other games but don't remember where. Morrowind's color-coding was quality-related and on the greenish-blue side (but I think it was just the color of the bottle and not of the liquid?). Plus watery-purifying-good magic tends to be green/blue and fiery-evil-damaging magic red, if you want to attach some magical meaning to them.

Red=healing, blue=mana always felt boring/hack&slashy to me (and probably is some cargo cult involving diablo or wow). I'd say green potions alternating between healing, poison, antidote, stamina, regen, shield, and a myriad of other things in games that do rely on twitchy potion gulping, is the actual mildly annoying thing (with basic healing items you see/use them often enough that it doesn't matter how much they differ from what similar games may have used).

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    the standard has spoken

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Chaotic_Heretic Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Chaotic_Heretic
    GLORIOUS CLASSLESS ROGUELIKE.

Thanks Joonas

Could be longer though...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lagi Savant

Lagi
    agree, its time to abandon alcoholism. Let healing potions be an expensive precious, and minor healing be cover by some mundane item.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.