Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny GDC 2016 Previews

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
replayability... stronghold...

pick one.

Mortmal

Arcane
20 hours gameplay, its nearly nothing, we will spend more time posting about it than playing it ,by release date.

Thankfully, you'll have plenty of Fallout 4 DLC to enjoy this year.

Well i forgot to buy the season pass, i know its irresponsable , i should have preordered and enjoy many more hours of that monument of gaming but i was busy . Any bribe press reviews keys left for it ? You guys got so many amongst many other gifts by now, you could check and send one by pm since you are not planning to use it.

20 hours gameplay, its nearly nothing, we will spend more time posting about it than playing it ,by release date.

20 good hours is better than 40+ here and there.

That said, I can't get the reek of a "middlework" off this thing so I'm not at all certain it will actually be "20 good hours".

Of course it's more likely 20 hours , few CYOA choices here and there with copy pasted trash encounters.I know those guys arent the same but i remember on bioware forum , fans were complaining games used to take 80 hours to finish, modern games were too short . One of the dev answered it was because of filler encounters and if they wanted to do the same they could and get 80 hours games . As the result we got 50 hours games filled with trash encounters....Now 20 hours, i see a pattern

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Because of Obsidian's extensive catalog of turn-based games?

OK fine, there was ONE turn based game so far....
Real time or action real time combat is simply not working for them, they seem incapable of designing an engaging combat system.

Maybe it's time they tried their hand at isometric turn based combat? I mean, they have plenty of examples of good systems implemented even by first timers like styg and larian, and older but excellent work done in ToEE and kotc.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Feargus will NEVER, under any circumstance EVER allow Obsidian to fund and develop a turn based game, they just don't sell.

In this case however, it is being funded by Paradox. Apparently they were fine with RTwP.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
RtwP

I'm ashamed to ever trust Obsidian. Never again.

PoE combat is a boring abomination. Tranny on the same engine means that the combat will be similar. 2 + 2 = 4

Feargus will NEVER, under any circumstance EVER allow Obsidian to fund and develop a turn based game, they just don't sell.

In this case however, it is being funded by Paradox. Apparently they were fine with RTwP.

source?

sstacks

Arcane
In general, just want to comment I've gotten a bit tired of "gray" morality in RPGs. It's fantasy and escapism, I think it's totally fine to have clearly defined good and evil and not have to deal with moral ambiguity.

Fuck you! Go play Bethesda games, popamole lover!

It's telling that you left out the rest of my comment... "I'm not saying no games should be like that, they can be quite fun, just saying after a couple of decades of it I would enjoy a good old old fashioned clearly defined good vs evil in my fantasy."

Some people just like to watch themselves burn... :P

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
RtwP

I'm ashamed to ever trust Obsidian. Never again.

PoE combat is a boring abomination. Tranny on the same engine means that the combat will be similar. 2 + 2 = 4
No doubt it won't be great but I don't see how it being on the same engine affects that. It's not going to use the same mechanics.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It partly depends on why you don't like PoE's combat. By all appearances, this game is going to have some pretty active combat, with all these combos and lots of abilities acquired from quests and stuff. So if your problem with PoE was that it isn't IE-style "auto-attack w/ the occasional hard counter", run away fast.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Another accurate Roguey prediction. Obsidian's take on Dragon Age II. Button and awesome finally connected in Pillars of Eternity's tech.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Another accurate Roguey prediction. Obsidian's take on Dragon Age II. Button and awesome finally connected in Pillars of Eternity's tech.
:lol:

That's what I thought too. I guess without things like engagement and daily abilities it'll be a game where you can really just let AI do its thing.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2

Last time I checked, Divinity:Original Sin or Firaxis' XCOM were doing pretty fine sales-wise (proving TB combat systems don't necessarily scare away potential customers), but what do I know...

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Last time I checked, Divinity:Original Sin or Firaxis' XCOM were doing pretty fine sales-wise (proving TB combat systems don't necessarily scare away potential customers), but what do I know...

He never said Feargus was any bright though...

Azarkon

Arcane
You can do RtwP as long as you remember that it's RtwP and not "we want to do turn-based but aren't allowed to."

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

It's not so much a sales thing (though it is to some extent) as it is personal preference. He thinks turn based can be too slow.

Fairfax

Arcane

That's misleading. These are two of the most successful (western) turn-based games in recent years, and they're still very far from the numbers real-time games can do.
Other things to consider:
  • D:OS has a 6% completion rate, which is bad for business.
  • XCOM is not an RPG. TB RPGs drag on for much longer, while in a game like XCOM the TB combat is pretty much the game.
  • Paradox is very successful with their RTwP strategy games.
  • ARPGs outsell TB RPGs by tens of millions, and RTwP is the closest thing.
  • Codex is very vocal about turn-based, but the higher positions are pretty much dominated by Action/RTwP RPGs.
  • Turn-based combat can make or break a game. People are much more tolerant towards shitty combat mechanics in action/real-time based games, mostly because they don't take as long.
There will always be a market for both, but this is a considerable investment, and Paradox is obviously not interested in selling 500k copies or so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom