Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Multiplayer isn't inherently bad, you teenage pretend-fossils. Bad implementations are obviously undesirable, for the wasted potential and opportunity cost, but the idea itself of a multiplayer Fallout game is not bad.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'd like someone more autistic and obsessed with it to put a lot of thought into this, because I'm really not sure. Is Fallout a solitary experience? FO1-2 and FNV were the best and they're are all about being an individual. Is there something about the setting that makes it only work for single-player games? Or is there some hidden potential for a multiplayer game that hasn't been realized yet?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I'd like someone more autistic and obsessed with it to put a lot of thought into this, because I'm really not sure. Is Fallout a solitary experience? FO1-2 and FNV were the best and they're are all about being an individual. Is there something about the setting that makes it only work for single-player games? Or is there some hidden potential for a multiplayer game that hasn't been realized yet?

A Mount&Blade style designed game in the Fallout universe, with more writing and narrative, would be fucking awesome.
Being an individual isn't required, it just so happened that the best game in the series are more of a solo ride, and companions are useless shits. Could've been otherwise, and still could be.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Avellone's just trying to make a living man.

Are we talking about the same Chris Avellone who claimed on this very forum that he has enough money to survive 100 years without lifting a finger?
maybe he means living cost without luxuries like vacation or luxury items whatsoever.

Most people would take care of living expenses (and avellone is pretty smart it seems, he have enough money and managd them well enough to last and survive a lifetime plus funeral arrangement) but most people don't stop there. Unless you are a monk in vow or whatever, after taking care of food, and shelter, you want cars, watches, computers, 2 weeks vacation to the bahamas or wherever, go to michelin star restaurant, buy your mom and wife a gift, etc.

If people are content with food and shelter only then stop working when their lifetime is covered then most economic sector would collapse.

Other than that, if you are young you probably have to fill your time somehow. Even if you are loaded, idle hands are devil's plaything after all. Look at notch, all the money in the world, but he locked himself in a huge mansion, go to a party full of other rich strangers with and live a life with no purpose or connection. He is depressed hard.

ZeniBot

Cipher

Fallout is a solitary experience. The entire point of the first two games is being an outsider and having people take advantage of you. Its about being ignorant towards the dangers ahead and seeing how you survive that. This makes for a more compelling narrative. You immediately lose that when you allow players to team up with each other right at the start of the game as they're leaving the vault/village for the first time. This is also why Fallout Tactics is not the best example of a fallout game- yes it mechanically is fallout (though with one massive difference that ruins everything- which is being a real time game) but its missing everything that made the previous two titles interesting to play with- instead now you team up right from the start.

I make the case that Jagged Alliance was a more compelling game at the start during your Hobo phase, once you were rolling in money and had a team the game gets a bit wishy washy with how combat plays out and you have less of an interest in completing quests more interest in liberating areas, hunting enemy groups ect- sure I guess it makes sense for progression reasons but I'd argue its not as fun a roleplaying experience which is why Tactics failed as a Fallout title but succeeded as a Tactical strategy game in the same way JA2 did both games are very similar- though JA2 is the better.

I think Multiplayer Fallout isn't fallout and can't be fallout. I think the narrative tied to the gameplay makes it impossible to remove- which is why Fallout 76 doesn't work as a game- I mean hell even Tactics has more narrative.

Jesus Christ, guys. Chris loves Fallout. He probably would like to work on Fallout again at some point in his life. Bethesda owns the IP. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Bethesda would also ensure that what ever Chris did work on would be underfunded, rushed, buggy garbage. He will more than happily shit on Obsidian for this but Bethesda do it just as bad.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wherein I get to feel smug for never bothering with this terrible show/series of books.
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1122691119899262977

What garbage of an episode #GameofThones
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1122693845236326401

Please save this series in the books @GRRMspeaking

Some nice replies too.
You are one of the finest writers in your medium, Chris. Is this comment really the best you can do?
Write something better! Oh wait
So the people who hated Last Jedi have now moved on to Game of Thrones. Okay then.

Cael

Arcane
Wherein I get to feel smug for never bothering with this terrible show/series of books.
I know of GRRM and his superciliously arrogant "I wrote myself into a hole and must spend the next 2 years thinking of a way to dig myself out of it" nonsense (just admit you were burnt out and needed a break, you fat fuck!). Books, banned; TV series, not going to bother.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I know of GRRM and his superciliously arrogant "I wrote myself into a hole and must spend the next 20 years thinking of a way to dig myself out of it" nonsense (just admit you were burnt out and needed a break, you fat fuck!). Books, banned; TV series, not going to bother.
Fixed it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Anyone who watched the episode, wasn't that music at the end the same music in ME3's ending? :P
Oh man, what if they go all ME3 on GoT and pull an ending out of their ass that makes no sense, completely invalidates all the drama in the series so far and basically comes out of nowhere? The global butthurt level would go off the scale!

Quillon

Arcane

How do you know especially the books are terrible if you've never bothered with them?

Dv7luRIVYAAEhqe.jpg

Prime Junta

I follow GoT like I follow the news. There was some interesting shit in the gossip column about the previous episode, and apparently a battle was fought in this one, and nobody died. Nobody that matters anyway.

Deleted member 7219

Chris Avellone being a butthurt little bitch is nothing new. He's been like that for years, ever since Obsidian threw him out on his ass.

As for Game of Thrones, I'm looking forward to GRRM finishing ASOAF exactly the same way as the TV series and butthurting even more internet crybabies. The episode was poorly lit, and some things made no sense (Dothraki charging to their deaths, shitty tactics), but Arya taking down the Night King was the best part of the episode, probably one of the best things in the entire series so far, totally didn't expect it.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MCA should prostitute himself out as a gaming meme creator if he's ever short of work. He could make a living out of that last GOT episode alone. Arya not needing a high hide in shadows skill check because of the lighting, if Jon Snow was playing GOT as a game he'd be a save-scummer, the two guys who did that episode obviously never player a Total War game; and clearly don't know what cavalry was for if they did, when you take your spear wielding units into battle against undead, when you send your animal companion against a whole army...holy fuck, it was endless.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Arya taking down the Night King was the best part of the episode, totally didn't expect it.

Then you're fucking deaf because she literally gets told to take down the Night King by another character 3 minutes earlier.

I thought that would just mean she would take down a few of his generals, not the Night King himself. Because that would likely have been executed in the dumbest way possible. And it was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom