Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Code Vein - new action RPG from God Eater devs at Bandai Namco

Jinn

Arcane
Halfway through Anor Londo. A lot of people complain about this place but I don't think it's all that bad so far. Lots of new enemies, plenty of resources and I'm finally getting competent at the game.

I'm also interested to see where the story goes, I just started a flashback part. I like how these character bits are tied to skills via vestiges, so you have a vested interest in both rather than them being separate elements that

Wrong thread?

EDIT: Oh, I get it. It's the Anor Londo clone of the game.

Puukko

Arcane
Nope.

r41SyOy.jpg

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I guess if you're a Suckiro fan, I could see why you would think Souls has run its course.

Machocruz

Arcane
Just to be clear here, if an architect copies the original building, he's creative, but if he copied it from a video game he's a hack, right?

Yes and no

To be clear, there is no original Anor Londo to copy. A copy is a wholesale reproduction of a thing done in the same or similar medium, not parts taken and rearranged here and there in an entirely different medium. The production design team referenced real life architecture from various sources to create a single structure that doesn't exist in real life, in entirely different medium. Unless somewhere out there are cathedrals with rotating platforms powered by giant levers, with the exact same placement of every spire, walkway, and window, of the same scale, illuminated by a perpetually setting sun, etc.

An artist working in any kind of mimetic visual art is not only supposed to be inspired by real life first and foremost, if his work is to have any chance of originality (not in the sense of being the first of its kind ever, which is nearly impossible) or authenticity, he can hardly do otherwise. There is nothing that he can come up with that his observable universe hasn't provided in some way, even working in fantasy. If there were no reality to observe or we could not observe it, there would be no such art at all. The charge of copying or ripping off cannot be leveled at him. There is no choice in the matter unless mankind's powers of visualization and conception were to change.

To be fair, without having seen to the degree which the environment is the same in Code Vein, I can't damn it as hack work or say they ripped off or copied anyone. But it's suspect considering how influenced they are by Dark Souls. But it would be hacky if they did straight put Anor Londo into their game, and any concept design instructor or high level professional would vomit at the thought, and even referencing other's work as your starting point is generally frowned upon, for various reasons. To me, your comment suggested there is parity between sourcing real life and rubber stamping from another person's work, the former justifying the latter, and I passionately disagree. But if both games did replicate an actual location 1 to 1, then yeah, fair game.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, assuming the Souls formula had never existed and this is a completely new game out of the blue, is it good?

Puukko

Arcane
Yes, I can recommend it. Lots of gameplay variety. It's a mid budget game though so not all areas of the game get the same treatment - the enemy variety is mediocre and the soundtrack isn't long enough for the game - I thought the opening music was neat, and then they proceeded to reuse it 20 times so far. But the good easily outweighs the meh.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
So when is the *ahem* CPY/CODEX/STEAMPUNKS version coming out? (It's a collector's edition, for those who don't know).

Puukko

Arcane
Last time I waited for a weeb game with Denuvo to get cracked, it was VC4 which took 4 months and I ended up buying it rather than waiting.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hm... I'm starting to itch for a Souls-type game. Nioh was pretty awesome. Skipped Sekiro, as it doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

But there appear to be 2 new titles: this and The Surge 2. Did some of you try both already? Which do you consider better? Which has more varied and interesting mechanics & character+gear progression?

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I didn't play Surge 2, nor 1. I just don't find them interesting at all. Sekiro is now my absolute favorite From title.
I'd rather play a From Software title than another "-like".
I'm really interested in Code Vein though. From what I've seen it has a bunch of possible builds, weapons, armors, plus you can make hot chicks, watched a few build videos (you should watch the dark mage build video from Fextralife)...yeah, looking forward to this, just, you know, have to wait a little for the "special" edition to come out.
Also weapon upgrades, upgrade materials, lots of stats, interesting premise and story, basically DkS just with vampires. I haven't watched a playthrough yet so I can't comment on what else is in the game outside of what was shown in trailers or news, or demos.

Puukko

Arcane
That covers it pretty well. The number of classes and the ability to mix and match skills from them means there is a lot of build variety, of which I've only scraped the surface due to personal preferences/autism. The later skills get pretty crazy and this certainly has Souls beat in the magic department - I've got a skill that fully heals me and boosts my stats but causes me to inevitably die in a couple minutes, and I love the skill that causes my character to vanish for a second and land on the enemy, which is great to not only dodge but also close the gap and deal damage. I like how the skills are also tied to major and minor story characters.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I got the full game...but I'm gonna need a guide or walkthrough or something. I'm overwhelmed by all the options...upgrade. transform, weapon choices, leveling, mastery, gifts, codes, veils, etc... I've looked at the vendors several times, I just can't understand the system, what's important, what's not, etc...what to sell, what to keep, what to trade.

It all seems very confusing to me.

Zep--

cruel

Cipher
So... does it look like the second best Souls-like game not created by From? Maybe not including Nioh, which holds first spot probably

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom