Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Well, it is a great game, but a bit short at 20-30 hours - unless you want to replay with a different build and act like a crazy mofo.
20-30 hours are not so bad. And I thought that playing with different builds was supposed to provide completely different outcomes so replays are welcome etc
It's pretty bad for an RPG, but sounds about average for a modern adventure game (sadly).

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not even halfway finished (beginning of Wednesday after 12 hours) but I'm having enough fun with it that a short playtime will disappoint me but not make me regret the buy.

Overall I'd say, from the point I'm at right now, the game isn't entirely as good as the hype made me hope, but it's still pretty damn great. Then again, when does anything ever live up to its hype?

Still some of the best writing and characters I've ever seen in a game, and the roleplaying options for your character are great.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Well, it is a great game, but a bit short at 20-30 hours - unless you want to replay with a different build and act like a crazy mofo.
20-30 hours are not so bad. And I thought that playing with different builds was supposed to provide completely different outcomes so replays are welcome etc
It's pretty bad for an RPG, but about average for a modern adventure game (sadly).

30 hours for an rpg are ok. Also in what world did adventure games average 30 hours, ever?

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
Just don't lie to the paying customer, that's called fraud

https://zaumstudio.com/2019/09/24/disco-elysium-is-a-colossal-game/

"How long is a colossal game? Well, it takes 60+ hours of continuous playtime to finish Disco Elysium if you’re a reasonably completionist player, as I am. It takes 90 hours if you’re absolutely savouring every detail. And 30 hours if you’re rushing it. Back-of-the-box, I would put playtime at: 60+ hours."

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

"How long is a colossal game? Well, it takes 60+ hours of continuous playtime to finish Disco Elysium if you’re a reasonably completionist player, as I am. It takes 90 hours if you’re absolutely savouring every detail. And 30 hours if you’re rushing it. Back-of-the-box, I would put playtime at: 60+ hours."
That's probably an estimate taking into consideration that modern player is a complete shit at reading letters which form sentences longer than three words.

Terenty

Liturgist

Dude, i agree that saying the game is 60+ hours after a lot of play testing, while in reality its 30 is wrong. But you better play the game first and then raise a stink it will sound more convincing.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, okay, but seriously, how can anyone truthfully claim that this game while in completionist mode is 90 hours. If by that you mean It will take 90 hours to discover each dialogue option with each possible character configuration then, come on, that is insincere and you know that. I would estimate a truly completionist run at around 40 to max 50 hours, and I estimate that for an average reader (who’s not a slowpoke at counting letters nor a big brain Chad). I do read very fast so I guess my 24 hours are at an average for one, highly complete run.

EDIT: I know that is says there that completionist run is 60+ hours (so 70 I take...?), but come on, what else that claim 'bout details and 90 hours means.

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I mulled over my playthrough. I went 3333 with focus on Savoir Faire. Kinda rushed it at 20 hours, I pumped shivers for that legendary check instead of doing side stuff.
Savoir Faire was super disappointing. I looked for ways to use it and found what, 3 checks? One hidden behind that legendary shivers check. And none of those were particularly entertaining. I laughed when the teleportation happened, but I can't really praise that. The voice didn't show up much either.
Otherwise the run was great, 3333 really gives you a shot at everything. I passed most of the white checks I wanted. I found myself putting spare points in perception and visual calculus. Feels like these two tied the build together and made the case solvable. That and clothes. And drugs.
The Thought Cabinet felt like a mixed bag. Some of the thoughts were like "yep, that's one skill point in the gutter", while others like white mourning or 15th indotribe felt 100% worth it just for the flavor text. It's an interesting tool for shaping the gameplay for sure, but overall I didn't find it very enjoyable to use.
Politics stuff felt kinda tacked on. Doesn't feel like I got a good read on its function in the story at all. Could just be me, I can't say I enjoy the topic.
By the end my favourite skill was the Half Light. It was very memorable whenever it showed up. Felt good to use. I'll be pumping it high next time.
The game is pretty revolutionary in how it handles... everything. Not sure if I'd like to see more like it though. It's the amazing writing that makes it work, and when it doesn't the design kinda stumbles and falls apart. Truly a finely crafted experience.

Mortmal

Arcane
Finally done ,25 hours only yes ,did most side quests ,everything i could complete with my build .But i am old and slow and in no better shape than the main protagonist someone probably could finish lot faster . There's some replayability i guess but once you know the end of a thriller , theres not much point to reread it. Its far from the 90 hours advertised indeed, but in fact longer than many modern rpgs. There's no trash fights (no real fight) at all, its 100% hand made content. There's stuff ticking for less hours than that in my steam library , t while being filled with trash encounters with no tactical depth whatsoever. So i dont have the feeling they stole my money. A really good adventure game with some heavy rpg elements .
Now hope the sales are not catastrophic and we can expect more stories coming in the next years.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
There's some replayability i guess but once you know the end of a thriller , theres not much point to reread it.
That's why I've decided to do three simultaneous playthroughs with different characters. You can explore one section of the game in different ways before moving forward, and it feels like a single playthrough.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
How long does it take for the average console button masher who can't even be bothered to capitalize his own name?
probably under 30 hours, and a handheld game required more brainpower than disco probably does, because you had to actually overcome an enemy instead of changing pants to beat a skill check, that game was called final fantasy tactics and it blows most of the games you guys hold dear out of the water

by the way my lack of capitalization is just me being normal, i'm not forced to use grammar, this isnt a college class, i'm just talking to intellectually impaired people on the internet

Duraframe300

Arcane
How long does it take for the average console button masher who can't even be bothered to capitalize his own name?
probably under 30 hours, and a handheld game required more brainpower than disco probably does, because you had to actually overcome an enemy instead of changing pants to beat a skill check, that game was called final fantasy tactics and it blows most of the games you guys hold dear out of the water

by the way my lack of capitalization is just me being normal, i'm not forced to use grammar, this isnt a college class, i'm just talking to intellectually impaired people on the internet

Name checks out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom