Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games for people with depression

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The roommate anecdote reminds me of how when I had taken Ambien I wandered into my sleeping roommate's room naked because Ambien-me was annoyed by all the people having a party in his room. In reality the room was empty except for my sleeping roommate, but outside of the door I heard the loudest party with tons of visitors and clinking glasses...

Vatnik Wumao
If you are saying that your ability to deal with emotions is ~15% reduced, big fucking deal.
if i cut your feet i'm cutting 15% of your ability to move but actually i'm cutting your ability to walk by 100%.
I prefer cutting 15% of his heart out as comparison.
Doesn't apply either way. Unless you are willing to fully deny the existence of free will in other people (and thus treat them as mindless meatbags), then that 15% off can be compensated through one's character. To take the particular case of a heightened fight or flight response, the greater your innate fear - the greater the courage you must cultivate.

You can argue the opposite and that's fine by me as well, but you should be also willing to accept its logical conclusions then. If dealing with fear is also a product of genetics and thus whether one is a coward or not is solely genetic as well given a normal fight or flight response, then you should disregard the self-agency of others. There is no virtue in being brave, honorable, compassionate or what have you if all of these precede one's will.

Arguing for genetic predispositions is one thing, arguing for genetic determinism another.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Okay, Codex, tell me about some good RPGs!

Codex: but WHAT IS RPG?

Okay, Codex, tell me what to play when in depression?

Codex: but WHAT IS DEPRESSION?

fucking Delphian oracle, not gaming site.

Vatnik Wumao
I need to overcome my disco and replay disco.
Amen.
DxhO6WX.png

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
(And no, all my diagnoses are 'real', by multiple doctors each, re-diagnosed years apart. -- I'm not detailing what I went through to end up this way, but it comes across as kinda arrogant to tell me it's bs without the faintest idea of its reality. I had to prove this stuff to get my permanent visa, and Australian immigration does everything it possibly can to kick you out. So if I passed that test, there's very little out there that will dismiss my experiences as fake or exaggerated.

Well tbh bro, I cannot judge if the story of some stranger is true or false. I never heard before you can measure the size of the emotional clusters in the human brain, but maybe I should have my brain measured too. They would probably find that my emotional cell structure is completely gone.

I can only say that I think the majority of such cases are exagerated. In fact the vast majority of people hate going to work and are under extreme psychological stress at the workplace, if we could all become medical invalids by a neurological test, 90% of the population could realize they are entitled to one too.

Most convenient that it got you the permanent visa in Australia, glad it worked out for you. But well as I said, I cannot judge your story and should stay neutral. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not, I'll never find out.

Burning Bridges

Okay, Codex, tell me about some good RPGs!

Codex: but WHAT IS RPG?

Okay, Codex, tell me what to play when in depression?

Codex: but WHAT IS DEPRESSION?

fucking Delphian oracle, not gaming site.

Well we made suggestions but the OP ran off after 2 posts.

I would suggest Car Mechanic Simulator. It's a very relaxing game in which you take cars from the junkyard and turn them into real museum pieces. Like other builder games you actually make things instead of destroying them, and can then show them to others. I find it very rewarding, both irl as in the game.

Vatnik Wumao
Speaking of non-violent games, I'd also recommend the Tropico series. Great soundtrack, great tongue-in-cheek political humor, decent citybuilder.

Tropico-6-First-Impression-03.jpg

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Most convenient that it got you the permanent visa in Australia, glad it worked out for you. But well as I said, I cannot judge your story and should stay neutral. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not, I'll never find out.

Not quite, I got it because being messed up proved the DV in my former marriage (with an Australian). I find this degree of radical scepticism odd ... like there's documentary evidence. It may not be the kinda thing one immediately shares with any demanding stranger, but more to the point what does anyone have to gain about lying about their mental illness online? Ain't no disability benefits to it (which I should claim but don't). If your congratulations are sincere, then thank you; I still have to properly make use of it, but I believe it'll finally give me a chance to stop running and heal.

Speaking of non-violent games, I'd also recommend the Tropico series. Great soundtrack, great tongue-in-cheek political humor, decent citybuilder.
Should've known you'd be involved in aligning island nations with the USSR. I really liked the original as a kid, but I can't really make out what's changed? Like what distinguishes the later entries in the series from each other?

Off Magnat's thinking, a game in a similar vein: Frostpunk, RTS/citybuilder where the only enemy is the cold. Beautiful OST. Same devs as This War of Mine, can be a breath of fresh away from fake smiles, or simply a reminder of what one has.

EA4qcaf.jpg

xBsaJ7j.png

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Not being a whiny bitch helps a lot and playing games in which your cool dude slays monsters and gets awesome treasures helps a lotter
Says the whiny bitch whining about the whiny bitch whining.

You played yourself, kid.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Ah, the 'just toughen up lol' brainlets finally arrived. I started worrying already.

Don't mind Maxie, he hasn't had his dog treats this morning and finds any sign of human authenticity upsetting.

Well, that's already in the domain of psychiatry and thus therapy represents a valid medical practice. Therapy as some sort of self-improvement™ on the other hand is just a means through which snake oil salesmen with a degree in psychology make a living off gullible fools.

I guess I'm just confused where one can actiually draw a useful line to separate one from the. I didn't post about my own shit for its own sake so much as that when I was a tween or whatever, it presented itself less seriously, but not getting it attended to then contributed to me becoming a Certified Crazy. (Where I grew up they didn't diagnose it because they didn't have anyone to treat it and wanted to avoid bad statistics, lol...)

This may be the case in truly brain damaged persons, but it's still not clear what this means for the majority of people, whose brain is just a little fucked up. I personally think the vast majority of self-diagnosed PTSD cases, especially if they are very young and completely healthy, mostly just need a good excuse to not participate in life like kids who could skip physical education because they had a "bad back". They are afraid to move out and instead of pushing them, psychologist industry allows them to stay at home.

There have been many people who have only half a brain and lead a completely normal life, it may look like this

21283782-0-image-m-3_1574326158878.jpg

The brain has so many cells that it's complete overkill and in most cases it adapts to damage. It may be beyond repair in some cases, but general explanations for lifelong non-performance based purely on variations in brain mass and tissue are not convincing.

If you are saying that your ability to deal with emotions is ~15% reduced, big fucking deal. There are huge differences in the amount and quality of emotions and pleasure people can experience. Some people just got better or worse cards and everyone finds their own balance. That means even a depressed person can normally lead a life if they do no more than they can handle. But they often decide that they cannot handle anything, and that is a big lie. I just don't buy it if 20 something year olds decide their life is already over.

Trauma and illness can be related but are not the same thing. Ergo, your argument is invalid.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Some suggestions. Mortal Kombat, exorcise some of your rage. Adventure Games like Sam & Max Hit the Road, most of them are old and/or aimed at kids, but I guess they could be fun and relaxing. Supreme Commander 2, you can't be depressed when 100% of your attention is on producing robots. Any good RPG that isn't gritty. Not my area of expertise but anything Final Fantasy ish comes to mind. Again it is good to be absorbed by something to take your mind off it. Age of Wonders 3, I get lost in that game for days... Even if I promise myself I will just play an hour, I always find myself still saying just one more turn, 3 days later with a beard. Space Rangers 2, awesome. Cities: Skylines, I don't really like building games but most other people love them and it can be very therapeutic. Portal and the sequel, don't play if you get frustrated by puzzles, but if you are up for a challenge give them a go, very fun.

All good for escaping and getting some peace of mind. It is good for you. But it is important to do other stuff as well like try various healthy foods and do some intense exercise. Also sunlight helps some people.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Not quite, I got it because being messed up proved the DV in my former marriage (with an Australian). I find this degree of radical scepticism odd ... like there's documentary evidence.

Can't speak for others, but I think depending on your where you are from there are varying degree's of acceptance of mental afflictions as really real and if you don't have three levels of doctor certificates people will believe you're faking it to some degree or other. Thought I think it's also an age think, older generation are usually more of the, you have to toughen it out, keep it together, don't talk about it or even show it, whereas younger people are more open about it these days, talking and accepting it

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
@ Grauken: sounds very unsurprisingly American, but it's not as if this didn't involve written submissions from my GP and psychologist prior to their 'forensic' psych's interview. (And a very specific kind of legal statement at that, not just a note saying 'she's not doing so hot'.)

Games for balance: fast, addictive, distracting, Dead Cells. Good for venting frustration. If you already know Dead Cells, then check out ScourgeBringer.

howlingFantods

Learned
Two things that have helped me

1. In Dante's Divine Comedy the exit from Hell is at the center of Hell. The very act of trying to get out of depression is depression. Be okay with being depressed, go right to the center of it, and it will leave in due time. If you skirt Hell and try to get away from it, you will wander perpetually around the exit.

2. Fulfilling work: Good at programming? Make a game. Good at writing? Write a story. Good at nothing? Becoming skilled in anything is just a matter of time investment. There are plenty of books out there on every skill imaginable.

But you asked for a game so I'd suggest playing a game with an active community. Maybe Magic the Gathering as it helped my friend through a tough time.

Burning Bridges

Thought I think it's also an age think, older generation are usually more of the, you have to toughen it out, keep it together, don't talk about it or even show it, whereas younger people are more open about it these days, talking and accepting it

That much is correct. My to willingness to believe people who claim they cannot be expected to work and do unpleasant things is getting lower every year.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Thought I think it's also an age think, older generation are usually more of the, you have to toughen it out, keep it together, don't talk about it or even show it, whereas younger people are more open about it these days, talking and accepting it

That much is correct. My to willingness to believe people who claim they cannot be expected to work and do unpleasant things is getting lower every year.

Not really lot of these people ("who are faking depression") in the countries such as Russia where you don't have unemployment money from government (well, technically you do have, but it is like $15/month).

Vatnik Wumao

Not really lot of these people ("who are faking depression") in the countries such as Russia where you don't have unemployment money from government (well, technically you do have, but it is like $15/month).
As previously mentioned, faking depression isn't solely about gibs. It's also about justifying one's lack of ambition, work ethic and what have you. Much easier to cry about depression than to admit to yourself and others that you are a lazy piece of shit.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

As previously mentioned, faking depression isn't solely about gibs. It's also about justifying one's lack of ambition, work ethic and what have you. Much easier to cry about depression than to admit to yourself and others that you are a lazy piece of shit.

hey, Russian, why are killing yourself and not work even harder to earn 547683920 times less than your boss? lazy bitch.

tajnye-vojny-kremlevskikh-gruppirovok-glava-rosnefti-igor-sechin-prazdnuet-ocherednuyu-pobedu.jpg

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

hey, Russian, why are killing yourself and not work even harder to earn 547683920 times less than your boss? lazy bitch.

tajnye-vojny-kremlevskikh-gruppirovok-glava-rosnefti-igor-sechin-prazdnuet-ocherednuyu-pobedu.jpg

this thread have gone seriously off the rails

Vatnik Wumao

False equivalence. Depression, when (wrongly) self-diagnosed, is most often a cope for not accomplishing what you'd like to achieve in your life (socially, financially etc) because of moral deficiencies, chief of which is laziness.

And since y'all seem to think that I'm promoting some sort of black and white view of things, I should emphasize that I acknowledge the value of leisure.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

False equivalence. Depression, when (wrongly) self-diagnosed, is most often a cope for not accomplishing what you'd like to achieve in your life (socially, financially etc) because of moral deficiencies, chief of which is laziness.

And since y'all seem to think that I'm promoting some sort of black and white view of things, I should emphasize that I acknowledge the value of leisure.

And I want to tell you that people who have no outside-of-capitalist-realism interests in life AND are not designed to be top-dogs in this system ARE inevitably vulnerable to the despair. However you want to call it. How can you not, when the watch of your boss costs your 10-year salary but to reduce losses he will not sell his watch but fire you.

Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt Euch!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom