Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Elex

Arbiter
Reading the AMA was interesting. A lot of people seem to be bothered by the same shit I'm bothered by -- the goofy third person dialog choice, questions about party size, the look of the characters, the overly-animated . . . animations. To his credit it appears Swen is sticking to his guns. They're not changing the dialog style, he didn't answer questions about party size (that I can see), and he defended the super-hero jumps by claiming they were spiced up that way to enable "seeing them" better which, between you and me, I don't really believe. But whatever.
he have told that somewhere they have the toned down effect maybe is something they can put as an option.

jackofshadows

Magister
he defended the super-hero jumps by claiming they were spiced up that way to enable "seeing them" better which, between you and me, I don't really believe.
From single player perspective - it's hard to beleive, indeed. From coop/stream perspective on the other hand...

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
BG1 capping at a lower level was a great design decision. There are many things to be butthurt about in BG3, this isn't one of them as far as I'm concerned.
Leveling as a pure warrior in BG1 was super fun.
HP increased by x
THAC0 reduced by 1.
That's it.
I would never play through Kingmaker with a pure fighter as main character. Yet, I play through BG1 with a pure fighter once every couple of years

Shadenuat

Arcane
your weapon is broken
so buy 3 more
die to ogre
die to hobgoblins
kill flaming fist faggot, get his plate mail
kill enough gibberlings, sell enough blood stones to get +1 sword
skeletons. your +1 sword doesn't work.
die to poison spiders
die to poison traps
buy ton of antidotes
smash those nashkel mines
mustard jelly - your weapon doesn't work
reload 5 times, finally kill asshole with Varscona +2
sell all companion stuff. buy full plate.
feel like a god. but carry a bow anyway.
run prebuffed with protection from fire into swarm of enemies with boots of haste, party members throw explosive potions on u
solo whole firewine ruins just because.
an ogre mage. your weapon doesn't work. outlast them with 2 mag res potions.
wolverine. weapon doesn't work. again.
kill the shit with a fucking butterknife. A BUTTERKNIFE--
+3 bastard is against shifters. but +4 gold sword is against lycanthropes. THIS IS SOMEHOW IMPORTANT.
wrestle durlag level 1 boss in melee and die in 3 rounds.
wrestle sarevok and die in 1 round.
50% total party xp.
500 enemies killed.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Level range of pubblished 5e campaigns:

starter set: 1-5
hoard of the dragon queen: 1-7
the rise of tiamat: 8-15 (second part of hoard)
elemental evil: 1-15
rage of demons: 1-15
curse of strahd: 1-10
Storm King's Thunder: 1-11
tales of the yawing portal: 1-14
Tomb of Annihilation 1-11
Waterdeep dragon heist: 1-5
waterdeep dungeon of the mad mage 5-20
Ghosts of Saltmarsh 1-12
Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus 1-13

only 10% of D&D player actually play above lvl 10.

dnd-beyond-level-range.jpg

the 0% levels–these aren’t levels with nobody making characters in them, just that they’re statistically insignificant out of the hundreds of thousands of characters they sifted through to mine all the data.
Good thing bg3 is a video game. A video game where you don't have to keep track of ever growing numbers, don't have to keep a schedule with 4 other people long enough to justify level 20, don't have to sit while the mage goes through a bunch of spells figuring out how each one works and the intricacies involved.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
and he defended the super-hero jumps by claiming they were spiced up that way to enable "seeing them"

and his statement is a measure of how good is he at bullshitting.

and level cap is at 10 because there will be DLCs to buy afterwards. it's not a decision driven by wise design choice, you slurping Larian faggots.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
A lot of old devs there,i wouldn't be surprised if some of them kicks it during the pandemic.
This whole thing just proves how incapable the majority (all?) of countries are at educating its citizens and spreading verified and useful information during a virus outbreak, relying instead on letting panic take hold and shutting down institutions and closing borders. What a circus.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Storm King's Thunder: 1-11
Tomb of Annihilation 1-11

Heh, I wanted to write that PnP people had a good idea about lvl 11 being better cut-off tham lvl 10 since it is extra attack at 11 BAB and extra spell level.
Then I decided to check how BAB actually works here only to find out that BAB progression was axed and all classes in 5e has identical progression for attack bonus and saves through Proficiency bonus that depends only on character level.
Such a deep system, never fails to impress!

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
and he defended the super-hero jumps by claiming they were spiced up that way to enable "seeing them"

and level cap is at 10 because there will be DLCs to buy afterwards. it's not a decision driven by wise design choice, you slurping Larian faggots.
If there is a sequel or expansion that highers the level cap, all of a sudden these sell out Larian cucks will see the benefits of high level characters in a video game and will be super excited about it. I get in table top sometimes you don't want to get bogged down by it all but in a video game I would like to flex the abilities that are there but I never get to use in PNP.

Thonius

Arcane
Uninspiring.... 10 level max? Ugh this is a CRPG guys, 15th is a minimum here, unless they want to milk it hard. Oh wait they will 10th level BG3 15th level DLC 20 lvl DLC2+3.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A lot of old devs there,i wouldn't be surprised if some of them kicks it during the pandemic.
This whole thing just proves how incapable the majority (all?) of countries are at educating its citizens and spreading verified and useful information during a virus outbreak, relying instead on letting panic take hold and shutting down institutions and closing borders. What a circus.
Yes,democracy is cancerous government that allows only unworthy people to get to power by lying and cheating. Still you can't educate people on that shit,people are pretty dumb in generally. The worst is the west where they are still dumb but think themself smart. Telling people to have a drink of alcohol once or twice a day would have had a lot of better effect than all that hysteria.

Elex

Arbiter

If there is a sequel or expansion that highers the level cap, all of a sudden these sell out Larian cucks will see the benefits of high level characters in a video game and will be super excited about it. I get in table top sometimes you don't want to get bogged down by it all but in a video game I would like to flex the abilities that are there but I never get to use in PNP.
You get to use them, but when 4 lvl 13 character kill yeenoghu in 2 turns players at the table feel their character story arc is complete and they think about new characters.

the power level of 5e character is superior to older editions characters at the same level.
The tiamat campaign end at 15 because 4 character at 15 kill tiamat.

4 lvl 20 5e character are the equivalent of lvl 30-40 of older editions.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes,democracy is cancerous government that allows only unworthy people to get to power by lying and cheating.

and at the opposite pole of worthiness what is?

open a history book and educate yourself before spewing dumb shit and you will find out that lying and cheating is universal.

Telling people to have a drink of alcohol once or twice a day would have had a lot of better effect than all that hysteria.
I hope you get the virus and you'll be the sole person on the planet where the only symptom is the swelling of the brain with the side effect of increased IQ afterwards.
It's your only chance to get well.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom