Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Anime Is there any mod that makes Quake 2 not suck?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by catfood, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Ash Arcane

Ash
    I agree Unreal's combat is not up to scratch, and its level design does have mediocre moments especially early on, but later things get epic from time to time on a scale that Quake probably doesn't ever achieve. I have a boner for Chizra Water Temple, the Sunspire, Nali Castle, Nali Sanctuary Town among others.

^ Top  
  2. Maggot Erudite Patron

Maggot
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    For the sake of furthering the discussion here is a list of some (but not all as it's missing slope jumping) tricks you can use in Q2.
    https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Quake_II
    Some example jumps on the most popular map.

An example of jumps being used during an actual match.

Whether or not you care about these physics is a moot point when just about anyone playing Quake 1-Live will know the tricks of their respective game and use it to their advantage. This is not up for debate.
    Also interesting little article:
    https://people.freebsd.org/~danfe/Quake%20II%20Physics.pdf

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Viata Arcane

Viata
    I miss playing Quake online. I sucked, but I still loved that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Master Learned

Master
    Slope jumping? I noticed lots of those sloped walls everywhere.

^ Top  
  5. Unreal Learned

Unreal
    Allowing and having such things in general isn't a problem, but the individual tricks are not of great importance in themselves. They never were a intentional feature of the design, and simply not having those particular behaviours is not valid grounds to dismiss a game. The overall quality matters more than a peripheral detail like that. Quake 3's movement felt better anyway, but I guess it's shit because lol no dubble jamp. :roll:

^ Top  
  6. Venser Savant

Venser
    To me killing enemies in Q2 feels super satisfying, especially with shotgun and I love sounds in the game. I prefer to play it on lower res so everything looks grainy, just like it looked when I played it back in the day. High res doesn't do the Q2 atmosphere any good. I used to love single player as a kid but now it's just damn too easy and I can't play through it in any other way than speedrunning. Multiplayer is still good although I prefer the other Quake games. If anyone wants to try it, here's everything you need to play multiplayer: http://q2s.tastyspleen.net/
    Don't even need to own the game; demo, patch and upgraded client is all you need for full multiplayer experience

^ Top  
  7. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth

This already looks better than nuDOOM and all the other modern shooters.

Man I'd kill if the Dark Engine games (Thief) would be able to get such a raytracing treatment.

• Agree x 3
    • incline x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. majorsoccer Prospernaut Shitposter

majorsoccer
    Quake 2 is shit ! soundtrack is 80% of the game,play DOOM or Quake 1 instead.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    Yep, that was my conclusion as well.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)