Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Anime Is there any mod that makes Quake 2 not suck?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by catfood, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Ash Arcane

Ash
    I agree Unreal's combat is not up to scratch, and its level design does have mediocre moments especially early on, but later things get epic from time to time on a scale that Quake probably doesn't ever achieve. I have a boner for Chizra Water Temple, the Sunspire, Nali Castle, Nali Sanctuary Town among others.

^ Top  
  2. Maggot Prophet Patron

Maggot
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    For the sake of furthering the discussion here is a list of some (but not all as it's missing slope jumping) tricks you can use in Q2.
    https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Quake_II
    Some example jumps on the most popular map.

An example of jumps being used during an actual match.

Whether or not you care about these physics is a moot point when just about anyone playing Quake 1-Live will know the tricks of their respective game and use it to their advantage. This is not up for debate.
    Also interesting little article:
    https://people.freebsd.org/~danfe/Quake%20II%20Physics.pdf

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Viata Arcane

Viata
    I miss playing Quake online. I sucked, but I still loved that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Master Arbiter

Master
    Slope jumping? I noticed lots of those sloped walls everywhere.

^ Top  
  5. Unreal Learned

Unreal
    Allowing and having such things in general isn't a problem, but the individual tricks are not of great importance in themselves. They never were a intentional feature of the design, and simply not having those particular behaviours is not valid grounds to dismiss a game. The overall quality matters more than a peripheral detail like that. Quake 3's movement felt better anyway, but I guess it's shit because lol no dubble jamp. :roll:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Venser Savant

Venser
    To me killing enemies in Q2 feels super satisfying, especially with shotgun and I love sounds in the game. I prefer to play it on lower res so everything looks grainy, just like it looked when I played it back in the day. High res doesn't do the Q2 atmosphere any good. I used to love single player as a kid but now it's just damn too easy and I can't play through it in any other way than speedrunning. Multiplayer is still good although I prefer the other Quake games. If anyone wants to try it, here's everything you need to play multiplayer: http://q2s.tastyspleen.net/
    Don't even need to own the game; demo, patch and upgraded client is all you need for full multiplayer experience

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth

This already looks better than nuDOOM and all the other modern shooters.

Man I'd kill if the Dark Engine games (Thief) would be able to get such a raytracing treatment.

• Agree x 3
    • incline x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. majorsoccer Prospernaut Shitposter

majorsoccer
    Quake 2 is shit ! soundtrack is 80% of the game,play DOOM or Quake 1 instead.

• :M :M x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    Yep, that was my conclusion as well.

• incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    Quake 2 is Quake 2, I don't think it's horrible but it is what it is, namely an (at the time) impressive-looking, slow, rather easy and pretty bland FPS, especially when compared to god-tier shooters like Doom, Quake 1, Blood and Unreal. There are no mods that can fix that. That being said, I'd still much rather replay Quake 2 (with Yamagi) over the latest Ubisoft or Fake ID popamole.

Just play Kingpin or Sin instead if you want to play a better id Tech 2 shooter. SoF is cool too.
    If you are a nerd who's into story-rich fantasy settings and can stomach third-person games you could play Heretic 2 too, I guess. I was never a fan but it is one of the best looking Quake 2 engine games.

Play Blood 2 on normal or highest skill if you want a truly horrible FPS of the era. (Re)Play the first Episode of Blood 1 first for added effect. That's pretty much what I did when it came out. I was hyped for the sequel after having read many previews in magazines and then I played it with Blood 1 very fresh in my memory:

:abyssgazer:

I recently played Blood and Death Wish back to back using NBlood and Fresh Supply (for co-op and MP) and had a blast. Then one day I was in a fabulously optimistic mood and I installed Blood 2 with dgVoodoo and the Extra Crispy mod which alters the gameplay to make it more similar to Blood 1 and fixes a ton of bugs but it was still too garbage for me to play more than 2 levels.

Civvie's Blood 2 video's reminded me of that experience and they really cracked me up
    Show Spoiler

The nightmare continues:

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Viata Arcane

Viata
    I still can't understand how Blood 2 can be so fucking shit.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    That, and Shogo almost bankrupted Monolith, if it wasn't for NOLF that put them back on track.

^ Top  
  14. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Only to see them becoming shit again now. :negative:

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    Because it was pushed out of the door by the publisher long before it was ready.

Or as Civvie put it so well in his playthrough:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth

More details here:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/quake-ii-rtx-june-6-release-date/

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    It's interesting as a tech demo, but that's about it. Modern effects on low-poly models and low-res textures will always look like shit.
    Those fucking "chrome plated" parts on the guns are also terrible.

I like this, though:
    Photoshopping screenshots built in an a feature. What will they think of next?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Tito Anic Magister

Tito Anic
    Protip:

Just play Unreal and UT.

• Shit Shit x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    Quake 2 in a nutshell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Funny how the RTX version makes the game looks so bright people might think you are playing Mario.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Black Arcane

Black
    But this looks worse.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. schru Savant

schru
    Not to say I would prefer this to the original lighting, which had much more consideration of atmosphere and gameplay put into it, but I think dynamic lights and shadows (however they're achieved) actually do in a way work with levels like in Quake or other older shooters in a more interesting way than in modern games, as the angular geometry lends itself better to interplay of light and shadow and light sources are usually artificial.

^ Top  
  23. RickOmbo Educated

RickOmbo
    Have you tried nostalgia googles?

• cuck cuck x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    I disagree with that.

While there are some nuggets of coolness in Blood 2 the whole thing just sucks on the conceptual level. You just cannot set Blood in mildly futuristic setting with big bad corporashun, with sci-fi-ish teleportation and other dimensions trying to explain away the horror stuff from the original and expect it to work out. It won't.

Blood 2 sucks for much the same reasons SW prequels suck, and it couldn't have been fixed short of starting over from the beginning for much the same reasons. The problem isn't that it's ugly, sucky and unfinished. The problem is that it's a bland flavourless crap down to its very core.

As for Q2, it really could have been a much better game (in SP) if it was stronger mechanically. It would never have been brilliant, because Carmack might be a brilliant programmer, but he has zero fucking imagination or flair to be a game designer, but it could have been a competent and fun (if a bit dull) shootan if only its mechanics played to the strengths of its concept.
    As it is it's mostly mediocre all over.

^ Top  
  25. geNia Barely Literate

geNia
    Guys, I know this is off topic, but please help me find an old Quake 2 mod that I played as a kid. All I remember from it is that you start in a cave flooded by lava and you need to walk (or jump, I can't remember) on platforms to proceed. The first enemy you encounter is two Flyers and also there was an enemy that behaved and sounded like a Berserker, but looked differently.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)