Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Rafidur

Learned
Currently playing Atelier Ryza to wash my eyes after TOW's strong female characters. It works!

Deleted Member 16721

Game is amazing, but damn it's tough on Supernova. Marauders are kicking my ass. I upgraded my light assault rifle so hopefully I can hang now. Also, bits are hard to come by on Supernova. I spent money buying water, food is plentiful at least. Fun stuff! :)

Zer0wing

Cipher
I spent money buying water, food is plentiful at least. Fun stuff! :)
Turns out colonies are not hungry at all. Once again, itemization goes against the plot. Like it happens with Fallout 3, only there was plenty of pure water.

Jezal_k23

I trudge my way to Monarch and am immediately presented with this.
8cGW5y6.png
Okay the game hasn't done anything to justify the existence of the jump button so far but it's finally time for some floaty parkour action.

I take the plunge and immediately slide off the awning and die.

Jeez game, do you have to be terrible at EVERYTHING?
This game really would be better as a fallout 4 mod.

What a dumbfuck. Honestly, now.

You know what else you were presented with? A fucking button which lowers that platform.
QpZ7sJc.jpg

I mean seriously, here's a lesson: if you are going to try to make the game seem stupid, make sure you are not being an even bigger dumbass first.

"I couldn't figure out there was a button to lower the lift so I tried to do some epic parkour instead, what a dumb game" is just not a good look dude.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Hmm, the urban environments in those above screenshots make me want to play through the game in earnest. They look way better than the intro area and remind me a little of DX:HR.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It was week since release and Obsidian still silent about patches - weird, there is pretty mean gamecrashing bug in final, people were talking about it since day 2.

Eh? Pretty much everyone is praising it for being bug-free, and I certainly never had any crashes. Every game has "crashing issues" with a small minority.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It was week since release and Obsidian still silent about patches - weird, there is pretty mean gamecrashing bug in final, people were talking about it since day 2.

Eh? Pretty much everyone is praising it for being bug-free, and I certainly never had any crashes. Every game has "crashing issues" with a small minority.

It crashes for many(most?) people if you take the sneaking path to the chairman in the prison.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I had that bug, you can backtrack around the level and hop a railing and get in there to talk to him.

Self-Ejected

Lichtbringer

Self-Ejected
Is there even a cash sink in this game? The only thing I have spent cash on was a quest item for 10.000 bits - that's it.

I still have 15.000 bits and a ton of unsold gear stowed away on Unreliable. Please don't tell me I was collecting all of this garbage for naught. :argh:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Is there even a cash sink in this game? The only thing I have spent cash on was a quest item for 10.000 bits - that's it.

I still have 15.000 bits and a ton of unsold gear stowed away on Unreliable. Please don't tell me I was collecting all of this garbage for naught. :argh:
basically acid/n-ray mods.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Alright, I've finished it. In about three days, can't be arsed to count exactly how many hours but I've finished every quest I could except the one near the endgame. I can see both why Prime Junta is furious and Fluent is defensive. I've found a new word to describe this game - "stale". Borderline mediocre but not because most of the game is p. average, some things like companions are as good and polished as they are in Bioware games only with first person perspective. Fluent is fine with it but Prime Junta expected more and better from Obsidian, as I did too. Yes, the progress has ended for Cain and Boyarsky. I can be arsed to argue if Tim and Leonard have ambitions they haven't realized due to budget and time constraints anymore because the problem is core gameplay. RPGs still need to evolve but Obsidian refuses to - Dialogue+Stealth from advantage have become an exploit, a legal cheat and button_awesome and I don't support that for 3d action-rpgs. Danger hairs have ruined the setting precisely because it's so lolsofunny it becomes immersion breaking, corpos are so over the top edgy it become immersion breaking too. Combat is functional but barebones, I don't have anything to say for or against it. Just STALE. The creature variety is lacking, why do I keep meeting the same marauders, dogs and critters on several different planets? Survival of the fittest? I don't believe it, the game has nothing to back that up. Science weapons are very shitty, their unique effects only helped in last boss fight when I gave them to my companions even though they're supposed to be unique and very helpful on their own.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I was actually low on money most of the game, but I did pay for all my repairs, tinkered all my weapons and also bought most of the unique weapons.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
as I did too
And as I did too. The game was stinking since at least July or whenever gameplay videos started becoming more frequent. It was obvious they are showing what they consider the best, not holding back, and it's not up to par, it's nothing noteworthy. Moral: names don't make games.

Xeon

Augur
I think the only thing I spent money on is heavy ammo, I found a lot of mods and other crap scavenging so didn't need to buy anything.

Had 100k at the end and I spent it on tinkering my guns tho just to see if they do anything, didn't do anything damage wise. You probably need to spent some money for food and drinks if you play on Supernova maybe.

Zer0wing

Cipher
And as I did too. The game was stinking since at least July or whenever gameplay videos started becoming more frequent. It was obvious they are showing what they consider the best, not holding back, and it's not up to par, it's nothing noteworthy. Moral: names don't make games.
Well TOW is not worth Cain's name for sure but it's not any worse than what Bioware could offer (can't be arsed to play Mass Effect 1-3 or Dragon age 1-3 so I'm just speculating here). More like a project carried by team of passionate interns who loved both ME1 and Obsidian games but lacks the experience and afraid of their ambitions. And lack imagination so they made a textbook Obsidian 3d action rpg. Kind of ironic since soulless corporations in this game are feeding its workers with stale saltuna.

Wesp5

Arcane
You know what else you were presented with? A fucking button which lowers that platform.

Maybe he wanted to get into the demarcated area behind the Stellar Bay houses. Any way to get there?

Quillon

Arcane
Most visually interesting part of the game, the part that looks so good is the docks area in Stellar Bay... which we can't access. Looks awesome from a distance tho :D

Dodo1610

Arcane
The Loot gets crazy in the late game I found containers with 3 stacks of 150 bullets for each type. Why even add so much ammo?

Sadly modding seems to be completly impossible for now, even simple file replacements don't seem to work.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I doubt they’ll do a balance patch that nerfs loot by 90%.

BTW, is the loot randomized in containers and maybe even outside? If so changing it should be very easy...

Containers that are harder to open generally have better stuff in them, so I don't think loot is purely randomized (ala Wasteland 2). You also seem to get all of the available weapon types fairly quickly so you can try them on. So there's probably some heavy scripting there involved.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well TOW is not worth Cain's name for sure but it's not any worse than what Bioware could offer (can't be arsed to play Mass Effect 1-3 or Dragon age 1-3 so I'm just speculating here).

This game's aping Bethesda's stuff, not Bioware's. They're pretty different goals. If you want to compare it in that way, decide which you'd rather play: Fallout 4 or The Outer Worlds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom