Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Discussion in 'Underrail' started by Blaine, Dec 18, 2015.

1. the mole Novice

the mole
    imagine following every post from a person and rating it because it affected you that deeply

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. the mole Novice

the mole
    yep having to manually look at every item in your inventory is a drag

^ Top  
  3. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    After a while, you learn the general sort order, even in the aggregate tab. Also, there are category tabs. Try using those.

If you leave your inventory alone after you sally forth, then newly acquired loot will pile up at the bottom, unless it stacks with what you already have. The big shiny metal armor and hammers are usually heavy.

Inventory management can be daunting in this game, but it helps to pay attention to what you're getting and maybe even read item descriptions instead of mindlessly grabbing everything.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. LJ40 Savant

LJ40
    Imagine stalking someone who rated your posts unfavorably and being a butthurt little half-a-bitch about it.

^ Top  
  5. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I get it if the player wants to be OCD and grab everything, but otherwise... even on Hard, after the first couple hours, you can basically ignore 90% of the loot and still have more than everything you need. Crafting characters will generally stop finding anything they want to equip, so you're usually just picking up medicine, money, oddities, repair kits, batteries, and then checking the specific crafting parts I know I need. Maybe a couple nice guns (2 wgt 10k value) to sell each dungeon.

I just can't see why I'd ever bother picking up metal armour or sledgehammer, and after reaching Core City, every locker or corpse is basically 1 second cursor hover, no uniques or great quality components, pass.

Sure, you could be lugging 800 guns and knives back, or sit there recombining them all into repair kits, but then you have over 10k money without doing any of that, so...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ItsChon Cipher Patron

ItsChon
    I agree with your overarching point, I just think that there are more pieces of good content than what you listed.

But yes, I think the encounter design is what really fucked this expansion more so than anything. The hives, strongmen, crabs, they were all ass because of the encounter design associated with them. I thought the native invasion was actually a really cool part of the expansion and gave a lot of different ways to explore the enconuter.

I do wish that there was an evil option to do stuff with the natives. I think that it would have added some more depth to the expansion and could have given us an interesting lense to approach the Leumerian ruins considering what we know about the natives after going through Abyssal station.
    Show Spoiler
    How it's hinted that the natives are actually the old Leumerians

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    You vastly underestimate my desire to have a fully furnished home armed to the teeth with refurbished old-world robotic weaponry, one of each jet ski alongside a full complement of configurable equipment of each size and useful grade, and a pile of super steel large enough to blot out the Sun.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Yeah, although people might see this as a joke, it seems people forgets that meds and repair kits in this game has weight. And with how people had tendency to save consumables "just in case", and they ended up with 999+ consumables at endgame, I wouldn't be surprised people adapted the exact same mindset with this game, and then wondered what the fuck are they carrying. I've been keeping my meds at 20 and put the extras in my house instead.

Like has been pointed out, it seems the lockdown only happens if you used TNT/Jackhammer in the secret tunnel. If you haven't, then my guess is that you've been seen/detected, either by the cameras or by someone. You most likely gets detected by the camera, which explains why you're now outside the prison but have no way to enter. Should've cleared the camera footage, as pointed out by those symbols beneath the Zone Control icon, the prison is also a Security Camera Footage and Leave no Witnesses zone.

Still, you don't really need to go sneaky-breaky here.
    Show Spoiler
    I mean, you probably do, but only if you want to speak with Todor in his cells. If you have Persuasion, you can convince the jailor to let you meet with Todor and speak with him. After that, you could go find an abandoned sniper rifle somewhere in the roofs of the Foundry, then present it as a fake evidence to Chief Banner. You need to do some quest for him before he'll trust you, though.

You know, I think I'll agree with ItsChon. People probably had way too high expectation considering this expansion took 4 years. The swarms definitely need to be toned down, but other than that, I don't get people's problems with other aspect of the DLC.
    1. The map being the way it is, is due to the geography of the Black Sea. It isn't like the rivers of Underrail, and I imagine if they put bigger individual zones you probably gonna have more swarms trouble, hence the separation of each zones to same sizes. If you haven't noticed it yet, you can actually travel the water zones diagonally, whether it's Black Sea or Underrail rivers, which is useful to quickly get to where you want and to sneak past pirates, natives, and swarms.
    2. toro pointed out that stealth is mandatory, and yet Tigranes said he went back to the Black Sea after rerolling as a sniper (which I'd assume would have stealth) and still got bored of it. I personally finished and enjoyed the majority of the Black Sea as a stealth character, but I also had Persuasion and big brain 7-8 INT (and in some cases, Hypercerebrix) which probably helped me enjoy all Black Sea content, including the Deep Lore™. Again, I think this is a matter of expectation. Not sure what you guys expect, I went in expecting whatever and came out enjoying nearly everything the Black Sea had to offer.
    3. Once again, the Deep Lore™ stuff are completely optional, I don't get why people even had this problem. It's not like the game forced you to read them, and it's not like it's mandatory to proceed through the expansion. You're only told to collect them and register them to Seeger, that's it. You don't even need to bother interacting with his PC if you don't feel like reading some dead person's ramblings. As for stuff in computer consoles found in the facilities itself, I really don't remember any big reading other than for the music puzzle. There are no Deep Lore™ there.
    4. I don't get the thing about the places being identical. I mean, they're constructed by the exact same civilization. It's like complaining that the Hecate Research Outpost is identical to Panacea Lab. Each of the facilities also had its moments.
      Show Spoiler
      Horticultural Center has those swarms (which is easily the worst part of the DLC), but then you also need to figure out how to get rid of the overgrown vines in that console (which you wouldn't be able to if you fail a [Reading Comprehension] check). The Nexus of Technology has its music puzzle, though it's not for everyone. It also has the crucial information regarding a McGuffin and another coordinates (and that's it, no Deep Lore™). BSRF has the submarine, Health Center has them spooky moments (need to tone down the swarms, though), LEMCO has some unique goodies, though depending on how much you care about exploring abandoned facilities and following the main quest, you either visit this place earlier or as the very last. Joint Security Headquarter has the coordinates to the last dungeon of the DLC, though there's something that needs to be done about the Nagas. And the Abyssal Zero Substation. Oh, God, I don't think I could ever express how much I love that place. It's the last chunk of content of the DLC, and yet it's easily THE best part of the entire DLC, if not the rest of the game.

Fetid Marsh can go fuck itself, though.
    5. But yeah, the swarm is a problem, yes. Once again, I feel like the swarms need to be toned down. Or at least made their behavior more clear. Or, make it so TNT and high AoE damage that could instant kill the hive, ALSO instantly kills the swarm. I don't get why can ANY of the locusts jumped out unscathed after their hive got blasted by a TNT charge. Swarms like crabs, creepers, and those statues also needs to be toned down. In moderation, they're challenging enemies like any other and I'm sure anybody wouldn't mind fighting them in great encounter design. But as it is... it's just obnoxious.
    I think the reason why they don't give you a choice to 'join' the natives is because, that would basically like giving you a choice to join Tchort. It's a no-no because Six will fuck you up before you get to do anything.
    Show Spoiler
    Flottsormir is most likely a Leviathan described from interaction with the Mainframe of the Oculus. The Glowing Canine Monolith at the Jaws of the Black Sea is likely a spear hurled by the Godmen to kill Leviathans, which explains why even so much looking at it hurts the natives so badly.

Also,
    Show Spoiler
    the natives aren't the old Lemurians. They're actually the Atlanteans, or more precisely as the game put it, the Subislanders. There a discrimination between General R&D department with the Special R&D departments, in which the Lemurians who took refuge in the Substation can't enter the Special R&D and can only occupy a position in General R&D, while the Special R&D was exclusively the Subislanders. It's in Special R&D that the research into the Shadowlith began, and it's with the Special R&D that the corruption began. At one point, after locking themselves for a long time, the Subislanders came out of the Special R&D and began shooting at everyone, INCLUDING the Subislanders who didn't join them. This event became known as the Disunion, and after that they stormed out of the Substation and took the Subsphere, the one you saw at LEMCO full of cobwebs.

[​IMG]
    Scrubs.

(I had to delete save #1 to save #229 to free up some spaces).
    Invest in Mercantile, and join the Merchants Guild™ now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Spark Mandriller Scholar

Spark Mandriller
    People who don't normally use metal actually get the most out of super steel. Weapons made out of it suck compared to titanium/tungsten ones, and metal armour is weaker than tungsten too even if it does have much better penalty. It's best used for infusing leather or in tactical vests/riot gear.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. ItsChon Cipher Patron

ItsChon
    Does anyone have an answer to my game crashing whenver I try to either travel to North Underrail or become consular of SGS?

• No No x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Blackmill Learned

Blackmill
    I've been thinking about which fights actually posed some difficulty after level 18 or so, and frankly, it was only when I had to fight a bunch of psionics. A good shield and suit of armor is just too much effective health for most enemies to be a threat. Thought control psionics can just go through the armor and shield. That said, just a few tweaks could make non-psionics tough again. As a first step, I say more enemies should have EMP grenades. And maybe rebalance EMPs to only discharge a fixed amount of shield battery, since otherwise, having a shield would either matter a lot or not at all. Or perhaps have EMP grenades simply disable electronic items for a certain number of turns but not drain energy. Adding in some better AI with this would do the trick. Better AI is needed since it's too easy to manipulate the enemy's actions by moving out of line of sight. Doing this a large group can often be fought as a series of smaller groups.* Right now, it seems like the game is balanced for decent builds, so that optimized builds reach a point (shortly after reaching core city, where you have great merchants, and much more income) where everything becomes trivial.

*This is an example scenario. You're fighting a large group of bandits, so you run behind a wall, and wait with your AR. In current Underrail the enemies will run to your location and you probably get to fight the whole group two or three at a time. With better AI, maybe the enemies could at least move as a group, and then instead rushing around the corner, chuck a half dozen toxic gas grenades near where they think you are. Now the situation is reversed and you're forced to rush at them. Then after you leave cover, you get an EMP grenade to the face, just before the snipers attempt their aimed shots.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Report to Styg or send him your saves.

^ Top  
  13. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Not a fan of this, since getting EMPed is instadeath, due to you being damaged by your entire inventory's worth of energy.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Does it drain everything you're carrying in your pack, or only what you've got equipped? Guess I've yet to be hit by one.

An easy fix would be to cap the damage at a % of maximal health.

^ Top  
  15. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Everything in your pack on >=Hard.

Should just drop the mechanic instead of bandaiding it, if it were more annoying you'd start dropping gear and coming back for it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    ^ Top  
  16. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    That should be ≥Hard, FYI.

1.0.3 was released in 2017, so that change came after my last playthrough in 2016.

I can't even imagine why something so obnoxious was implemented in the first place, but hey.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. hell bovine Arcane

hell bovine
    What is really annoying when playing with chemical pistols: "neutrals" running around like panicked lemmings during a fight. My character got accosted by the beggar in the foundry, so of course she cooked shot him in the face. Got the guy entagled, all is going well, and then the foundry cavalry arrives. Do they attack the guy? No, instead they start running around (for whatever reason?) and of course one of them jogs straight through the acid puddle, which turns them and the entire foundry hostile.

Styg
    Please improve the ai, acid puddles are not traps, they are well visible on the ground.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Goromorg Learned

Goromorg
    Guys is it worth to invest into pickpocketing?
    I know there are some faction oddities and
    Show Spoiler
    Ethan's medallion
    which you can steal.
    How much points to invest into it if it's good?

^ Top  
  19. hell bovine Arcane

hell bovine
    If you are not a dexterity character, I'd say don't bother, because you need to keep raising it (40 is enough for junkyard, from what I remember). But with high dex pickpocketing is a nice supply of meds, ammo and a few oddities & quest items.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    You can get the spoilered with persuade instead.

I use it on my current run and have been surprised at how useful it is, but I'd only invest if you max DEX and can get by with <60 points.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. hell bovine Arcane

hell bovine
    On the topic of dexterity: after tinkering around with chemical pistols, imo with temporal psi you don't need high dexterity anymore. That magical 90 ap number is easy to get with minimal skill and feat investment. Psychotemporal haste spell is available as soon as
    Show Spoiler

you get to rail crossing, the doc there sells the psychic mentor.

It got me thinking that a laser pistol-wielding scientist should be quite viable, because if you don't need to invest in dex, then you can raise your perception and get good acccuracy even on higher difficulty settings. With stealth, ambush and crafting you should be able to get the critical chance above 100, and with temporal magic and drugs you get 6 shots with the laser pistol... All that is missing is a top hat & monocle.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Elephantman Unwanted

Unwanted
    nice, got the jetski back that i gave up in negotiations
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Omaha beach: The Neverending Story

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Elephantman Unwanted

Unwanted
    [​IMG]

• nice nice x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    LTI! LTI-LTI-LTI*LtI^ltI(L#t#i!

You used ALL this? :shredder:
    Respect.

I have one - report it.

If you want oddities and some juicy stuff then 100-130 I guess.

^ Top  
  25. ciox Learned

ciox
    LTI also goes on cooldown.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)