Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

epeli

Arcane
I guess everyone just assumed it halves HP because everything else difficulty did (heals, healing cooldowns, easymoodo hp) was just halving or doubling numbers.

At least that's what I assumed. I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't add difficulty option to http://underrail.info.tm/

marux

Augur
i only played hard and never bothered to check other difficulties since i assumed that if the game is playable on 1/2 hp, normal would be too easy...
2/3 makes sense.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
If you want an easier time navigating DC try to be in good terms with both the Tchortists and the Faceless.

ST'Ranger

Augur
If you want an easier time navigating DC try to be in good terms with both the Tchortists and the Faceless.

This is far more important than stealth if we're talking about the ease of exploring. There's really only one area of DC where stealth is a real advantage (time-saver) - most of the time it's best to proceed from A to B as quickly as possible.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Don't offer/promise to do anything for the Tchortists in DC if you plan on talking to the Faceless leader. It'll make all Faceless hostile.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You can accept the tchortist quest in DC, without consequences from the faceless (maybe this was introduced by one of the patches). Of course if you actually do it, there will be blood.

epeli

Arcane
Don't offer/promise to do anything for the Tchortists in DC if you plan on talking to the Faceless leader. It'll make all Faceless hostile.
You can accept the tchortist quest in DC, without consequences from the faceless (maybe this was introduced by one of the patches). Of course if you actually do it, there will be blood.

You're both right. You can do whatever you want after the faceless mindreading. But if you promise to spy on the faceless and let them read your mind after that...

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
By the way, I was watching a vid and saw that you can talk with the faceless boss inside buzzer's shop. Now I wonder what other conversations I might have missed because of stealth alpha strikes.

Styg, I've been fishing for the damaged necklace in Siphoner Pools near Junkyard without any results (Dexterity 11 w/ Junkyard Surprise). I've caught enough Blue Eels to feed the entire Underrail as well as various junk and electronic devices but no necklace. Was the necklage supposed to be fished when you first receive the quest for Blue Eels or is it possible that one of the updates jinxed the chance of catching the necklace?

Last edited:

epeli

Arcane
cherry blossom it's still there and very easy to catch, but you need to find the correct spot. It's near the southwest "island" / southwest corner of the zone.

ST'Ranger

Augur
By the way, I was watching a vid and saw that you can talk with the faceless boss inside buzzer's shop. Now I wonder what other conversations I might have missed because of stealth alpha strikes.

It's nice to see others point this out.

Based on various complaints in the thread, I think a lot of people miss a lot of interactions in the game. And some come here and complain about lack of C&C (or related features) as a result. The interesting truth of Underrail is that the C&C is spread out all over the game, it doesn't just happen at obvious points where the developer has planted a flag in the earth that reads "Important Choice Ahead".

Another aspect which possibly helps this interaction along is that one has to go out and find much of the content of the game - it's not all laid bare at your feet as you go from Obvious Starting Point to Clearly Probable End Point. Add in an oft-missing lack of gamey (imo, others would disagree) instant feedback from decisions and it becomes quite the task to even unravel some of the consequences to trace them back to their source.

Many who think they are big proponents of player agency find that there is a limit to their tolerance for less-linear progress in a game. Underrail really does provide a demonstration that linearity and freedom are not parameters which can be balanced to fit just right but are instead governed more strongly by a tradeoff relationship. With a gain in essential freedom, there is a seemingly unavoidable loss in essential direction. This is most clear in the game when the rail system opens back up. I think a lot of players would describe that combined feeling of independence and being hopelessly lost as "daunting". The size of the world explodes, not only geographically but also in the space of possibilities - and there is no comfortable guarantee that pursuing certain possibilities will not close off other desirable ones.

Having played through the game so many times up to this point, I really can't even imagine someone having a fitting appreciation for the web of possibilities that can play out in the game on their first or second playthrough.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
In this case it's just a problem due to inconsistence. Up to that point the game educates you that if you can talk to someone they have a baloon icon on mouse over. But that particular conversation is triggered when you walk into his sight.

Lhynn

Arcane
Eh, kind of disappointed with the changes, glad i got the game out of the way months ago. The feat variety is not high enough to excuse nerfs of any kind. Plus i distinctly remember styg saying feats wouldnt be nerfed.

What i dont get is the change made to combo, it was one of those feats that built on gameplay by providing an interactive element to auto-attacking, it made tackling multiple enemies more interesting. now its just RNG crap.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Completely agree with Lhynn about the Combo feat. RNG was already involved before since you never get to land each & every hit. Adding another layer of RNG on top of it just makes it feel completely useless.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Styg should dedicate his time to changes that would make game more fun.

Such as linking social skills to intelligence so they're feasible to raise for non-psikers. Or merging dodge and evasion. Or making Throwing also scale with Dexterity OR Strength like melee skill so AR/hammer builds have an extra utility/ranged option.

While at that, finish turning Throwing Knives into actual weapons so non-specific weapon perks also work with them.

Lhynn

Arcane
Styg should just stop ruining his own game, focus completely fixing stability issues and bugs, then moving on to an expansion, a sequel or a new IP with what he learned from this experience.

He should also listen to me because i own his game, which means im basically his boss.

:M

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
But really, dodge and evasion are just a complete waste of skill points. You either go all in or don't bother.

Dodge is worth 40 points to dex melee dudes for fancy footwork. But besides that, traps is a skill that does a way better job at avoiding melee damage (or all damage with smart placement) while also being useful for offense, utility and making exploration less prone to reloading previous save.

Evasion is worthless.

Merging into a single skill would at least make it somewhat of an option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom