Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes,democracy is cancerous government that allows only unworthy people to get to power by lying and cheating.

and at the opposite pole of worthiness what is?

open a history book and educate yourself before spewing dumb shit and you will find out that lying and cheating is universal.

Telling people to have a drink of alcohol once or twice a day would have had a lot of better effect than all that hysteria.
I hope you get the virus and you'll be the sole person on the planet where the only symptom is the swelling of the rain with the side effect of increased IQ afterwards.
It's your only chance to get well.
fuck off retard

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
AMA summaries: https://wccftech.com/baldurs-date-3-multiple-huge-regions-custom-characters/

Baldur’s Gate 3 is Split into Multiple Huge Regions, Custom Characters are Fully Developed

Last month Larian Studios finally pulled the curtain back on Baldur’s Gate 3, revealing over an hour of detailed gameplay footage. Of course, Dungeons & Dragons fans are a pretty serious bunch, and so a lot of questions remain. Thankfully, Larian head honcho Swen Vincke, producer David Walgrave, BG3 lead writer Adam Smith, and more took to Reddit to participate in an AMA. They covered a wide range of topics, some of which will only be of interest to hardcore D&D nerds, but I collected up some of the more interesting revelations, below.

First up, Walgrave spoke briefly about the size and scope of the Baldur’s Gate 3 world, implying it won’t quite be an open world, but a series of large staging areas…

You're in a huge terrain, but between acts you will travel from one huge region to another.​

Swen Vincke provided some additional detail about the world’s layout.

The small portion of the adventure we’ve shown takes place many miles East of Baldur’s Gate, and the initial journey will take players along the banks of the river Chionthar, and surrounding wilderness and settlements, toward BG and the coast. You won’t be walking the whole way to BG in real-time, so there will be several large, open regions. Later, you’ll visit the city of Baldur’s Gate itself, of course. Other places I’m not going to spoil for you because discovery and exploration are part of the joy.​

One subject that was clearly of concern to fans participating in the AMA was custom characters. Of course, D&D is all about rolling your own character, but the BG3 demo we saw focused on a pre-determined “Origin” character. So, the question is, will custom characters have the same depth as Origin characters? Or are you better off playing with Larian’s creations?

This is our campaign, but it's absolutely your adventure. The small amount of gameplay we've shown focused on one of our Origin characters, but whether you roll a custom or Origin character, the choices you make and the actions you take carry the same weight. In Baldur’s Gate 3, ‘Origin characters’ are basically fully-fledged companions, that you can optionally play. Even if you’re not playing as an Origin, you can explore their backstories and personal quests by having them in your party. Custom characters will see the world react to them based on their chosen race, class and background. Creating a character gives a sense of who you are, but the heart of the game’s reactivity is based on what you do after character creation​

Writer Adam Smith provided some more detail on how Larian is handling custom characters.

This isn’t [Divinity: Original Sin II]. In BG3, custom characters have a much stronger connection to the world and the main arc of the story - whether they’re from Baldur’s Gate, further afield, or somewhere else entirely (hey, githyanki). The campaign is much more reactive to your actions - when we say there are serious consequences to your choices, we really mean it - and as you move through your adventure, you’ll discover quest-lines and stories that relate directly to the character you’re roleplaying, and the things that you’ve done. We’re confident that you won’t feel short-changed in terms of narrative breadth and depth if you choose to play as a custom character- we love our Origins, but this campaign is built for all of you.​

Speaking of customs, it seems like BG3 will have quite a deep character creator.

After you select a race and a class, you could be all set and ready to go, but if you want to, you can dive in deeper, and change all the abilities, spells, skills, cantrips… and customize visuals. You will be able to select a face type, hairdo, facial hair, skin colour. I cannot give numbers or details, because it's still a work in progress, but there won't be sliders. We have more diversity in creation than in any other game we’ve done before. You'll be able to mix and match a wide variety of defaults, to create something unique.​

Back to Origin characters, it sounds like there will be quite a few of them, and it doesn’t end there! You’ll also be able to recruit more generic mercenaries for your team.

We are trying to make all characters with backstory available as origin characters. Other than that, you will be able to recruit generic mercenaries and customize these. We’re also planning to allow you to build a custom party from the character creation screen though that most likely won’t be present in early access from the get go.​

Those were the main things covered by the AMA, but here’s a few more quickie answers. Will all D&D classes be available at launch?

Yes, all classes from 5e Player’s Handbook will be included at launch. In Early Access you’ll be able to play as a Cleric, Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock or Wizard.​

Can you create an entire custom party?

We’re planning to allow you to build a custom party from the character creation screen though that most likely won’t be present in early access from the get go.​

Will modding be available at launch?

We're focusing first on developing and finishing the main campaign, once we have some space, we can talk about that.​

What’s the initial level cap going to be?

We’re planning to cover levels 1 through 10 in full release.​

If you’ve got a few minutes to spare, you can wade through the full Baldur’s Gate 3 AMA, right here.

Baldur’s Gate III is coming to PC and Google Stadia. A release date has yet to be announced, but Google recently let slip that the game will arrive sometime in 2020.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...uild-on-the-series-existing-story-say-larian/

Yes, Baldur's Gate 3 will build on the series' existing story, say Larian

Baldur’s Gate 3 is well out of the bag now and despite the lengthy gameplay reveal that Larian hosted at PAX East last month I have oh so many questions. So do you lot, it seems. Larian hosted an AMA yesterday to answer them all and though there were a few things they declined to answer, we’ve mostly rolled well on our Persuasion checks and come out with new details. Most importantly, yes, Baldur’s Gate 3 will continue the story from Baldur’s Gate and its sequel. It isn’t a direct sequel, but Larian say “we wouldn’t call it Baldur’s Gate 3 if there wouldn’t be a link.”

That’s been a big question from the start. A lot of time has passed since the original Baldur’s Gate games developed by BioWare and plenty of time has passed in the Forgotten Realms as well. Larian have hinted previously that we may spot familiar characters but the ways that Baldur’s Gate 3’s actual plot ties back to the earlier games isn’t yet being shared. That hasn’t changed much with this new Q&A, but Larian CEO Swen Vincke did at least assure players that they are connected.

“Let me just say that we touch upon the story of BG 1 & 2 in meaningful ways,” Vincke says. “There are returning characters and what happened in BG 1/2/[Throne of Bhaal] leads to what happens in BG3. You won’t necessarily see that at the start of the adventure, but you will quickly understand once you get further into the game.”

jpg

There are a bunch of other details in the Reddit AMA thread as well. Here are some of the highlights, by my measure:

Character creation will be similar to Divinity: Original Sin 2. We already know that, as with D:OS2, players will be able to make a custom character or choose to play as one of the “canon” story characters. Customising faces will also be similar, relying mostly on face presets, hair and skin colors, and hair styles. You won’t be fiddling with a bunch of sliders. You’ll also be able to choose a voice style even for a custom character and they will be fully voice-acted just like origin characters.

As for how custom characters will compare with origin characters during the story, Larian say that compared with D:OS2, “custom characters have a much stronger connection to the world and the main arc of the story. … We’re confident that you won’t feel short-changed in terms of narrative breadth and depth if you choose to play as a custom character.” I always recommended to friends that they choose one of D:OS2’s origin characters rather than building their own for this reason, so it’s good to see Larian adjusting their approach.

When it fully launches (after the planned early access period), Baldur’s Gate 3 will let you play as any of Dungeons & Dragons’ character classes from the 5th Edition ruleset. During early access, you’ll be able to play as a Cleric, Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock or Wizard. One keen commenter asked about the distinction between long and short rests for Warlocks, who can regain their spell slot uses after only a short rest. Larian confirmed that yup, Warlocks will net back their spells between combat encounters, which in BG3 will count as a short rest. Your party will have to make camp to take a long rest though.

There’s a lot more that you can dig up in the Reddit thread, which you can do without my assistance. I’ve got to clear this stage before I get kicked off it, so here’s a last few details for ya.

Will there be a Dungeon Master mode? Maybe. Mod support? Maybe. Nearly every other question you could conceivably think of? Here ya go. When will Baldur’s Gate 3 launch in early access?

You can find Baldur’s Gate 3 on Steam.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I fully expect it to copy BG1's structure closely. And that's not a bad thing. I just don't know why Belgian developers use miles, nobody outside of Kwanzania understands what that means without looking it up.

Fairfax

Arcane
The 5e classes are too much at different power at level 10 and more equal at 13-15 when they finish their archetypes.
I also enjoy 5E's Tier 3 gameplay, but that's not true. The features that weaker archetypes unlock at 13-15 aren't even that good/good enough to close the gap, while the strongest ones get most of the best stuff. The gap only gets wider.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I fully expect it to copy BG1's structure closely. And that's not a bad thing. I just don't know why Belgian developers use miles, nobody outside of Kwanzania understands what that means without looking it up.
They're using the official measurement system of the people who walked on the moon.
The joke is that computer systems used during the moon landing actually used the metric system, right?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
So custom chars are not nerfed to the ground content wise? Always disliked that whole origins thing locked to premades.
It's just a misleading pr wordy answer. He's saying that custom PC's will still make choices and the game will keep track of those choices and give reactivety to the choices you made and you can experience the stories if they're your companion then quickly skirted over how your PC will have less story and reactivity compared to Origins.

User0001

Savant
I also enjoy 5E's Tier 3 gameplay, but that's not true. The features that weaker archetypes unlock at 13-15 aren't even that good/good enough to close the gap, while the strongest ones get most of the best stuff. The gap only gets wider.

In your point of view, how does the gap widen?

jackofshadows

Magister
So custom chars are not nerfed to the ground content wise? Always disliked that whole origins thing locked to premades.
Have you read the actual answers? Because I'm not convinced at all. By the way, they are also told that it would be impossible to create custom vampire char while origin one have unique sucking ability among other things.

J1M

Arcane
Full custom party? Turn-based? I guess I need to buy this if only to vote with my wallet.

The level cap is nice too. From what I recall, 5e tries to give you something every level. I also think a lower cap discourages builds that are really powerful at max level but less fun to get there.

Efe

Erudite
hmm.. if they allow you to be vampire would they also allow you to be a gith and sleep around with everyone?

Gyor

Savant
and he defended the super-hero jumps by claiming they were spiced up that way to enable "seeing them"

and his statement is a measure of how good is he at bullshitting.

and level cap is at 10 because there will be DLCs to buy afterwards. it's not a decision driven by wise design choice, you slurping Larian faggots.

Not a DLC, a sequel, BG4, most likely another +100 to +150 hours of content plus new subclasses, races, companions, and maybe the Artificer and Psion classes.

Gyor

Savant
Uninspiring.... 10 level max? Ugh this is a CRPG guys, 15th is a minimum here, unless they want to milk it hard. Oh wait they will 10th level BG3 15th level DLC 20 lvl DLC2+3.

Larian doesn't do things that way, more likely the game is so big they split it in two, BG3 which is 100+ hours and BG4 which will be 100+ to 150+ hours with more character creation options. I'll point out BG1 where you only went to level 7, you advanced further via expansions and sequels. BG3 levels 1-10, BG4 Levels 11-20, BG5 Epic content. Pretty simple no need for cynasism.

Gyor

Savant
Also, it requires you to limit or avoid random spawns / encounters (which is a good thing).

It really doesn't lol.

You can always do progression by quest like PoE. I think PnP also has set progression where killing monster deosn't give exp and only milestones (basically quest) do.
Yes it’s needed for discourage murderhobo.

Milestones would be every interesting way of leveling, it would allow alot more flexiblity in game play, if you want to use skills to avoid combat you can, if you want as much combat as possible, you can all without messing up progression.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't doubt they'll do a BG4 in order to make their own "Bhaalspawn saga", but high level gameplay is ultimately boring and depends on mostly gimmicks to keep the challenge up.

Elex

Arbiter
4 lvl 20 5e character are the equivalent of lvl 30-40 of older editions.

just... no!!! :retarded:
at lvl 13-20 in 5e you can kill legendary liches (like acererak) archdevils (like zariel), demons princes(like orcus) and gods (like tiamat). If that aren't epic levels enemies then wtf a character is supposed to kill for be the equivalent of an epic tier?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom