Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XCOM: Chimera Squad - humans and aliens team up

Reinhardt

Arcane
Not everyone believes in God, shitlord. The proper term is CaringPerson.
God not exist but every woman is a goddess, shitlord. And some women have penis.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Damn Claymore is a beast. By far the most useful member of my party. I bought him a Plasma Grenade in scavenger market and now he gets to use one per encounter. And his own grenades are awesome. It is not a coincidence that is only true alpha male in that team of random wierdoes.

Also there are some fun comboes I found. One everyone can do it use one action and the Preparation. You get moved a bit in same turn but then get two new actions and many of the abilities refresh (like Claymore's Concussive Charge or Cherub's Shield thingy). Same thing if you got Terminal's cooperation, it lets you throw two shields or two Concussion charges in one turn.

jackofshadows

Magister
I just read that each faction has a big difficulty spike for the final mission but Sacred Coil's is the worst, so your plan of doing them last seems smart.
I don't know about the rest two yet but yeah, that was one, big, insane difficulty spike. Seems unbeatable w/o high-level op abilies etc. I did it by some fucking miracle having at my disposal only 3 tier agents.
DEeJZl1.png
Also there are some fun comboes I found. One everyone can do it use one action and the Preparation.
By introducing new initiative system they messed up with at least some order stuff for sure. Ronins seems op, as well as what you did mention since by their own design "team up" supposedly using 1 time per mission yet terminal has cd on cooperation 3 turn which is not the same but still op.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For whatever it's worth, I've been playing the game more and after the initial spate of grating cheerful cutscenes, the childish atmosphere has toned down some. "Terminal" is really the only character who jokes around in combat, and it's perfectly fine (almost required in the genre) to have one goofball on a team of serious cops.

nil

Cipher
The joke is "haha human women are the exact opposite". Quite problematic, if you ask me. There are many strong, independent human women.
At least the man is portrayed as rational and decent, giving the alien a chance to explain itself, instead of instantly taking offense.

Even she is astounded, judging by the surprised expression in her eyes.
FeIMBGv.jpg

Assuming gender is wrong.
I honestly think that's just because they wrote generic skill descriptions.

Zumbabul

Savant
I played this game for several hours, and I like it. Gameplay is relaxing and enjoyable. The game is worth its money.

However, the writing.... It is fucking disgusting. It spoils everything. If only they just wrote some boring stuff or did not write anything at all the game would be much better. I hope somebody will make a mod that will delete all this "writing".

LizardWizard

Cipher
Damn Claymore is a beast. By far the most useful member of my party. I bought him a Plasma Grenade in scavenger market and now he gets to use one per encounter. And his own grenades are awesome. It is not a coincidence that is only true alpha male in that team of random wierdoes.

Also there are some fun comboes I found. One everyone can do it use one action and the Preparation. You get moved a bit in same turn but then get two new actions and many of the abilities refresh (like Claymore's Concussive Charge or Cherub's Shield thingy). Same thing if you got Terminal's cooperation, it lets you throw two shields or two Concussion charges in one turn.

Haven't seen lategame yet but Patchwork seems broken. 100% chain aoe dmg no cooldown on top of robohack, which she can cast both in the same turn + move.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FeIMBGv.jpg

I'm one of the biggest progressive cucks on the Codex and not even I am naive enough to believe this.

Note, I support the respectful use of whatever pronouns a person wants to apply to themselves, but obliterating all pronouns except they/them is not respectful for those of us who identify otherwise.
Maybe a team of a dozen cops all happen to identify as they/them? I guess it could happen. But without explanation, this is jarring.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Still in the early game, do they ever talk about how the more abominable aliens like the Chryssalids, Faceless or Gatekeepers managed to integrate, if at all? They seem alot harder to accept given their monstrous nature.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The battles remind me more of Shadowrun than XCOM. Am I the only one?

It's absolutely the same shit.

They almost had a game of the year (and more) within reach, rewrite or zap all these retarded dialogs, remove the LGBT parade and replace that two actions shitty system by UFO Time Units original system.
Also, the aliens (chimera squad ones) look like trannies, so far, but i could get over this, they're neutral ...

:shredder:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm not sure i want to play the second battle, maybe a modder will nuke all that shit and make the game enjoyable in 6 month or so ...

By the way, there's no way to skip the whole dialog, is there ? It would be bearable if you could do that.

Zombra

Patron
you should put your preferred pronouns in your signature
On the Codex? I prefer to let my fans imagine me however turns them on. Probably being tortured to death in most of their cases.

They almost had a game of the year within reach, all they had to change was the dialogue, story, visuals, and gameplay.
Seriously man, either refund and go play something else or admit it's not that bad.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Anyone figure out a good order to do the factions in? I was thinking Grey Pheonix > Progeny > Sacred Coil.
I just read that each faction has a big difficulty spike for the final mission but Sacred Coil's is the worst, so your plan of doing them last seems smart.
I wasn't even aware of the difficulty, It was under the impression that the one narrative aspect that wouldn't be fumbled was the raising of stakes. And the cult-looking dudes looked best saved for last.

nil

Cipher
FeIMBGv.jpg

I'm one of the biggest progressive cucks on the Codex and not even I am naive enough to believe this.

Note, I support the respectful use of whatever pronouns a person wants to apply to themselves, but obliterating all pronouns except they/them is not respectful for those of us who identify otherwise.
Maybe a team of a dozen cops all happen to identify as they/them? I guess it could happen. But without explanation, this is jarring.
It's not naivety. I just think laziness/lack of resources/incompetence is more likely, than them going "the whole squad is non-binary!".

This whole game gives me the impression that the XCOM3 development is such a huge clusterfuck that they needed to rush a side project to make at least some money and give the intern/junior team something to do.

What I mean is:

- Are skills unique to characters, or can multiple characters have the same skills?
- Are all characters going to have a gender? Can genderless characters have skills? Are they referred to as 'it' or 'they'? Can there be both? (robots, genderless aliens, actual non-binary characters)
- Is the localization pipeline prepared to handle skill descriptions with dynamic genders? (Might not seem like a big deal, but with the shoestring budget this game seems to have had, it probably matters.)
- If the skills are unique to characters, and they just write the genders into the text, that means if the writing/whatever team decides to change a character (I doubt they had it all nailed down before development started), or the the balance or whatever team switches the skill around, the people responsible for skills would have to go and change the text.

VS

- "Just write them/they."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom