Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Delterius

Arcane
GUYS! This is just in:

- fully open world, much much larger than Skyrim (very differently “larger”, more proper word would be “denser” and “more contrasted” at the same time)
- primarily set in the The Living Lands region of Eora (not sure if it’ll go like that as explicit later on, but that was starting point)
- big focus on world-reactivity, lighting and next-gen AI systems and physics (special focus on physics with magic systems - have no clue what would that mean)
- realtime whether system (don’t have full details but fog is very important as realtime element, rivers will have specific micro physics systems regarding this)
- very advanced character creation tool (didn’t get more info)
- mod support (for now PC is/will be very dominant as creation tool, but I’ll be playable fully on Xbox)
- very large number of fractions but very different approach than with Skyrim
- you’ll be able to have companions (different than Outer Worlds)
- storyset: fight against incoming threat of tyranny (independent from previous stories)
- game has bosses planned and some of them are very very large
- Gods will have special say in the game
- great focus on iconic landmarks, statues and buildings
- two large cities planned with many smaller ones with strong focus on contrasting wild-areas, rivers, mountains and desolated areas (yes, you’ll be able to swim)
- fully respecting POE creatures lore with new additions
- dynamic presentation of dialogue
- for now idea is to keep “you can kill everyone in the game” option
- around 100 people are on the project for 2y (smaller number for 7m of preproduction), in total 2y 7m
- full production is already a thing
- team will still grow
- target date: late 2022/early 2023

Keep in mind that some parts of this can change during the development process.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More from "sponger": https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...-had-me-at-halo.246538/page-252#post-40811217

Do you happen to know what the framerate target is? We know most of XGS targets 60fps, and to be able to play something like this sure would be lovely but at the same time I'm conflicted because I really want them to make the game world as beautiful as possible where they don't have to cut corners (maybe keeping folilage static, less NPCs etc for example) to hit 60fps. No matter how powerful the system is, I keep being told what a resource hog 60fps really is.

Too early to tell. UE4/UE5 based. (Other studios are involved, but not at large scale or as codevelopers - basically they are baking in some shared stuff from other teams and also sharing their stuff with others)

solis74 you'll need to wait for official information, can't share how did I get this, but keep in mind that parts of this can change during the development.

----

I'll stay zipped regarding the story or other stuff that can spoil the game or ruin the experience (can't say that I have more details here).
I shared this only for you to know that game has very strong vision and is in good hands.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
The part that make me doubt the validity of the info is mod support.

I thought Unreal Engine is very hard to mod and if that even possible it will not be as moddable as Skyrim Creation Engine.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The part that make me doubt the validity of the info is mod support.

I thought Unreal Engine is very hard to mod and if that even possible it will not be as moddable as Skyrim Creation Engine.

I don't know how often i have to post this but Epic has said they want to add mod support to both the Unreal Engine and the Epic Games store

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/new-example-project-and-plugin-for-mod-support-released
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MobYn8XVp6U
https://trello.com/c/xqnzVcZz/27-mod-support-for-games

Additionally MS is also interested in bringing modding to the Xbox and PC with by adding mod support to MS Flight simulator and their broad support of modding for Skyrim and F4.
https://trello.com/c/xqnzVcZz/27-mod-support-for-games

Also, this wasn't gameplay it's a target render, it's what the gameplay is supposed to like like in the end. Like that famous fake Killzone trailer or the recent Stalker trailer.
YeXQRYX.gif

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not as simple as "Unreal = hard to mod". The Firaxis XCOM games used Unreal and you still got Long War. Developers can always try to externalize their data.

Bulo

Scholar
Considering mainstream AI hasn't improved considerably over the last decade, "next-gen AI" can only be interpreted as a literal description, i.e. the confirmation of a continuing of the tradition of developers aspiring to go no further than Treyarch did when they decided to program their Wehrmacht soldiers to cleverly hide behind big red explosive barrels.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Mod support doesn't necessarily mean "Bethesda-like mod support". I'm thinking asset replacers, stuff like new equipment, balance mods, etc.

Fargus

Arcane
Another crappy, woke game from Obsidian in boring PoE universe? Can't wait.

Mod support doesn't necessarily mean "Bethesda-like mod support". I'm thinking asset replacers, stuff like new equipment, balance mods, etc.

Lmao no. Rape mods or GTFO.

Thonius

Arcane
Grain of salt...

- fully open world, much much larger than Skyrim (very differently “larger”, more proper word would be “denser” and “more contrasted” at the same time)
- primarily set in the The Living Lands region of Eora (not sure if it’ll go like that as explicit later on, but that was starting point)
- big focus on world-reactivity, lighting and next-gen AI systems and physics (special focus on physics with magic systems - have no clue what would that mean)
- realtime whether system (don’t have full details but fog is very important as realtime element, rivers will have specific micro physics systems regarding this)
- very advanced character creation tool (didn’t get more info)
- mod support (for now PC is/will be very dominant as creation tool, but I’ll be playable fully on Xbox)
- very large number of fractions but very different approach than with Skyrim
- you’ll be able to have companions (different than Outer Worlds)
- storyset: fight against incoming threat of tyranny (independent from previous stories)
- game has bosses planned and some of them are very very large
- Gods will have special say in the game
- great focus on iconic landmarks, statues and buildings
- two large cities planned with many smaller ones with strong focus on contrasting wild-areas, rivers, mountains and desolated areas (yes, you’ll be able to swim)
- fully respecting POE creatures lore with new additions
- dynamic presentation of dialogue
- for now idea is to keep “you can kill everyone in the game” option
- around 100 people are on the project for 2y (smaller number for 7m of preproduction), in total 2y 7m
- full production is already a thing
- team will still grow
- target date: late 2022/early 2023

Keep in mind that some parts of this can change during the development process.
That pitch reminds me of TOW one to one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The Living Lands mentioned in a book in PoE2's final DLC: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia...lume_XII:_The_Reclamation_of_the_Living_Lands

"The forces of the faithful left Aedyr with an exhortation from the Héamecwyn still ringing in their ears.

'Let not the sullen, wild people of that lawless continent continue to suffer beyond the guiding hand of The Queen That Was And Shall Be Again! Deliver them of their savagery that they might join us in civilization and reap soon the rewards of their newfound piety.

'As your Queen demands, so too do I: take up the burden of empire. Free them from themselves.'"

Bulo

Scholar
Like anyone cares about PoE lore.

For what it's worth, Eora is the only fictional universe in which you can tell your children a story about the time a group of pious pyromaniacs blew up Jesus Christ with a consecrated nuclear bomb and have it actually be true.

passerby

Arcane
If they manage to finish it before TES VI, than the timing for release wil be perfect, in 2022 it will be years since the last high budged fantasy open world.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Like anyone cares about PoE lore.

For what it's worth, Eora is the only fictional universe in which you can tell your children a story about the time a group of pious pyromaniacs blew up Jesus Christ with a consecrated nuclear bomb and have it actually be true.

Yet Obsidian managed to make even that boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom