Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

KK1001

Arbiter
Essence of punk is: the depoliticization the 60s, turning the movement for democracy, egalitarianism into an aesthetic, artistic subculture in the face of reaction that began in response to 1968.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Could you provide any details? I will sadly not encounter anything like this I am level 47 which shows a that there are sadly so many attribute points around that allocation is not really an issue

I was so low in hacking skills that it gave me the option to tell a character "hacking isn't my thing." Not a big deal, the dialog choices are all for flavor in this game, but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Chickenhawk

Barely Literate
Regardless of whether or not Bladerunner is cyberpunk, cyberpunk as a genre draws a lot on noir fiction and it is completely unsurprising that C2077 does as well. Which is where this started.

The Jester

Cipher
The removed childhood heroes :

Solo of Fortune: Morgan Blackhand
1vz5yuzamq751.jpg

Corporate God: Saburo Arasaka
1*ZqmZGHqln1J2rAfMOEk5vQ.png

So Johnny Silverhand that was the street kid's hero become the mandatory, and No Mad, Corpo heroes got axed.
Loaded now? Dishonoredbr

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Vatnik Wumao

Learned
Okay, using a smart mirror doesn't hide my hair, helmet and glasses anymore. 1.05 is off to a good start.

Those Frenchies have always suffered from the auteur problem - "No you cannot reassign our keybinds, you vill play the game the vay VE vont you to play it or not at all."

Is this a general comment about French devs? Because you can rebind keys in that game.

Money exploit still working, tho

Doesn't it bloat and corrupt the saves or something?

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Bladerunner was being retroactively called part of the cyberpunk genre 20 odd years ago when I was writing long essays on the subject at university.
"Retroactively" is the keyword here. The Internet unfortunately unlocked the door to all sorts of disturbing historical revisionism, even in popular culture. As someone who watched that movie in theaters back in the 80's and was a fan for years, it really frustrates me arguing about what it was or wasn't with people who most likely weren't even born back then. The word cyberpunk, no matter when it was first coined, had never been used in popular culture before the 90's, and nobody ever described these movies as "cyberpunk" back in the 80's, nobody had even heard of that word in those days, possibly other than the readers of some obscure scifi novel no one else cared about. Blade Runner's influence on today's cyberpunk genre is pretty obvious, but it's entirely stylistic and superficial. In terms of the story, it has nothing to with "cyberpunk".

The cyberpunk genre in literature goes back to the late 70s. I think actually the biggest influence on everything in this area is Judge Dredd, who dates back to the late 70s. Megacity One is the blueprint of the cyberpunk dystopia. All you need to add to Megacity One to make cyberpunk as we know it is computers and Hong Kong at night (specifically mentioned by Scott as an influence on the aesthetic of the movie). I think a lot of highbrow people were probably influenced by 2000 AD, but because it was a cheap British comic it was too embarrassing to admit :) But Dredd's writers were smart British yoof who'd read Ballard, Dick and Burgess. The French comic artist Moebius is also a big influence on everything in this area too (he directly influenced Ridley Scott).

You're right that the movie wasn't connected to the genre in the public consciousness till the 90s. But nerds who had read Neuromancer and 2000 AD made the connection in the 1980s.

As previously mentioned, cyberpunk genre in literature was not called as such in the 70's. Featuring a "dystopian megacity with neon lights" is not enough material to categorize a movie as cyberpunk, unless that categorization is purely superficial and/or personal It's not even a common feature or a theme in so called cyberpunk movies. IMO to place a movie/story into "cyberpunk" subcategory, it should at least deal with cybernetics as in human-machine connection, human enhancement/augmentation, or cyberspace, VR/AR etc. in terms of the technologies featured. There's no other subject in sci-fi that can specifically be attributed to "cyberpunk". The "punk" part in the movie/story could simply represent a style choice or a rebellious social movement, both of which should be reminiscent of the punk style/movement of the 70's. Otherwise I see no particular reason to categorize a sci-fi movie/story as "cyberpunk" and BR has none of that.

The first proto-cyberpunk novel was The Stars My Destination. Androids is cyberpunk though unclear if Bladerunner is. The themes of humanity are a bit focused on the replicants who are technically human. The robot animals stuff kinda helps as well. The Voight-Kampf test is of course based on the Turing Test. Even Asimov probably counts as Cyberpunk. Humaniform robots, interspecies relationships, dystopian cityscapes or the reverse if you are talking about Aurora.

I recently read Stars and its kind of sad how much The expanse lifts from it. Great novel, that and Nova are short but insanely epic space operas.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Vatnik Wumao
-punk = anti-transcendent/hyper-materialistic
If that was all it took, then 1984 would be cyberpunk.

1984 isn’t anti-transcendent lol.
It pretty much is when detached from the writer and/or his other works, only that the economic layer at the forefront of cyberpunk is replaced by the political one in 1984.

Author isn’t dead tho.
Depends on one's perspective.

just under sixty hours, beaten. Done with this. Patch 1.05 hit as I quit the game after beating it.

I am moving on and not wasting anymore time or money on it. I really did enjoy the later parts of the story, and the side missions that were part of the main story at one point.

Good enough for me, I had enough fun on my PC to warrant the cost. However, I will be waiting a long time to go back. There is so much work to be done on this game, yes you "beat" the game, however that is the only part that works if you stay within those bounds.

The city is empty, dead, and just a long ass way to get to the next mission.

So long and farewell Cyberbug 2077

Turjan

Arcane
Downloading the patch at the moment. Given I have time at the moment, just one question: I don't really see colors right, and here's a pic of the same V I already posted a few times, with exactly the same gear as in the last pic, but in the apartment. Somehow, I have the feeling he never looks like that anywhere else.
SBjF7vf.jpg

Is that just due to my color vision, or is the outside lighting that different that it always looks different even with normal color vision?

My two cents so far (played through Act 1 to the beginning of Act 2):

- Most of the edgelord criticism on the Codex is retarded, and clearly made by people who watched streams instead of actually playing the game. The PC version has bugs for sure, but it's not that buggy, about par for the course for a large open world game.
- The game, similar to all other CDProjektRed's games, is designed around the narrative, rather than around gameplay/world, as some other studios do it. The narrative is quite good, especially in terms of individual dialogues and quests, and CDR is still a master of this, but similarly, the world and gameplay suffer as in their other games.
- One thing I found really annoying is being constantly bombarded by various things as you play. You constantly get phone calls, messages, emails, flashing reminders on UI, quest markers and compasses on your screen, people calling you incessantly to feed you quests and tasks and gigs, and on and on and on. At some point, it almost feels like work, or sensory overload, and you long for the quieter, more desolate RPG worlds of the past.
- I think Witcher 3 is a better game. The main character is more interesting and cooler, the pacing and basic gameplay (with some mods) is more fun, and it feels more like a game than work.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Downloading the patch at the moment. Given I have time at the moment, just one question: I don't really see colors right, and here's a pic of the same V I already posted a few times, with exactly the same gear as in the last pic, but in the apartment. Somehow, I have the feeling he never looks like that anywhere else.
Is that just due to my color vision, or is the outside lighting that different that it always looks different even with normal color vision?

Some of it's due to lighting but his colours appear to be more like white and navy and lighter blue here while in the crouching pic it looked more like white and grey.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I can't really decide which mixed breed she is. She is definitely south european, mixed with what? Native americans? Maybe hindu? She is kinda dark, is that just heavy tan, or some negro blood? Facial features are nothing like negro or native americans, its weird that she is so dark skinned in game.

She is from the Outer Worlds school of art design. Ambiguously ethnic brown people. Because the entitled bigoted HUWYTE SJWs who design this stuff see everyone not like them as 'people of color' = brown.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Speaking about Outer Worlds, CP2077 feels a lot like a mix of Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and Outer Worlds.

If Obsidian nails the next Outer Worlds, CP2077 will be always compared to it and Obsidian will be in a very nice position.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Except the bugs, glitches, etc, is this game good, enganging?

Does it have potential (after it's pathed out) to be good a FPS RPG?

Last edited:

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Currently torn between clearing all out this side content or just mainlaining the QUEST and getting it out of the way til they fix this jank, tho my enthusiasm will never be greater than it is right now.
It's FUN for the most part, if I ignore all my other gaming needs. Getting consistent 60fps on ultra/high settings after giving up on raytracing despite my RTX CARD.
Funny how quickly CD PROJEKT went from heroes of the disenfranchised or whatever to evil pieces of shit lol

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Bladerunner was being retroactively called part of the cyberpunk genre 20 odd years ago when I was writing long essays on the subject at university.
"Retroactively" is the keyword here. The Internet unfortunately unlocked the door to all sorts of disturbing historical revisionism, even in popular culture. As someone who watched that movie in theaters back in the 80's and was a fan for years, it really frustrates me arguing about what it was or wasn't with people who most likely weren't even born back then. The word cyberpunk, no matter when it was first coined, had never been used in popular culture before the 90's, and nobody ever described these movies as "cyberpunk" back in the 80's, nobody had even heard of that word in those days, possibly other than the readers of some obscure scifi novel no one else cared about. Blade Runner's influence on today's cyberpunk genre is pretty obvious, but it's entirely stylistic and superficial. In terms of the story, it has nothing to with "cyberpunk".

The cyberpunk genre in literature goes back to the late 70s. I think actually the biggest influence on everything in this area is Judge Dredd, who dates back to the late 70s. Megacity One is the blueprint of the cyberpunk dystopia. All you need to add to Megacity One to make cyberpunk as we know it is computers and Hong Kong at night (specifically mentioned by Scott as an influence on the aesthetic of the movie). I think a lot of highbrow people were probably influenced by 2000 AD, but because it was a cheap British comic it was too embarrassing to admit :) But Dredd's writers were smart British yoof who'd read Ballard, Dick and Burgess. The French comic artist Moebius is also a big influence on everything in this area too (he directly influenced Ridley Scott).

You're right that the movie wasn't connected to the genre in the public consciousness till the 90s. But nerds who had read Neuromancer and 2000 AD made the connection in the 1980s.

As previously mentioned, cyberpunk genre in literature was not called as such in the 70's. Featuring a "dystopian megacity with neon lights" is not enough material to categorize a movie as cyberpunk, unless that categorization is purely superficial and/or personal It's not even a common feature or a theme in so called cyberpunk movies. IMO to place a movie/story into "cyberpunk" subcategory, it should at least deal with cybernetics as in human-machine connection, human enhancement/augmentation, or cyberspace, VR/AR etc. in terms of the technologies featured. There's no other subject in sci-fi that can specifically be attributed to "cyberpunk". The "punk" part in the movie/story could simply represent a style choice or a rebellious social movement, both of which should be reminiscent of the punk style/movement of the 70's. Otherwise I see no particular reason to categorize a sci-fi movie/story as "cyberpunk" and BR has none of that.

The first proto-cyberpunk novel was The Stars My Destination. Androids is cyberpunk though unclear if Bladerunner is. The themes of humanity are a bit focused on the replicants who are technically human. The robot animals stuff kinda helps as well. The Voight-Kampf test is of course based on the Turing Test. Even Asimov probably counts as Cyberpunk. Humaniform robots, interspecies relationships, dystopian cityscapes or the reverse if you are talking about Aurora.

I recently read Stars and its kind of sad how much The expanse lifts from it. Great novel, that and Nova are short but insanely epic space operas.

Does the expanse really lift that much? There are only a few aspects of stars I'd call iconic enough to be lifted. Jaunting obviously, and one or two more. Anything else is pretty generic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom