Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

racofer

Thread Incliner
Someone finally asking the REAL questions: https://af.gog.com/forum/general/wh...ical_improvments_in_games/page1?as=1649904300

IQPjdXl.png

rDwTwOv.png

luxLuk0.png

Every game now has some if not all of these "enhancements", which I immediately have to disable because of how fucked up they are. I still remember people going soy boy crazy with some of these in Skyrim with the many ENB mods, or how making everything darker at night in open world games (again, Skyrim, but this dates back to at least Morrowind) made it somehow "realistic" yet completely ignoring how your vision would work in the same situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Obviously, as it should be. If something is categorized as "sci-fi" it should contain both science and fiction, simple as that.

That's a highly ignorant comment. There was no such "backlash" in the 80's and there had been so many sci-fi movies as well as books, including Asimov's, that dealt with "stories of individuals" in dystopian worlds before and after BR. In fact, THX-1138 by George Lucas himself was one such movie. Cyberpunk is a superficial genre mostly focuses on style rather than substance, that's why people consider BR's dark streets with neon lights as a major "inspiration" for it, it wasn't a "backlash" for anything.

That's a highly nonspecific description which certainly is inadequate when defining a genre. Is Minority Report, for instance, a "cyberpunk" movie? Never heard anyone claim that but it certainly deals with the exact thing you described.

You really haven't a clue here. Yes, cyberpunk was a backlash against mainstream SF. I'd suggest reading interviews with Moebius from the mid-70s onwards and Gibson from any point from the early 80s. Sterling is also a really good guide to the development of cyberpunk as a genre. But you keep doing old man shouts at cloud.

Vatnik Wumao
On a different note,
Given that Johnny taking over is a Theseus' ship sort of situation, wouldn't it be possible that letting Johnny take over the body would nonetheless mean that V's stream of consciousness is preserved? Johnny himself (and Victor) mentioned early on that your two personalities were becoming intertwined, so giving him your body seems more to be the case of a person with multiple personality disorder discarding his original personality in favor of the second one.

I don't believe it is a Theseus ship situation. The final stage seems pretty abrupt.
It might be abrupt, but it's still a change of software (basically deleting the original OS all at once rather than continuing to slowly uninstall it) rather than of hardware.

I prefer the angle from a narrative/lore perspective rather than the philosophical one.

It would not be consistent story wise for this process to not be comparable to death. Both Johnny and Misty tells you during various part of the game that with each passing second we are coming someone else. When discussing relic, there is this clear demarcation.
From a narrative perspective, I agree. Issue is that it kind of ruins my sense of immersion when those details aren't taken into account.

And on that note, unless you're playing your V as a literal Johnny fanboy (which you can't really do anyway beyond having your V often agree with Johnny's remarks), sacrificing the little time that you have left for Johnny is a poor ending narrativewise.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Female body + female voice. Dunno if genitals count.
I don't think genitals matter at all, it's purely cosmetic stuff.

Rivers did like an eating out animation on me during the sex scene even tho I have a benis.

River is obviously gay though. My playthrough was as a straight male, and he pretty much flirted outrageously. Particularly during the jambalaya scene. Gay af.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
y and panam flirted with me

they literally just didn't care to check for it before the actual final romance quests lol

Gerrard

Arcane
Someone finally asking the REAL questions: https://af.gog.com/forum/general/wh...ical_improvments_in_games/page1?as=1649904300

IQPjdXl.png

rDwTwOv.png

luxLuk0.png

Every game now has some if not all of these "enhancements", which I immediately have to disable because of how fucked up they are. I still remember people going soy boy crazy with some of these in Skyrim with the many ENB mods, or how making everything darker at night in open world games (again, Skyrim, but this dates back to at least Morrowind) made it somehow "realistic" yet completely ignoring how your vision would work in the same situation.
>eyes don't do HDR
Guy's a fucking retard.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I do tend to use depth of field, it helps to camouflage low res models and textures at distance. Other visuals "enhancements" like chromatic aberration are completely trash tho, there's games like Bloodborne with competely busted artstytles due do that shit.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
From a narrative perspective, I agree. Issue is that it kind of ruins my sense of immersion when those details aren't taken into account.

I understand where you are coming from, but at some point we have to suspend our disbelief for the sake of author intent. Just gotta do it unfortunately.

And on that note, unless you're playing your V as a literal Johnny fanboy (which you can't really do anyway beyond having your V often agree with Johnny's remarks), sacrificing the little time that you have left for Johnny is a poor ending narrativewise.

I actually like the sacrifice ending. it shows that V affected JS as much as JS did to V, and the
cut scene at Columbarium where JS places the bullet pendant into the grave mirrors the one at motel when Johnny gives the tag to V

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Bladerunner was being retroactively called part of the cyberpunk genre 20 odd years ago when I was writing long essays on the subject at university.
"Retroactively" is the keyword here. The Internet unfortunately unlocked the door to all sorts of disturbing historical revisionism, even in popular culture. As someone who watched that movie in theaters back in the 80's and was a fan for years, it really frustrates me arguing about what it was or wasn't with people who most likely weren't even born back then. The word cyberpunk, no matter when it was first coined, had never been used in popular culture before the 90's, and nobody ever described these movies as "cyberpunk" back in the 80's, nobody had even heard of that word in those days, possibly other than the readers of some obscure scifi novel no one else cared about. Blade Runner's influence on today's cyberpunk genre is pretty obvious, but it's entirely stylistic and superficial. In terms of the story, it has nothing to with "cyberpunk".

The cyberpunk genre in literature goes back to the late 70s. I think actually the biggest influence on everything in this area is Judge Dredd, who dates back to the late 70s. Megacity One is the blueprint of the cyberpunk dystopia. All you need to add to Megacity One to make cyberpunk as we know it is computers and Hong Kong at night (specifically mentioned by Scott as an influence on the aesthetic of the movie). I think a lot of highbrow people were probably influenced by 2000 AD, but because it was a cheap British comic it was too embarrassing to admit :) But Dredd's writers were smart British yoof who'd read Ballard, Dick and Burgess. The French comic artist Moebius is also a big influence on everything in this area too (he directly influenced Ridley Scott).

You're right that the movie wasn't connected to the genre in the public consciousness till the 90s. But nerds who had read Neuromancer and 2000 AD made the connection in the 1980s.

Last edited:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Anyone tried to not agree with johny, like not agree at all? Will he still overtake my own ego in the end, and i will be left with few months of life in my own body?
I think this mainly depends on you doing his side mission an by that pushing the chip corruption pass 50%? I imagine that if the corruption is low you don't get the option to storm Arasaka via him.

At least that's what I'm guessing happens.

Semiurge

Cipher
Motherhood is respected in traditional societies because it's the way the tribe perpetuates itself through time, which is THE most important factor of all, without which nothing else is possible

Motherhood, but not necessarily mothers themselves. It is a subtle and subjective nuance, I admit. In christianity and its offshoots, motherhood may transform a whore into a madonna, but such societies that follow the bible closely still adhere to a hierarchy in which a man is always above a woman, presumably because of religious beliefs, the physical power difference between the sexes and the added responsibilities that such power bestows upon men. So then you could ask, "could I respect those with fewer responsibilities than I have?" A child for example represents a society's future, like a woman also does, but do you respect a child like you would an equal?

I'm okay with feminists demanding equal treatment for women from those with real or perceived power, regardless of their actual feelings towards women. But I draw the line at mobbing dissenters and whitewashing science.

The over-valuing of "intellect" and "freedom" are precisely part of the cuckery (in the broadest sense, not just re. Feminism). Individualism (and freedom and intellect) can be valuable to a society, but also a dangerous vice. Instinct and intuition are better guides in the long run, although they are such only because of evolution, which comes at a tremendous cost over the millennia. For example the instinct and intuition that makes alpha males beat nerds like us and take our lunch money is evolutionarily proper: there are more ways of missing a target than of hitting it, and the tribe is (on the whole) far better off following the traditional ways that have led to its present survival, than going off after the harebrained schemes of autistic "geniuses." That only changes with a big society, nation-sized, where genius can be filtered via institutional habits and turned to useful account (useful to the ethnic group, it's survival and flourishing, even dominance).

What are vices and what are of value kind of depends on what you want of a society, your values. Longevity with stagnation and low technology, a short but prosperous period ending in a cataclysm, ultra-militaristic hivelike society that gets to colonize other planets... The majority in the west wants everyone to prosper equally if possible with a minimum of responsibilities, but it comes at a price. Constant economic growth is not sustainable.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist

bloodlover

Arcane
Lmao someone on Steam is complaining that Keanu ruined the game because they spent most of the game's budget on him.:lol: Wtf is wrong with people?

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
The cyberpunk genre in literature goes back to the late 70s. I think actually the biggest influence on everything in this area is Judge Dredd, who dates back to the late 70s. Megacity One is the blueprint of the cyberpunk dystopia. All you need to add to Megacity One to make cyberpunk as we know it is computers and Hong Kong at night (specifically mentioned by Scott as an influence on the aesthetic of the movie). I think a lot of highbrow people were probably influenced by 2000 AD, but because it was a cheap British comic it was too embarrassing to admit :) But Dredd's writers were smart British yoof who'd read Ballard, Dick and Burgess. The French comic artist Moebius is also a big influence on everything in this area too (he directly influenced Ridley Scott).

You're right that the movie wasn't connected to the genre in the public consciousness till the 90s. But nerds who had read Neuromancer and 2000 AD made the connection in the 1980s.

Moebius and O'Bannon's 1976 'The Long Tomorrow' is another major influence from comics of the 70s. 'Metal Hurlant', the magazine publishing a lot of Moebius' work, generally but that story in particular in the imagining of the world as well as the story centred around a private detective and femme fatale. Latter obviously links back up with the film noir elements you see in what was later called cyberpunk. Can actually see a nod to that story in a quest in this game too.

Quillon

Arcane
Lmao someone on Steam is complaining that Keanu ruined the game because they spent most of the game's budget on him.:lol: Wtf is wrong with people?

they prolly blew most of the budget on iterating on stuff; even after they started marketing on the game, the game kept changing designwise, UI kept changing and shit we don't know about, very finicky designers CDPR must have

Turjan

Arcane
Anyone tried to not agree with johny, like not agree at all? Will he still overtake my own ego in the end, and i will be left with few months of life in my own body?
The only way to "survive" for more than 6 months seems to be the Arasaka way. Which is depressing in its own way. Only Johnny can use your body for longer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom