Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's command Codexers in Syrian Warfare and crush Daesh

mondblut

Arcane
FFFFuuuuu my Grad! And I was just going to request a resupply truck and change a ride again :argh:

Okay, I see that the quest flag is still attached to my expropriated vehicle. What if I drive it wherever the medics were supposed to go? We might still cross that quest out, medics or not. If with Allah's help we can load dangerous high explosives upon rails without blowing ourselves up, sure we can tie or nail a bunch of soon to be martyrs to the roof of a BMP?

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Are the freaking prisoners finally rescued?

Yes. Brought to the evac zone by Endemic. Received a BMP-2 in exchange.

FFFFuuuuu my Grad! And I was just going to request a resupply truck and change a ride again :argh:

Okay, I see that the quest flag is still attached to my expropriated vehicle. What if I drive it wherever the medics were supposed to go? We might still cross that quest out, medics or not. If with Allah's help we can load dangerous high explosives upon rails without blowing ourselves up, sure we can tie or nail a bunch of soon to be martyrs to the roof of a BMP?
Yeah, I checked. There is no way to complete the mission once the doctors get out of the BMP. All the more since they are now dead.

Andnjord

Arcane
Orders for this turn:

Option A
h6B9NyV.png

In case the area north (according to the mini-map) is empty of enemies.
Move up to those tank dug-outs, and wait for reinforcements. With all this open ground in front I can't risk my handsome brother's life. Make sure to follow unquestionably and with great aggression any potential push by our tank commanders.

Option B:

If the area north isn't clear when we reach the dug-outs, then spend this turn clearing it with liberal use of RPO's. Try and keep the buildings between us and the artillery group for cover against their shells. Being that close to us they shouldn't have a good firing arc to fire over the buildings if we stick close to them.

Insh'Allah!!:outrage::outrage::outrage:

Fun fact: did you know that Inshallah.com is the biggest muslim dating website in France with over 4 milion users? Neither did I until I tried to check the spelling of Insh'Allah. Imagine if there was a Christian dating website called Deus Vult :lol:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
On one hand, I want to push forward and support the frontline, on the other, I don't really want my new IFV to get damaged. So I'll move the squads in one of the building just ahead to fire at any targets, leaving the BTR behind it.
l9GdDOZ.png

If the tanks move forward this turn, once they've crossed the field, board the BTR, cross the field and then put the squads in cover in one of the houses.

Fun fact: did you know that Inshallah.com is the biggest muslim dating website in France with over 4 milion users? Neither did I until I tried to check the spelling of Insh'Allah. Imagine if there was a Christian dating website called Deus Vult :lol:

One (French) catholic dating site that I have heard of is called theotokos. At least the name is more subtle.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Helly in Russia, BMP is "humorously" called "братская могила пехоты" (letters do match), I.E., "infantry mass grave". So, if things start to get hot your people may want to exit it or face the quick death together with the armor.

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Helly in Russia, BMP is "humorously" called "братская машина пехоты" (letters do match), I.E., "infantry mass grave". So, if things start to get hot your people may want to exit it or face the quick death together with the armor.
To be fair it is the case of the first generation IFV of all countries.

Dayyālu

Arcane
39kZP6b.png
Look! An ISIS attack!

*mumbling*

39kZP6b.png
I don't give a shit too. Hey, there's a car there, fire a shot. Maybe it's even ours. Also, how the hell did we end up here? I told you the black building! Now go back before that weird guy tries to make me fuck a goat again.

*worried, puzzled mumbling*

39kZP6b.png
I got standards, right? It's sheep, not goats. Fluffier.

DFRXqZT.jpg

Endemic

Arcane
If I may sidetrack for a moment to discuss this comment:

Helly in Russia, BMP is "humorously" called "братская могила пехоты" (letters do match), I.E., "infantry mass grave". So, if things start to get hot your people may want to exit it or face the quick death together with the armor.

I think that was said in the context of the vehicle being a bigger target than dispersed infantry, and in urban warfare particularly. The BMP offers significantly more protection and firepower than the contemporary M113 used by NATO-aligned nations (or the east Asian equivalent like the Type 60). The typical American GI in Vietnam had a thin layer of aluminum (~38mm) between himself and an RPG, and frontal protection was only guaranteed against 7.62mm bullets, due to the lack of slope and aluminium's reduced effectiveness vs steel. The armament (before the specialized versions) is just a .50 cal machine gun, which won't exactly make much impression on the BMP-1's frontal profile. In fairness the M113 is designated as an APC, but the concept of IFVs didn't exist elsewhere at the time so it's the closest comparison.

Even today, the base armour of your typical IFV is very thin steel or aluminium, with thick layers of addon NERA and ERA needed to stop anything bigger than a 12.7mm. The CV90, popularly used by international troops of several nations in Afghanistan for example, has base armour of 20mm steel (front hull) and 10+6mm (sides). The side hull has conformal fuel tanks located between the two layers of steel.

qterGFP.jpg

Obviously this isn't going to stop any relevant anti-tank weapon. Enter the CV9040C:

DXz9A45.jpg

Even with this much composite armour bolted on, a Metis or Kornet will still liquidate the vehicle very easily. There is such a thing as too much armour for the purpose; the German Puma is approaching 50 tons to provide all-round protection from single and tandem RPG weapons, for example. This just reduces strategic mobility and ups cost dramatically. The 9040C is intended to protect the occupants from weaker ATGMs and RPGs, and enemy IFVs firing 30mm rounds in the frontal arc, so weight doesn't skyrocket. This is good enough in most cases for the kind of wars it is deployed in.

The BMP-1 was designed to cover the troops it deployed, protect them from small arms and be NBC-proof, things which the Type 60/M113/etc simply didn't accomplish to the same standard in the 1960s. As a bonus it had a few ATGMs capable of engaging contemporary tanks at up to 3km. It's extremely crude by today's standards, for 1967 it was revolutionary.

Last edited:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
SsNAvyJ.png
: :x

39hb47W.png
: A clear vindication of the SAA doctrine of rushing headlong into the foe, unsupported, to "die" a martyr's "death". Allah the Most Merciful, Allah of Great Justice, Allah the Beneficent, has provided.

I think we've all learned an important lesson here :smug:

I'll be moving with Ol' Willy to the north. Maybe we can link up with Dayyālu and form a Fitan' Force of Furry Fury?

What's my crew look like? Any dismounts?

mondblut

Arcane
Yeah, I checked. There is no way to complete the mission once the doctors get out of the BMP. All the more since they are now dead.

Hey, the quest flag hangs on BMP and not on medics, I had to ask. Ok, game, you win this time.

So, are we on defensive now? Then let's do the defensive thing and wait for the enemies to come. Hide me among the buildings where Azira is.

And for the love of allah, stop rotating the map. North goes on top, always. My head is spinning - where are the enemies? Where are the friends? You shaitan!

mondblut

Arcane
Endemic, I think the main thing causing the perception of the problem of flimsiness for IFVs is that people compare them to tanks since they are both armored fighting vehicle.

Exactly. These things are glorified trucks with some auxiliary firepower, and should be handled as such. If it engages known enemies with AT capability on the offensive, you are doing it wrong.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
SsNAvyJ.png
: :x

39hb47W.png
: A clear vindication of the SAA doctrine of rushing headlong into the foe, unsupported, to "die" a martyr's "death". Allah the Most Merciful, Allah of Great Justice, Allah the Beneficent, has provided.

I think we've all learned an important lesson here :smug:

I'll be moving with Ol' Willy to the north. Maybe we can link up with Dayyālu and form a Fitan' Force of Furry Fury?

What's my crew look like? Any dismounts?
No. The only infantry in the area is Helli.

Again, if any of MoistCloister , Catacombs , vazha of Egosphere wanna come, it is not like they are anywhere useful at the moment AND you guys have transport.

Hey, the quest flag hangs on BMP and not on medics, I had to ask. Ok, game, you win this time.

So, are we on defensive now? Then let's do the defensive thing and wait for the enemies to come. Hide me among the buildings where Azira is.

And for the love of allah, stop rotating the map. North goes on top, always. My head is spinning - where are the enemies? Where are the friends? You shaitan!
I may have been unclear because of excessive froglish, but the remaining orders are :
- Clear up the point in the South (in front of darkpatriot / you / SmartCheetah / Azira
- Clear up the North West
- make sure that while cleaning up those two points the base is not lost, which at this point is unlikely since most of the armor power of Daesh is gone and the base received NDF reinforcements

As for the camera angle, well, sorry, I keep rotating when playing :)

mondblut

Arcane
I may have been unclear because of excessive froglish, but the remaining orders are :
- Clear up the point in the South (in front of darkpatriot / you / SmartCheetah / Azira
- Clear up the North West

Fucking games always cheat. Okay, if some martyrs volunteer to die for Allah advance, we follow. At a distance. Cautiously.

Send us a tank or two, dammit.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
darkpatriot the thing is, in last forty years USSR/Russia led mostly anti-insurgency wars - Afghanistan, Chechnya, you name it. In such conflicts, insurgents often have the upper hand and initiative due to effect of surprise attack and ambush. That is - imagine Soviet convoy somewhere in Afghanistan, moving on the road and getting ambushed by sheepfuckers. There's no time for proper positioning and maintaining formation; in such case on RPG mine and BMP is done together with anyone inside. Along with the mines, this is the reason why Soviet/Russian infantry often rode BMPs not inside, but on top.

Guess what, Syria Warfare is exactly like this, with enemies popping out of nowhere. That's why I insist that infantry should pave the way and spot any unfriendlies. :smug:

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ol' Willy, let's do it the right way, all I want right now is a (non-armoured) target.
As soon as we encounter any kind of opposition that might require our help my troops are out and in the nearest building. I'll give more detailed orders once things get going.

vazha

Arcane
I ll tag along too, if there are no more prishuners to be heroically rescued (like I did any of that lol)

Endemic

Arcane
There's no time for proper positioning and maintaining formation; in such case on RPG mine and BMP is done together with anyone inside. Along with the mines, this is the reason why Soviet/Russian infantry often rode BMPs not inside, but on top.

The vulnerability to mines was lessened somewhat by adding more floor armour, and in the BMP-2, switching the internal layout\crew positions. Obviously with more modern IFVs, there are additional measures like shaping the floor to deflect the blast away, raised ride height, reinforced seats etc. The same issue with mines happened to the M113 in Vietnam, I believe it was one of the main reasons the US pursued the development of the M2/M3 Bradley. In the meantime they added applique armour (with the A3 upgrade).

Anyway, new orders... anyone need a ride into the base?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom