Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I had 0 interest in Classic the moment they said they aren't going to buff bosses or fix the glaring problems with the economy, PvP system, drop rates, and lack of endgame content outside of raiding. I see they are continuing that trend. I do want to play arenas, though, hmmm. On the other hand, I have too many other quality games to play.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Classic had an opportunity to be something really interesting in the same way that Old School Runescape did it but it's a shame that they're taking the most boring approach possible. For anyone that doesn't know OSRS branched off into it's own thing and sort of reimagining what would've happened if Runescape 3 never happened.

WoW Classic: TBC should've been a reimagining of the TBC-era combined with what they know about people liking in vanilla. What if Outland were added to the game without flying mounts and the honor PvP system intact for example? A whole lotta people who came back to WoW because of Classic hold the opinion that flying mounts ruined the game. You'd have to retrofit a zone or two for that and it'd certainly take more effort but that's something I'd consider playing.

This is fucking boring, likely has zero appeal to the overwhelming majority of people playing classic and I'd be very surprised if those servers retain a decent population after the initial buzz. Then again, nuBlizzard shit eaters continue to surprise me so it'll probably be a mega-hit.
decline.png

PVP system of the vanilla is cancerous as fuck, that's the one good thing that TBC improves.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Hmm, this means I can have a bit of a nostalgia jag and play a cute Draenei shamaness, like I did when I first played WoW years ago :) Such a lovely starter area, with some of the most extraordinarily evocative background music in any videogame ever, and some quite poignant lore too.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Hmm, this means I can have a bit of a nostalgia jag and play a cute Draenei shamaness, like I did when I first played WoW years ago :) Such a lovely starter area, with some of the most extraordinarily evocative background music in any videogame ever, and some quite poignant lore too.
Aesthetically, it's pretty good, but I find it quite a mess in quest design, especially when compared to the Blood Elves' starting areas. Dar'khan is much better presented and built-up than whatever the end boss for the Draenei was.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Ill play it for sure, only thing im still in doubt is if im going to roll on a fresh server with no transfers or going to port my old classic characters.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Aesthetically, it's pretty good, but I find it quite a mess in quest design, especially when compared to the Blood Elves' starting areas. Dar'khan is much better presented and built-up than whatever the end boss for the Draenei was.

Yeah I've heard that said before. But I didn't find the Blood Elves area to flow that well for me personally (admittedly I only ever had one char do that).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Draenei Is NOT a word you want to type on bing or google with filters off.
..... its disturbing to say the least.

ADL

Prophet
PVP system of the vanilla is cancerous as fuck, that's the one good thing that TBC improves.
This may very well be true, I don't know as I didn't experience much of it in TBC-era given that everyone was flying around and avoiding each other but it killed open world PvP so what's the point of a better PvP system if no one's doing it?

Lacrymas

Arcane
This may very well be true, I don't know as I didn't experience much of it in TBC-era given that everyone was flying around and avoiding each other but it killed open world PvP so what's the point of a better PvP system if no one's doing it?
He meant arenas. Open world PvP has always been a joke.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
They're adding paid boosts to TBC, letting you skip all the old world content and start with a 58 in Outland. Blizz couldn't help themselves. Game is dead on arrival.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  • Draenei and Blood Elves in pre-patch
  • One paid Level 58 boost per account including a mount, dungeon blues, and limited to Classic races.

You still have to level your twink/goat. Pre patch is good news, hope I can get a blood elf in to naxx before Outland releases.

I had a fun year playing Classic from launch, but then people realized Mages are broken in several ways. While they have broken, "Do everything" class design and insane utility, more importantly they also have unlimited-target AoE. First, this ruined large scale PvP as all it took was mages mashing frost nova and arcane explosion to clear a raid of 40+ players solo in a few seconds by themselves with opposing players being powerless without using consumables. Much worse, they can do dungeon pulls to level others, generating insane amounts of gold and making sure everyone sits in instances, instead of grinding and questing in the open world. The economy got destroyed because of this. The open world died because of this outside of raid nights in the respective zones. I had to stop playing because the game became a full-time, unpaid job. It was a chore, farming for hours daily just to get gold that became worth less and less every subsequent day. The stuff I sold got cheaper and costs of what I bought got higher. It was a treadmill and I was effectively forced to stop playing the game.

It's legitimately not hyperbole to say that mages single-handedly ruined Classic. Also playing a Warrior (my main, and only character for about 9 months) is fucking aids unless you raid log, since in the raid instance is the ONLY time a Warrior exceeds at anything in Classic. Warriors have BY FAR the biggest expenses to operate adequately at a high level (at month 3 after launch, expect to pay at least 5000 for MANDATORY gear such as Edgemasters Handguards, and 100+g every raid night for consumes), yet are the worst class at making gold outside of charging others for services which gets you a bad reputation. And to think they're only good as a MT in TBC. Expect lots of boosted hunters and warlocks from ex-Warrior players soon.

No fresh TBC servers is very bad news. With mage boosting, botting, and gold buying in Classic, the economy WILL be ruined day 1 TBC launch and get even worse. Even though fresh servers would only reset the timer on these issues, it would at least allow new players to not be immediately priced out of playing the endgame day 1 and try to stay afloat in-game. I seriously hope Blizz reconsiders their server releases and adds 'Fresh TBC' servers as an option. Otherwise, there will be horrendous player retention from any new players coming in with TBC.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I had a fun year playing Classic from launch, but then people realized Mages are broken in several ways. While they have broken, "Do everything" class design and insane utility, more importantly they also have unlimited-target AoE. First, this ruined large scale PvP as all it took was mages mashing frost nova and arcane explosion to clear a raid of 40+ players solo in a few seconds by themselves with opposing players being powerless without using consumables. Much worse, they can do dungeon pulls to level others, generating insane amounts of gold and making sure everyone sits in instances, instead of grinding and questing in the open world. The economy got destroyed because of this. The open world died because of this outside of raid nights in the respective zones. I had to stop playing because the game became a full-time, unpaid job. It was a chore, farming for hours daily just to get gold that became worth less and less every subsequent day. The stuff I sold got cheaper and costs of what I bought got higher. It was a treadmill and I was effectively forced to stop playing the game.

It's legitimately not hyperbole to say that mages single-handedly ruined Classic. Also playing a Warrior (my main, and only character for about 9 months) is fucking aids unless you raid log, since in the raid instance is the ONLY time a Warrior exceeds at anything in Classic. Warriors have BY FAR the biggest expenses to operate adequately at a high level (at month 3 after launch, expect to pay at least 5000 for MANDATORY gear such as Edgemasters Handguards, and 100+g every raid night for consumes), yet are the worst class at making gold outside of charging others for services which gets you a bad reputation. And to think they're only good as a MT in TBC. Expect lots of boosted hunters and warlocks from ex-Warrior players soon.

No fresh TBC servers is very bad news. With mage boosting, botting, and gold buying in Classic, the economy WILL be ruined day 1 TBC launch and get even worse. Even though fresh servers would only reset the timer on these issues, it would at least allow new players to not be immediately priced out of playing the endgame day 1 and try to stay afloat in-game. I seriously hope Blizz reconsiders their server releases and adds 'Fresh TBC' servers as an option. Otherwise, there will be horrendous player retention from any new players coming in with TBC.
I've been saying these exact things ever since they announced Classic, so no surprise there.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
They're adding paid boosts to TBC, letting you skip all the old world content and start with a 58 in Outland. Blizz couldn't help themselves. Game is dead on arrival.

Way to ruin it...

Level 60 blood elf hour 2.

You can't boost characters of the new races. Also the boost is limited to one character per account.

Not saying it's perfect, but without the boost I'm going to have a hard time convincing friends to start playing for TBC content.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Way to ruin it...

Level 60 blood elf hour 2.

You can't boost characters of the new races. Also the boost is limited to one character per account.

Not saying it's perfect, but without the boost I'm going to have a hard time convincing friends to start playing for TBC content.

One of the main reasons for the decline of WoW is that you would see a level 80 guy, and you wouldn't be sure that he beat Stratholme in his early 50s or whatever. The learning experience wasn't there for most people, and you couldn't trust them.
I quit the game late in WotLK and even doing heroics and pick up raids with my small group we had to check gear of the randoms, because we couldn't be sure they know how to play. Check the guy who wants to tank, he has very little defense. Stacks stamina instead. Has to be explained why this is bad. Nobody who played from level 1 to level 80 with a tank class would need this explained to them. Same with boss mechanics, and system interactions, etc. Boosts make it so there is no trust between two high level characters that both know how the game works. One might've just bought the character.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
If you think that not having boosting would mean people wouldn't buy their characters, I've got a bridge to sell ya.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
If you think that not having boosting would mean people wouldn't buy their characters, I've got a bridge to sell ya.

Using that same logic, lets legalize murder too. I mean, people murder even when its illegal, so why bother, right? Obviously I am exaggerating for comedic effect, but it LITERALLY is the same logic.
Ideally, we'd have some measures taken to prevent, or make difficult, or punish, the sale of characters. This should happen regardless of boosts existing or not.

Avarize

Magister
This is the reason I won't be playing TBC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom