Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Finished another batch of player portraits in celebration of the patch, up for grabs for those who want'em. Also fixed some ghost pixels in the last set I put up.

Bob-l.png
Bob-s.png
Jaeger-l.png
Jaeger-s.png
Droopy-l.png
Droopy-s.png
Itchy-l.png
Itchy-s.png
Wheezy-l.png
Wheezy-s.png
Hank-l.png
Hank-s.png
Theo-l.png
Theo-s.png
Ulf-l.png
Ulf-s.png

.ZIP

Tygrende

Arbiter
About jet skis - you can steal them if you're done with Core City. Assuming you already did the oligarch questline, there's nothing essential that would make turning the whole city hostile stop your from finishing the game. It's just one station.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
About jet skis - you can steal them if you're done with Core City. Assuming you already did the oligarch questline, there's nothing essential that would make turning the whole city hostile stop your from finishing the game. It's just one station.

There are a lot of shekel dispensers in that caravanserai.

Tygrende

Arbiter

There are a lot of shekel dispensers in that caravanserai.
Nothing you can't do without. CC doesn't even have any essential traders, with maybe the exception of Harlan for high quality electronic components if you joined CoreTech. The point is, you can steal a jet just fine, there's just somewhat hefty consequences for doing so and it requires getting out of the typical "everyone has to like me" RPG mindset.

CHEMS

Scholar
So i did the following:

>got 6.6k charons through crime, murder and pickpocketing everyone in the institute
>went back to the docks and bought the freighter with discount because i always have high mercantile
>moved the freighter back to its position before the update
>sold back to Ray
>removed all the parts from the freighter because now the camera can't detect me
>bought back for a pittance
>put back the parts and sold for profit

GET FUCKED, RAY. I'M SMARTER THAN YOU DUMBASS!

Supermedo

Augur
Which NPC or where do you discover that stacking Spore Infection will take me to pulsating roots, I always play the game blind and try to give myself a chance before reaching to a walkthrough.

I'm supposed to open the gates to Tchort, I figured out returning the power grid and repairing the gate mechanism through normal conversation with NPCs and discovery.

I explored the mushroom forest and didn't find anything and I read all the logs in Caerus Residential, it mention the forest but in no way did it mention anything about Mycokardia and getting spore infection.

did I miss something?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Ray's was never meant to reward stealth and theft skills.
What? He has dialogue acknowledging when you steal things and jets.

Styg clearly didn't originally intend for the place to be theft-proof—official acknowledgement that Ray's isn't theft-proof and that it's possible to rob the place, however, isn't the same as deliberately intending that players rob the shop blind every playthrough.

I think that Styg intended Ray's to be very difficult to rob of jetskis and components, while the office is much easier to rob. Since his entire player base are grognards, it turned out that we had little to no trouble robbing Ray's of anything not nailed down. Hence, he's made it even harder, and finally impossible without turning the entire zone permanently hostile (and I disagree with him on that, by the way).

Rewarding Mercantile, however, was clearly very intentional. Ray's is THE premier reward for Mercantile now, other than secret inventories. There are minor dialogue trees related to haggling for every jetski, a Mercantile-based discount gradient for each, and the antique can be sold to him for a large sum with high Mercantile.

You say the existence of dialogue is proof that Ray's was meant to be robbed. While I acknowledge this, I say that Styg never intended the place to be robbed blind or for it to be a primary means of rewarding theft skills, which is borne out by his repeated attempts to stop it being robbed blind. The massively huge truckload of locked-away treasure seeded throughout the entire game is and always will be the primary means of rewarding subterfuge skills.

Black Angel

Arcane
did I miss something?
If I recall correctly, old man specifically tells you not to linger in the forest for too long. So, you actually supposed to do the opposite of what he says.
Not gonna lie, I learned how to progress there only from the forums.
Yeah, I learned that too from the forums. Supposedly at some patch they tweaked the dialogue to better convey the intention behind the debuff, but I don't know how true that is. And even then, it's still a pretty convoluted way for our character to progress in that specific area. Maybe if they add another, more convincing hint in Caerus Residential with the related researcher taking a deep breath of the mushroom (for science!) only to find him/herself awaken somewhere else.... but that still doesn't explain how tf did our character ended where they were after completing the debuff because the map layout before destroying the 'boss' just doesn't make sense.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
You know what's the real irony? First time I entered the Mushroom Forest I wore Bio-Protection suit which makes you completely immune to Spore Infestation. So, to progress, I had to take it off which is completely nonsensical

I'm genuinely curious how people figured it out on their own

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You know what's the real irony? First time I entered the Mushroom Forest I wore Bio-Protection suit which makes you completely immune to Spore Infestation. So, to progress, I had to take it off which is completely nonsensical

Somehow I managed to figure out DC all on my own without ever asking for hints, including Spore Infestation; I seem to recall that there is some kind of hint, but it's very subtle. I even navigated the worm maze without making any kind of a map at all, just dead reckoning.

I'm not congratulating myself, by the way. I put it down to dumb luck and determination. Codexers had been bitching and moaning about how much they hated DC before I first experienced it in 2014 or whenever, so I was prepared to suffer and persevere.

I could see the point of most of the complaints, but at the same time, I felt that people's reactions to it were over-exaggerated. So my opinion on DC falls somewhere in between the two extremes... although, to be fair, I don't know of anyone who LOVES DC.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've just realized that pretty soon I'll have been playing Underrail for nine years, averaging one playthrough and 115 hours per year. I intend to make it a round decade.

While nice it still does not fix the problem with now niche PSI abilities not being worth innervating. Also having to constantly smoke shrooms everytime you change your loadout is plain retarded. Imagine losing all your ammo in your gun when you switch ammo types.

I'd meant to address this, but had forgotten.

I agree, and the existence of niche/less desirable psi abilities was something that I had in mind but never got around to mentioning. Cherrypicking the most useful abilities from one's chosen schools was the way to go pre-nerf, and this must be especially true now that players are limited by innervation slots. Niche abilities that went mostly unused before now no doubt go entirely unused.

At the same time, all psi abilities can't be equally useful, and some are bound to be more niche than others, so it's a real quandary. D&D's Vancian-style magic systems classified spells on a power gradient, with more rarefied slots for more powerful spells, but in Underrail all slots are created equal.

I am and always have been totally opposed to the psi nerf. Even setting aside the draconian nature of the nerf in general and its unwanted side-effects in particular (e.g. niche abilities going unused now), with the innervation slots it now "feels" more like a fantasy wizard spell system; whereas before, it felt more like techno-psionics.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I don't know of anyone who LOVES DC.
I wouldn't go as far to say that I love DC, but I kinda like it in a way. DC requires ultimate preparation and actually rewards you for it. For example, Labyrinth is not that hard, there's no respawn in there and combination of Biohazard boots, Protectorate Chemical armor and Aegis helmet gives you 100% immunity to all Acid and Bio attacks, making worms harmless. Easy-peasy. Same true for Mushroom forest, except for Chompers and their melee atacks, but you had to prioritize them first. For Arke, you need stealth or means to kill robots as fast as possible. And so on. Basically, properly prepared character will breeze through DC without any significant problems.

My main gripe with DC is only that if you go there blind you will have a hard time figuring out what to do with all the cryptic bullshit. After that, it's fine.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

i went to dc twice(with large gap in between). Each time in bio suit and each time had to check on forums wtf am i doing wrong

CHEMS

Scholar
Ray's was never meant to reward stealth and theft skills.
What? He has dialogue acknowledging when you steal things and jets.

Styg clearly didn't originally intend for the place to be theft-proof—official acknowledgement that Ray's isn't theft-proof and that it's possible to rob the place, however, isn't the same as deliberately intending that players rob the shop blind every playthrough.

I think that Styg intended Ray's to be very difficult to rob of jetskis and components, while the office is much easier to rob. Since his entire player base are grognards, it turned out that we had little to no trouble robbing Ray's of anything not nailed down. Hence, he's made it even harder, and finally impossible without turning the entire zone permanently hostile (and I disagree with him on that, by the way).

Rewarding Mercantile, however, was clearly very intentional. Ray's is THE premier reward for Mercantile now, other than secret inventories. There are minor dialogue trees related to haggling for every jetski, a Mercantile-based discount gradient for each, and the antique can be sold to him for a large sum with high Mercantile.

You say the existence of dialogue is proof that Ray's was meant to be robbed. While I acknowledge this, I say that Styg never intended the place to be robbed blind or for it to be a primary means of rewarding theft skills, which is borne out by his repeated attempts to stop it being robbed blind. The massively huge truckload of locked-away treasure seeded throughout the entire game is and always will be the primary means of rewarding subterfuge skills.

Well... the only stealable jet was the junk one. Stealing it would reward you with exploring the waterways without booting up the expansion or interacting with Aegis, nothing else, since it's got shitty parts and you can't sell it. There was absolutely no way you could steal any other without getting spotted, unless there's some trick i don't know. I don't see why Styg would take the possibility of free roaming the waters before starting the expansion, it wouldn't break the game in any way.

Jezal_k23

Which NPC or where do you discover that stacking Spore Infection will take me to pulsating roots, I always play the game blind and try to give myself a chance before reaching to a walkthrough.

I'm supposed to open the gates to Tchort, I figured out returning the power grid and repairing the gate mechanism through normal conversation with NPCs and discovery.

I explored the mushroom forest and didn't find anything and I read all the logs in Caerus Residential, it mention the forest but in no way did it mention anything about Mycokardia and getting spore infection.

did I miss something?

As far as I know, it isn't communicated to the player. I think you are supposed to look it up on the internet.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Well... the only stealable jet was the junk one. Stealing it would reward you with exploring the waterways without booting up the expansion or interacting with Aegis, nothing else, since it's got shitty parts and you can't sell it. There was absolutely no way you could steal any other without getting spotted, unless there's some trick i don't know. I don't see why Styg would take the possibility of free roaming the waters before starting the expansion, it wouldn't break the game in any way.

Ah, I hadn't realized this. My single Expedition playthrough (and my most recent) just after the expansion's release was a mobile riot shield spearman, and I knew that there was zero chance of me getting away with stealing a jetski, so I didn't try. With a crafted cloaking device and black clothing, there's of course still a great deal you can steal in Underrail with 0 skill points invested, but at that point I'd probably just bought them all.

I think I actually have to concede your point, here. I assumed you'd all found a way to steal the good jets. What you're saying is that he's now made it impossible to steal the shittiest jet available, because "u no go water before official expansion cutscene"? For the love of God, Styg.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬​

Anyway, that reminds me: I've once again tried (and once again failed) to make a decent riot cop build—that is, all-in on grenades (Quick Pockets, Three-Pointer+10, Grenadier); Sprint, Nimble, lean riot gear with a shield, and Armor Sloping for mobility alongside decent protection, plus non-garbage CON; pistol with a few feats (because there's nothing else but knives, fists, and specced spears); Intimidation and Yell; and Stealth, because why not? Given the base attribute requirements and minimized armor penalty, it will at the very least mean you won't have to suffer through locust spam.

I give up, again. The shield isn't anywhere near protective enough without being loaded down with feats (and ideally paired with melee) yet eats a feat for Armor Sloping; the base attributes get yanked in too many different directions (especially if you want Guard or something) to meet all the feat requirements without leaving your Perception at literally fucking 10 AFTER the veteran feat; etc.

If riot shields protected from bullets to some extent—as they do in real life if made out of solid steel plates—then it'd be okay. But they don't, so it's crap.

I mean, it can work, but only on Normal Classic or perhaps Hard Classic. This guy would get roasted on Hard Oddity or DOM-anything.

https://underrail.info/build/?HgcHB...XOR0eFkQ-LzFLJFU6KUXCtSbDj-KgvQTipbwK4qa4Ad-_

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I thought there was a random one where there was a log about a guy waking up in some random spot and seeing a huge pulsating spore shroom of some kind.

ciox

Liturgist
Spores are flying everywhere in the mushroom forest, on average you should get stoned about 5 minutes in, or as soon as you rest somewhere. If anything needs to be changed, it should be having more sources of spores, and more reasons to loiter next to them, rather than just sledgehammering this original bit of design out of existence.

Supermedo

Augur
Fucking finally finished the damn game.

Didn't know about the Mutegen puzzle or mutagen tanks, I killed him on my 3rd try, I eat a mushroom jar that increases psi crits by 40% then I used drugs that increase crit chance by 15% and damage by 40% then I used Electroynis with Psychostatic Electricity giving me 25% crit chance then I spammed neural.

It took me 111 hours to beat the game, well I'm sure 4-6 hours I was idle in the game while I was doing something else also when I reached the junkyard for the first time I started a new game to optimize my psi build.
I loved the game so I'm going to list the things I didn't like:

• Game UX is bad, you have very small icons and a lot of items without any good way to filter them, you can't sort by weight or value so you have to hover over each item, and the icons being small make it harder to get what you want.
  • The end game and expansion spawning enemies for me is bad design, you only making the game more tedious especially we do a lot of backtracking.
Anyway I still think the expansion is the weakest part of the game.

ciox

Liturgist
Oh yeah, sorting by weight especially would be quite useful, more sorting options is something that was mentioned a bunch of times but somehow never made it into the game so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom