Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

ricolikesrice

Arcane
there s no debate that bioware s writing is pure cringe and vastly inferior to CDPRs whether you like the witcher or not.

but there equally should be no debate that the witcher series character mechanics, itemization, combat etc. etc. are also vastly inferior even compared to bioware games.

...so as long as they arent firing their writers and hiring bioware writers, i dont see the problem as much as i d like to shit on bioware.

getting rid of the game mechanics guys from the witcher series and replacing them however is good - although maybe they should aim higher than bioware....

VonMiskov

Educated
The hire is not for quality of work but for shareholder damage control. The shares are dropping in value, the company is worth half it was prior to Cybercrap 2077 release. The shareholders doesn't play or know games but they will aknowledge that CDPR hired a person from BioWare a well renown game developer with massive hits like Mass Effect and DragonAge.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Cyberpunk maker reports slump in quarterly profit amid Playstation delisting
Net profit in the first quarter fell 64.7% to 32.5 million zlotys, well below the 80 million zlotys expected by analysts, impacted by depreciation of Cyberpunk 2077 development expenditures and work on fixing the game. Revenue fell 2% to 197.6 million zlotys ($53.94 million).

The actual report and a presentation
Pa137hX.png

"crash rate" :D:D:D

RepHope

Savant
Sales fell off hard when people realized the game was utterly broken. They were arrogant and stupid to think they could put out a broken game and that people would still buy it. Cyberpunk is probably a dead franchise now, and that’s a problem for them because they were counting on it to keep them going while they made Witcher 4 like W3 did for Cyberpunk. Don’t know what they’ll do now. If I was them I’d remake W1 for consoles in the W3 engine and port W2 to PlayStation, that would at least bring in some new income.

The sales fall off probably also means they’ll put out the DLCs and then move on, can’t see them making expansions for this. The DLCs will just be minor stuff like W3’s were so they aren’t too cost prohibitive I’d wager.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Really dont see they releasing expansion size DLC, if the sales on 2021 were that bad with the game only selling 800 000 copies in 2021, that means the DLC will be more low investment cash ins to make some money and move on, no Blood and Wine style expansion for this thing, RIP.

DeepOcean

Arcane
if the sales on 2021 were that bad with the game only selling 800 000 copies in 2021
Where did you get the figures? I only had a quick skim of Wunderbar's links but couldn't spot it.
Retarded game news youtubers are pushing that number, dunno how accurate that was but it seems there was a hard crash on the game sales on 2021, way bigger than antecipated.

typical user

Arbiter
The game is dead, devs said they would need to work until end of 2022 to include all planned features but looking at the stuff already in the release version, I don't think additional time would mean good quality. Just look at the perks, loot and storyline quests. That stuff had terrible design from the get-go.

Gargaune

Magister
Retarded game news youtubers are pushing that number, dunno how accurate that was but it seems there was a hard crash on the game sales on 2021, way bigger than antecipated.
Take it with a grain of salt, then, even earnest YouTubers tend to make mistakes and then it runs from channel to channel. Like when that one guy estimated 1 million refunds from polling his channel followers. I suppose it would be possible to derive estimates from CDPR's public sales reports, but you'd have to differentiate them by product and then also account for regional pricing and volumes, so that'd be some actual journalistic work.

Codex Year of the Donut
Take it with a grain of salt, then, even earnest YouTubers tend to make mistakes and then it runs from channel to channel. Like when that one guy estimated 1 million refunds from polling his channel followers. I suppose it would be possible to derive estimates from CDPR's public sales reports, but you'd have to differentiate them by product and then also account for regional pricing and volumes, so that'd be some actual journalistic work.
their YoY revenue from product sales in the quarter after cyberpunk released is up a massive 6.3%.
It's hard to explain that as anything but sales flatlining.

1 million refunds was a youtuber estimate? I purposely didn't watch the avalanche of bad take videos, so I figured it was just a retarded rumor that snowballed. Somehow I'm not surprised people are more than willing to parrot baseless claims as long as they're made by someone with an inflated number under their name :dance:

Gargaune

Magister
their YoY revenue from product sales in the quarter after cyberpunk released is up a massive 6.3%.
It's hard to explain that as anything but sales flatlining.
That's a good point. Assuming legacy products sales for mainline Witcher titles are roughly similar YoY, were there any significant Gwent releases to control for in Q1 2020? I don't play it so I have no idea. Either way, for a December launch to make little impact through Q1 of the following year looks pretty dim.

1 million refunds was a youtuber estimate? I purposely didn't watch the avalanche of bad take videos, so I figured it was just a retarded rumor that snowballed. Somehow I'm not surprised people are more than willing to parrot baseless claims as long as they're made by someone with an inflated number under their name :dance:
You do realise that's what I was saying, right? A YouTuber polled his channel followers and then incorrectly extrapolated to the general gaming public, and next thing you know everyone's parroting the same figures 'cause they heard it on the internet.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Sales fell off hard when people realized the game was utterly broken. They were arrogant and stupid to think they could put out a broken game and that people would still buy it.
I don't know how they didn't see that coming. It seems they lost touch with reality...
Their port of Witcher III + expansions for PS4 was succesfull because the devs actually gave it a rodent's ass, and polished it to a good degree.
It won't be glorious eye-candy as in PC platform, but just like modern Diablo for consoles - if it's not a cursed port, people will purchase it.
I haven't played Witcher III in Switch (I beat it in my PS4) neither I intend to, but I heard that port is quite good, as well.

Codex Year of the Donut
YongYea unlisted his Soyberponk review.

In his original review he raved about it and said it was worth the hype, but now he admits that his video was "rushed." He also places the blame on CDPR because he trusted their reputation more than putting out a good review.

CKB3NzW_d.webp

The loss of profit can be recouped, the damage they did to their brand can never be undone.
Might as well embrace being hated and go full microtransaction always online DRM mode I suppose.

Ravielsk

Magister
The loss of profit can be recouped, the damage they did to their brand can never be undone.

It can, but that would require them to not be shitheads about it. They would need to put out at least one or two Witcher tier zingers on top of not attracting negative press.
The thing about that is it would require them to accept lower profits and refocus on quality, which as far as I am aware has never happened with these big studios. Once they hop on the slip and slide they never jump off.

Gargaune

Magister
But why didn't they just delay the console versions until they were ready?
Because they had contractual commitments for a simultaneous launch and there's absolutely no chance the platform holders would've agreed to a staggered delay on such a massive release, it would've put their systems at a marketing disadvantage. They could've pushed the whole thing again across all platforms, but CDPR themselves made that extremely unpalatable from a business perspective with all of their incremental delays through 2019. Basically, they painted themselves into a corner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom