Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone grows a pair and fights back against being cancelled

mastroego

Arcane
I wonder if he’s less interested in winning a judgment as he is forcing a public apology via a settlement agreement.

If this happened to me, and I knew these women couldn’t pay crap, I’d at least angle to have them tell everyone and their mother that they made all this shit up.

That's my perspective as well. He probably couldn't give a fuck about a meagre payment he could extract.

A humiliating public apology on the other hand? Priceless.
Unless you deal with people who care more about money than dignity.

DeepOcean

Arcane
They are requesting that, and will probably get it, but that doesn't change the fact that I doubt the defendants will be able to pay.

Regardless of what the courts award, Chris will probably not be able to collect very much.

Not unless he goes after some media entity that has some money.
He might, there are 102 defendants here.

102? Like every sjw whore who participated in story spreading?
Two named people, rest unnamed because only twitter handles are known.
The anonymous land whales on antidepressant arent the juicy targets, the ones that deserve losing their trousers are the games "journalists", I wonder how much this plague would change tune when they start accumulating damage payments. They are the ones pulling the bullshit, the land whales and soy boys on twitter are their audience. Without those tards feeding their personal mental asylums they call their twitter page with fresh blood, the reach would be severely reduced.

Mustawd

These kind of legal reckonings on the Twitterverse, and social media in general, are probably a long time coming. If not for the anonymity provided to many via non-Named accounts, it likely would have come sooner.

Back in the day, if you made up damaging stories about professionals in print or on television you'd get your ass sued real quick.

mondblut

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I noticed that, too. Maybe there are some technical legal reasons why David is keeping silent today.

What if "David" was Avellone's alt all along? Now that the move is made in the open, his persona is needed no longer.
But that would mean that Chris is the author of a multiplayer mod for Morrowind. That would be a rather sad waste of his talent.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Moral of the story: stay the fuck away from nerd conventions, specially if you're a dev.
I would go further, stay away from the gaming industry unless you are making your own game, it is just rotting and is completely corrupt, your coleagues will probably be a a bunch of retarded NPCs soyboys without personality and potential traitors at any moment.

Guy introduces male friend to cute female friend and they hit it off: "Haha, that's cool! That bastard should thank me!"

Woman entices unsuspecting man into liaison with member of her witch coven: "The blood pact has been sealed. Their souls belong to me! Forever!"

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
After reading the research from u/dreadwhitegazebo on reddit with proper links to back up her claims (I gather all her participation in threads about Chris Avellone in this googledoc with links to the original posts on reddit for your reading convenience ), I really hope Avellone sue the hell out of 'prominent game jouranlists' like Jason Schreier and Jim Sterling as well, what they did was truly disgusting!

TL;DR:

It was not a fucking accusation. It was a PR campaign performed by industry professionals.

The main accuser is a PR lead of Riot Games. She is an old and close friend of Jason Schreier and Jim Sterling.

Also, she has a friend/business partner/patron Andrien Gbinigie Escoblades.

Did you notice that Schreier and Sterling both went extremely hostile against Avellone and Ashraf Ismail? But both never mentioned rape accusations against Gbinigie.

This is what all that was about. These PR folks used Avellone and Ismail to divert attention away from Escoblades (the accuser of Ismail is Escoblades's friend, too). So Gbinigie was not even fired.

I do not agree with an idea that he should come back to work peacefully on tiny indie projects. I really wish him to burn this viper's nest to the ground. Especially cynical unscrupulous hypocrites Schreier and Sterling. It is not only about him. It is also about victims of rapist Escoblades.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Holy fuck, I bet MCA planned this from the beginning. He waited out the 1 year to accumulate the most financial damage caused by this, then sued the bitches to hell and back. Our boy played the long play.
While possible, winning in court is only half the battle and collecting on a judgment can be easier said than done. Neither defendant seems to be financially successful and/or capable of paying much.
It'll still be pretty funny for these people to have a judgment against them and destroy their credit for life.
While true, Avellone has to pay his attorney out of pocket. Delterius is right that there is a moral victory, but paying an attorney $10,000 - $20,000 to secure it kind of sucks.

He's probably lost way more than that in his career flame-out. This is why his actions are kind of dumb from a self-interest perspective--if he had done this originally it probably would have projected an image that the accusations weren't ip-so-facto correct and some of his employers would have kept him on. There's your cost of living in a leftist bubble, you really believe the nonsense to the point you self-suicide your own career. All the "enlightened" approach of "letting everyone have their say" does is say to the world, "Yes, I'm guilty".

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Good on chris for not following the "believe all women" agenda into an early grave. Unfortunate for him that it took a year to gather the will to dispute the allegations, but I guess that might happen if you lose your job, become unemployable and probably have more than a few friends drop all contact.

I wish him the best of luck in the ongoing struggle.
More like, it takes a year to let the other side hang themselves with falsehoods, then you gather them all up to take to court.

Also, I just want to take this time to say the best devs are manlets.

Sentinel

Arcane
They're specifically requesting compensation for attorney fees too.

Wherefore, Avellone prays for judgment against Defendants as follows:
1. For actual and special damages, including emotional distress damages;
2. For general damages;
3. For costs of suit;
4. For punitive damages; and
5. For equitable relief in the form of a positive injunction.
That's normal for pretty much any court case. Losing side pays the bills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom