Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amazon ships an MMORPG - New World

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Report streamers for racism milking a cow so they get permabanned.
FTFY.

Then again, isn't milk racist?
Absolutely. Drinking milk is Northern Europeans' way of claiming racial superiority with their ability to digest lactose. Same thing with growing beards and getting sunburns. It's all just white supremacy in different packages.

Also, pregnancy- and childbirth-announcements on Facebook are homophobic and transphobic.

KevinV12000

Arcane
I bought New World on pre-order and received an automatic invite to the closed beta. I played yesterday for about 5 hours solid, after a 2 hour period of figuring out how to stop the game from freezing 5 minutes into a session. (More on that below). Here's my initial impression:

The game's title is more than a little unfortunate in that there is absolutely nothing new in this New World. This MMO is a straight cross between ESO and FFIX with little to distinguish it from those who have come before.

After a short intro and a seemingly pointless boss fight you can't win by design--and who thinks having one's new character getting the shit beat out of him is a great way to start?--you wash up on the beach of our enchanted isle that is the New World, a place where one cannot die, though one can lose one's soul, and the evil Corruption keeps things away from the island and locking in those precious few survivors who make it to shore.

It's an interesting idea, and a nice take on the established deathlessness of MMO characters by working it directly into the lore. And as the same tenuous immortality also affects the flora and fauna it also goes a long way towards explaining why you can log the same tree that you logged yesterday or butcher the same hunted wild animal you gutted last night.

Characters are class-less, with a small variety of weapon skills to choose from, with that weapon's skill tree XP unlocking, quickly, on use. For those who prefer strength, there are great axes and hammers; for the more elegant dex lovers there are spears and rapiers. Ranged is a bow or a musket, while magic comes with a very unimaginative fire staff for destruction and life staff for healing. The only unique weapon/skill tree in the mix is the Ice Gauntlet, which quickly became my favorite alongside my rapier.

Levels--and they are wont to do in this modern era of instant gratification--come fast and furious, with 2 attribute points to spread among Str, Dex, Int, Focus and Const depending on taste. However, due to the same consequence-free consooooming we're all supposed to love, you can respec attributes or skills at any time. Be a he-man fighter today and a bookish fireball slinger tomorrow, it's all the same to Amazon Games, so long as you log on.

Crafting has a wee bit of good ol' Vanguard in it, with each specialty having its own level and its own tools, though the actual part of making something is as easy as levelling up. Point and click and it's delivered to your backpack before you can say "Amazon Prime."

As one explores this completely totally fucking average setting that could be any game you've ever played before, you also unlock regional XP, which can be used for small geographically-based perks, like, say, a tax cut. Von Mises meets Goldshire.

Combat is, of course, central, and I'm sorry to say that it's very poor and very unsatisfying. It's not FF bad--where you can slink off to the pub for a few pints with the mates mid-boss fight and still win handily--but it's pretty close. Bad guys also get way up into your grill, which, while realistic, makes actually seeing what's going on a bit difficult. Worse, the re-spawn times are very rapid, so while you may want to get into the spirit of the game and read the torn page excerpt from the wrecked ship's captain's log you found behind the undead sailor on the ruined deck, you're more than likely going to get a rusty sabre in the back while doing it from the same undead sailor.

Boss fights are non-instanced, so even though you've patiently fought your way to the back of the spooky cave system to find the game's first big fight--with a corrupted ship's reverend--you're likely to find four of your new friends already hacking away with speed left-clicking. Actual weapons skills seem ineffective compared to the base attack due to their animation lock, so it appeared to me that they were rarely being used.

And speaking of your new besties, this game has for some reason attracted a horrible player base. I would estimate that at least 80% of the PCs I saw flitting and flying around me at unusual speed to have joke names, with no attempt being made whatsoever to get into the spirit of the game, as thin as it is. You may be trying to read the lore and figure out the mystery of this accursed island, but rest assured that "DemonBoy666," "MsPanSexual," and "xxRxZEb" don't give a fucking shit.

The quests are straight FedEx with no imagination behind them, with a few notable exceptions. PC services abound, with a helpful bank, various crafting stations and the auction house all the usual places, with a crowd of idiots with their noses pressed against each.

In short, this game looks like it was designed by a marketing committee at a major corporation filled with people who speak of "content".

Note on freezes: I ran into an answer online for me that worked. The answer is to go to options and limit the FPS to 60, BUT the key is to first reset all settings to default, then and only then set the FPS limiter to 60.

Bottom line: I want Vanguard back.

Final Thought: I bought this game yesterday and have today off, and I have zero, less than zero, desire to so much as log in.

Codex Year of the Donut
I bought New World on pre-order and received an automatic invite to the closed beta. I played yesterday for about 5 hours solid, after a 2 hour period of figuring out how to stop the game from freezing 5 minutes into a session. (More on that below). Here's my initial impression:

The game's title is more than a little unfortunate in that there is absolutely nothing new in this New World. This MMO is a straight cross between ESO and FFIX with little to distinguish it from those who have come before.

After a short intro and a seemingly pointless boss fight you can't win by design--and who thinks having one's new character getting the shit beat out of him is a great way to start?--you wash up on the beach of our enchanted isle that is the New World, a place where one cannot die, though one can lose one's soul, and the evil Corruption keeps things away from the island and locking in those precious few survivors who make it to shore.

It's an interesting idea, and a nice take on the established deathlessness of MMO characters by working it directly into the lore. And as the same tenuous immortality also affects the flora and fauna it also goes a long way towards explaining why you can log the same tree that you logged yesterday or butcher the same hunted wild animal you gutted last night.

Characters are class-less, with a small variety of weapon skills to choose from, with that weapon's skill tree XP unlocking, quickly, on use. For those who prefer strength, there are great axes and hammers; for the more elegant dex lovers there are spears and rapiers. Ranged is a bow or a musket, while magic comes with a very unimaginative fire staff for destruction and life staff for healing. The only unique weapon/skill tree in the mix is the Ice Gauntlet, which quickly became my favorite alongside my rapier.

Levels--and they are wont to do in this modern era of instant gratification--come fast and furious, with 2 attribute points to spread among Str, Dex, Int, Focus and Const depending on taste. However, due to the same consequence-free consooooming we're all supposed to love, you can respec attributes or skills at any time. Be a he-man fighter today and a bookish fireball slinger tomorrow, it's all the same to Amazon Games, so long as you log on.

Crafting has a wee bit of good ol' Vanguard in it, with each specialty having its own level and its own tools, though the actual part of making something is as easy as levelling up. Point and click and it's delivered to your backpack before you can say "Amazon Prime."

As one explores this completely totally fucking average setting that could be any game you've ever played before, you also unlock regional XP, which can be used for small geographically-based perks, like, say, a tax cut. Von Mises meets Goldshire.

Combat is, of course, central, and I'm sorry to say that it's very poor and very unsatisfying. It's not FF bad--where you can slink off to the pub for a few pints with the mates mid-boss fight and still win handily--but it's pretty close. Bad guys also get way up into your grill, which, while realistic, makes actually seeing what's going on a bit difficult. Worse, the re-spawn times are very rapid, so while you may want to get into the spirit of the game and read the torn page excerpt from the wrecking ship's captain's log you found behind the undead sailor on the ruined deck, you're more than likely going to get a rusty sabre in the back while doing it from the same undead sailor.

Boss fights are non-instanced, so even though you've patiently fought your way to the back of the spooky cave system to find the game's first big fight--with a corrupted ship's reverend--you're likely to find four of your new friends already hacking away with speed left-clicking. Actual weapons skills seem ineffective compared to the base attack due to their animation lock, so it appeared to me that they were rarely being used.

And speaking of your new besties, this game has for some reason attracted a horrible player base. I would estimate that at least 80% of the PCs I saw flitting and flying around me at unusual speed to have joke names, with no attempt being made whatsoever to get into the spirit of the game, as thin as it is. You may be trying to read the lore and figure out the mystery of this accursed island, but rest assured that "DemonBoy666," "MsPanSexual," and "xxRxZEb" don't give a fucking shit.

The quests are straight FedEx with no imagination behind them, with a few notable exceptions. PC services abound, with a helpful bank, various crafting stations and the auction house all the usual places, with a crowd of idiots with their noses pressed against each.

In short, this game looks like it was designed by a marketing committee at a major corporation filled with people who speak of "content".

Note on freezes: I ran into an answer online for me that worked. The answer is to go to options and limit the FPS to 60, BUT the key is to first reset all settings to default, then and only then set the FPS limiter to 60.

Bottom line: I want Vanguard back.

Final Thought: I bought this game yesterday and have today off, and I have zero, less than zero, desire to so much as log in.

ADL

Prophet
Get this
Project Gorgon + New World
rating_prestigious.png

Myobi

Liturgist
I am a Citizen of the World. I went to film camp. I've read Sartre. I've read Thomas Pynchon. I've read Ayn Rand. I've been to Italy. I've been to France. I speak French. I've been to Spain. I've been to South America. I've been to Kenya. I've been to China. I backpacked across Europe. I prefer tea to coffee. I've been to Greece. I love Greek food. I'm a foodie. I'm always on the look out for a great little place to get breakfast. Sometimes I go to Barnes & Noble and lose track of the time. The black people that I've met said that I have a lot of flavor. I love my MacBook. But I also love my MacBook Pro, because it has the word "pro" on it. I drive an ancient Volvo that barely starts. The Matrix and Inception were the first movies in the last 10 years that made me really think. And yeah I paint, no big deal. I think conventional painting rules are stodgy, archaic. To bend the spoon you have to realize there is no spoon. Think outside the box. Coexist.

I came here looking for gold, and all I got was fucking aids.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
They're probably right, the modern generation isn't really into being PK'ed
Neither was Gen X. There's a reason UO's popularity took a nosedive when Everquest was released and why once they separated PvE and PvP worlds the PvP world had basically no traffic.

Lucumo

Educated
Neither was Gen X. There's a reason UO's popularity took a nosedive when Everquest was released and why once they separated PvE and PvP worlds the PvP world had basically no traffic.
You mean the nosedive that is a constant increase of subscribers?

subs-2.png

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter

subs-2.png
Thanks for the graph. UO was on a sharper incline until Everquest was released, Everquest exploded in popularity and UO stagnated and didn't start rising again until they added PvE only Trammel in which case its user total rose more rapidly and higher than it ever was before, and almost all its players stayed in Trammel and not Felucca. Thanks for proving my point overall in order to "pwn me" on a detail.

Lucumo

Educated

subs-2.png
Thanks for the graph. UO was on a sharper incline until Everquest was released, Everquest exploded in popularity and UO stagnated and didn't start rising again until they added PvE only Trammel in which case its user total rose more rapidly and higher than it ever was before, and almost all its players stayed in Trammel and not Felucca. Thanks for proving my point overall in order to "pwn me" on a detail.
I've never played Ultima Online or Everquest but come on, are you really gonna keep up your bs? Reading a graph isn't exactly a difficult thing to do. Everquest gained around 25k subs between 1998 1/2 and 1999, then ~10k between 1999 and 1999 1/2, ~20k between 1999 1/2 and 2000 and finally ~15k until (and not including) April 2000. It slowed down a bit during the release of a good competing product as well as between expansions which is a rather typical thing to happen. There was no "nosedive in popularity" that happened because of your made-up reason. As a general information: Game release: September 24, 1997; first expansion: October 31, 1998; second expansion (with the Trammel PvE server this guy is writing about): April 3, 2000. Everquest release: March 16, 1999.

Iron Balls McGinty

I refunded it.

It's not a bad game, I just don't think combat works well enough to carry it.

I can't see them getting it sorted before release, the game has no soul man.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!

subs-2.png
I've never played Ultima Online or Everquest but come on, are you really gonna keep up your bs? Reading a graph isn't exactly a difficult thing to do. Everquest gained around 25k subs between 1998 1/2 and 1999, then ~10k between 1999 and 1999 1/2, ~20k between 1999 1/2 and 2000 and finally ~15k until (and not including) April 2000. It slowed down a bit during the release of a good competing product as well as between expansions which is a rather typical thing to happen. There was no "nosedive in popularity" that happened because of your made-up reason. As a general information: Game release: September 24, 1997; first expansion: October 31, 1998; second expansion (with the Trammel PvE server this guy is writing about): April 3, 2000. Everquest release: March 16, 1999.
Everquest was twice as popular as UO. UO flatlined when Everquest was released, and didn't pick up again until they carebeared the game. This doesn't show the activity of UO, no doubt UO had tons of subscribers that played Everquest as well and more frequently, and Everquest had more subscribers that were Everquest only, and the main thrust of the argument: when UO carebeared their game almost all the players stayed in Trammel which was PvE only, and Felucca which allowed PvP was a ghost town. The point is that only a small minority of Gen X players liked PvP and PKing and started the carebear trend when the oldest zoomers were still in diapers. And the most popular MMO of all time came out in 2004 with instanced dungeons and carebear PvP. UO being hardcore was a total accident ("Lord British" hated it), and most people played it because it was really the only game of its kind at the time, when the carebear MMO was released Gen X gaymers showed up in droves.

OK, so UO's subscriber count didn't "nosedive," so what you pedantic faggot? The overall point still stands.

Lucumo

Educated

subs-2.png
Everquest was twice as popular as UO. UO flatlined when Everquest was released, and didn't pick up again until they carebeared the game. This doesn't show the activity of UO, no doubt UO had tons of subscribers that played Everquest as well and more frequently, and Everquest had more subscribers that were Everquest only, and the main thrust of the argument: when UO carebeared their game almost all the players stayed in Trammel which was PvE only, and Felucca which allowed PvP was a ghost town. The point is that only a small minority of Gen X players liked PvP and PKing and started the carebear trend when the oldest zoomers were still in diapers. And the most popular MMO of all time came out in 2004 with instanced dungeons and carebear PvP. UO being hardcore was a total accident ("Lord British" hated it), and most people played it because it was really the only game of its kind at the time, when the carebear MMO was released Gen X gaymers showed up in droves.

OK, so UO's subscriber count didn't "nosedive," so what you pedantic faggot? The overall point still stands.
Aha, seems like you still can't read graphs...same with words, considering I even spelt it out for you. The growth slowed down between the expansions and around the time of Everquest's release and picked up again before your expansion release which you are fixated on, like 4-5 months after Everquest's release. Who played what while still being subscribed to whatever is nothing but conjecture on your part. How many players played on what server after the addition of the PvE one I don't know since I haven't seen any numbers nor have I played the game but whatever you write isn't exactly trustworthy, considering what you wrote apart from it is verifiable bs. "The most popular MMO of all time" was certainly not released in 2004 and it wasn't WoW. Some social MMOs take the cake or even something like Crossfire, depending on how you define "MMO". Heck, even in the MMORPG genre, WoW got dwarfed by Maplestory for example which was released in 2003 (just like Lineage completely dwarfed both Ultima Online and Everquest). Depends on what part of "hardcore" you are referring to. The team certainly wanted the game to be hardcore but they just didn't expect all the ways to do that. So basically: Brutally murdering players without consent = ok, brutally murdering players in such large numbers and in unintended ways while avoiding consequences = not ok.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
"The most popular MMO of all time" was certainly not released in 2004 and it wasn't WoW. Some social MMOs take the cake or even something like Crossfire, depending on how you define "MMO".
Talmudic retardation, are you Jewish by any chance?

jDBr2RIh.jpg

Lucumo

Educated
"The most popular MMO of all time" was certainly not released in 2004 and it wasn't WoW. Some social MMOs take the cake or even something like Crossfire, depending on how you define "MMO".

jDBr2RIh.jpg
Nope, just non-religious. Well, I guess since you are a "special snowflake", you don't want to be called out on the bs you are spewing. Have it your way then.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!

jDBr2RIh.jpg
Nope, just non-religious. Well, I guess since you are a "special snowflake", you don't want to be called out on the bs you are spewing. Have it your way then.
Yeah, "calling out my bullshit" by being uber pedantic like saying WoW isn't the most popular MMO ever because of some shit free game on facebook or a CSGO ripoff that gives you social points could "technically" be classified as an "MMO." You're a gay sperg and also jewish.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
ACTION. COMBAT. IS. BAD. FOR. MMOS. It reduces the social/community building aspect of the game. Tab targeting combat is the best kind of combat for MMOs.

Why? Because it's easier to text chat with tab targeting, easier to chat socially, easier to chat for co-ordination.

What's that I hear you say? Use voice? Maybe once I'm in a guild and with friends, until then, fuck off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom