Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Humanophage

Arcane
Is there some mod to remove the mega bright light everywhere? Installed this, now it's even worse!

With every new 3D game they come up with more and more annoying bloom-style rubbish, and you can't even turn it off any longer, it seems.

Bh2xS7U.jpg

Last edited:

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I finished the game at around lvl 40 as a ranged/psi Cleric (a faction with touches of the BoS, Mormons, and oddly, Hubbologists) but got initially boxed into the 'high emotion' ending. Farming/crafting a bucket of elex drinks before the final boss opened what is likely the canon 'third way', which is an interesting dev choice in the middle of the 'cold' scale.
Overall, not bad. Standard PB fare with the right amount of jank. Will play Elex 2.
Ranged is weak at first, then OP late game. Black Hole is similarly a 'win button'.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, Clerics are really powerful if you abuse black hole and One with the Weapon. They also have the best looking armor set in the game (Regent Set) and have an interesting bit of fluff too.
I also got the third way ending, which I thought was pretty satisfying.
I don't think having high emotion stops you from getting it though, pretty sure you just need to pick the neutral dialogue option and have the mana that Thorald gave you. At least that's what I did.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
I don't think having high emotion stops you from getting it though, pretty sure you just need to pick the neutral dialogue option and have the mana that Thorald gave you.

I found this solution over on the steam forums.
I was initially all the way down to 'spontaneous' (but not low enough for the <10 emotion achievement to pop) and had the mana but still no deal, regardless of dialogue with the Hybrid. Once I buffed it up a grade, perhaps to 'intuitive', the 'third way' achievement popped up as soon as I started conversation with him, and got the appropriate ending after combat. I don't know what the threshold for the 'cold' ending is.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I don't like open worlds. Gothic 2 with NotR was already a bit to large for my tastes, I liked the original release without it better. Does Elex have a small number of well designed hubs as central points that are revisited multiple times or is it more of a "passing-through" open world, where each location has a short list of quests that you do and then forget about it ?

mkultra

Augur
I don't like open worlds. Gothic 2 with NotR was already a bit to large for my tastes, I liked the original release without it better. Does Elex have a small number of well designed hubs as central points that are revisited multiple times or is it more of a "passing-through" open world, where each location has a short list of quests that you do and then forget about it ?

Like all open world games including Gothic's, it has cities and hang-outs where you take quests and then you return to them to finish them and take new ones. You join a faction and then that group's hang-out becomes a "main" hub you can say.

It's not like a hack and slash game like Diablo where you just pass through the world. i would not exactly call a game like that "open world", open world games are about back tracking, cities and immersion (NPC schedules, day/night cycles etc).

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Also you've got a jetpack, so possibilites of exploration are greater, you can get to places easier, so the world feels a bit smaller than it would if you were solely on foot.

The world didn't seem too big to me. It's not like Gothic 1 where you'll know every nook any cranny because you're going through the same places every time to get from the camp to some other location, but the world doesn't feel like a place too huge to explore. Also, areas worth exploring are recognizable because there are structures that can often be seen from afar if you get yourself a vantage point, so you know that there's something interesting to explore there. You don't have to go everywhere. But there are also hidden places, high up places, etc. Exploration feels really natural, rather than a grid-pattern search to find everything like in other open worlds.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Natural exploration sounds good but that its not the deciding feature for me. It should be quest driven as in the first games. Most of the time you were sent somewhere with a general direction and a good reason and then stumbled upon points of interest looking around. That works for me but just running around without any reason to do so is not what I care for.
Does it shower you with items like most open world games or did they manage to keep you starved for money/items ? G1/2 did that rather well if you avoided abuses. I prefer the "milestone" like system where each new armor is a big improvement.

Humanophage

Arcane
Does it shower you with items like most open world games or did they manage to keep you starved for money/items ? G1/2 did that rather well if you avoided abuses. I prefer the "milestone" like system where each new armor is a big improvement.
No, you are pretty starved for items. Each new armour is a big improvement and quite expensive, and you need to do some questing for it. In the first part of the game, you might want to avoid fighting altogether and just run away, which admittedly is rather easy with the jetpack. You may also wish to lure monsters so that they fight against one another. It has very nice progression up until around 60-70% of the game, at which point you grow too strong.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Natural exploration sounds good but that its not the deciding feature for me. It should be quest driven as in the first games. Most of the time you were sent somewhere with a general direction and a good reason and then stumbled upon points of interest looking around. That works for me but just running around without any reason to do so is not what I care for.
The game is quest-driven like other PB games, and you find points of interests as you make your way. I also dislike running around with no reason, which is why I said it's not a grid-pattern search type of open world. This is a game that incites you to make little detours on your way because you saw something interesting, it makes you want to explore.

The item system doesn't shower you with shit, it's very much a "milestone" system as you like. You also need to boost your stats like in Gothic to be able to use weapons, so sometimes you have weapons you can't use yet and have to work towards. Overall the system is a mix of weapons you forge and upgrade yourself (that you can also find, but not always at the highest forgeable level), and a bunch of unique weapons. For example if you want a sword that does only fire, poison or lightning damage as a base, I think there's only one of each to find. You can also add an effect to your forgeable weapons, depending on the camp forging skills you have (extra bleeding damage is exclusive to Outlaws, for example, while fire is exclusive to Berserkers). Armors are rare and most are tied to camp allegiance and rank.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
The game is quest-driven like other PB games, and you find points of interests as you make your way. I also dislike running around with no reason, which is why I said it's not a grid-pattern search type of open world. This is a game that incites you to make little detours on your way because you saw something interesting, it makes you want to explore.

The item system doesn't shower you with shit, it's very much a "milestone" system as you like. You also need to boost your stats like in Gothic to be able to use weapons, so sometimes you have weapons you can't use yet and have to work towards. Overall the system is a mix of weapons you forge and upgrade yourself (that you can also find, but not always at the highest forgeable level), and a bunch of unique weapons. For example if you want a sword that does only fire, poison or lightning damage as a base, I think there's only one of each to find. You can also add an effect to your forgeable weapons, depending on the camp forging skills you have (extra bleeding damage is exclusive to Outlaws, for example, while fire is exclusive to Berserkers). Armors are rare and most are tied to camp allegiance and rank.

That sounds good, I guess I should give PB another chance. I didn't expect that they would output something decent again after Gothic 3 and the Risen series.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
That sounds good, I guess I should give PB another chance. I didn't expect that they would output something decent again after Gothic 3 and the Risen series.
It's not at the same heights as Gothic 1 and 2, it's a bit lacking in the simulation aspect compared to those sadly. But almost 20 years later, it's a breath of fresh air, and the setting is not a simple rehash of done-to-death settings. They did some new things too, the environmental storytelling was nice. For that type of game, there hasn't really been anything better since the Gothics.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
So you don't think first Risen is at least "decent"? It's a better game than Elex, at least when it comes to building on strengths of G1-2.

Jinn

Arcane
I replayed Risen 1 a bit after finishing ELEX for the first time, and I've thought long and hard about it. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I not only prefer ELEX to Risen 1, but believe it is the better game of the two as well.

And I'm someone who really enjoyed Risen 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom