Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Escape From Tarkov

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
How about a Killcam? No? Oh well...

Squid

Arbiter
A kill cam could only potentially work if you had to wait for everyone who is in your squad to escape or also die. Don't know why it's too needed though.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
They're going to be implementing a killcam in Arena (standalone DLC, or 'free' if you have an EOD account). Some form of it is believed to come to the game after that.

Wipe events accelerating already... is it really coming Sunday?! :O

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
itzhappening

traders all unlocked fully + everything cheap af

wipe early tomorrow

edit: patch notes now available (beyond the obvious, there's been a nerf to recoil and related skills, you can no longer quick throw grenades, the flea market no longer lets you trade high level armour and ammo, all keys have durability (not keycards), four new kinds of grenade, injector case, keycard case)

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
edit: patch notes now available (beyond the obvious, there's been a nerf to recoil and related skills, you can no longer quick throw grenades, the flea market no longer lets you trade high level armour and ammo, all keys have durability (not keycards), four new kinds of grenade, injector case, keycard case)
Good. Maybe high level easy stomping will happen less. People that nonstop play on Tarkov will already win most firefights against people who don't. They don't need endless supplies of the best armor and ammos to further this.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Good. Maybe high level easy stomping will happen less. People that nonstop play on Tarkov will already win most firefights against people who don't. They don't need endless supplies of the best armor and ammos to further this.

Between the market changes fixing the no-lifer/streamer advantage, and inertia fucking the A-D-A-D-A-D nonsense and wiggle-peaking and bunny hopping, this is such a dope fucking patch, yeah.

Squid

Arbiter
I might actually start playing it again this patch.

I would brave high pings to die w/ you, Squaddie!

Though up to play on US/Canada east or EU west with anyone nice here. :)
I'm on US East. Friend in the Netherlands did keep disconnecting when we tried to play together back around 2019? I don't remember what year exactly.

I guess I'll download the patches today when I get home but I have no idea when I'll start playing. Been seeing/hearing people are disconnecting a lot right now.

Squid

Arbiter
Not yet. Been playing Hunt. I guess I'll try sometime over the second half of December as I have a lot of time off work.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Not yet. Been playing Hunt. I guess I'll try sometime over the second half of December as I have a lot of time off work.

Would advise spending at least a little time in early wipe, at least to use up the PS 5.45 or whatever you get given have while it's actually good enough.

Is the game similiar to EfT?
Yeah, EFT and Hunt are sorta an emergent genre between the two of them; The Cycle: Frontier was in a closed beta recently and has elements from both.

I'd argue Hunt is a lot more streamlined, much less determined by equipment; but also no where near as unpredictable as Tarkov.

Squid

Arbiter

Is the game similiar to EfT?
Hunt could arguably be placed in the same subgenre as EfT. The major difference is that in Tarkov, many matches can be successful without encountering any combat with anyone or just avoiding real player combatants. Hunt has more PvE elements but a greater emphasis on succeeding in PvP if you ask me.
You kill zombie like people, hellhounds, bee bitches, meatheads (big dudes that'll fuck ya up but they're blind unless their leeches poison you), immolators (highly aggressive and keen skeleton like dudes on fire that you do not want to shoot or stab, only blunt damage them) and more. All while trying to avoid or kill other players and find clues as to where the "boss" is. Then you kill the boss (or someone else does) and try to extract with the bounty tokens it drops. Typically you play in teams of 3 and there's two bounty tokens, they give you 5 seconds of being able to detect nearby hunters through walls when you press E (lowers your weapons and everything tho). And you'll be marked on the map every second or so. So you have a target on your head. It's entirely possible to get a bounty token and escape without firing your gun at anyone but in all likelihood someone will be coming to compete with you over that token. You can run sometimes but sometimes it's just a worse idea.

Pretty much you want to PvP and either wipe out other player squads to secure your boss killing or you want to defend your boss killing or steal theirs. You can go around killing the mobs and extract and get money and XP but if you get bounty tokens, it's worth so much more. You don't have to buy ammo but you do have to buy your tools (they recharge when you go back out to a Hunt), consumables (they get used up if used), and weapons of course.

Cycle and Tarkov have more in common than Hunt and Tarkov or Hunt and Cycle. I'd put Hunt in the same subgenre as the other two but I would say it's a bit different still. Tarkov and Cycle both have you buy ammo, success can be found in avoiding all combat, there's no singular shared objective on the map, and more. Tarkov is a game for sure but it also strives for a level of simulation. Hunt is more a gamey game. It has perks you can get when you successfully survive Hunts, it doesn't aim to be very realistic beyond what Call of Duty might do.

I really like both. Tarkov is really great after wipe and at a super high in enjoyment and gets lower as time goes on and you fall behind the no lifers. Hunt though, strikes a good balance of being playable no matter your level really. But this comes at a cost of not always being as exciting as Tarkov.

ADL

Prophet
Holy fuck the inertia movement in 12.12 is awful and NPCs not having inertia is the icing on the shit cake. They somehow made the worst feeling shooter feel even clunkier and worse overall. I'm willing to tolerate jank but is asking for competent movement and interactions too much to ask? It doesn't help that this game's audience will defend fucking anything and are now acting as if carrying gear makes you glide around like you're wearing skates IRL.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Inertia is jarring at first, but it's easily one of the best changes imo. Twitch peaking ruined the game for anyone that wanted tactics to be important.

Squid

Arbiter
Realistic or not, some things are necessary to make a game play better than make "feel real." If you want tactical holds to be worth it, inertia is likely the answer to this. Being able to do bunny hop double take peeks out of a door while spamming aim down sights and spraying your gun is not going to go well for the person who holds a line of sight in that fight.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
I'm always tempted to return to EFT. But it's the kind of game that compels me to go all-in, to the exclusion of anything else. Otherwise I don't feel like I'm progressing.

Each time I return, I end up playing intensely for 3-4 weeks. Then I've had enough and quit for months.

Is there even such a thing as a casual EFT player?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I'm always tempted to return to EFT. But it's the kind of game that compels me to go all-in, to the exclusion of anything else. Otherwise I don't feel like I'm progressing.

Each time I return, I end up playing intensely for 3-4 weeks. Then I've had enough and quit for months.

People who just scav.

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter

There is but it kinda sucks to play casually as you know you'll be far behind. This patch is helping remedy some of that but the idea of going all in is still kind of needed. Hunt really strikes the balance for me. I can progress and keep my progress. Even if I prestige to redo levels 1-100 again, my weapons will be effective still, other players do it, and it doesn't reset my progress if I just stay at 100 anyway so all the things I have, I'll always have.
Those who play singleplayer mods?
And speaking of which, I'm still waiting for SP AKI to catch up with the main game.
I keep hearing rumors of the singleplayer mod getting people banned. Do you know anything about that? I've wanted to try it out but don't really want to rebuy EFT one day.

spectre

Arcane
The problem with this game is progress was deliberately made so fucking slow. You basically need a team of mates who'll collaborate to get each other through some of the more tedious tasks. Personally, I don't see myself going through some of the more inane Jaeger bullshit going solo... only to do that again every wipe.

Especially the exp grind has gotten to me. It's a slog, even in singleplayer doing multiple good runs consecutively, to get to level 15 and I always burn out way before reaching 30.

I keep hearing rumors of the singleplayer mod getting people banned. Do you know anything about that? I've wanted to try it out but don't really want to rebuy EFT one day.
There's plenty of rumors like this, I've heard my share regarding cheats. A lot of guys hack then blame literally everything else for the ban.

Don't trust random strangers on the internet, obviously, but here's how it went for me:
So far, I've been playing SP-AKI exclusively in the last year and last time I checked, I can still access the game.
Here's how it goes:
Once you've downloaded the lastest release with the original patcher and run the game once, you basically copy the whole Eft folder elsewhere (separate partition if you're particularly paranoid. I wasn't) and the mod doesn't interact
with the original game files in any way. I think SP-AKI only checks if you've got the legit registry keys, because they're anal about not enabling piracy. They seem intent to stay on the dev's good side to keep the project up.
In turn, I don't think the devs have any real way to detect any modified files unless they agressively spyware your shit.
Don't do anything stupid, like leave the mod running after you start the patcher, and it should be fine.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
It's impressive how voice chat prevents 99% of deaths from other players in this game now. Just yell at them to stop shooting and they'll actually do it. At least, on NA servers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom