Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Escape From Tarkov

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It looks pretty cool. But it just makes me wanna reinstall Arma 3.

Squid

Arbiter
Damn I want to play Tarkov but I also don't want to make it the only game I'm playing.

Jinn

Arcane
Damn I want to play Tarkov but I also don't want to make it the only game I'm playing.

And this is the problem with competitive FPS. Will ultimately consume all my single-player time.

Squid

Arbiter

And this is the problem with competitive FPS. Will ultimately consume all my single-player time.

Especially so since Tarkov respects your time the least of any game to have ever existed
Yes, it's mostly this. The main factors to me are these:
  • There is a lot to learn about this game
  • There are wipes
  • Insurance comes back every 48-72 hours and stays for about 24 hours (depends on which you buy but the point stands that you can't really leave for a week without losing stuff you insured)
I learned enough of the game to perform well. But I was playing it multiple times a week with at a minimum of 2 hour sessions. It took up all the free time I'd set aside for gaming. I like the game a lot but that's just too much to ask of me and then delete it all anyway.

Once that's not an issue, I'll come back and enjoy this game again. Getting a nearly maxed out bitcoin farm felt great and then I just remembered "Hey this will all be for nothing even in a virtual sense in less than a year outside of learning how to achieve this faster next time" and I just logged out and never played again. I want to do more than play Tarkov when I'm on my computer.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Tarkov isn't actually meant to be competitive though. That mindset is a problem that came with it kicking off in popularity via twitch drops; people got attached to the game before it's balanced and finished.

Which is how you end up with a huge portion of the "fans" trying to stop BSG from following through with their plans from the start, lol. Honestly I can't wait for 12.12 to drop and and see all the seething over inertia. (Nevermind the deluge that'll come with PMC Karma -- i.e. penalising simply shooting on sight -- and the new armour hitboxes, which will let someone with a Makarov take down someone in a Slick pretty easily.)

Especially so since Tarkov respects your time the least of any game to have ever existed
It's a weird game that has no interest in casual players but simultaneously doesn't aim to fulfil competitive gaymers.

That said, I think 90% of the issues people have with EFT boil down to them being too used to "early access/beta" being a meaningless term as used by AAA studios; with Tarkov they've iterated time and again that none of us have really played EFT yet.

Jinn

Arcane
Tarkov isn't actually meant to be competitive though.

Basically what I meant by competitive was there being a high probability of meeting other players - who are, in turn, highly competitive - in a run. But beyond that, just the massive time investment needed to get properly into Tarkov, and to "get gud." I'm probably going to try the game regardless once it gets fully released a billion years from now. But overall, I'd rather choose not being a filthy casual at all, rather than split my gaming time between the huge list of games I'd like to complete before I meet my end, and sinking the other half of that time half-assedly into a huge time sink that I'll never feel expert at.

Basically why I had to drop my most recent multiplayer love, Hunt: Showdown, after investing several hundred hours into it.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Jinn, my best advice is to do quests (ones that don't need kills at day, until you have access to night vision you can tolerate); the game really opens up with access to LL 2/3 traders.

I think what puts a lot of people off is the beginner stuff on customs; where the best thing you can do as a new / ill equipped player is hide for the first ten minutes of a raid. Also, learn your hidden stash locations and use your scav to make some ₽₽₽; woods is such a hidden gem for cash once you get used to it.

Oh, and do your best to really learn a loadout / buy the same gear (this is where trader levels come in), and besides getting you over gear fear will make you a lot more consistent. Once you have something you like, offline raids with lots of scavs will do wonders to make you a better shot.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tarkov is worse than the sum of its parts.

it's a shame because in some aspects is the best shooter ever.

Overall I agree with Jinn that it's hard to dedicate to it the insane amount of time needed to enjoy it.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Overall I agree with Jinn that it's hard to dedicate to it the insane amount of time needed to enjoy it.

It feels shitty to say, but I feel like a lot of you will never really love EFT; but around that, there are upsides and downsides.

The main upside is that BSG's actual goal isn't EFT, but their next project yet to get more than a production title, Russia 2028, which is going to be a singleplayer/offline survival shooter RPG in the same vein as STALKER. EFT was mostly to make money for it, even if obviously aren't interested in a cheap cashgrab.

The downside is obvious, you need to wait -- quite a long time, given we're only getting a release date for EFT announced next year. Certainly we're not getting that single player title any time soon, but EFT post-release will be a lot less demanding, and a lot of the sweaty competitive FPS players will also disappear to play Arena (competitive, match-based shooter mode) once it's released, since they aren't interested in any of the survival shit or questing.

Personally I think I'd prefer to play on the seasonal, Diablo-Like "wipes" mode; but that's because I worry about how they'll handle no-lifers on the non-wiping version, how they'll fix the economy so being rich doesn't just let you run the best equipment back-to-back over-and-over forever.. All that said, it should be much less relevant after the update to armour hitboxes.

Squid

Arbiter
(Nevermind the deluge that'll come with PMC Karma -- i.e. penalising simply shooting on sight -- and the new armour hitboxes, which will let someone with a Makarov take down someone in a Slick pretty easily.
Wait what? I haven't kept up with this. You sure this stuff is coming? How does PMC Karma work exactly? Factions maybe? So if you end up shooting someone of your faction, it negatively impacts you? What's it do when it's low? Add taxes to your purchases from vendors and flea?
Personally I think I'd prefer to play on the seasonal, Diablo-Like "wipes" mode; but that's because I worry about how they'll handle no-lifers on the non-wiping version, how they'll fix the economy so being rich doesn't just let you run the best equipment back-to-back over-and-over forever.. All that said, it should be much less relevant after the update to armour hitboxes.
I get this sentiment but in its current state, it requires a lot of time and people who have a lot of time are already stomping level 1s within a week or two. Sure, people can argue their skill matters most and it does but it really sucks when you shoot someone four fucking times with 5.56 in the chest and they one tap you. It's absolutely infuriating to feel behind in this game. Hopefully the updates you speak of come out.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Wait what? I haven't kept up with this. You sure this stuff is coming? How does PMC Karma work exactly? Factions maybe? So if you end up shooting someone of your faction, it negatively impacts you? What's it do when it's low? Add taxes to your purchases from vendors and flea?

Plenty of stuff still on the way, yep. Not to mention Streets of Tarkov is going to be so big as a map that it's big enough to be the only map in the entire game (their words).

PMC Karma hasn't been explained yet, but yes something like that, akin to the current Scav karma.

Sure, people can argue their skill matters most and it does but it really sucks when you shoot someone four fucking times with 5.56 in the chest and they one tap you. It's absolutely infuriating to feel behind in this game. Hopefully the updates you speak of come out.

No, I agree. The equipment differential makes it really rough right now, and the best time to play is early wipe. I haven't played for a while because I keep thinking as soon as I do they'll wipe and my further progress will be lost lol.

I do strongly believe that the addition of new hitboxes for armour, and armour plates alongside them, will massively change the game in the direction of general fairness, akin to how Hunt: Showdown pretty much entirely comes down to skill atm. Plus people will seethe at being killed by noobs with crappy pistols.

General tip btw, the best way to get comfier with pvp is just running factory over and over and over. It is expensive, though it'll help you get past your fear of dying. My first scav boss kill also came that way, so many positives to experience as much as there are frustrations. ^^

Squid

Arbiter
I fucking hate factory though lmao. I prefer to pick my fights instead of being thrown into them but that advice makes sense. I've played maybe 500 or so hours of Tarkov? So I'm not entirely uncomfortable with it but I'm definitely a fucking rat. I take any advantage to not be seen or heard I can and try to only get into fights that heavily favor me.

IRL Tarkov friends mostly switched over to Hunt and I with them. Hunt's just easier to pick up and play it and come back two weeks later if you want to play again. I've got maybe 100 hours in it but they got heavily into it. I really enjoy this new subgenre of FPS games and Tarkov's probably my favorite between the two but I'd rather just play Hunt, for now.

Some part of me hopes that while STALKER 2 singleplayer is faithful and good to the originals that the multiplayer has a heavy emphasis on a mode like Tarkov/Hunt does. I think it'd fit extremely well. Pick a faction, go do missions and artifact hunting for that faction, PvP between faction members be discourage and punished. PvE content can be plentiful with all the types of mutants and how deadly they can be and even having ranged attacks (zombified stalkers have guns, pseudogiants and poltergeists can throw items, and controllers and burers have psionic abilities). I think it'd be great if executed well.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The main upside is that BSG's actual goal isn't EFT, but their next project yet to get more than a production title, Russia 2028, which is going to be a singleplayer/offline survival shooter RPG in the same vein as STALKER. EFT was mostly to make money for it, even if obviously aren't interested in a cheap cashgrab.

That is in top 5 of dream games for me. I hope they pull it off.

I think they can. They have the foundations and the systems.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I'm definitely a fucking rat. I take any advantage to not be seen or heard I can and try to only get into fights that heavily favor me.
The correct way to play Tarkov isn't rat or "chad", it's whatever is best in the moment. Huge part of getting good is knowing when to push and when to creep patiently.

Hell, thanks to broken stair audio I've wrecked someone waiting for me down the stairs in resort who should've 100% got me lmao.

The lesson? Never rat in the stairwells.

IRL Tarkov friends mostly switched over to Hunt and I with them. Hunt's just easier to pick up and play it and come back two weeks later if you want to play again. I've got maybe 100 hours in it but they got heavily into it. I really enjoy this new subgenre of FPS games and Tarkov's probably my favorite between the two but I'd rather just play Hunt, for now.

Hunt's olde timey repeaters and shiz are super cool, though I hate the fake names. "Caldwells" is nothing on Colt. :(

That said the gunplay in Tarky is second to none. Between the two and RDR2 I took an interest in the history of firearms lmao, my least feminine interest yet, but I don't seem to be alone looking at all the gals streaming EFT. (What's with that? It's way more than any other shooter I've seen despite easily being one of the least casual.)

Squid

Arbiter
The correct way to play Tarkov isn't rat or "chad", it's whatever is best in the moment. Huge part of getting good is knowing when to push and when to creep patiently.
Not saying the way I play is correct. I know that having more of a balance is going to yield more risk vs reward moments that if you decide correctly upon, will yield (on average) better results. I tend to minimize risks at all costs in the game though. I lean heavy into the survival aspect of it. When playing with friends we'd do some rat/chad baiting. One person engages heavily and retreats or we play as if we're shooting each other out of sight of others. Bait someone into a small spot as they creep onto the scene looking to clean up and we're lying in wait.
Hell, thanks to broken stair audio I've wrecked someone waiting for me down the stairs in resort who should've 100% got me lmao.

The lesson? Never rat in the stairwells.
Even as a player who mostly rats, there are areas and times where it is not possible to continue ratting and you have to decide fight or flight. Simple as that. I don't rat too much around hotspots because all eyes are peeled and seeking you anyway. Unless you're posted up somewhere or you think you're gonna get the jump on someone it's not worth ratting at Resort in my experience. People are scanning that place nonstop and it's the biggest center of loot on the map, you're not crouch walking down the whole building without someone just plainly seeing you.

Hunt's olde timey repeaters and shiz are super cool, though I hate the fake names. "Caldwells" is nothing on Colt. :(
I don't mind the fake names as much as I hate trying to tell what rifle is what when an enemy dies and drops a legendary skinned one and it just tells me the skin's name. I haven't played enough to recognize the guns in smaller images or by their skin's names. I wish that the name was just afterwards or in parenthesis. I do think the firefights are very different in Hunt compared to Tarkov. A great player in Hunt can take you down in one shot but sometimes if they miss that one shot, they could lose that fight. It's a different beast. I currently have a 1.58 KDA in it. When I started it was like 6 for about 10 games because I was just rolling people until I met the other good players. I don't sit super high on the MMR though. I wish it would just go lower so I don't feel stupid for trying something out that I haven't yet. Those early games I played really shot my MMR up and kinda maintained it. Recently, I've been doing really poorly. Maybe my squad gets 2-4 kills but we never make it out until our last few raids of the night which are just fantastic runs.
That said the gunplay in Tarky is second to none. Between the two and RDR2 I took an interest in the history of firearms lmao, my least feminine interest yet, but I don't seem to be alone looking at all the gals streaming EFT. (What's with that? It's way more than any other shooter I've seen despite easily being one of the least casual.)
SMH my head, sexism.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Not saying the way I play is correct. I know that having more of a balance is going to yield more risk vs reward moments that if you decide correctly upon, will yield (on average) better results.
You misunderstand me :P I'm saying there's nothing wrong with ratting. The only ppl who complain about it are mediocre streamers and try hards who think they shouldn't get punished for sprinting around the map like an idiota. (The kind who are gonna be pissed when inertia drops.) I mean half the time it isn't even ratting; simply put, it's the obvious and smart play to stand still on hearing another player, at least for a moment, 90% of the time.

Resort in my experience. People are scanning that place nonstop and it's the biggest center of loot on the map, you're not crouch walking down the whole building without someone just plainly seeing you.
Resort I go to for quests, but it's often brutal. Amount of crazy grenade wars I've had to get into just to survive in that place, haha... (On that, being able to buy 'nades direct from Prapor is such a big win, it should be an early aim alongside therapist and unlocking PK'er via Skier.)

Those early games I played really shot my MMR up and kinda maintained it. Recently, I've been doing really poorly. Maybe my squad gets 2-4 kills but we never make it out until our last few raids of the night which are just fantastic runs.
Warming up is a real thing in these games; it's why I wish Hunt had something resembling offline mode in EFT. Saves me a lot of money if I spend ten minutes running around factory with a ton of bots first.

SMH my head, sexism.

lmao :P I just find it funny that the grunge-y gun game where you can't even be a female operator has one of the relatively biggest female playerbases! I mean, I like anything that runs that counter to people's (nerds') expectations. ^^

Squid

Arbiter
You misunderstand me :P I'm saying there's nothing wrong with ratting. The only ppl who complain about it are mediocre streamers and try hards who think they shouldn't get punished for sprinting around the map like an idiota. (The kind who are gonna be pissed when inertia drops.) I mean half the time it isn't even ratting; simply put, it's the obvious and smart play to stand still on hearing another player, at least for a moment, 90% of the time.
Yeah absolutely agree with this. Information is key in any FPS game, especially slower ones you can't easily retreat in. I'm all about knowing as much as I can. Even small information like "Where did they loot last" could impact their decision making on a tiny level and give you some sort of advantage in niche situations. This goes for a lot of games. Not just Tarkov. Just in general, more information the better you are to know what to expect in a fight.

lmao :P I just find it funny that the grunge-y gun game where you can't even be a female operator has one of the relatively biggest female playerbases! I mean, I like anything that runs that counter to people's (nerds') expectations. ^^
Yeah it is strange. I'm going to guess there's an element to the game that's enticing. Like the looting part? I dunno. And that it's an interesting game that winning PvP fights isn't always required to feel successful in a raid? Sure, eventually PvP is needed for quests but mostly, you can learn to just loot good areas, fight scavs, avoid players when possible, and still feel like you're progressing in this game.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
A good silencer and a decent scope and you can get away with avoiding a lot of players.

Hell I did that peacekeeper scav kills via 12ga headshots on shoreline quest with an mp-155 with a silencer and scope, lol. AP-20 is so fun to use!

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
12.12 and probable wipe date essentially announced. (Though they could just be fucking with us.)

Besides a new map (Lighthouse), VOIP, inertia, and overheating (and tons of smaller things besides), we're getting double-barreled shotguns, the MTs-255 (a very illegal -- in the US -- 'revolver shotgun', and supposedly also the SCAR-H and -L.

Also, reworked ballistics (less stupid bullet drop, is the tl;dr).

If anyone is interested in following development, NoiceGuy is the one to follow.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Pre-wipe events have started! IF you have roubles to burn, now's the time.

Raiders on woods, Sanitar in Dorms, Kill on Factory (higher chance of Cultists on Night Factory), Tagilla on Interchange, Gluhar on Labs, Reshala on Reserve. Maybe even more!

As the wipe gets closer, they'll likely nuke the prices of everything and unlock all the trader levels for everyone; so sell your BTC now and get ready for a good chance to git gud with decent gear without putting 2 million roubles down the drain every time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom