Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

almondblight

Arcane
Good written for a video game is utilitarian, it works towards the benefit of a game. Trying to get failed novelists to try to imitate their idea of a good book is a recipe for failure. Maybe it satisfies people who are desperately trying to get validation by having video games labelled "art," but those people's goals run counter to the goal of having good games.

Pillars would probably have been a much more enjoyable game if they ditched the professional writers and got some veteran DM's to design some interesting scenarios and provide some utilitarian writing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Can't really blame Sawyer for short-circuiting after getting the mandate to fully voice Deadfire.

Didn't that mandate happen late in the process? So the terrible words were already written. Sawyer wore too many hats and with Fenstermaker checking out they had no narrative lead to enforce "these characters should not talk like people from the 21st century."

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Pillars would probably have been a much more enjoyable game if they ditched the professional writers and got some veteran DM's to design some interesting scenarios and provide some utilitarian writing.
But then the problem would arise that they would have to "onboard" him and adapt him to their RPG manufacturing process. It's sad to even think this. By the time of The Outer Worlds Obsidian had turned into BioWare of Dragon Age and Mass Effect days (but with less money), in the way their RPGs were like clones of each other.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Didn't that mandate happen late in the process? So the terrible words were already written. Sawyer wore too many hats and with Fenstermaker checking out they had no narrative lead to enforce "these characters should not talk like people from the 21st century."
Oh, I thought we were talking about voice acting. Because Maneha's voice acting was pretty terrible. Her "actress" wasn't even acting, she was just talking into the microphone.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sawyer wore too many hats and with Fenstermaker checking out they had no narrative lead to enforce "these characters should not talk like people from the 21st century."
Still sounds kind of ridiculous as an explanation, but it's a done deal.

Delterius

Arcane
BTW, the fact all the Vailia people are Africans when the culture is obviously inspired by Renaissance Italy is cultural appropriation. This is an outrage.
actually they are not. vailia is humans and dwarves, mostly ocean folk but since it's relatively close to aedyr there's meadow folk in there as well. just as there are ocean folk in aedyr.

like i said there's no Dwarf Kingdom or Human Kingdom. pillars' world is made up of nations, empires and civilizations.

purupuru

Learned
two white skin tones
Just curious, how many different white color do you want? I was under the impression that white is literally just one color, maybe also slightly tanned since its skin color we are talking about, but apparently there should be a whole spectrum of "white"? Like a white rainbow or something?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
two white skin tones
Just curious, how many different white color do you want? I was under the impression that white is literally just one color, maybe also slightly tanned since its skin color we are talking about, but apparently there should be a whole spectrum of "white"? Like a white rainbow or something?
1400.png

TedNugent

Arcane
As long as every character doesn't have an upper class English accent, Jesus I hate that trend, especially in high fantasy settings.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
There's an easy solution to that problem. Don't fucking voice anything.

I don't understand where they got this idea that they HAVE to do that. And it's not just the massive burden that it imposes on the writers, but it also limits the writing in other ways, for instance, in the necessity to have to omit descriptions.

In this game, whenever something is voiced they have to skip descriptions and i have to wait for the voice to stop yaspping so i can go back and actually read the whole text. I can only imagine how obnoxious it would be if every single line of dialogue was also voiced.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

I don't understand where they got this idea that they HAVE to do that. And it's not just the massive burden that it imposes on the writers, but it also limits the writing in other ways, for instance, in the necessity to have to omit descriptions.

In this game, whenever something is voiced they have to skip descriptions and i have to wait for the voice to stop yaspping so i can go back and actually read the whole text. I can only imagine how obnoxious it would be if every single line of dialogue was also voiced.
The sales for D:OS.

ferratilis

Magister
Wait, you read the descriptions? In 99% of cases, they add nothing of value. I just read the dialogue text most of the time.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wait, you read the descriptions? In 99% of cases, they add nothing of value. I just read the dialogue text most of the time.

I read everything. It's part of the text why shouldn't i? Why bother putting them there if they didn't want you to read them.

I also used to read all the descriptions in Torment. If text showed up when pointing the mouse over something, i'd read it, and i'm doing the same here.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I read everything.
Bad move in the context of PoE. I suggest these things -
The magical formula to enjoy PoE - skip ALL descriptive text in dialogue, skim through the dialogues just so you can get the gist of what is being said (nobody is saying anything important you can't check in the journal), don't click on golden NPCs, don't click on the tombstone symbols, take only the companion (singular) you like (if any), treat it as one massive dungeon crawl you play for the combat, you can safely skip the stronghold stuff (some adventures give good loot though, but that's a fire and forget thing), turn on disposition markings in dialogue, don't pay too much attention to the setting. Some optional things - put auto-pause on enemy sighting, put slow mode to activate automatically when entering combat, check the box to stop your characters from moving when you engage combat, auto-pause on discovering hidden things with mechanics.

Ninjerk

Arcane

The reason is
:slamdunk:

I read everything. It's part of the text why shouldn't i? Why bother putting them there if they didn't want you to read them.

I also used to read all the descriptions in Torment. If text showed up when pointing the mouse over something, i'd read it, and i'm doing the same here.

Dark Souls lore and story is apparently largely communicated through item descriptions (I've never gotten deep into trying to put the pieces together).

ferratilis

Magister
Let's take it a step further: don't read any dialogues, just press 1 all the time and you'll get the good ending.
:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom