Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
He didn't actually kill them, not directly at least. He was doing some shit and your group just happened to be in the worng place at the wrong time. For all you know he may not be even villanous. The people he sucked dry may have just been willing and it's all part of one of the wierd religions out there in this world.

ferratilis

Magister
Tbh, I felt more invested in both parts of White March than the main plot. Durgan's Battery was such a cool location, as well as the Abbey, with those crazy cultists. The DLC was short, but jam-packed with nice encounters, some good items (sword under the waterfall was cool), and a cool mystery about the dwarves. Sadly, this can't be said about Act 2 in the main game. Act 3, let's not even go there.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Honestly Act 2 isn't that bad. I think the Heritage Hill and sanitarium sections are kind of cool. It's just that the pacing gets fucked up because you arrive in Defiance Bay and there's 10-15 hours worth of side quests. Act 3 has the same problem, except you're already burnt out by the time you get to Twin Elms and just want to speedrun the ending.

Codex Year of the Donut
Tbh, I felt more invested in both parts of White March than the main plot. Durgan's Battery was such a cool location, as well as the Abbey, with those crazy cultists. The DLC was short, but jam-packed with nice encounters, some good items (sword under the waterfall was cool), and a cool mystery about the dwarves. Sadly, this can't be said about Act 2 in the main game. Act 3, let's not even go there.
WM is actually about your character & your affliction, part 2 especially so.

WM appears to have been obsidian's swan song.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Your suggestions would kill an entire genre that is niche anyway, and I'm not talking only about quick loads but your overall autismo ideas.

Niche of obsessively trying to tailor your playthrough to an ending you predetermined and trying to make all dialogues or interactions go exactly as how you have previously envisioned generally reduces your enjoyment of RPGs. Even not very well written ones. It's just a very abrasive way to play any interactive media, it is like trying to change how movies go by making the protagonist always take ideal choices which would make for a very boring narrative indeed.

Just let it go, if your character or party fails a check just deal with it. It will make for a far better gameplay. Bonus points if you just stop trying to please all your companions and let them leave if they leave.

FreeKaner

Would have been pretty cool if
he was one of your previous incarnations and you were both the villain and the protagonist.

I mean

You seem to be the scion of the whole cult of gods as lead by Thaos, in fact you can keep being a villain towards end of the game and become fulfillment of your character's previous reincarnation. Even telling that to imprisoned elf, I forgot her name.

Codex Year of the Donut
Would have been pretty cool if
he was one of your previous incarnations and you were both the villain and the protagonist.

I mean

You seem to be the scion of the whole cult of gods as lead by Thaos, in fact you can keep being a villain towards end of the game and become fulfillment of your character's previous reincarnation. Even telling that to imprisoned elf, I forgot her name.
Yes, and it felt really hamfisted. You never really learn anything about your past life despite having all the reason and ability to do so. Everything you learn about is about Thaos.

Codex Year of the Donut
Your suggestions would kill an entire genre that is niche anyway, and I'm not talking only about quick loads but your overall autismo ideas.

Niche of obsessively trying to tailor your playthrough to an ending you predetermined and trying to make all dialogues or interactions go exactly as how you have previously envisioned generally reduces your enjoyment of RPGs. Even not very well written ones. It's just a very abrasive way to play any interactive media, it is like trying to change how movies go by making the protagonist always take ideal choices which would make for a very boring narrative indeed.

Just let it go, if your character or party fails a check just deal with it. It will make for a far better gameplay. Bonus points if you just stop trying to please all your companions and let them leave if they leave.
"Let the chips fall where they may" is the style I've adopted towards cRPGs and I've found it a lot more fun.

FreeKaner

Yes, and it felt really hamfisted. You never really learn anything about your past life despite having all the reason and ability to do so. Everything you learn about is about Thaos.

It really is a shame, I think removing Thaos completely from the game (an attempt to recreate Irenicus) and just focus on your past and present, focusing on personal themes of rejection or acceptance, in either defiance of your past or fulfillment of it would make for a far, far better narrative. It also plays to strengths of the writers. Obsidian writers seem to be at their best when they focus on personal stories and struggles, while being terrible at writing epic stories.

What's with all these companies but especially Sawyer trying to recreate BG2 instead of BG1.

One of the few times I stopped to think about the game's narrative is trying to figure out and even philosophise whether my character's past reincarnation is my character's past or entirely different character, especially because my character inherits those memories and experiences them in first person. Experiencing the past and choosing the dialogue yourself to create the narrative of your past first person was one of the few well done parts of the main story.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
BTW, i forgot to mention this is what i finally came up with:

18 7 15 15 15 8
Overcoming analysis paralysis during character creation probably is the biggest challenge this game has to offer. One thing that helps me whenever I can't decide how to distribute my stats is to remember that Crowns for the Faithful gives +25 Resolve. That really helps to put things into perspective.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

18 7 15 15 15 8
Overcoming analysis paralysis during character creation probably is the biggest challenge this game has to offer. One thing that helps me whenever I can't decide how to distribute my stats is to remember that Crowns for the Faithful gives +25 Resolve. That really helps to put things into perspective.

Low resolve is only bad at the beginning, when you are alone, because of the low concentration and constant interrupt.

Paladin has high enough resistances that you can skimp on resolve and con and make up for it, as long as you don't main tank.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Look you can waste time if you want. I did half the game before I realized they were just fluff.

o_O I don't have the game installed anymore but I'm positive in the help files it mentions that gold plated NPCs and tombstones are Kickstarter-backer fan rewards and you should avoid them if you want to be fully immersed.

TedNugent

Arcane
Look you can waste time if you want. I did half the game before I realized they were just fluff.

o_O I don't have the game installed anymore but I'm positive in the help files it mentions that gold plated NPCs and tombstones are Kickstarter-backer fan rewards and you should avoid them if you want to be fully immersed.
This is one of the loading screen tips.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

18 7 15 15 15 8

Low resolve is only bad at the beginning, when you are alone, because of the low concentration and constant interrupt.

Paladin has high enough resistances that you can skimp on resolve and con and make up for it, as long as you don't main tank.
Yeah, my point was that obsessing over it is mostly pointless (and I'm saying more for my own benefit than yours, because I do obsess constantly over it). I played a Druid ultra-minmaxed to deal as much damage as possible, but do starting stats really mean that much when a level 4 spell gives +4 Might and +20 Accuracy? I mean, poor Hiravias here starts with Might 14 and Perception/Dexterity 13, and yet he still wrecks everything even on PotD. I've almost cleared the entire game and I still haven't found a single enemy able to survive next to him for more than 1.5 seconds.

Delterius

Arcane
Crowns for the Faithful
Can vouch for that. I refused to learn how to use Barbarians, Paladins, Fighters, Monks and Rogues and I still ran Xoti, the Nahuatl guy, Maneha, Maia, Eder, Pallegina and Devil fo Caroc through both PoEs but it didn't matter because my PC was a Priest and Devotion of the Faithful and Storm of Holy Fire are just that broken.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What's with all these companies but especially Sawyer trying to recreate BG2 instead of BG1.
Imo, PoE1 is a recreation of BG1 -

I proposed once that the flashbacks with Thaos should've been playable, to make them more personal. I think they tried to copy BG1's story structure -> You find yourself not knowing what you are (Bhaalspawn/Watcher) or where to go, a central conflict (Iron Crisis/Hollowborn Crisis) sweeps you up and introduces you to your antagonist (Sarevok/Thaos), you go around trying to get to a big city (Baldur's Gate/Defiance Bay), a political struggle (Iron Throne/Animancy) and coup makes itself apparent (Sarevok trying to kill the dukes/Thaos killing the duc), you go around trying to catch the antagonist (Thieves' Maze/Sun in Shadow). All the while unrelated adventures happen. The execution differs greatly, however, and PoE struggles with coming up with a plot and making the characters in it relevant. It tries to focus too much on each premise, but since it's simultaneously rushed and overwritten none of them can be given a spotlight, so the narrative jumps from one to the other without any precedents.

There is no problem with each of these premises or whether there's an antagonist or not. It would've turned out better had the story been focused on one thing, the game is already bursting at the seams by trying to do too much with a limited budget and time constraint. They could've interconnected everything better, but that would require either more time/money or cutting of different content, like Twin Elms. Which I wouldn't have been opposed to tbh, Twin Elms feels like and is an afterthought. There is an extra act which BG1 doesn't have and could've been cut without the game losing anything, and even gaining something. If one game could benefit enormously from an EE, it's PoE, I kinda hope they do do this at one point.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

18 7 15 15 15 8

Yeah, my point was that obsessing over it is mostly pointless (and I'm saying more for my own benefit than yours, because I do obsess constantly over it). I played a Druid ultra-minmaxed to deal as much damage as possible, but do starting stats really mean that much when a level 4 spell gives +4 Might and +20 Accuracy? I mean, poor Hiravias here starts with Might 14 and Perception/Dexterity 13, and yet he still wrecks everything even on PotD. I've almost cleared the entire game and I still haven't found a single enemy able to survive next to him for more than 1.5 seconds.

Well, in my case i'm fighting against the system so it required a bit of planning.

2 handed Paladins with heavy armor are sub-optmimal. I looked at the system in depth and there's simply no way to get around this. If you want to wear armor, you dual wield. If you want to use a big, fat two hander, you wear as little armor as possible. That's all there is to it. Dual wield is twice as broken on Paladins because of shit like FoD or Strange Mercy proccing twice with two weapons. You can use an heavy ranged weapon with FoD for some nasty alpha strikes (if you use FoD outside of combat, you get a free use), but other than that you are just gimping yourself with two handed weapons.

Which is not to say there's any issue with playing a gimped character, but it was more of a matter of principle. Paladins dual wielding stilettos, muscle Wizards, Rogues with big two handed greatswords. This shit pisses me off so i wanted to "beat" the system as a matter of pride.

Now the dps is still low even with my "min/maxed" build but i'm banking on getting a lot of "killing" blows (especially against enemies with high DR which is where heavy weapons shine) so i'm going to focus on effects that proc on kill or crit, shit like prone, wounding or whatever else i get. At the same time, i'm going to take shit that increases accuracy for myself and the party, and wear items that have procs when GETTING crit or whatever else.

Instead of being like a Barbarian dealing damage with shit like carnage i'm going to be the guy that gets all sorts of crowd control or defensive effects on procs. Originally i was going to use a Kind Wayfarer because Strange Mercy fits into this whole scheme but the Darcozzi made me curious. The fact i can play as a dago wop was just too strange a novelty to pass it up.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
XNNvSZO.jpg

Do all the backer NPCs concentrate all in one location or there's really so fucking many of them? WTF.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You get some good gear out of the ones in Gilded Vale if you kill them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom