Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

RIT_SKUA

Literate
I liked Devil of Caroc a lot
Devil was definitely my favorite companion, followed by Grieving Mother > Pallegina > Durance > Hiravias

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Man, the modern swearing in this game is so fucking try hard.

BTW, i soloed the wolves near those ruins in the first forest.

Me: 1
Avellone: 0

The bear still beat my ass though. Guess i'll have to come back for it.

Blutwurstritter

Scholar
Yeah, ok, I got it. Anyone else care to explain to me why PoE's combat (system) is bad?
It has been a while that I played it but I found the systems to be convoluted. The Infinity games are pretty binary and granular, effects are clear and direct. In Pillars I need to run a excel calculation before I can evaluate all the effects. There were a bunch of straightforward buffs and those were the ones that I always used but the rest of the system carries a lot of unnecessary bloat. And all those weird times on buffs and effects, like 8.4 seconds, 3.2 seconds 17.5 seconds etc. I had a hard time judging if that is long enough to be worth it or not or how it compares to other stuff. And then this gets again affected depending on being a graze or hit or critical, etc. Just a ton of bloat.

It might look good on paper but it wasn't fun for me to play it. And the attack speed/recovery system is also pointlessly complicated and not exactly intuitive. The tooltips and descriptions also often didn't explain properly how they affect your speed. The encounters and bestiary were also bland. Standard fantasy stuff except that they made up some retarded names. The only combat encounter that got stuck in my memory were the annoying ghost thing in the first village and the Adra dragon.

It seems that you have to put in a lot of time just to extract a fair amount of fun from combat. I had no such troubles with Divinity:OS, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Wastelands 2 or the Infinity engine games. I enjoyed PoE combat the least when compared with the aforementioned games. The combat is not a total downer but also not something that would mention as positive aspect recommending the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, i agree the spells in this game are no where near as interesting and lore rich as those in D&D. I read through the manual and almost right away all the spells started to blur with one another.

I'm not gonna comment on the combat system yet as i want to wait until i have a large party and i start fighting enemy casters etc but so far i approve of the engagement system. Shows that they could have implemented attacks of opportunity in the IE games, real time or not, which would have prevented a lot of cheesy kiting tactics.

Then again, i already discovered the first cheesy tactic in this game: exploit the shit out of choke points lmao.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, good to know there's a mod to remove the backer shit. I won't do it in this run so you can all enjoy my reactions in real time but i'll definitely install it for future plays, assuming i like the game enough to replay it more than once.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Honestly, I found the combat fun when I went PotD solo, and if I ever get WM I'll probably do a run through that way.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Never been a solo guy. I like to play with all the toys the game offers. Same reason i never take two of the same class in those games.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
For the sake of fairness, since I spend a lot of time shitting on this game: One thing I will say that's good about the game is that many RPGs these days expect you to 1, 2, 3, 4 through all the dialog options, but here you shouldn't do that.

It also requires you to use your synergies if you play on POTD (either that or spend forever grinding something down with all your 0.2 grazes, etc.)

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
calm.png

This dude really needs to calm down.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, turning off dialoge checks in the option menu was the best thing i did.

For instance, when i met Aloth i was able to prevent the peasants getting slaugheted by picking the options I thought were the bests. Out of curiosity i reloaded that save to see what the checks were and if i had to follow my disposition it would have led to violence, and then further play out of character by making a clever quip about slaughtering them.

Now that i have some party members i'm pondering if i should actually respect into getting an higher resolve to see what options i get there (especially since i can't know whether there's a check or not). I didn't like the first resolve check in the encampement (literally egging them to kill that rogue on porpose).

Is resolve really the asshole dialogue stat or can i roleplay a good guy with it?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Haha, i just noticed the Black Hound art in the inn. Funny. My brain was too retarded to make the connection at first. Need more coffee shiiiiiet.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Given Sawyer's contempt for his players, it's a wonder there's no achievement for talking to all of them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
To be honest that makes them not so bad. You can just pretend they are part of the crowd of background NPCs. If you remove them the world might look a bit depopulated. Unless the mod actually replaces them with the regular passive NPCs.

Napalm

Novice
To be honest that makes them not so bad. You can just pretend they are part of the crowd of background NPCs. If you remove them the world might look a bit depopulated. Unless the mod actually replaces them with the regular passive NPCs.
They look really out of place in some places though. Like you reach that first miserable village with unwashed peasants and gallows tree, and suddenly see backer NPC godlikes standing around in shiny armor and looking super important.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Last edited:

Faarbaute

Arbiter
It's amusing that the most common advice to enjoy the game is to discourage someone from interacting too deeply with most of the systems or aspects of the game. As in this thread, don't obsess about building a character, don't talk to npcs, don't read text, don't bother with the stats, don't bother with the companions, don't bother with the stronghold, don't bother with the reputation system, absolutely don't talk to any backer npcs and so on. It really stands as a monument to Josh Sawyers failed design decisions that you're encouraged to interact with his systems in onley the most superficial ways possible.

Just eat the slop. Don't ask any questions.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just eat the slop. Don't ask any questions.
Literally the other way around - don't eat the slop we encourage not to eat. If you choose to eat it because you are a rebel and nobody tells you what to do, then that's another issue entirely and you can't really complain about the flavor of the slop.

TedNugent

Arcane
Yeah under a microscope, the combat falls apart pretty bad. The mechanics are not great, and are very inferior to AD&D.

But, I still remember quite a few encounters years later, so there’s some good stuff. I think 90% of what I remember is from White March, though. The Ice Dragon, the different adventurer parties that you fight in the snow for bounty hunting, the encounters at Durgan’s Battery. Finding the Stormcaller Bow. The monks at the Moon Pool place or whatever it was called. All very fun, for me at least.

Combat encounter design is better in the White March expansion, but the combat system is still obsfucated.
I don't particularly understand this comment.

Can you please explain what you mean, when you say that the combat system is obfuscated?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom